Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Through My Eyes (Nerdofsteel x Applepoisoneer)

The sky was overcast, and everything was heavy with grey. A touch of fog settled low on the ground, like dust kicked up from traffic. Tannis clutched her black trench coat and pinched each of the fasteners into place. She'd always been a little uncomfortable when it came to the cold, unlike the rest of her hot blooded family. Her large, dark sunglasses obscured her eyes from passers by, but also hindered her a little in low-light situations, like today. She tugged the broad-brimmed hat she wore a little tighter on her head so that it wouldn't blow away. The hair beneath was pulled into a low, loose bun of black, shiny hair. So shiny, it carried an almost greenish sheen in the light.

Her position in the call center of a beauty supply company was secluded enough that she didn't have to socialize much physically with co-workers, but could chat fairly casually with those who called in with questions. She always clocked in, every morning at 8 a.m., but she walked briskly and always gave herself plenty of time to stop and get coffee. There was no way she could get through the morning without it.

It was nine-thirty a.m., a young white male wearing a blue polo shirt and red chino pants was eating his breakfast as he had the phone next to his right ear. For the past one hour, he had been trying to get a hold of someone as he was filing a complaint against a beauty supply company. One of their vanishing creme products had made his sister sick because of one of the ingredients that wasn't mentioned on the tub and she was allergic to it. Calling these companies was such a hassle as it could take hours to reach somone or even had to speak to one of their automated voices that weren't as helpful as a human. He was losing his patience but he wanted the matter solved by letting the company now that one of their ingredients wasn't on their products.

It took him another fifteen minutes, but he was finally able to reach someone. "Hello? I would like to file a complaint please." He says as finished eating his scrambled eggs, putting the plate into the dishwasher. "One of your vanishing creme products had made my sister ill and now she is in the hospital."

Tannis slipped into her little cubical a touch later than she'd meant to, but ound the phone already ringing. She responded a little breathlessly, but quickly pulled herself together as she spoke.

"I'm so sorry to hear that, and I hope that she gets better soon. Was she allergic to something in the creme?" She paused a moment before mentally kicking herself. "Oh! My name is Tannis. And can I get your name for the complaint?

He rose an eyebrow, as he could hear breathing a little loud through the phone. Sure, his eye sight was gone these past five years, but his hearing had become stronger as a result of it. If he could only guess, the woman had some sort of heart condition. He didn't expect a lot of these people working for customer service to be good in shape like he was. After all, he was in the army and station over seas. If he still had his eyes, he would be rolling them right now. He didn't like customer support and had always found them to be annoying with really bad accents most of the times. So far she wasn't one of them, and that was good. "Yes, cinnamon. She is allergic to cinnamon." The man said as he got to make himself some coffee. "My name is Ethan Cole, Miss Tannis." he said as the coffee was read and start pouring into his mug. "My sister lost her receipt but she still wants a refund anyway. Is that fine?"

The woman on the other end of the phone made a quiet noise of concern. "Does she know what store she bought the creme from?" She asked, typing something. "If she does, she might be able to get another copy of the receipt. Unfortunately, that's the simplest solution. Otherwise I have to request some tests done on the creme you have. I know it sounds really stupid, but it's to protect against fraud. In the meantime, I can run the major complaint through and figure out why the heck there's cinnamon in the creme, but not on the ingredients." She thought about it for awhile and continued. "I can think of a few of our products that do, but they all have names like,'apple cinnamon whatever'. Maybe...cross-contamination? But I'll look into it."

She leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes, still shaded behind the sunglasses. This was going to be one of those calls that was going to bring her supervisors down on her. She could just feel it.

He gritted his teeth. That wasn't enough for him or either his sister. Yes, she did throw away the recipient. But the company she had bought it from was liable to put all the ingredients on the label so the consumer who rather they should but it or not. If another company, for example, forgot to mention that their product has peanuts in it and a person who was allergic to them ate it, they could really get sick or even potentially die. He could even talk to a lawyer about this, to see if he and his sister had a case against the company for the wrong doing on their part. "That is not good enough. She is the hospital for the past week and the doctors there are saying the medical bill could cost over seven thousand dollars." he let out a sigh acting more calmer now. "At the very least could you ask your bosses to pay for hospital bill then. Otherwise, I might get a lawyer and take this into court."

