Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Book Club + Discussion

Paradise Lost as the next novel?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Hahvoc The Decepticon

Singularity
As I am sitting here, writing this out, I have been reading a book that I find amazingly interesting in its entirety [though I have not finished it yet.] I am the type of person to be able to switch from a horror book to a romance within minutes, but then again, I like a wide range of books. I was wondering, out of curiosity, what kind of books other people find the most interesting and what they might recommend to read for other people. It can be as basic as comic books and manga, or as complex as case books [Books on murder cases] and biographies. I just feel like knowing who likes what in a good read and what might become recommended titles. I have a few recommendations for people who like werewolves and vampires. This is not a flaming thread, if you don't like what I suggest or what someone else suggests, that's perfectly fine, just don't beat the book suggested into a bloody pulp.

Vampire Series:

J.R. Wards' Black Dagger Brotherhood

Werewolf:

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson Series.

Other books I would recommend:

1984 - Can't remember the author off the top of my head.
Edgar Allan Poe's Complete Tales and Poems - Obvious.
Blackwood Farm - Anne Rice
The Count of Monte Cristo - Andrew Dumass
The Potrait of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Manga:

The Devil Ororon
Angel Sanctuary
Vampire Games
Glass Wings
Juvenile Orion
Diabolo
Demon Diary
Dazzle

Recommended Authors:

Karen Chance
Shana Abe
Patricia Briggs
Kerry Arthur
Gena Showalter

Obviously, I have way more books than those mentioned above and a lot more authors I could recommend for the romance novelist lover in some of us. I have a lot of books I haven't looked at in awhile, but that's just the basics of what I could think of off the top of my head. If you have any suggestions or want to discuss some books you have read and would like to share with, just put it in here.

Re: Book Club.

I am so in love with books I think its sick ahah. I read just about anything, if someone suggests it, I read it.

Um lets see

Recommendations:
Jigs & Reels by Joanne Harris (amazing short stories)
Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson

This one will be a boo hiss
The Host by Stephanie Meyers

Oh he is wonderful! The title I listed there is a romance, but his mysteries are amazing!

I have to admit, you bringing up The Portrait of Dorian Gray, makes me want to go read it. I have been interested for some time now and you reminded me. Thanks!

I live two blocks from a library.

I read mostly non-fiction.

Everything by Neil deGrasse Tyson is gold. Even Bill Nye (the Science Guy) likes him. I'm, as always, working on the various parts of Guns, Germs and Steel, a favourite of mine. I enjoy reading about illnesses and have mostly gotten through a book about the 1918 flu epidemic. I love Pablo Neruda and Langston Hughes. I read every book by Terry Pratchett. I'm reading House of Leaves. I like books on linguistics.

I've recently started reading the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin. Veeeery good series so far. There are four books out so far with a fifth on the way. I think the series is expected to be either six or seven long. Very raunchy, pretty violent, not for the faint of heart or those who get pissed off when characters you know start dropping like flies.

Kawamura said:
I'm, as always, working on the various parts of Guns, Germs and Steel, a favourite of mine.

I heard this was a great book.

It's very good. The author's voice is fantastic: never really dry, even when talking about the various grass seeds of Eurasia. There's humor, there (I especially liked his bit about infectious diseases). The book is well organized: the parts are large and it's almost like having five or so books in one. You can stop in between each one and I've simply treated it as several books.

I haven't finished reading it, but it's very in depth and old world.

Look at all those posts! =O I am so pleased.​

Oh boy, you asked the wrong person about books.
Lol.

I have 400+ manga, so let me just name off my favorites-
Sensual Phrase
KARE First Love
Death Note
Ral Omega Grad
Ha Ou Ai Ren
Fushigi Yuugi
Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden
Black Cat
Hot Gimmick
Honey Hunt
Vampire Knight(<3)
Peach Girl
Peach Girl-Change of Heart
After School Nitemare
X-Day
B.O.D.Y.
Shinobi Life
Fruits Basket(<3)
Alice 19th
The Gentleman's Alliance(<3)
Full Moon Wo Sagashite(<3)
Kitchen Princess(<3)
Meru Puri(<3)
Fake
Chobits
Confidental Confessions
Wish
Saiyuki(<3)
Wild Adapter(<3)
Princess Ai

I'll stop there, I think. Lol.
I have plenty more.

As for novels-
J.R. Ward: Black Dagger Brotherhood

Christine Feehan: Carpathian, GhostWalker, Drake Sisters, and ShapeShifter series'

Anne Rice

(I enjoy smut and vampires, lol).

