Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Crying over a game?

Kaziel

Supporter
Supporter
Kinda an off-shoot of the MGS3 thread, I didn't want to derail it but the talk of a game making you cry came up for me today...

On my way to work I was playing Moero! Nekketsu Rizumu-damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ōendan 2 and just like the original game, there was one horribly sad stage, and here I am in the middle of everyone and I almost burst into tears right there.

For those who don't know about the Ōendan game series, first a couple of links:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osu!_Tatakae!_Ouendan">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osu!_Tatakae!_Ouendan</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moero!_Nekketsu_Rhythm_Damashii_Osu!_Tatakae!_Ouendan_2">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moero!_Nek ... _Ouendan_2</a><!-- m -->

If you checked those links and it looks like the game Elite Beat Agents, well you'd be right. EBA was made to be a more US understandable version of Ōendan, since many of the situations, and really the basic of idea of an Ōendan (which translates to "Cheer Squad", which in Japan is an all-male group, unlike American Cheerleaders) is something that doesn't really exist here in the States.

Anyway, in each game (including EBA) most of the stages are generally ridiculous situations, either in that they are light hearted and fun (like cheering on a student as he studies for important exams while his family is noisy and distracts him) or over the top (a giant rat is attacking the city, and this mild-mannered business man becomes a giant man, like Ultraman, to save the city and his daughter from this monster).

But also in each game is one very sad stage. For the original Ōendan, it involved a man dying and going to heaven, but before he enters he asks if he can go back for just a little while. Descending from Heaven he finds the house of his girlfriend who's sad over his death. Even as a ghost, he does things like makes the light of his motorcycle out front look like a heart, or spills some tea also making it a heart. Even though he's dead he still loves her, and at the end she can see him and she knows that even in Heaven he'll still think of her and she can move on with her life. (PS: While typing this up I teared up a little... god I'm such a girl.)

In Ōendan 2, the sad story is about a girl who gets in a fight with another girl who's out ice skating (not certain if they are friends or sisters, since I can't read Japanese) and gives her some angry comment before leaving. The ice skating girl leaves the rink that night and gets hit by a car, dying. The girl who was angry before is really sad over this and, even worse, her last words were harsh ones. She later goes to the icerink where she had last saw the other girl, and her old trainer gives her the ice skates of her dead friend/sister. Then the surviving girl goes on to learn iceskating again (she used to do it with the deceased girl) and fulfills her friend's/sister's dream of winning a gold medal at the Olympics, the final scene showing her skating by, the ghost of the other girl skating with her.

I don't know about the sad story in EBA beyond the bare bones of it being something along the lines of a girl is cheered on and reunites with the spirit of her dead father.

PS: If you're interested in Ōendan, but can't read Japanese, it's fine. Most of the game is done in comic form, so you can figure it out pretty easily, even if you miss some details.

Anyway, what games have made you cry? I know MGS3 did this for a lot of people.

A game that was Depressing at the end, but didn't make me want to cry though was Final Fantasy 10, that ending was like the movie the Mists ending, I wanted to cut myself afterwards it was so depressing D:

OLDSCHOOL SNES SPOILERS

At the end of Lufia 2, the main character and his wife are greviously injured after defeating the antagonist. However, they still need to stop the flying island they're on from crashing into their city and thereby killing their infant son.

This is a 'not coming back' mission from the start. You already know the kid is an orphan, even if his parents aren't dead yet.

Halfway through deactivating the engines, the main character's wife collapses. He goes on without her, and finishes the job. He returns to her side, and finds she's died without him. The game ends with the main character dying alone, with only the knowledge that he's saved his son for good news.

I mean, really? That's a hell of a thing to serve a 13 year old who still LIKES the happy-ending formula.

Star Ocean: The Second Story on the PS.
I opted to take a kid, if memory serves, which meant I couldn't save the aloof bad ass Dias.
I cried.
Turned off the game.
Started over just to make sure I could take him with me before the planet blew up again.

Ohgod, Leon. I wanted to choke that kid out with a garden hose, and then beat him to death with it.

Better mage then Celine, though, at least at the end of the game.

So you restarted when you were already done with the first disk, just to play as Rena? That's some douchebag-devotion.

I am more likely to cry for movies or songs compared to games.

I know this is off topic... but the first pokemon movie, when pikachu was getting smacked by clone pikachu, and Ash got turned into a rock... those pokemon crying got me whimpering.

Mitsuomi said:

I know this is off topic... but the first pokemon movie, when pikachu was getting smacked by clone pikachu, and Ash got turned into a rock... those pokemon crying got me whimpering.

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I cried when I saw that movie too, but then again I was pretty young so I can use that excuse. Now that I think about it, pretty much every video game and movie back then made me cry.

Anime (SPOILER)

Fate-stay night, recently got me extremely emotional. I didn't want Saber to die.

Mitsuomi said:

I saw that in the theaters. Man, that shit made me feel weird for getting ready to cry.

The anime of Shingetsutan Tsukihime was very bittersweet for me. And then the actual H-Game just made me really sad... I can't say I got nearly as emotional with Fate/Stay Night though. Not as much attachment to the characters really.

I also felt extremely bad in Tenjho Tenge when Shin and Mana killed themselves.

And uh... Oh! Bleach, when Ichigo's mom got iced.

Calista said:
Mitsuomi said:

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I cried when I saw that movie too, but then again I was pretty young so I can use that excuse. Now that I think about it, pretty much every video game and movie back then made me cry.
[Third-ed]

I think the pikachu thing'll still get me... maybe.

Not too long ago a few friends and I watched all the pokemon movies again, for the fuck of it... yeah, me and my best friend did do some crying.

Looking at it, that's pretty fucked up.

Anyway, yeah, I remember that stage in EBA, I cried, having lost my own father at a young age.

But hearing all that makes me wanna play this other game... hmm...

BUT OTHERWISE...
Uh... hmm...
I know there's gotta be some other games that got me to cry...
Why can't I think of them?
WRRRYYYY?

Back
Top Bottom