Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

anime fans welcome

For me right now, it's all about Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger. The whole series in general is great to me from the fights to the unintentional gay scenes involving Takamura.

OH! I found a new anime I like...not sure how new the anime itself is but I just recently found it:
Fate Stay Night
So far it is pretty cool ^,.,^

@Nadie: I heard of it but never seen anything on it that I know of...

Alright:)

Here's one of my favorite scenes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iid19WZqCrI[/youtube]

Zalvek said:
This whole entire moe thing is getting out of hand in my opinion. At one point it was seen as being a niche part of anime, while the rest reached for the most part a relatively normal demographic. However once the advent of shows like Evangelion and the shift to digital animation from cell animation happened, this demographic completely changed. Although at first it was a completely subtle change, it is now quite the opposite situation from about ten years ago. The majority of shows that are made now are made to cater to a very specific subset of otakus. Between shows made recently and shows made ten years ago, you can't tell me that there is a very drastic shift in the style of the shows.

One of the major arguments that people have made as to why the shows feel different is because of the actual directors. Old directors like Noburo Ishiguro or Rintaro aren't getting as much work anymore. Instead, the people who grew up watching Space Battleship Yamato or Harlock are now making anime. As pretentious as it may sound, the people who made anime with a purpose and intention to make a story and narrative through cell animation are now gone for the most part. In their place are people who instead seem to be more focused on cashing a check and growing in popularity. I mean honestly, what else would be the point of shows like Minabi Straight which can be seen as just flat out pedophilic?

This thought and mind set doesn't really work on the foreign markets where anime is in, such as America or Europe. However other countries like Singapore or Korea have a very similar situation. I don't really understand the point of these fetish shows and it frustrates the heck out of me because I just can't get into it as much. As a child I love to watch action packed shows with robots, sexual content and violence. Sure a lot of these things are there still, but instead they are also entwined with cat ears, little girls, shrine maidens, etc. Just like at Kanozuki No Miko, which has all of the previously stated fetishes in it. Coincidentally, it may be one of the worst shows made in recent years despite the extremely high animation quality and pretty cool mechanical designs.

I used to be a very big anime fan, and I'd like to think that I still am. However I'm finding myself more and more nostalgic to old shows instead of new ones now. To me it seems shows are just getting more and more generic, and I think that's one of the main frustrations I have with anime lately.

-End rant-

Wow...! I could not have said it better! What an awesome post! I agree with you, Zalvek.

For me personally, and maybe it's because I'm older now, but I find there to be a huge lack of creativity in the anime industry. There is still some, but most of the shows feel like standard fair that are simply aimed at cashing in. How many comedic high school dramas with over the top characters can they come out with? I was there and done with that around the time Ranma 1/2 came out (I still love Ranma 1/2 btw).

As for the industries problems internationally, I think it's the companies responsibility to move with the times as to how they distribute animation. Sure, DVD is still great but a majority of anime fans also happen to enjoy watching things on the 'net. It's easy to say that piracy is killing the industry and to an extend, that's valid. However, I think companies need to also think about changing the way they do business.

There's still some good, creative anime that comes out. I really enjoyed Count of Monte Cristo, Death Note, Fat Stay Night, Full Metal Alchemist, Phantom of Inferno (which is on-going as we speak), and Afro Samurai (and yes, Afro Samurai is one that does cash in on the violence factor). All in all though, I find that I enjoy going back and watching stuff that's a little older and provides more creativity.

Back
Top Bottom