Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Navigator ((Atzura and Kolath))

Reika

Supernova
Somewhere in the nowhere near future...

Earth has become massively overpopulated. With such a case, humanity had to expand its territory.

About one hundred years back, we found the first REAL sign of intelligent life on in our Galaxy, outside of Earth.

Simple as it was, life was also being lived on Mars, just the same as Earth, just under slightly different circumstances.

Martians and Earthlings did not get along very well despite their largest differences being language and pygmentation of the skin.

Once Earth became overpopulated, a spaceship with nearly two hundred people was sent to the Moon. This group, in time, created a space colony, called Luna Seis. Or just Luna.

Life there is not like life on Earth. Most indoor activities are your outdoor activities. There is no change in weather, and the dark side of the Moon is off limits.

Space Colony Luna developed an intergalactic army, Luna Force... which is made up of excellent pilots, and their counterparts, their trusted aircrafts.

The battles usually end in several hours, some last days.

After the development of Luna Seis, invaders from other Galaxies also encroached ours.

Our pilots are set up to protect the Moon, and our allies on Earth.

We are not Earthlings anymore... Some call us, Lunatics.

We like calling ourselves Lunars.

The video continued to play itself as the introductions to the Lunar Force traditions continued. Dozens of dozens of young men and women were inside, hoping to achieve their dreams of becoming a Lunar Force Pilot and protecting the Moon and Earth.

One young man watched the video with nothing but a smirk on his face. He knew all this by heart and could in fact add on to what the video told knowing the in and outs of every major engagement. and most minor ones, in the history of the corps. His brilliant red hair standing out among the standard blonds and blacks that were common on Luna. Crinth was his name and he was a natural ace. There was something about having a family lived on the lunar surface not only since the earliest days but also so near to the dark side it did something to the genetics of the children. Ice blue eyes looked over the group of hopefuls as the lights came back upâ?¦now the tests would begin and he knew he was ready there was nothing they could throw at him that would be to hard for him to handle and he knew it.

A woman, with two, officially liscensed pilots came down a long walkway. The class immediately began to jut around. She was the commander of the Lunar Force, and damn, she played the part correctly. She was elegant, beautiful, and a little horrifying.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of Lunar Seis... I am your commander. My name is Adrianna... I am pleased to welcome you to our unit. I see a ton of promise in all of your eyes." She said, scanning the room, her men just waited by her sides. "Most of you have taken and passed your flying classes. For those who have not... please exit to the left with our flying director to finish that requirement."

"As for the rest of you, I will now give you an identification number. Your crafts are waiting below us, each crafted equally, however, a pilot makes a machine extraordinary. I will not sugar coat our truth. Many of us die. Many of us lose everything. However, this colony... our mother planet Earth... and most importantly, our existance, is worth the battle. We are Lunars. We are unique. I will now greet each of you individually. Please come as I call your name."

Crinth watched the new people smiling at the tall form of the leader of the Lunar forces. Just because she would be his superior soon didnâ??t mean that he couldnâ??t enjoy the sight of her in the tight dress uniform that was hardly worn save at official functions. He was snapped from his thinking as she called out â??Crinth Ord,â? he stood walking up to her winking blatantly as he took his rightful place. He had passed the flying test will a perfect score and in less than half the time that the others had taken. Though unbeknownst to him the testers had marked him down as being the most proud and arrogant student and had a lot of rough edges to be knocked off despite his excellent performance.

Adrianna sighed as the cocky youth winked at her. "Welcome to our family. Your three digit code is E03. You will have two days to find a name for your ship, or one will be given to you. Your navigator is Aida. Again, welcome to the Lunar Force." She held out her hand professionally, the commander had received the tests and scores, she knew his potential was not a fluke.

He smiled and walked past her taking the datapad that was handed to him by the officer behind her. it wasnâ??t long before everything was finished and the group that was already done with their flight test was shown out of the room. They were led into the hanger and quickly broke up after being told that their code would lead them to their ships. The numbers were painted on the side of the individual hanger slots with a single ship in each.

Crinth walked quickly down the line smiling as he neared where his ship was supposed to be. He suddenly stopped looking at a blank wall where it should have continued for enough room for another ship but there was a dead end nothing. He growled that commander was playing a trick on him there was no E03. Cursing he turned back to give her a piece of his mind but a maintenance worker was standing right there. â??Looking for something rookie?â? Crinth growled at being called a rookie but took it and mumbled that he was looking for birth E03. The man looked surprised, â??They are giving her to a rookie? Wow guess I donâ??t know everything do I.â? he turned to a key pad punching in a set of numbers and a single door opened in what had been a blank wall until then. It was pitch black inside except for the light from a cockpit. The man nodded, â??You navigator said she would talk to you on the comm. From your cockpit, have fun.â? The man turned and walked away calling over his shoulder, â??That door will close soon, better hurry.â?

