Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bunny Character Creation

Dear User,

This thread is not limited to literacy level, nor has labeled itself with any tag of literary status. The purpose of the thread is to guide character creation, enhance character individuality, aid in creating suitable character introductions, feed character growth, support character dynamics, outline appealing character interaction, as well as improving the integration of one’s character based on the standards of a role play.

Each segment includes helpful hints, lead by example of Sebastian and Delilah and prince and princess (and under my perception and opinion) of what a good character entails. If in the content below you find yourself disagreeing with my opinions discontinue use of this thread.

The thread is for use of individuals looking to create upstanding characters, NOT to debate my ideals of character creation.

Section I: Character Build

The character build should be basic, a simple outline, fairly unembellished.

There is a large variation between individual applications. Each character sheet ( A term often used in old Dungeon and Dragons character creations...) is created specifically to be of relevance to the role play. Your character application is the foundation of the creation process as well as your ‘ticket’ into the role playing community.

In some cases a role play won’t even specify for a character application, however despite this not being a requirement it’s important to create one for your own benefit. A skeleton character sheet, per say...

Wisedom from Bunny: If you build on sand your character shifts and is easily washed away. Creating a solid foundation is the most important step to character creation.

Due to the large variety of applications and standards of what character creation should start with, I’ve constructed a standard application observed below:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
History:

(Assuming you have no character in mind.) Some applications can be daunting, while still others, even as small as the one above, can put pressure on a creator. Logically, you would begin pondering on a name, however- experience will eventually tell you that before you develop anything you must develop first a gender, then a past in reference to the storyline. While, many would not agree with this order it’s easier to create your character if you begin with where the individual came from as well as their obvious gender. Experiences you’ve had in the past have a direct effect on the person you are today. By filling out the history first you have already begun to shape the most extensive installment of your character; personality.

The History is often the hardest, most tedious of the application and because it gives your character direct relevance to the storyline. It’s important that you begin to shape your character based on this. If not, your character creation may become a chore.

To begin, focus on generalizations. Observed below is a list of questions that should be answered in any basic character history:

Where was your character born?
(i.e. A small suburban neighborhood on the outskirts of…-)
How did your character grow up?
(i.e. Within a struggling middle class family…-)
What’s your characters family situation ?
(i.e. One among three offspring under the guardianship of father…-)
What was the most impacting event of your character’s life?
(i.e. The death of mother…-)
Why and how has your character come to be where they are?
(i.e. This is a question in relevance to the specific storyline…-)

The personality can be just as challenging, but now that you have the basic outline of the history you can begin to understand in what direction your character is leading. Again, you can either focus on generalizations or, create a list of adjectives that will create the ‘skeleton’ of personality. Below is not only a list of questions to answer, but also a list of relevant adjectives. Remember, base your personality outline on negative and neutral flaws.

How does your character react emotionally?
(i.e. Overly dramatic, easily upset, easily angered…-)
How does your character react mentally?
(i.e. Dwells, over thinks, easily distracted…-)
How does your character react physical?
(i.e. Confrontational, stubborn, unwilling to listen…-)
What are your character’s Fears? (Negative flaws)
(i.e. Pain, uselessness, unworthiness…-)

Adjectives: Aggressive, Pigheaded, Self centered, Illogical, Emotional, Hysterical, Exasperating.

The appearance is by far less challenging than the previous two endeavors, and often the most distinguished of character creation. Your character’s physical description also has basic question answer format to abide by. Even if a picture is an available option a limited physical description should be presented realistically.

Physical appearances reflect character personality as well as character history. Scars, marks as well as build are evidence of a event in history the character endured. (Can you see how even the character’s appearance adds depth?)