I have some of those manga series you mentioned, Anj. Quite nice. I would love to be your friend irl. XD

And look at that! A fellow Brotherhood fan. <33​

Totally. <3

I wanna be friends, irl! I think we'd get along perfectly. Hehe.

Ah, I'd like to think I know a good bit about manga, and I always try to look into more obscure titles. Hopefully some of these will interest people when I describe them. ^^
Mw: Mw is a pretty old work done by the god of manga, Osamu Tezuka. He's known for works like Astro Boy and Phoenix. Mw particularly is interesting, because quite frankly, it's unlike anything else that Tezuka has ever done! It's incredibly dark, telling the story of a man with mental illness caused by an accident as a child. He feels angry at the government among others and slowly climbs up the corporate ladder to take revenge on those who made him this way. It really is a fascinating piece and I love it.

Homonculous: This is a work by Yamamoto Hideo, who was also known for Ichi the Killer, if you've ever seen the movie. This is the story about a homeless man who takes part in an experimental procedure for money call trepanation. This is when you drill a hole into someone's head, and theoretically this increases a person's ESP abilities. Soon this man gains the ability to see people as monsters, which is a show case for their mental condition and personal problems.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service: If you've ever heard of Eiji Otsuka, you know this guy makes some pretty awesome stuff, and Kurosagi is no different. This story follows a small club at a Buddhist College in Japan who goes around finding dead bodies and fulfilling the last request of the ghost, in exchange for any personal treasures they may have. This is an incredibly wacky silly manga that I love, but it appears to be going into something more serious as well... I'm still reading it and it sounds pretty good to me so far.

I'm sure I have more to suggest, but I can't think of anything. For now I'll shut up. ^^;

Oscar Wilde only wrote one novel. O:

Funfact.

The rest of his stuff were short stories, poetry, essays, and plays.

I have this freaking sweet book filled with everything he wrote. It's huge. :3

As for books. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis is good for the gore fans. It's boring for the first part, but then it gets better. It's a book you have to be a trooper for. There's a few others, but yeah.

This book is also good for Oscar Wilde fans: Coffee With Oscar Wilde

George Orwell wrote 1984, OP.

I heart books. I too read pretty much anything that's around to be read. Crime thrillers, sci-fi, fantasy.
My favourite author is, and probably always will be, Terry Pratchett. There is only one of his Discworld books that I have not read (or own, asamatterofact) which is Witches Abroad. The older ones, in my opinion, aren't a patch on the later novels.

I tried to read Lord of the Rings. Couldn't do it. Too dry.
First I started skipping paragraphs, then entire chapters, so I figured that if I was going to do that then there's no point reading any further.

A few other recommendations:

Shayla Black
David Clement-Davies

Manga:
VB Rose
Tsubasa: Those With Wings
Dance in The Vampire Bund

It mostly surrounds werewolves, however.[SPOILER ALERT] I mean Mercy mates with one. >.> But yeah, The Alpha and Omega series is much more closely tied with the werewolf world.​

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
It mostly surrounds werewolves, however.[SPOILER ALERT] I mean Mercy mates with one. >.> But yeah, The Alpha and Omega series is much more closely tied with the werewolf world.​
But mercy herself is a skin walker, and only two of the four books are mainly about werewolves, Iron Kissed is about the Fey; Blood Bound and Bone Crossed are about vampires.

For fantasy I frigging love The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Books by David Gemmel are good--very strong writing but it's mostly about warriors and war--spends the first half of the books developing these awesome characters then the last half killing them off in battles.

Some books that have affected me in my life that I love--all of them are fiction:

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. the book is a monster, so huge, but I love everything about it. The way the man writes is very profound. For a while after reading this book, I had a thing for tennis--the way he wrote about it inspired a love for the game in me.
The Circus of the Earth and the Air by Brooke Stevens. Most intriguing book I've ever read.
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Jack Faust by Michael Swanwick
Perdido Street Station, and King Rat by China Miéville

And I enjoy short stories from time to time. My favorites:

"Dance of the Dead" by Richard Matheson
"The Time of the Eye", "Lonelyache", "The Night of Delicate Terrors", and "Shattered Like a Glass Goblin" by Harlan Ellison

Also fond of the writings of Carl G. Jung, his analysis of archetypes and symbols specifically, and Edward Gorey's art book/stories.

My_Apocalypse_Pony said:
--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
But mercy herself is a skin walker, and only two of the four books are mainly about werewolves, Iron Kissed is about the Fey; Blood Bound and Bone Crossed are about vampires.

True. BUT STILL!​

Back
Top Bottom