Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons and Dragons

I'm waiting for the Hulking Hurler class.

Throwan invisible gnomes would kick ass.

Hero said:
Then I'd assume most rpgs would chafe your derier.
Actually, no. It's just D&D 4.0 that bugs me. Call me old school, but I was taught 3.5 more often than not. If you really wanna call me that, I even had some experience with a WWII version of GURPS.

BlisteredBlood said:
What I don't like about D&D 4.0 is that virtually EVERYBODY has a power of some sort or another. It's like an absolute ripoff of World of WarCrack.
I laughed, because the two play nothing like one another.

FIRST off, you have to understand something: EQ and ALMOST ALL MMOs are based, in some way or another, off of Pen and paper, traditional games, like DnD. Attack rolls, feats, spells, skills, everything. Even putting together a lasting party and making your OWN stories... that's all very DnD/Gurps/DarkHeresy. I'll break this down, point by point.

POWERS:
Fact is, playing a fighter in 3.5 wasn't really all that fun. Every turn was like a freiken flowchart.

Am I flanking? ------- Yes ------- FULL ATTACK
|
|
|
|
|
No------------Shift to flank ------------FULL ATTACK

Sure, maybe you can bull rush or trip, or disarm, but nothing is gonna get the job done faster than full attack.
Meanwhile, the caster classes are spending your turn leafing through Unearthed Arcana or the PHB, crossreferencing their spell list, so they can know whether to fireball, MM, or something totally outlandish like dropping an iron wall and having the barbarian push it over.

In 4e, everyone has multiple discrete abilities that are impressive and fun to use, making it easier to reference them, and makes combat much smoother and faster.

SKILLS AND OUT OF COMBAT SPELLS: Still there. In fact, the skills are even BETTER, more condensed. I seriously doubt anyone used Use Rope.
And there's more and more Rituals every sourcebook. Soon we'll have the Spell compendium again.

Call me old fashioned, but v3.5 was how I was truly brought up. Secondly, I'm not totally bashing on v4.0 or other tabletops altogether, all I'm saying is just v4.0 just has certain elements in it that I think don't gel together with me.

BlisteredBlood said:
Call me old fashioned, but v3.5 was how I was truly brought up. Secondly, I'm not totally bashing on v4.0 or other tabletops altogether, all I'm saying is just v4.0 just has certain elements in it that I think don't gel together with me.
Ah, well, in that case, enjoy yourself.

BlisteredBlood said:
Hero said:
Actually, no. It's just D&D 4.0 that bugs me. Call me old school, but I was taught 3.5 more often than not. If you really wanna call me that, I even had some experience with a WWII version of GURPS.
This made me giggle. 3.5 is so not old school.

Hero said:
BlisteredBlood said:
Hero said:
This made me giggle. 3.5 is so not old school.
Yeah, you want oldschool, play Chainmail.

Hero said:
Ahh, so before I was even alive then?
:lol:
I suppose. Hold on while I regale you with tales of origin! :geek:

You see, before DnD was even a Heroic adventure game, it was a wargame, with 'hero' characters and simple rules for combat between these heroes that were different than the rest of the game.

Eventually, they decided that they liked this secondary system so much, they expanded it into a Dungeons and Dragons extra bit.

And since it was waaaay cheaper and simpler to play, DnD blossomed, and Chainmail went to the great sourcebook in the sky. :ugeek:

Any game you play is only ever going to be as good as the players and DM really. I've had a great character built, and spent a few days fleshing out some back story for him. The group I joined were complete assholes, and I dropped out of the campaign in two sessions from the sheer unmitigated stupidity. Some people like 4th (Not one of them), some like 3.5, and some poeple hold out with even older systems. It's all in what appeals to you. Some people like fiendishly complicated games. Some want it simple. It's all just a matter of preference.

You have a point Alvis.

+2 spiffy points. What they do, I don't know. But we'll find an application for them.

And anymore I really just want to cut my D&D group in half and start up fresh with just like...two or three people. No character doubling just a small party for the attention it gives all the players. I'm a bit overwhelmed with six players at once.

Been there. Done that. Fairly regularly actually. I hang around with a group of about a dozen or so people. And they all wanted in. So, now I run two games a week, splitting them in half. (Tried running one huge game. I almost tweaked an hour in. (Note: When the DM tweaks in a room full of close quarter weapons...head for shelter!)

That's kinda how mine is. I've got a group of half a dozen people and they ALL want in on every game we play. One of my friends runs a game that I play in and suddenly we've got like six players when there used to be just two.

Then I start running a game and the party gets massive.

We tried play testing 4e pre-made adventures with three people and suddenly we have six again. UGH!

That's when you draw a big "Fuck Off" line in the sand for them. Large groups suck. I was talking to Rage of Aeons a bit ago, and he's apparently got a waiting list of five people who all want in on his regular game.

I know, but I see all of these people regularly, they're all my friends and not just D&D buds.

I haven't the heart to tell them to fuck off.

I just want a nice, closenit group. Less shenanigans, less whining, less party splitting. Because god damn I hate splitting the party.

Well, you don't have to tell them to literally fuck off. But declaring full group, see about joining other game, might work out better.

Already well in, so not much I can do now without butchering my friends feelings.

Back
Top Bottom