Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dungeons and Dragons

Hero

Hero For Everyday
I was hesitant to make this thread remember that most people in the world are completely against D&D because they lack brainular cogs.

And then I remembered I was on Blue Moon and there was a Magic: The Gathering thread on page one and nerdtastic hobbies are accepted at least begrudgingly.

And so I make a thread based around D&D, not just discussion about new releases and events, but also favorite D&D stories.

I know I've got some awesome ones from my group.

But I think I'll open with a topic of discussion: What do you think of 4th edition so far?

My opinion:

I've played both 3.0-3.5 and 4th edition now. Granted in 3.5 I had almost no upper limitations to the crazy stuff I could do to my character, my favorite build was actually my spell thief/assassin. Oh yeah, I killed mages like there was no tomorrow, as it's widely known that mages are squishy yet horridly dangerous if left alive and unchecked. But that point aside I'm actually enjoying 4th edition more than 3.5. In 3.5 if you wanted to play a caster and your DM didn't force you to hustle about your actions like you're really supposed to combat would drag for hours, when the fighter or barbarian's turns would end within seconds of their initiative the cleric or wizard would sit there gawking at the PHB or possibley the spell compendium like idiots trying to decide what's best for the situation.

In this respect I love 4th edition, by limiting what you can do but making the abilities more accessable it stream lined combat to a much more enjoyable pace, campaigns and battles go so much smoother now that instead of having to listen to someone go, "I cast...." And then wait for half an hour while he/she decides it becomes a matter of, well you've got two encounters, a couple at wills and a daily, do you feel like opening with gusto or would your rather hold out for the boss?

Some might say that the lack of choices is a bad thing but I love it, making the game less complex makes it more inviting to new players. One of my friends that refused to play with us because she hated doing so much reading is now playing a Tiefling Sorceror and loving every second of it because the game is much more player friendly.

And there's nothing like having Goliaths as a standard race now. Hurray for +2 con and +2 str!​

Lulz, only race I'll play... DM's are hesitant about. :3 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel.htm">http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel.htm</a><!-- m -->

I have no opinions on 4th edition. Haven't played it. I stopped just a bit after 3.5 came out actually.

however, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of reading tho.

TheDarkerMe said:
Lulz, only race I'll play... DM's are hesitant about. :3 <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel.htm">http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel.htm</a><!-- m -->

Looked at it, read a bit of it, saw the statistics and decided I might guide you towards a different choice.

Raptorans. Found in 3.5 supplemental book Race Of The Wild they don't have any stat bonuses but they have wonderful abilities and a fully fleshed out culture.

DJBayview said:
I have no opinions on 4th edition. Haven't played it. I stopped just a bit after 3.5 came out actually.

however, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of reading tho.
I recommend, it's actually really fun. I played through the pre-made heroic tier 1-4th level campaign and had loads of fun. So much that I updated the campaign I'm currently running into 4th edition.

Oddly enough the transition wasn't hard at all.

Warlocks are a standard class.

Sorceror was just released in the players hand book 2 and both of them are extremely potent attackers.

The Sorceror's wild magic makes me grin in delight at the bonuses they get at random. Like on the roll of a 1 once they hit paragon level they can roll a d6 and depending on the roll it could either just miss or critically hit.

Warlocks are great in the fact that they can curse and deal extra damage on top of reducing defenses to crippling levels.

And Darker can I ask why you love it so much? Have you read Raptoran?

Because comparing the two I think the Raptoran is actually better when it comes to playability. Sure they can't fly until they hit level 5, but the fact that they're wings can be used in multiple ways makes them impressive, not only that but they can use the supremely powerful foot bow.

To put it quite frank, I'm someone that prefers a more attractive character. If I wouldn't fuck the character, I wouldn't play it. The race you showed me, isn't attractive to me. XD Sorry ^^;; A little... emm selfish and shallow of me... But I like my characters to be attractive, especially for my friends that may draw them. Raptoran's just aren't gonna cut it for me. Plus, they don't have the Glassteel capabilities. I LOVE the thought of weapons made outta crystal.

DJBayview said:
wtf what?

they turned a sorcerer into a fucking wild mage?!
ja;dflkja;gkja;sdkjfakjhjhf

anger.
No no no bub!

Don't get mad yet. Wild Mage and 4th edition Sorceror's aren't that similar.

The Sorceror has choices for where they get their source powers. They can chose either Chaos or Dragon magic. Both provide their own bonus.
But the Sorceror is not a wild mage. They have random abilities if you pick Chaos magic, but aside from they they are primarily super effective strikers that can hit any defense you really care to blow up. And on top of that most of their abilities not only do massive amounts of damage but also leave behind a magical residue that hinders their stricken opponents.

To site an ability, lvl 1 encounter power: Explosive Pyre.