Tannis breathed deeply, hoping that he wouldn't try to take it out on her. "Well, I know this is outside of my job description, but I can come and get the sample from you if you still have the cream. I'll take it to our techs personally and have it tested." She paused, waiting for someone to come and tell her no, watching over her shoulder. When it never happened, she continued. "It's not that I don't believe you. I really do. We just need to test it, and once we do, we can probably pay your sister's bill."

It was always these customers that were the hardest. The ones that had a good reason to be angry, but would so often direct it at the wrong person. She just hoped he knew she was doing her best.

"That would be best, thank you Miss Tannis and goodbye." Ethan Cole said hanging up the phone as he rubbed his eyes together. It was very stressful for him but hopefully, the least they could do was pay for her medical bills. He got up from his chair, whistling to his German Shepherd to come over as now it was time to go see his sis and tell the news before heading to work. He wanted to come early from work as he was chatting up with this woman at around seven pm. The two of them had been talking to each other online for the past three weeks and he was hoping if they could meet in person and go on a date soon. Though it was hard to say what her reaction would be as he was blind for he did not mention it in profile. It had been an obstacle for him so far and he wanted her to be one who would not mind his disability. Ethan and her German Shepard waited outside as his brother pulled up into the driveway and the two of them got in as they head for the hospital.

(Best we do a time skip. Rather you do it or if I did it.)

(I can)

Tannis had dressed her best, putting her hair up just-so, and brushing off her little black dress. And of course it was all tied together with her dark glasses and her grandmother's lucky snake pin. She could only hope that her date would not be put off by her insistence upon wearing sunglasses, even at night.

Later on the day, he arrived in a taxi cab at her house and got out with his German Shepard. It was hot out tonight so Ethan wore light, casual clothes. As well as black glasses to hide his blindness. Cole hopes she had no problem with his German Shepard coming with them. He was very obedient but she could be allergic to dogs or was even a cat person. So while he might not like leaving his dog in the car or sending him back home, then Ethan will do so. As Cole and his dog arrive at front steps of her door, he rung the bell.

Tannis practically rushed out of the house, tumbling just a little when she saw that it was a taxi out front. She wondered if he had car trouble or just didnt have a car. Hesitantly, she approached the man with the dog. "Um, Ethan?" She waited for a positive response. Then continued. " That's a beautiful service dog." She laughed a bitnervously. "I love dogs, but they don't like me as well."

The German Shepard growled at Tannis, the fur on his back sticking up. It bared its teeth at Tannis as it saw her as a potential threat. "Logan stand down!" Ethan commanded to him as the dog looked back at him, lowered his head, and eventually sat down.She was right dogs didn't love here. "I'm sorry about that." He said bending down and pet the dogs head. "Usually, he's quietly friendly to other people. I'm not sure why would he be acting up like this." and his dog was supposed to be very friendly as he was trained to be a service dog. Ethan could not understand why would he growl at Tannis. "By the way, I don't think I got your name."

Somehow, his voice sounded familiar. She'd been listening to voices every day for ages now, and perhaps they were all blending together, but there was something about it that rang a bell. "It's Tannis. Tannis Argonaux. Pleased to meet you." She extended her hand to him and added. "I've got my hand out." Just so that she wasn't left hanging.

Before he shook hands with her, he was in deep thought as he heard that name before. The Same woman who he had just talk to earlier day about the allergic reaction his sister got from the vanishing creme? It might be somewhat far-fetched, but it was a small world after all. Perhaps while they were going out tonight, he could get answers if the company approved to pay for his sister bills. If not, she was going to be in debt. It may sound rude to ask her if she wasn't the same Tannis he talked to, but he had to know. He reached out his hand and shook hands with before letting go. "Say Tannis. What's sort of job do you do exactly?" he asked her.

She seemed to catch on quickly, recognizing the dawning realization in his tone. "I work in customer service for a cosmetics company. And do you, by any chance,have a sister allergic to cinnamon?" It was crazy! Like something out of a sitcom that just didn't happen. How couldthe two of them just meet like this?