Growling at this mystery he looked once more at the most advanced ships in the fleet seeing many that didnâ??t do nearly as well as he did on the test enjoying their time getting to know their craftâ?¦that he honestly didnâ??t think they deserved. Walking into the door he climbed into the cock pit and tried looking over the controls but the only thing he could see was the headset for the comm, once the door had closed leaving it being the only light. Finally he picked it up and slipped it on.

"Welcome to the Lunar Force. I am detatched battle back-up unit Aida. I will be helping you through your missions and our collaboration will be a the source of our failure or success. As your navigator I would like for you to understand that as a pilot, your job is not to be a hero. Your job is simple: Obey your navigator. Any concerns or questions can be directed towards supervisional staff, as I do not have the time, nor the effor to deal with pilots who are not prepared to be effective."

Crinth rolled his eyes sighing as he listened to the long winded speech that was obviously prepared ahead of time to intimidate the pilot and make him cowed, well she picked the wrong pilot to mess with. â??Yes I understand that now as the navigator it is your job to not offer advice or commands except when it is required by our superiors or I ask for your opinion. It is my job to fly this ship and be sure that it and I come back in one piece and there is nothing that you can do to changed that outcome sitting in your safe little cubical back here on lunar base.â? He leaned back feeling much better now that he had told her off and showed her who was boss. â??Now be a good little Navigator and explain this new ship to me.â?

((sorry this took so long just been in a rut lately btw hope you don't mind starting with the hostile attitudes between them))

"It seems that you've been trained poorly. I will speak to you as if you were a child then."

"This aircraft is a specialized Lunar Fighter, created soley for the purposes of high-speed combat and evasive maneuvers. This aircraft is equipped with two laser guns at point, the laser guns are remotely fast and cause exceptional damage. However, using such a weapon can overheat the engine and cause your fighter to go into what we call a freeze. When frozen, which ironically means your aircraft overheating, all controls will be defaulted. Meaning that you will go straight down. Wouldn't that be a pity..."

"You can use the lasers by gripping your control levers, one on each side of your seat and pressing down on the red trigger by your pointers. Note that the lasers are not of the homing variety, so you will have to actually aim and focus before firing. The weapon can cause harm to your vision if stared at from close ranges and will blind you if the enemy has a strong enough reflector shield. If you fly like a good little pilot, I will make sure that your lasers are never reflected back at your little face."

"Throughout your missions, I will be telling you where to go... and you will go exactly there. Otherwise you will be blown off course and I will have to calculate another route for you. So understand your role, and listen to your navigator. Only through cooperation can we make sure you survive. I on the other hand will only receive a big red x on my record and be passed to another new pilot. You are but a digit. I am responsible for your life."

"Your machine guns can be activated and used by pressing the red buttons atop your steering levers. This weapon is good, but it fires in an unorderly fashion. For now these are the only weapons I've asked to have installed in your machine. Until I feel secure enough to add more, you will work with these and our combined brainpower. Your shield is of medium quality. I reccommend you don't get hit to test it, as some attacks will simply break through and kill you. I am certain that such a pilot as yourself remembers how to fly. We will take on a practice course in a couple of hours. Feel free to explore your aircraft. You, it and myself must become one unit if you are to ever do something worth speaking."

It was all Crinth could do not to rip the headset out of the counsel. He sighed as she finally finished and reached out flicking the switch he had been looking for since he had gotten in the cockpit. The lights came on and he began going over his preflight. â??Listen Aida was it? I donâ??t need the test course I scored the highest on the flight exam in the history of the flight exam so lets just take this baby out for a spin around the moon shall we.â? He slipped the helmet and the flight mask on continuing through the warm up cycle of the craft. He may never have been in this ship before but that was part of his talent he could almost instantly understand the working of a craft after only moments with it.

"Let me be the first to tell you that your score, although the higest score in your class, is not the highest in history. Ten years ago, the current commander received a score that topped yours, being as the scoring can be somewhat infinite. So do not fill your mouth with facts you don't know. Of course, her score wasn't released...to keep young pilots like yourself from comparing to her, and to not disencourage you. We can head out if you so wish to do so at this point. We are in no rush, since there is currently no mission. Trust me and stay inside your aricraft at all times."

He growled softly hearing that there had been a score to top his, granted he hadnâ??t known about it so how could he have done anything but think that he was the highest score. He finished the preflight nodding slowly, â??Ok ready, do you have to check my work or will you just except that I know what Iâ??m doing when it comes to ships?â? his tone was cold and almost a challenge for her to check his work knowing that though it was standard procedure for a navigator to do so most didnâ??t after the first few times.

"Show me what you can do, and I will observe you. If you wish... you can have me removed if you compain enough to your higher ups. I could be helping someone fantastic. I rather not be cooped up with an arrogant boy who will just end up as space dust in the first hour of battle." She replied coldly. Her voice sounded too automated to be an actual person, but at the same time, that kind of response could only come from another person. "Are you ready to head out. There is a small group of itching youngsters like yourself who are testing out their flight paths. Have you decided on a name? Or should we just skip that part... due to your lack of creativity and overall brainpower..."

