Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Broken Benevolent Bond (ImaginationGoneWild & Leon)

Leon

π•Ώπ–π–Š 𝖒𝖆𝖓 𝖔𝖋 π–’π–ž π–”π–œπ–“ π•―π–—π–Šπ–†π–’π–˜
Launt sat at a elegant white desk, books on books, stacked on top of one another, of all different colors and sizes. The young prince took in a deep breath before closing the book before him, letting the breath escape him as he leaned back. He would look around the large room that held him. For any regular person, this would all seem lavish and they would surely kill for. Almost everything in the room either had gold embroidery or silver engravings. To him, they were nothing more than just another part of the castle.

He could not complain, he was well fed and could have anything he asked for. In every since of the word. His father was a just and fair enough to the surrounding lands and the planets beyond the one they were on. He was told of all sorts of things that walked the other worlds and while they were interesting in story, that was what they were, stories. Launt had never set food outside of the grounds and even then, he was sheltered. Never without guard. The only friends he had known were maids and butlers, a couple guards knew him on a first name basis but these could have just been people trying to be nice in order to suck up to his father.

That was the life he lived. Not a worry in the world but nay a need had. Though he imaged what the outside world might look like, he also knew that it could hold just as many dangers.

b0154e8ec1d00695f95ca822a1fc4d40.jpg

The kingdom of Anarean was tucked away in a luscious green and warm forest. Marble buildings with emerald rooftops were dotted along the base of the majestic overgrown cliffs that spewed the raging waters that coursed through the maze of carved archways below the city.

The kingdom was a prosperous one; it knew no famine, no sickness, barely any crime. And it managed to stave of war with the neighboring kingdoms for centuries. Anarean's reach went far, from coast to coast with many villages and towns that enjoyed its protection. Where many races lived peacefully together.

And soon it will all belong to Launt...

Armand was staring out the stained window of the young prince's study room. The tutor was a tall elven man with a healthy physique, shoulder-length brunet hair and matching brown eyes that shined with wisdom.

His white sleeved arms were crossed in front of his chest while a hand was gently caressing his lips in deep thought, his brows furrowed with concern.

He was looking down the royal gardens. Armand liked it there. It was peaceful, hidden, private. You could think and clear your head for a moment. Why you could easily forget the palace was under the watchful eye of the Elven Guard.

What Armand didn't like, however, was the presence of two individuals having a heated discussion over something...

Ever since King Maeral announced that he would step down from his role as king, the nobles and royal family have been buzzing around like vultures. But the King had already made up his mind to pass the crown to his son, Launt.

Armand didn't mean any disrespect to the boy but he was naive and young. His sheltered life did more damage than good. And despite Armand's advice to let the boy at least explore outside the palace walls...Maeral would not have it.

He clutched to the boy, fearing his only child will succumb to the same fate as his mother. It was all for his protection he would say. The boy would have everything he'd ever need. All the luxuries that most would kill for. Servant that wake to his every beck and call... His father would exaggerate in having servants practically bathe the boy themselves.

Armand's gaze turned from king Maeral's to the nobleman that he was speaking with. Lord Zaos, a Drow and long-time friend of the Royal Family.

Armand, however, questioned the 'friend' part...But Lord Zaos had the king's ear, and this worried him.

The tutor continued to watch until the king made gestures that the conversation was over, and it seemed to anger the noble as he stormed off.

When the gardens were empty again Armand sighed and turned around, turning his attention to the prince.

The middle-aged man smiled at the man, he had that look about him again. Daydreaming about adventures and damsels in distress...

"Nervous for your coronation tomorrow, Prince Launt?" the tutor asked as he approached the pale desk. "People from all over the world will be there to formally recognize you as their new king..."

Armand prepped him for this day, taught him everything he could to be king, to know all that comes with it.

But can one truly learn to be a leader by reading books?

Launt would be broken from his dreams of grandeur and glory as Armand would call to him. He wished to simply know just what it was that he was feeling about his coming to be king. The question seemed to be on the lips of, well, everyone. It was only right, royalty usually fell onto the lips of every passerby, peasant to royalty. This though, this was an entirely new type of talk, one that brought Launt into the limelight, willing or not. "I-I think I am. I mean, father has given his faith to me to do the empire proud." He would shake his head and move his hands onto the book before him.

"I had just wished I could have gone off an adventure before my time. Mother used to have so many of them, going out to other worlds." He would pull himself up into a standing posture. "To meet fantastical creatures and fighting the evils of universe." He would move a hand to a single jewel near the edge of his neck that seemed part of a pair. "I miss her but I have to be strong for her too. For father. For my people. I will be a great leader that my father will be proud of, that you will be proud of Armand. You've taught me well and I'll use that righteous knowledge to bring everlasting peace to the entire universe!"

Launt felt that in his heart of hearts this to be true. He felt he had everything given to him for a reason and it was with all of these things that he would be a great king, maybe even surpassing his own father one day.

Armand listened to him with a small smile as he wandered around the room, fingering the spines of books that align the walls.

Solana. She was a beautiful woman. Strong and courageous too. Armand didn’t really got to know her since he only took residence in this castle after her death. But he heard many tales about her adventuring days and caught plenty of glimpses of her when she roamed the streets of Anarean.

From what he remembered Solana used to belong to a group of adventurers that helped out villages and towns with problems. Like skirmishes with Orcs for example.

β€œYour mother, Solana…” Armand sighed with a small smile when the boy talked about her. β€œI heard that she captured your father’s heart when she was assisting him on a mission involving the Dark Elves.”

Armand cleared his throat and dismissed today’s lesson. β€œWhy don’t you enjoy some free time while you can. Tomorrow is your coronation, and you’ll need your sleep.”