His hunch was right, she was the same person he had to early this morning. He felt like getting angry, not at her but for the company she worked for as it felt like a chore to get the company she worked for to pay for his sister medical bill. Sure it could ruin their night together but he was going to let it slide and let bygones be bygones. "I rather not talk about and just enjoy the evening together," he said giving her a faint smile. he petted his German Shepard to keep it calm so the dog wouldn't try to bark at her or even spook her."Don't you agree?"

(OOC: I'm really sorry I haven't replied, but I had kind of a keyboard disaster, and have to share a keyboard with a friend of mine.)

Tannis let out a sigh of relief and relaxed. "I'm so glad you said so. I really do want to try and get to know you outside of all this craziness." She ran a set of finely painted nails through her strangely green-tinted hair. "So, where should we find dinner?"

"Well...where do you like to guy? Since I asked you out, it's only fair if we go to a restaurant you like," he said to her. Ethan walked right up to get taxi and pay the driver the money he owes him. What Ethan wanted was for the two of them to spend the night together and alone. Save for his dog that is as that can't be helped. Ethan waves the cab driver to leave and approached Tannis again. "You would have to drive as I can't. I'm blind after all.

"Oh." Tannis replied nervously. "...I don't actually have a car. Everywhere I go, I take the bus or walk." She thought a while. "But I know of a really reat Japanese restaurant right near here. Do you like Japanese food?" She shifted a little uncomfortably in her shoes. Normally, no one asked her opinion efore deciding anything. If she wanted something, she always had to fight for it. So, she hoped she wasn't being pushy.

"I used to serve at one of the US military bases back in Japan. I like their food as much as any other cuisine." He did enjoy eating their ramen when he had gone to some the Japanese Restaurants while touring. It tasted a lot better then the packages you would get from grocery stores. But that was years ago and it was a little hard form h to eat it now. His eyesight was gone and though he would eat it once in awhile, it required a lot of patience for him not to spill. "Okay then I will wait for you at the bus stop as you lock your door," he said as he tugs on his dog's leash to follow him as they made their way to the bus stop.

Although she thought it was an odd thing to wait on, she double-checked that her door was indeed locked and followed him to the bus stop. At the bench, his dog sniffed her warily. All the animal attention made her wonder; if he was blind, and couldn't look into his eyes, did that mean the curse wouldn't work on him? Or was it one of those things where it didn't matter if he could really "see" her, and looking into his eyes was enough. Perhaps it wasn't worth the test at the moment, especially if she were wrong. So she sat on the bench with him between her and the dog and smiled. "Well, we don't have to eat sushi or anything. We could get steak, or lamb, just...anything meat. I know it sounds...suggestive, but I love meat." She giggled. "I swear, sometimes I sound like I'm twelve."

He turned his head as he his dog sniffing her and pat his head. He was acting too bizarre today and he could not understand why. Why was his dog being so defensive at Tannis? Ethan didn't even think he could leave him alone with Tannis. Not the way he was behaving."Well....we can get both the sushi and whatever kind of meat they have at the restaurant," he said as he shrugged his shoulders at her. He did not mind ordering sushi and meat entree. Sushi as an appetizer and meat as the main. After all, he was going to be paying their meals like any men would do when they ask a woman out. The bus arrived fifteen minutes and opened its doors. "Ladies first." he said to Tannis as he up from the the bench

Tannis boarded the bus and took a seat, calling out to him when she had seated herself.. There weren't many riders, as it was the last bus of the night, but there was still a little crowd in the back. Mostly, a few guys who looked like they thought they were tough. Tannis barely paid any mind to them and crossed one leg over the other. "That sounds fine." She smiled, finishing up their conversation.d

As they took the best to their destination, he found it odd that Tannis didn't comment him about him being blind or even asked how did they he became blind. Most people he comes across, rather he knew them or not, right off the bat start commenting him. Not sure that if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but he did find it to be strange all the same. "So....you're not going to ask me how did I become blind?" he asked Tannis as the bus was getting close to their destination.

Back
Top Bottom