Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Whistling Gypsy Rover (Nekrosilisk and Duchess)

Nekrosilisk88

Wolf in the Shadows
Supporter
The night air was cool as the young man reclined by the campfire. The fire crackled noisily, almost masking the sounds of hustle and bustle in the nearby camp. His brown eyes watched the dancing flames casting their glow on his pale face. it was a peaceful evening, a calm before the storm of the fair on the morrow. No one had come to visit their camp tonight, but then who ever came to gypsies before they made themselves known.

He tilted his head in curiosity as the flames flickered. His long black braid fell over his shoulder as he pondered the shadows. For a brief moment he thought he could make out a shape in the shadows of the flames. A woman's face a body. He blinked and it was gone. He pondered what this was, a bit of the future coming to him, or his own fantasy casting images where there were none. Old Grandmother had always cautioned him to be wary of what was seen while looking into the flames of campfire for those images were often the devil's work. Still he wondered, for that brief moment, he'd seen an unmistakable face if he ever saw it again, but who was she. He sat in silence and awaited the morrow.

The moon casted a soft glow on the vail in the forest, a soft, warm breeze flowed over the blades of glass making it look like the rolling sea, a soft pounding noise could be heard from afar the soft pounding of horse feet as it galloped through the thick forest, the horse emerged with its rider ontop wearing knee length black pants and no boots but large paws, a red corset was easily noticed as well as the off the shoulder white puffy long sleeved shirt, her hood was down and her long black hair was flying softly in the breeze, her green eyes had a look of excitement on her beautiful face, she headed for the next town over seeking shelter and a place for her horse to rest and eat his fill.(her tail isn't that long XD and she doesn't have the horns and such)
Victorian_Vera_by_CrimsonSacrifice4.jpg

The young tiger stretched his arms over his head, and yawned, his long tongue lolling out of his mouth. He settled down to take a nap by the fire when he heard the drum of hooves coming from the woods. Ears perked he sat up, and looked about. It was curious he hadn't seen anyone from outside the camp the entire day, and now someone was approaching at this late hour. Something didn't seem right about it to him. Moving to the edge of the camp, his eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness as he surveyed the woods. He thought he could make out someone in the woods. Placing two fingers in his mouth he let out a sharp whistle to flag down whoever was approaching.

(Brown eyes obviously, not green, but otherwise here you go for a piccy :) ))

paulswork-1.jpg

Mara's ears perked and turned her head towards the whistle, she blinked a bit and thought that maybe it was someone else, but who would want to be in this forest alone, she turned her horse and rode over towards the whistle, she moved her cloak up to where it concealed her face and hid her form from view, she held the reins to her tired horse carfully and emerged on a different part of the camp from where he was standing, she gazed at him through her dark hood and tilted her head a bit, he was thin but he obviously had muscles and was rather taller than her and her thick frame, she stayed on her horse just in case she needed to take off at a moments notice.

The tiger smiled as the rider approached and waved. A stray breath of wind blew a few loose atrands of his hair across his face. "Greetings traveler. What brings you about at this late an hour?"

As he spoke an older, and much stockier tiger approached them. There was a faint resemblance between the two. He looked down at the younger and spoke. "I'll deal with this Mica, you go tell Grandmother we have a visitor."

The younger tiger's look soured a bit as he slunk off into the camp. "Yes, sir." There was some faint grumbling as he made his way towards the rightmost wagon in the camp, his tail swishing back and forth as he walked.

She stayed on her horse still keeping her hood up and smiled slightly as she watched with her green eyes then moved her paw up and pushed back her cloak reveling her face and fluffy black curly hair , she got off the horse easily the cloak going behind her shoulders, " i was heading to the next town before i heard a whistle" she said quietly and maturely she tilted her head slightly and smiled slightly her large fluffy ears moving as she heard the others int he wagon, " seems i have stumbled upon gypsy's"

The older tiger chuckled. "Ah I was wondering what Mica was doing whistling like that this late at night." He nodded to her and gestured for her to follow him. "Come on in and sit a spell. We'll get you a drink and something to eat. Perhaps Grandmother will even read you if you'd like." With that he began walking back into the camp.

