Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I Don't Fit In (RainbowxRude)

Kerii just continued to stare as he smiled, a slight smile on her face. She didn't know why he was so happy with her answer. She Of course she wouldn't have some boring answer, she was too strange for that. She smiled a bit, not quite sure how to react to his expression. She was quite confused as he suddenly laughed at her question. She didn't reaslize it was that funny.

She rolled her eyes a bit as he admited to enjoying being an ass. She wasn't really surprised when he said he liked writing. She just nodded a bit. he didn't even have to specify, she already knew that he wrote for himself. "Do you want to become a writer?" She asked, just assuming that would be something he would like. He seemed to like reading enough that writing would just seem to come natural.

"Its the only thing I want." Then he realized how strange that must sound and his face turned red. "Its just that I love books...I mean I really love books. My room looks like a library. Some kids want jobs so they can get clothes and things like that. I got my job to buy books. And I want to be like the people who write them. Books are just so..." He closed his eyes and let out a sigh like a boy who was in love before falling back.

He really hoped that she didn't pry into his love for books. It wasn't the most upbeat story and he didn't want to screw up their date. But he couldn't deny her such an obvious question if it was asked. Maybe he could even get a hug if she learned more about him. But that sounded pathetic even in his head.

Kerii smiled a bit as he said it was the only thing he wanted. She nodded a it and then just stared as he tried to explain it a bit better. She nodded a bit more, though she didn't know really what he was talking about. She laughed a bit as he sighed like that. "It sounds like you're head over heels in love with reading." She said, with a grin. She didn't doubt in the least that his room looked like a library. Though she kind of wanted to see it. But she didn't want to give him the wrong impression.

She was a bit curious as to why he liked books so much though. So she decided to ask. "Why do you like books so much?" She asked suddenly. She didn't think he would mind answering such a simple question. She smiled a bit, wondering what would drive someone to like reaing that much. She smiled, though she felt like she was asking all the questions.

Zach let out a small sigh when she asked him that. So he sat up again before staring straight into her eyes. "When I was about 7 my Dad was died. He was very sick and it was just some disease. But when it happened, I didn't really leave my house anymore. And eventually I found his small collection of books. It was only a few but I read them all. And I read them again. I guess you could say I became addicted to them. After all, its nice to be able to get away from real things once in a while."

He gave her a small smile, this one frail and obviously hurting after telling the story. But after rubbing his eyes for a moment, he straighten his glasses and laid back. "And that I why I love reading so much. Or at least that is how I got started. And I want to write to maybe help out someone like me when they need to get away."

Kerii just listened. She didn't know what to say to what he told her. She suddenly looked quite sad that she had even asked. She just looked at him saddly as he continued his story. She felt pretty bad about making him bring it up becuase she knew how it hurt ot have to tell about a family member dying. She now understood why he liked reading so much now though. She completely under stood.

She knew his smile was fake when he gave it. but she didn't really know what to do. She sat there, just staring at hims for a moment. "I'm sorry I asked..." She said obviously feeling bead now. "I know that much be hard to tell people." She said. listened again as he spoke about writing. "Well that's a very good reason to start writing." She said with a slight smile. She didn't know if she really should smile, she still felt a bit sad for asking and hearing that sad story.

Zach sat up and this time gave her a real smile. "Its okay. I mean, I do kind of have a serious obsession with books and it is alright to ask. I could have just told you no. Besides, I kind of like remembering my Dad." He stretched out and opened his latest book on his lap, thumbing through the pages until he got to the one he was looking for. His eyes were on the page but he seemed to be paying attention.

"So...Don't feel bad alright. It was 11 years ago so it doesn't hurt nearly as much." He glanced up for a moment, his eyes dry and his smile showing he felt much better. He had a book and a cute girl and she honestly cared enough to feel bad for even bringing it up. This was a good day and a painful memory couldn't ruin that for him.

Zach's smile made her a bit less sad, enough so that she actually smiled at him. She was happy that he wasn't too sad about it anymore. At least he wasn't one of those guys that acts like their dad died only yesterday. She watched as he opened his book and then started reading, though she didn't think it to be rude at all because he still seemed to be paying attention to her.

She nodded as he said not to feel bad. She was happy for him that he was pretty much over it. She smiled a bit more as he looked at her and his eyes were dry. She just flopped back on the ground, fairly content now. She didn't feel quite as bad, though she did still feel a bit because it was just a sad thing to have to go through. She just smiled though, going back to her position of looking up at the sky and then closing her eyes, soaking in the warm sun.

While she laid back, he started to read seriously. But as he started to read, he started to flip pages like he was skimming through it. If you read as much as he did, words just came naturally. But for once in his life, he found reading a little boring. It was still enjoyable. But it just wasn't as enjoyable for some reason. Then he glanced at Kerii. That was why. She really had no idea how much she effected him.

He closed his book before laying next to her, though giving her space. "So...What do you like to draw?" Zach smiled a little, his book resting on his chest now. He had a thing for girls who enjoyed art or literature. She liked both. It was perfect. He didn't know for sure, but he thought that maybe he could fall in love with her.