Questions to be answered regarding a character’s physical appearance:

How tall is your character?
(i.e. 5’8”…-)
How much does your character weigh?
(i.e. 146lbs..-)
What is the skin color/orientation of your character?
(i.e. Pale…-)
What are the defining marks of your character?
(i.e. Lightly Freckled…-)
What color are the eyes and hair of your character?
(i.e. Hazel; Strawberry Blonde…-)
What length/texture is the hair of your character?
(i.e Neck; Straight…-)

Finally the easiest step that symbolizes the ending of your basic character build, the name and age. Give careful thought to this, for it will impact you character interactions as well as your character development. Someone of an older age tends to be more mature, with more well defined talents, however they are often more resistant to changes to their attributes or habits. While someone younger will be, of course, the opposite in most generalizations…

Name: Delilah
Appearance: 5’8” and 146 lbs, with pale, lightly freckled skin. Strawberry blonde hair falls straight against her neck.
Personality: Aggressive, Pigheaded, Self centered, Illogical, Emotional, Hysterical, and Exasperating, Delilah is easily distracted. She’s highly confrontational, and easily upset and angered. She fears emotional pain, and is concerned with being useless or unworthy, despite this she is usually unwilling to listen to what many have to say, negative or positive.
History: Born in a small suburban neighborhood Delilah grew up with two fellow siblings. Her mother passed when she was young, and therefore she lives under the care of her father. The family struggles to remain stable in middle class society. (No storyline in relevance to this character…-)

Name: Sebastian
Appearance: 5’10” 163lbs, with peachy, rough skin, lightly calloused. Tussled light brown hair, curling slightly from his scalp.
Personality: Solemn, Introverted, Hot headed, Pessimist, and Untrusting, Sebastian takes things to heart, and usually holds grudges. He’s easily deterred or discouraged, and fears dependency. He rarely concerns himself with the feelings of others and is a man of habit. Sebastian is outright arrogant.
History: Born in the hustle of the city in a high rising penthouse, Sebastian grew up as an only child in the fanciful life of the rich. His mother and father divorced and he was forced to find independence. He struggles to remain stable while pursuing his dreams. (No storyline in relevant to this character…-)

Section II: A look into you and your Character...

This thread is to be used as a tool to inspire, guide and open new doors to character depth.
Contrary to popular belief, the first step of character creation does not begin with an application. To proceed in your characterization you must first define the following:

-Yourself .
-Your Desires.

What’s the relevance of this to character creation? It’s a significant familiarity among role players. Commonly, a creator may be reflected directly into their creation.

Consciously or subconsciously we have placed ourselves into a specific assortment of adjectives that describe us physically as well as both mentally and emotionally. (i.e.: Passive, Aggressive, Delicate, Hardy, Dominate, Submissive, Wise, Satirical, Judgmental, Deceiving, Temperamental, Understanding, Pondering..-) While, to balance this, we also, again; consciously or subconsciously find ourselves desiring to be or have different faults, talents, physical traits as well as emotional and mental attributes. (i.e.: Be more intelligent, be more physically arousing, be less fearful…-)

Due to this, when creating a character, a writer will fall into one of three categories; though it may vary slightly with each individual.

The first most commonly known category is a mix of both what the creator desires and selective characteristics of themselves. This will often result in what is know popularly as a ‘Mary Sue’. (A character with generic traits that excels at most every endeavor.)

This type of character creation is based on neutral or positive characteristics from the creator as well as desires. These combinations create a ‘perfect human’ but, holds little interest.

The second category is based on desires and often times is used when ‘Gender Bending’. (A writer who creates a character of the opposite gender.) This type of character is based on the creator’s wants in attributes of a partner or companion. If done correctly this type of character can be the most stimulating as well as challenging. However, this type of character creation is still disgustingly prone to generic traits. (Refer to ‘Mary Sue’)

The Third, and final category is based on both previous character types. This creator enhances certain characteristics to overshadow others. Often times the character will balance on extremes, (i.e. Reluctant to be social, yet desires to be social, and when becoming social is friendly while being aloof.) This type of character is often confusing, and while humans are a mix of contractions, it leaves fellow characters pondering your true intent.

So you see, you have a significant impact on your character’s creation, whether creating it in your own image or creating it with desire. While the character creation types are not wrong they lack something fundamental…

It’s widely known that humans are not perfect, thus your character shouldn’t be perfect. How can you avoid this? Create a character based on faults. Crazy? No- humans are a combination of negative and neutral faults. (Negative faults are flaws that hinder [i.e. Easily provoked] while neutral faults are flaws that define. [i.e. Clumsy]) By designing your characters on negative and neutral faults you ensure a unique individual. However, don’t forget to add spices of positive attributes.