Mica sat at the steps to Grandmother's wagon with a violin in his paws. He scratched out a few off keys notes and grimaced. Reaching for the tuning pegs, he let out a clear whistle, and tuned the string to his pitch. Somehow he managed to hold the each note as he tuned the instrument. The following strokes resulted in a harmonious folk melody which he whistled along to as he played, scarcely any difference in the notes he played, and those he whistled.

She watched quietly and smiled a bit before tieing her horse to a lone branch and sat down easily on the large log, she let her tail fall to her feet as she crossed her thick legs and sighed softly at the fire light, she felt her horse nudge her, she smiled and got up reaching into her saddle bags and pulling out an apple, she grined when he got excited and sat down holding the apple out letting him take a bit of it, she watched and then turned her gaze to the violine playing, she listened peacefully and hummed softly while he whistled.

As he drew out the last few notes, the door behind Mica opened, and an ancient looking feline stepped out. She had a grizzled smile as she patted Mica on the head, and stepped down past him. Turning her gaze to their visitor, it became apparent she was completely blind in her left eye, the iris and pupil both milky in color.

Regarding their visitor for a moment she nodded her head. "It's about time you got here young lady. I've been waiting the better part of the day for you to show up." She chuckled good naturedly "Not a nice thing to keep Old Grandmother waiting, " she turned her gaze down to the young tiger, "Is it Mica?"

Mica chuckled with her and shifted his gaze up as he spoke. "No it's usually...not." His speech slowed as his eyes came upon her. Surprise was apparent as his eyes widened at the sight of her, alarm causing his fur to bristle.

Mara turned her gaze to the old woman, she had no idea what she was talking about, she was just passing through, but then again they were fortune tellers, some better off than others, it was a rare treat to find one that acctully knew somthing, she left her horse the apple as she stood and came over to the old woman looking at her " do you know something about me?" she asked quietly her ears going towards mica and everything else, she appeared to be or lion breed or some kind of fluffy cat.

The old woman's gaze drifted to the young tiger at the base of her steps, noting his alarm. He old paw gently brushed the scruff of his neck to calm him. "I know a few things. You're on your way to the next town to visit a man. You believe him to be your perfect mate, but...." She smiled coyly leaving the rest hanging teasingly. This was her profession after all.

Mica's fur slowly lowered as the old crone brushed the back of his neck. It was the woman he'd seen in the fire, and here Grandmother was being so calm. She'd know this strange woman was coming, yet she'd said nothing. What was she hiding about her though. A million possibilities soared through his mind as he looked at her.

She watched the old woman and smiled faintly, she wondered what she knew, she then stood back up and moved to her horse " hummm you are correct, but i truely do not think that to be your business " she smiled lightly trying to be nice at least, she turned her gaze over to the scrawny tiger then turned back to the old woman.

The old woman brushed Mica away from the steps. "Go on boy and find something useful to do besides staring at fire's all day. The young lady and I have business to conduct." The younger tiger grumbled to himself as he slunk off behind the wagon. Grandmother had known about this woman, probably seen something about him too. Why hadn't she told him.

The older woman waited until the boy was out of sight before turning to the lady again. "I'm afraid it is. My business is to know things, though i do not speak freely of them. Do come in, you and I have business to conduct."

She stayed where she was for a moment longer before brushing her black hair back and picking up her cloak as she walked into the traveling wagon, she closed the door behind her and walked easily over and sat near the older woman, she wanted to know what this woman wanted or what she knew, it just ate her up inside that she knew something, but she tried to not let it get o her to much so she sat and listened, greatful to take a rest before continuing to the next town.

The old woman nodded her head. Her voice was hushed as she spoke. "First is payment. I'll not ask you for coin, as I have a favor to ask that is far more important. Mica has a great destiny before him, but he must leave the Caravan to accomplish it. In payment for your reading, I ask that you allow him to accompany you when you leave." Her eyes though old and weary, were deep with sincerity as she took the younger woman's hand in her's. Is this acceptable to you?"