Kerii just laid quietly, eventually glancing over at him and noticing how fast he was reading. She didn't know how he could do it. But then again he did read a lot so it was rbably easy for him to read things. She just went back to looking up at the sky and then eventually shutting her eyes, just relaxing as he read. She barely even noticed as he laid next to her. She was on the verge of falling asleep.

She opened one eye and turned her head slightly, looking at his through that eye. She thought for a moment before going back to that same stance. "I usually draw people, but I can normally draw just about anything." She said. SHe wasn't trying to brag, but she really could draw anything. She was starting to like him more and more as she spent time with him, which was a bit surprising for her.

Zach got a small smile when she said that she could draw anything. Then he suddenly got an idea. He stood and went to his car again. This time, he came back with a few stacks of paper bound with metal rings. As he sat down, he put them casually in his lap. There had to be at least three thousands pages there. And after a moment of flipping through them, he pulled out a stack. "How would you feel about reading one of my novels?"

He had a grin on his face now. He was excited. If this worked out, he could even get this published. "Then if you like it, maybe you could do a few cover arts for it...I wanted to try and get this one published and its a horror book just like you like." He seemed like a little kid in a candy store now.

Kerii was a bit confused as he got up suddenly and left to his car again. He kept doing that. And she was pretty sure that he was just going to leave her. She watched as he came back with a stack of papers. She didn't really know what he was expecting to do with those but then when he asked if she wanted to read it she smiled. "Sure, I'd like that." She said with a grin. She had never read a bok that hadn't been published before so she was pretty excited.

Her grin only widened as he suggested she do the cover art. "Really? I could do that?" She asked. He hadn't even seen her art but he was asking her do cover art for his novel. She didn't really know what to say. "That'd be awesome." She said with a full blown smile now. She didn't even care if she liked it or not, she would do the art for it.

Zach figured that she had to be a pretty good artist. After all, people didn't make a habit of drawing unless they were good at it. Besides, cover art didn't have to be a masterpiece. So he didn't think twice about her drawing the art for it. He did think about letting her read it though. After all, no one else had ever read his writing except for his English teacher. But he had been told it was excellent. Still, he was nervous about letting her read it.

That is until he saw that huge smile that is. Then he only smiled back and laid the thick stack of papers across her lap. It was nearly eight hundred pages long and it weighed quite a bit. "I hope you like it. Its not my favorite thing that I have written but its alright. I think you might like it."

Keriijust kept smiling. She really was enjoying the idea of doing art for an actual book. She didn't even doubt that it would get published. She had read some pretty bad books before, and she was pretty sure that since he had so much passion in doing this, and reading that she was positive that if the bad books could get published, then his was sure to.

She smiled as the book was place on her lap. She was a bit surprised that it ws so heavy. She smiled a bit weakly and opened it up to the first page and started reading a bit. She would stop as soon as he started speaking though as she went on reading she found it very intriguing and thought it would be very hard to put down now that she was in to it.

Zach decided to let her read it. After all, he was rather annoyed when people started to talk to him when he was reading. At least if it wasn't a conversation before he opened his book. So he laid back on the grass and let out a long groan. He was so tired. She probably wouldn't mind if he took a nap. So he put his arms above his head as a pillow and closed his eyes. It was almost an hour later when he opened his eyes.

When they did open, he let out a long yawn, not really aware of what was happening around him. But then his mind realized something. He remembered that she had been reading his book. He sat up suddenly and groaned as his head spun. The first thing he did was look around for her.

Kerii was so wrapped up in the book that she didn't even notice that he had fallen asleep. She just kept reading intently. She was enjoying this so much that she had forgot he was even there as well as everything around her. She was quite a bit surprised that he was so good at writing.

By the time that he woke up, she was about onehundred and fifty pages in. When he groaned she stopped reading and looked over at him. She slowly put down the book, smiling at him. She just stared at him for a moment "This is very good." She said, still amazed that he was the one who wrote this. People went to school for years to learn how to write like this, and he hadn't even finished required school and he was this good.

When she said it was good, Zach looked rather surprised. "You really like it? Its not my favorite that I have written. I mean, horror doesn't leave much room for character development. And the descriptions aren't as detailed as I would like. I was in the middle of a really good book when I was writing it so it didn't get all the attention it deserved." And he went on for several minutes like that, talking about all the things he didn't like about that particular novel.

But then he noticed something. His other books had ended up tossed about on the grass from him hitting them in his sleep. He let out a horrified noise before gathering them all up. After a quick inspection he let out a relieved sigh. None of them were damaged. He didn't feel like printing out new copies before he sent them out to publishers.

Kerii just nodded as she asked it she really like it. She just smiled as he went on. She jsut listened to him, looking into his eyes as he did so. She didn't mind at all that he was rambling about all the things he didn't like. She just smiiled a bit bigger as he stopped. "Well for a horror I think the character development was fairly decent. And It was even better if you were in the middl of reading a good book." She said with a grin.

She was a bit worried at the sounds he made but as he just frantically gathered up the scattered papers and looked them over she was releaved. She smiled a bit more, "So, how many books have you written?" She asked, thinking about like three, tops. She didn't think he could have made any more considering the legnth of them.