His mother was such a paragon to Launt in any way that one could believe. Her tales were that of legend, books of her exploits seemed to be the stories one would tell their children to get them excited about adventure. Some were surely falsehoods but they still kept the moral of those that read them in high spirits, Launt included.

Armand would bring up the story of how his parents met, a somber story but it brought a smile to his lips regardless. "He told me that he knew, right then and there, they were destined to be together for the rest of their lives." There was a bit of sadness toward the end of his words. It seemed that it would be for the rest of one of their lives. Armand would then interject by saying Launt would be able to enjoy the rest of his time to do as he liked, the coronation being so close. "Yes, I think that I shall travel the grounds, maybe play around with the swords and the guards."

He would chuckle at the statement as he would wave his goodbye to Armand.

---skipping---skipping---skipping---

Launt had just finished attaching the blue cloak over his shoulder, attaching the emblem to hold it in place. He would look at the mirror that was almost double his height to give himself a once over, making sure that his outfit was as pin point as possible. This was to be the day of days, when he would become the rightful king in his fathers place, to prove that he was as capable of a leader as those before him.

Urgent footsteps sounded throughout the marbled halls. His white blouse and brown pants clung to his sweaty skin from running in a panic. At times he would compose himself whenever he passed by some of the guards, clearing his throat and looking over his shoulder with worry and well-deserved paranoia before hurrying to the Prince’s quarters.

For his worst fears have come true…

Armand wished he was wrong about his suspicions. Hoping it was just his prejudice towards the Drow folk…But when he heard that Lord Zaos ordered some guards to arrest Launt for the murder of King Maeral, his own father... The coup has begun.

Zaos had expressed his displeasure that the king choose his son over his best friend to lead the kingdom at his old age. A boy...no, a man now. So sheltered that no one would take him serious as a leader...or so most feared.

Arriving at the Prince’s changing room Armand took the time to calm himself down, running his hands through his brown locks to smoothen them and appear less disheveled.

Elven maids were tidying up the room, making some finishing touches to the Prince’s uniform and dusting off the cloak.

Armand gave them friendly nods before he spoke to Launt, β€œYou look good...and ready to take your father’s place.”

He licked his lips nervously and turned to the staff, β€œCould you ladies leave us a moment?” With quiet muttering the maids gave the men their privacy.

Armand took a peek out the door to see if the coast was clear before he rushed back to Launt, β€œWe have to go. I’ll explain along the way,” he said with urgency as he grabbed the prince’s arm and tried to course him to follow him.

The way that Launt looked at himself in the mirror was one of both pride and anticipation. He had wondered if he was up to the task of taking his fathers place but as the day had come, so did his new found confidence in himself. He was of royal blood and his father would surely not much such a rash decision if he did not believe that he could do it. A firm nod to his mirrored self would reflect back a king in all but title and even that was to come shortly.

Upon hearing the door open, Launt would turn to see Armand arrive and with him, Launt would smile kindly at him. He assumed that his tutor had come to great him well and as he asked him of his readiness, he would nod eagerly. "As I have ever been, more so on the day." He would turn himself back to the mirror to look himself over, straightening the seams and aiming to make himself perfect in his appearance as Armand sent his servant maids away. Maybe he wished to give him a pep talk for the big day but this did not seem to be the case at all.

Armand rushed over and took his arm, telling him he had to leave with him. There was a small amount of resistance against Armand but Launt would not stop him. "A-Armand, what in the heavens are you doing? What is the matter?" Armand was many things but to do something like this warranted reason but Launt couldn't think of what it could be. "W-Where are we going?"

It pained Armand to frighten the young prince, β€œI’ll explain soon but first we must leave immediately.”

The brunet elf carefully opened the door and checked to see if the coast was clear before he coursed Launt to follow him, β€œHurry. Quietly.”

Together they rushed through the corridors at a fast pace but not in a running matter as not to draw attention to them.Whenever Armand spotted guards nearby he would try and look for an alternate route.

β€œYou’re father has been murdered,” he blurted out while they hide and waited around a corner for another pair to disappear. Armand understood how upsetting this was for Launt but now wasn’t the time to grief.

β€œLord Zaos blames you and has issued a warrant for your arrest, the guards are all looking for you. So it’s important to get you out of the castle as soon as possible.”

As Armand explains the situation to Launt they are being halted by the elven guards.

β€œYou there! Stop!” one of them shouted as they charge towards them.

Armand grabs Launt by the arm and together they run, but where to? The tutor tries to think and can only think of one solution as they are being cornered left and right. β€œWe have to go to my research quarters, the tower. It’s our only chance!”

So many different things would move through Launt's mind at the moment and seeing Armand in such a panic helped nothing in his worries. It was only in the fact that Launt had trusted him for so long that he would follow him. They would stop every so often and it took the prince a moment to notice why that was. Though, before he would question this, he was told a truth he just simply couldn't understand. "F-Father...was..."

The look of terrified disbelief formed over the princes face at the words, almost as if it could not be true. That Lord Zaos would wish to pin this on him, it was nightmare turned real. "I w-would never... I would never hurt my f-father..." Confusion plagued his voice as they ran. He would not even hear the guards call for them to stop. Launt's body had moved on its own along with Armand, his state of mind rattled too much to understand anything that was going on.

He heard something about a tower. Armand's tower, where he would spend most of his time when Launt was not being taught by him. He had seen it only a handful of times and even then, never for long. He would feel so many things as they ran. Anger that boiled below it all, a fire in his chest that was surrounded by the waves of sorrow in a thunderstorm of disorientation but he would have to survive this hell as he ran.

Back
Top Bottom