Crinth leaned back against the head rest sighing. This was going to be a long partnership he could already tell. He set all the controls on stand by ready to launch as the pad moved the craft up into the correct position to launch. â??I assume you mean a name for the ship since you were less than specific,â? his voice dripped with venom at her obvious cutting remarks. â??I need to see how she handles before I can give her a name, wouldnâ??t want to give something that doesnâ??t fit now would we.â? He waited on the pad for a few moments before asking in a exasperated tone, â??Well?? Has the tower cleared my launch or not? Or shall I just launch without clearance since you were too busy insulting me to check? â? despite being a rather hot headed jerk Crinth was no idiot he knew how dangerous it could be to launch without clearance, but that didnâ??t mean he wasnâ??t going to miss a chance to remind her of her job.

"You are cleared to take off. Enjoy your first flight as an official pilot." She answered, a small, green light turning on just on the edge of his seat.

The instant the light flashed on, Crinth slammed his throttle forward to full thrust feeling the g-force slamming him back into his seat. His breath was gone as his body caught up with the momentum as he raced out into open space. As he throttled back after exiting the hanger he let out a deep pleasureful sigh. â??There is nothing like a good ship underneath you.â?

"A good ship it is. Remember the required field in which you must remain in. Going out too far can result in unpleasant communications with unknown sources. If our Mother Ship loses you from this field, you will be erased from our database and considered an unidentified flying object, also known as a foo fighter and a Lala. We do not want to be classified as that. At least not you. Those are usually shot down before being asked their origin. For our own protection of course."

He sighed as the bane of his existence came back on the comm. He sighed checking the area and cursed a string that would make anyone blush. â??what that is barely enough space to get a feel for how she handles. There has got to be something that you can do to let me take her for a good test flight?â?

"You will get plenty of flying during missions. Sadly, right now, they want me to give you nothing more. Enjoy your flight. I will be watching you and advising you when asked, or when I feel I should intervene."

He growled lightly, â??Kill joy.â? He might grumble a lot but he knew what it meant to follow orders there for your safety. He took the ship through some basic maneuvers finding that it barely even strained at the shipâ??s capacity. He smiled no wonder they gave him this ship it was faster and more maneuverable then even the top of the line. He soon finished and turned back to the hanger. â??Ok Iâ??m on my way back in care to grab clearance for us?â?

"Certainly." She said, waiting a few moments. "The east dock is open and expecting your arrival. There are no ships in line to exit, and none but yours in line to enter. You have full air control. Please maneuver the ship into the designated location."

He set his ship up on the right vector and guided it into the hanger slowly setting it down perfectly. He sighed starting the shutdown of his ship turning things off slowly. Before slipping his comm. Mic. Off he spoke to her again, â??Hey want to grab something to eat? Maybe face to face we can set some of these problems aside that seem to plague us, and we do need to learn to work together at least.â?

There was a pause. "I am sorry. I am afraid that is something I am not capable of doing. We will talk again when you are given orders to fly. Until then, goodbye."

Other pilots were discussing their awesome ships, excellent navigators and such.

A young man swore his was a machine. Her voice was too mechanical. Another argued that his navigator was definitely a human male. Some responses can only be given by lifeforms. Machines can't respond the ways humans do.

Crinth kept to himself hearing the others talking about their navigators but he wasnâ??t one to get involved. Shockingly despite all he had heard about sleeping in bunks with other pilots he found that he was birthed alone in a single room. It didnâ??t make any sense considering that he had seen the barracks where the others were all placed, why not him also. He shrugged going over to his bed and placing the duffle at the foot of it he laid down for a moment to relax his back and eyes.

"So, you got the nice pilot..."

Ada turned to face one of her fellow navigators, sitting at his own little desk across from her.

"Yes, he's really skilled. I would trade pilots with you anyday however, this one is arrogant."

"Ah. Well, after hearing your voice, I'm sure that boy'll be upset if he hears mine after."

"He's hard to stand. I can't deny his grace in the air however. I look forward to seeing him in action."

"What action?" He smirked.

"Shut up." She said, standing, "I'm going to stretch my legs, then go to the library to read more about the model he was given, maybe find it a name."

"How about we go over towards another sector? There's supposed to be a small asteroid herd floating by. If I guess the right number... you'll sleep with me."

"No. I don't date, much less sleep with navigators. We are the biggest cowards on the force."

"Ohh!" He laughed, "But... did you forget our pleasant evening..."

"Quiet. That was an error, and you know it. Enjoy your pilot." Ada began to walk out of the secretly located command center where the navigators resumed to give their pilots guidance.

"It's like a small simulation game to me. Like a video game I played as a child. If I lose, I am completely fine. Just the character on the screen is the one who dies. I can risk that, even if this boy is being a douchebag... no one deserves death like this. I'm going to work with him. Hopefully he pulls his head out of his ass..."

Back
Top Bottom