When she asked that, his face turned a little red. "Well...I have written six books and..." He seemed to think for a long long time. "Twenty two short stories. Seven of my short stories have been published and that company told me if I give them thirty they will make a book of them. So I haven't really been working on novels lately..." He gave her a shy smile. There were benefits to being an insomniac. He had lots of time.

"But enough about me. I drifted off and slept my whole hour away." He dreaded what he had to ask next. "Do you want me to take you home?" His eyes showed how he felt. He was really having a good time with her and he didn't want it to end. Plus, if she wanted to go home, then that would mean she didn't like him as much as he thought.

Kerii's eyes just widened and her jaw just about dropped as he said he had written six novels and twenty two short stories. She almost couldn't believe it. He was only like eighteen and had already written that much and was eight short stories away from then being published. She was quite shocked at that. She didn't know how he could manage to write that much and still have time to study enough to be top of their grade. She just stared at him, her eyes still wide but she had manaded to close her mouth.

She laughed a bit at his comment about sleeping away his hour. "That's fine, You're way more interesting than I am." She said, smiling a bit. At the question of taking her home she just thought about it for a moment and then shook her head. "No, This is actually pretty enjoyable." She said, picking up a dried leaf and putting it in the book to keep her place. She knew that wouldn't hurt the pages and she didn't think he'd be too fond of her dog-earing his page.

"I'm more interesting than you are?" He almost started to laugh at that. "Well there is no way that can be true. I am a two page book. I am a preppy popular kid on one page and a book addicted literature nerd on the other. Pretty easy to pin down." He smiled more at her. "You on the other hand are a whole novel. You are sweet and kind. I know that because you cared about me when I was upset. You love all sorts of things, including books, which is very sexy to me."

He had to take a breath before continuing. "Not to mention, you have the ability to not give a damn about what anyone thinks. Meanwhile, I have been stressing about how you feel about me all day. I may be a bit more abnormal because I work on my writing more than I sleep but you are more interesting by far. I would really love to have a girlfriend like you."

Kerii just listened as he made her sound so great and he was just adverage. She just shook her head. Obviously not agreeing with him. "Oh no no no. You make me sound so interesting and you lame. "I've never even heard of an eighteen year old about to publish a book of short stories and already have written six others. On top of that you're number one in our class. That's impressive." She said. She really didn't think he was that boring. "And on top of that, when you're not being an ass, you're really nice." She said, blushing a bit.

She just stared at him a moment before trying to change the subject a bit. "I'm not all that great. Just because I don't care isn't really something special. I mean I like normal things. People that don't like to read are normally not very bright." She said.She didn't think she was special. She blushed at his statement about wanting a girlfriend like her. She didn't know what, she thought she was just an adverage girl.

"Reading and writing doesn't make me special. It makes me literate. Besides, you are going to do the cover art for a book that will hopefully soon be published. You can do chapter art too if you like. That way you can be on the cover." He smiled a little and moved closer. He didn't know why, but he felt like it was okay to be a little closer now. He wanted so badly to touch her. To put an arm around her or kiss her cheek or something simple like that.

But instead he settled for complimenting her. "And if you aren't telling me you are greatly disliking me, you are very nice too. In fact, you were nice enough to give me a chance even though I was an ass. So I guess we both agree that we think the other one is amazing...Usually people who think the other one is amazing date each other."

Kerii shook her head again. He didn't even know how awesome he was. To be able to write even just one novel, was a feat in itself. To have the patience to write six was just amazing. At least in her eyes. She listened to him though, wondering if she would really want to draw chapter art. She decided she would becuase it would be fun, not just because she wanted to be on the cover. She didn't even notice that he moved closer. She was too busy thinking.

She nodded a bit as he said they agree that eachother is amazing but she stopped suddenly as he said people like that usually go out. She thought about it for a moment, not quite sure what to say about that. "Usually..." She repeated, not sure if she really wanted to go out with him. She wasn't quite sure why she wouldn't, though it was mainly because she was stubborn.

That usually had more of an effect on him than she could ever know. It caused about twenty different emotions all at once. After a few moments though he decided that he was going to try and make her realize that he would be a great boyfriend. "Kerii...I really like you. I think you are an amazing girl. I would love to spend time with you. I don't even mind taking time away from my reading and writing for you."

He hoped that would be enough. After all, the reason he hadn't had a girlfriend over the years was also because he didn't like what it took to keep one around. But he liked Kerii. He thought she was worth the time. And if she felt the same way about him, then he would be happy. If she didn't he would do his best to at least be friends with her.

Kerii just listened to him, not quite sure what to say. She blushed as he said he would even take time away from reading and writing to be with her. She knew that was kind of a big deal for him considering how much he loved those two things. She just stared at him and opened her mouth to reply but nothing came out. She closed her mouth and looked away, thinking a bit more. She really did like him now that he wasn't an ass and with a proposition like that how could she really say no?

She looked back to him, still not sure what to say. "I... uh..." She really was at a loss for words. "Ok." She said, not quite sure if that was even a sufficient answer. She was a bit worried that she would have to spell it out. Sh would be too embarassed and probably end up changing answers. She just blushed even thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom