Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons and Dragons

Ah, alas, C'est la vie.

Unfortunately, I'm something of a vindictive ass. Alvis looks out for Alvis's enjoyment first, and that usually means tramppling someone else's in the process. Not severely, but it happens sure enough. And, I am unrepentant of this. So, any advice I offer is coloured from that.

Alvis Alendran said:
Ah, Drark Heresy! The wonder that is Warhammer 40k made into an RP. It's about damn time they did it too.

Behold, the First Tale of Grendel.

Part is at level 2 (only just, highest has spent 650 experience)
Campaign had them investigating a small cult that was trying to summon a daemon, wreck up part of Ambulon for Khorne, etc. Anyway, the party(Psyker, Scum, Arbitrator, Adept, Techpriest, 2 Guardsmen and an Assassin) had been investigating the rumors of the cult, and generally mucking about. Anyway, they mess up horribly on trying to find the cult, and don't even stumble upon them until after the summoning ritual has started, but come with some local administrators in tow. What follows is a massive bloodbath, resulting in 23 bloody as fuck deaths (2 being party members, the Scum and the Assassin). This was all DURING a summoning ritual to Khorne, who is just so pleased with the impromptu slaughter that instead of sending in some pussy lesser daemon, he sends in a fucking Charnel Daemon. So, it was at this point that in theory, the only way for the remaining acolytes to accomplish this mission was for at least some of them to escape long enough to make an exterminatus call and MAYBE make it back to a transport.
The very first person who got to act after the Charnel Daemon appeared was the Adept. He decides to charge the daemon, and hopefully buy a scant moment or two for the rest of the party to get a head start (noble sacrifice and all). So, he charges it with his knife (he had opted to trade in his staff for a knife earlier, just for flavor reasons). He successfully hits it (impressive, when he has a weapon skill of 27) and proceeds to roll a ten. We were all impressed, and then he successfully confirmed rightous fury, so he got to roll again. Ten. By this point we have started roaring, as we find this hilarious, and joke about how crazy it would be if he killed it.
He kept rolling. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Ten. Nine.
A level two adept one shotted a Charnel Daemon with an ordinary knife with room to spare.

Ah, and it's moments like that, that make it all worth while, innit?

But seriously, you guys were going to try and call Exterminatus for ONE daemon? A little overkill!

Alvis Alendran said:
Ah, and it's moments like that, that make it all worth while, innit?

But seriously, you guys were going to try and call Exterminatus for ONE daemon? A little overkill!

It gets better.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/3883192/">http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/3883192/</a><!-- m -->

Well, I'll give Grendel this much. He's got guts. Short on brains, but guts. :p

I find it sad that he'd likely be in all kinds of shit just for using the Juggernaught like that, depending on his boss. After all, some like the idea of using Chaos against itself, and others...well don't.

Do you have a 40k background as well, or just Dark Heresy?

Alvis Alendran said:
Well, I'll give Grendel this much. He's got guts. Short on brains, but guts. :p

I find it sad that he'd likely be in all kinds of shit just for using the Juggernaught like that, depending on his boss. After all, some like the idea of using Chaos against itself, and others...well don't.

Do you have a 40k background as well, or just Dark Heresy?
I prefer the setting overall, not the game. I'm not a very tactical person, so DH is more my style.

Even if I really, really, like Orks.

I love tactics.

I was playing in a campaign once where we had a party of four, one of use had no gear what so ever

(all respectively level 8)

And we were outnumbered 5 to 1 by enemies that the DM had shenaniganed to be way more of a threat to us than they really should have been.

In the end I was the only one that made it out alive because I'm good like that.

That's actually one of the things I like about the whole Warhammer scene. You can dislike the game a great deal, but still love the story told by the background. You're pretty hard pressed to find another system with that rich of a background. Not to mention one that's as harsh, brutal, and dark without crossing the line into the absurd.

Tactics saved one of my short campaigns. Only two players, and they hitched a ride on a caravan. At night, they're attacked by a bunch of zombies. They are 1st level. There are 40 zombies. The general advice for them was 'the hills are over there. Head for 'em boys.' Of course, being who they wree, they instead charged in. -facepalm- I figured, well, that's the shortest campaign I've ever run.' Of course when they start getting pushed back, one of them runs back, and pushes a wagon close to another one, making a 5 foot corridor. Well, zombies are mindless, so they bottle-necked themselves, and they managed to kill all of the undead. I was annoyed because they were now off the map of the campaign, but impressed they figured it out like that.

Long lasting magical Darkness, Ebon Eyes, and really nice death/sneak attack made my day a lot better.

Not a bad combination really. Other set up to screw a party over?

6 1st level drow rogues. Hit everyone with farie fire, then darkness blanket the area. The party has a 20% miss chance on every swing, and can't sneak attack on a concealed target. Fire negates all that on them. Cue screaming rape of a party.

The Largest Dungeon?

I dunno, biggest I've been in has just started.

It's an actual adventure package, World's Largest Dungeon. My loacl hobby store has it, and I've talked to a few people who've played it. They played for over a year and were barely past the second level or somesuch.

Remind me not to play with you Misha, you'd specifically go out and try to get us all eaten.

Nah, when it comes to games I'm more masochistic than sadistic. I go out of my way to get MYSELF killed rather than everyone but me. "OH BOY! Adult Red dragon? Let me, the halfling wizard (I know bad combination, but it's an example of physical squishiness) tank it!"

Oi...do you realize just how much money you're costing your party?

Back
Top Bottom