Ranged 10, Charisma vs Reflex(defense not saves) 2d8 damage + charisma modifier fire damage, until the start of your next turn any enemy tthat enters a square adjacent to your target or starts in a square adjacent takes 1d6 fire damage instantaniously. No save.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition!

3.0 and 3.5 implemented too many damn rules and 4.0 is almost too streamlined for my taste... Nothing can quite compare to the awesomeness that was a well played 2nd edition campaign.

AD&D killed my soul.

As did the THACO style defense system.

I played AD&D the very first time I ever played D&D and I died a little inside. It was the most unfriendly game to ever approach.
It was like the creators put little monsters inside the books that ate your brains and eyes as soon as you opened them.

2nd edition was fun to play on the computer. ie baldur's gate 1.

but that's about it.

and that's better. that sounds fairly interesting actually.

Or Chaos Bolt, if rolled well Chaos bolt could start your battle off with 1d10 damage to every enemy on the field.

As an unlimited usage At-Will ability.

That was part of the beauty that was AD&D 2e. You had to have some semblance of intelligence to actually play it or DM it. The THAC0 system was actually well thought out and easy to remember if you actually played nearly as much as I used to.

Now, in the defense of the 4th edition, I do like the fact that they actually give examples of experience gains for good role-playing and quest completion aside from simply making a completely combat based system. The new system is streamlined and easy for the layman that has never picked up a D&D product in the past to learn the game. Someone who has never played a classic pencil and paper RPG system can easily pick up the books and create their first character without much assistance from the GM at all. Also if you have access to DDI (Dungeons and Dragons Insider) you can get the character generation tools that they have for the computer and install them to help with creating RPGA sanctioned characters.

I've played so many pencil and paper RPGs over the years that I'm likely to miss some in this list, but I have played the following and probably a lot more:
Chainmail
Dungeons and Dragons Core Rules
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st and 2nd editions)
Dungeons and Dragons 3, 3.5 and 4.0
GURPS
MERP
Rifts
Shadowrun
Shadowpunk
Mechwarrior
Warhammer 40,000
Elf Quest

I know I'm missing a bunch. However, I was an avid gamer and being in accelerated classes in school made it where the only people that wanted to hang out with me were other kids that were hyper-intelligent and many of the older ones were heavily into the RPGs of the era... I started playing when I was in 3rd or 4th grade and didn't really stop until 1997 when I spent more time with MUDS and other online gaming options (Play by email, chatroom D&D, Sierra's "The Realm", EverQuest and currently EverQuest 2 and World of Warcraft.)

I still love my old 2nd edition games and really wish I could get back with many of the people that played these games together back in the late 80's and early 90's.

First time I played I was in 7th grade and my DM was completely and totaly idiotic.

I left behind the pencil and paper when I discovered computers and MMOs and social opportunity online and off.
I'm more familiar with 2nd and 3rd edition than I am with 3.5 and certainly not 4.
GURPS was fun, shadowrun was cool from what I remember.

I was a Warhammer 40k fellow. I took my 'nids and wiped many a tabletop.
I quit that too after a while.

Hero said:
Or Chaos Bolt, if rolled well Chaos bolt could start your battle off with 1d10 damage to every enemy on the field.

As an unlimited usage At-Will ability.

=D And with the PHB2's tooth of chaos used as an implement, all you have to do is hit the guy without worrying about your roll being even or odd.

I ended up preferring a 3.0/3.5 hybrid over 1st/2nd (oi)/OD&D... at least it made an attempt at being balanced.

I never really had a problem with the spellcaster issue. I tended to have the entire fight planned out before I took my first turn... The DM learned to solve that issue by making sure I never had a chance to regain spells : / Fights in 3rd/3.5, Shadowrun or L5R usually take longer to describe in cinematic detail then they do to roll and plan out. Exalted as well, at least at low to mid levels...

Gestalt is wicked, especially at epic levels. Want to do that again >_>

Hmm, I always have the caster issue. They're sooooooo dumb.

And my cleric in the party has an unnatural obsession with entangle, even when it doesn't work in the situation.

SHE ENTANGLED MY ROGUE AND GOT ME MAULED TO DEATH BY A DIRE WOLVERINE!

I've had an interest in D&D or similar things (Warhammer was another thing I was interested in), but I don't have any bloody idea where to find people to play with, and I feel like it's gone past my time to get started =[ Any tips?

It's never too late to get started.

And as for tips, first off, do you have a local comic book shop that you could visit?
If so, go there and start asking around. If you're shy about asking then simpley show interest in the D&D merchandise and more likely someone will end up talking to you about it. Because nerds can't help but talk about nerd stuff.

Other than that if you really can't figure out how, once D&D insider releases their web based system you should be able to just play online.

Other than that the best you can do is try to get your friends interested and if all else fails attempted to scoure the net for forums based around the game.

Think I'll just leave this here...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo[/youtube]

I'ma monster, RAWR!

Back
Top Bottom