Remember, we are all perfect faults of imperfect perfections.

Section III: Negative, Neutral, Positive

Use your opinions of negative flaws to your advantage. If you happen to be a very disagreeable person in reality, think of the attributes or annoyances of your day to day interaction with another individual. You may not wish to use the specific attributes in your beloved character, however, it will help you sharpen the personality of your characters when having a tangible comparison. [I.e. Talks too much. ]

Remember, negative flaws hinder interaction or cause conflict. This is important to a character’s dynamic with your partner(s) character(s); even to the story line. [I.e. Prince has a bad temper, while princess rises to the occasion, causing divide in allegiances in the kingdom.] But, don’t forget to define. [I.e. Princess often cries in anger. (A simple cork can add a dynamic. We know that she is angry, but in her anger she is vulnerable. The action is specific to her and adds more depth to her anger. From a mere neutral “flaw” it can be assumed that she doesn’t wish to fight with the prince. Adding more depth into the situation and interaction without even writing it. This saves boring explanation and allows the readers/partner to sink into the story rather than detailed and mechanical explanation. )] If you are still confused as to what I mean, think of this:

“The princess was angry at the prince, but more so sadden at his reaction. Though she did not show it she secretly felt that he hated her. So her anger arose. But, he would never know her true feelings even as she went to hide her tears.”

ZOMG-- Boring smut response. While, something like this:

“The princess was angry with the Prince. (Duh) Trembling she fought the tears as her vision blurred. It was no use, silken droplets slid down flushed cheeks, lingering on the dimple of her frowning lips before rolling down her chin. Unhindered in her frustration she turned her back, her stature stiff, “Leave!” She demanded, her voice without quiver or sniffle.”

It can be assumed that whatever he said has hurt her. Her pride has made her angry, instead of cowering. If you can not see the depth difference, please begin at the introduction again before reading on.

Now that we have discussed Negative and Neutral attributes that hinder and define lets talk about positive characteristics. Positive attributes are there to enhance character interaction. Positive points of your character should be traits that do not impede, but encourage character interaction. [I.e. The princess loves sex] But, remember, like negative traits, a neutral trait should always balance it. NEUTRAL TRAITS DEFINE. [I.e. The princess loves sex against the wall, on the floor, in the water and on the balcony during public balls] Obviously, if the princess loves sex it makes it easier for your partner to approach her. As she will have a social intent. The fact that you can define this “Positive” trait with neutral traits allows a more specific interaction.

Instead of the princess just having sex with a character. You have pointed out that your character (the princess) is ready and willing to change the scenario to her benefit. Even giving ideas and feeding the creativity to your partner. You have created many interactive options for your fellow role-player by defining with neutral traits.

Are you beginning to see why character creation is so important to role-playing?

Personal opinion weighs heavily on character creation. Meaning, if you feel that liking to have sex, for instance, is not a positive trait then you may want to make sure your partner agrees. However, the rule for positive traits is that it ENCOURAGES character interaction, but does not hinder like negative attributes do.

You have now embellished and enhanced your character. Don’t forget however, that despite having a skeleton outline of a character (Which is very important) that the storyline will impact reactions.

Take note: Your character will change and develop. Perhaps grow more mature, or learn to control more of the negative attributes that hinder interactions. They will always keep their neutral traits though, and may even find more negative characteristics.

But, throughout everything remember: Define, detail-- and most importantly.. Be aware of your partner’s wants and needs.

Thank you for reading the basic guide of character creation. Flame away.

Frankly, I found it informative. Being an avid roleplayer for about six of seven years now, I can honestly say I've learned something that made sense.

Wow. I'm glad. I was afraid to click back here... May I ask which part you found most informative or helpful?

Section III specifically. I had never really thought of basing characters off of neutral characteristics rather than the positive before.