As she finished speaking, she turned her head to the back of the wagon and raised her voice. "Now if someone is done trying to eavesdrop, they can get to work!" There was a sound of scrambling feet and then nothing. "Now that that's dealt with are the terms acceptable?"

She did not find the fact that he was eavesdropping in on their conversation and found it rather rude instead, she let the woman take her paw and nodded in agreement " alright i guess it wouldn't hurt to drop him off in the next town" she said quietly looking at the woman with a serious and tired look on her round face " ill take him if i may sleep here tonight, and leave bright and early in the morning" she said softly and flicked the end of her tail gently.

The old tigress smiled. "That'll be fine with us dear, and please call me Grandmother. Everyone does. Mica can help you find a place to sleep for tonight, and please forgive him, he knows it serious whenever I shoo him off, that's why he was listening in. Now for your fortune. As I was saying you're going to meet the man you believe to be your perfect mate, but there is trouble in that bond, an unforeseen hitch. Something will come between you, what it is I cannot say. This is all I could discern before you arrived."

With that she turned the girl's paw over and spread it to study the lines. "There is another who will help shape what becomes of you at some. I don't know if this is Mica, though even if I did, I would not say, for doing so would change what is to come even as I spoke. You will have a long life, and in the end it seems you'll find happiness. This is all I can tell of you." She then let her paw go a nodded her head. "Know this, you must never speak of what I have told you. To do so may change it, and not necessarily for the better, and could make the end much worse than it otherwise would be." She then gestured to the door and rose, heading for a small chair by a crystal ball and said no more..

Maybe it was the lion blood in her but she flared up standing quickly then moving out of the cart closing the tiny door behind her, she looked back at him and breathed softly calming her wild spirit down before moving away and sitting back down where her horse was, she thought about what the gypsy woman said and brushed back her long black hair carefully before staring at the stars for what seemed like hours.

Shortly after she'd left Grandmother called Mica into the wagon, though he wasn't there long before raised voices were heard coming out even if the conversation wasn't discernible, some things could be heard, something about leaving and "in the fire". Mica stormed out of the wagon and disappeared into the woods.

Some time later he came back and sat down next to Mara. "Old Grandmother says I'm to leave with you tomorrow Mara." He crossed his arms and leaned against his knees, his voice was heavy.

She looked at him slightly before moving to remove her horses saddle and started to brush him " your being a baby....Mica was it?" she glanced back at him before continuing her work "i do not ride slowly, you ether are going to have to really keep up with me or find a horse of your own, because i will leave you behind " she said rather bluntly before finishing and coming back over to him " now where will i sleep?"

"My cabin probably. Don't worry, I'll be sleeping elsewhere tonight, if I can even get any." His voice seemed calm enough, despite his mind racing in a hundred directions at once. Old Grandmother had told him they were linked in destiny though how she couldn't say. He muttered under his breath not really intending for anyone else to hear. "more like wouldn't..."

Ears perked and she looked at him " wouldn't what?" she asked and eyed him suspiciously before moving away from the little camp fire after making sure her horse was cared for and looked around not sure which cabin was his " ok you can stay up and roll over how dreadful its going to be traveling with me, but can you please just at least point me in the direction of your cabin..." she asked if all else fails she could just use his scent to find it.

Mica pointed off at the left half of the wagon circle. "Fourth caravan, back door. Look its nothing to do with you personally I've just got my reasons I'm not particularly thrilled about this trip, least of which being I'm leaving everything I know behind to do it."

When he pointed she compeltly ignored him and left him to talk to himself, when he turned around there was a closing of the door as she entered and took her cloak off hanging it up, she pulled her boots off and everything else that would weight her down and slept in her corset, white shirt and pants to make it easier to get ready, she slumped on the bed and layed down sighing softly and burring her head into the pillows soon drifting to sleep.

As she was drifting off there was a sound of scraping on the back of the caravan followed by the clacking of claws on the roof. Things were silent for a moment before the clacking started up again with a slow rhythm followed by soft whistling and a violin playing an old folk tune.

Back
Top Bottom