I could so write something like that for creating Super Heroes and Villains.

Why is it that so many people just want to make a villain evil with no real motivation other than to watch stuff blow up and be some over powered ass?

Villian are often more in depth characters than anyone else. As they have more hinderances in social interaction. So often people can't play them well in a interactive role play.

In fact, in my opinion, a good villian doesn't seem like a villian at all, as there is so much depth and understanding to be had. However, what makes a villian is when their reactions to things are more extreme than negative flaws. I played a vampiress villian for years. If you could call her a villian. She had her own motivation and turbulant background but had more negative flaws than positive. Speaking of which she will probably be on this site soon. As Ducky and I are starting up the RP again. Artemis has been around for 3 years along with her sister Iset. It can get pretty intense in the violence and gore.

Corporal Bunny said:
Villian are often more in depth characters than anyone else. As they have more hinderances in social interaction. So often people can't play them well in a interactive role play.

In fact, in my opinion, a good villian doesn't seem like a villian at all, as there is so much depth and understanding to be had. However, what makes a villian is when their reactions to things are more extreme than negative flaws. I played a vampiress villian for years. If you could call her a villian. She had her own motivation and turbulant background but had more negative flaws than positive. Speaking of which she will probably be on this site soon. As Ducky and I are starting up the RP again. Artemis has been around for 3 years along with her sister Iset. It can get pretty intense in the violence and gore.

I failed at spelling and I apparently can't edit. Too early in the damn morning for me.

Villian are often more in depth characters than anyone else. As they have more hindrances in social interaction. So often people can't play them well in a interactive role play.

In fact, in my opinion, a good villain doesn't seem like a villain at all, as there is so much depth and understanding to be had. However, what makes a villain is when their reactions to things are more extreme than negative flaws. I played a vampires villain for years. If you could call her a villain. She had her own motivation and turbulent background but had more negative flaws than positive. Speaking of which she will probably be on this site soon. As Ducky and I are starting up the RP again. Artemis has been around for 3 years along with her sister Iset. It can get pretty intense in the violence and gore.

Lex Luthor.

I use him as an example because he whole heartedly beleives that he is going to save the world from Superman.

Not just seeing Superman as a threat, but restablishing human perseverance and drive to succede.

Oh, come on. If you've heard of Superman, you know his greatest enemy is the human genius businessman Lex Luthor.

It's basic cultural knowledge. Which you'd know if you weren't... AN ALIEN!

((DUN-DUN-DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!))​

(in which a common comic-book trope is employed in the context of a message board post, demonstrating a sudden unexpected twist to a character)

Yeah, whether you like it or not you know who Lex Luthor is. You're lying through your teeth if you said you've never even heard of his name. I don't really care for superman and I know Lex Luthor.

Also, from what I gathered, your writing's a little too purple for my taste, Bunny. You should include that in your guide, how to write without purpling it up too much. Unless you did, I just glanced over it.

Wiki's definition on purple prose:

Purple prose is a term of literary criticism used to describe passages, or sometimes entire literary works, written in prose so overly extravagant, ornate, or flowery as to break the flow and draw attention to itself. Purple prose is sensually evocative beyond the requirements of its context. It also refers to writing that employs certain rhetorical effects such as exaggerated sentiment or pathos in an attempt to manipulate a reader's response.

Also, what do you mean by that MM? I wasn't criticizing the guide, but the samples. The samples which you stated you 'don't know about.'

You just don't like that I didn't say the princess likes sex up the butt as a neutral trait : P

And ah. I tend to be flowery. I is a girl. -twirls-

Corporal Bunny said:
You just don't like that I didn't say the princess likes sex up the butt as a neutral trait : P

And ah. I tend to be flowery. I is a girl. -twirls-
No, actually that's not it at all. I'm actually a bit annoyed that you'd think my intent was that "the princess likes sex up the butt." I really hope you were kidding.

Also, being a girl isn't an excuse for being flowery. I know a lot of female writers who are excellent, and not flowery unless it's in the character's design. Don't use excuses such as your gender for fitting into just one writing style.

Back
Top Bottom