Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Safe & Sound [Merc & zPrimal]

pariah

original.gif

The cameras were all angled in such a way that they never caught another in their frame while filming, at least three men per camera crowding the already stall studio as Kekoa tuned her guitar. She glanced up through the veil of her lashes to flick her gaze to the wall of glass rounded at the other end of the crowd, three men and a single woman standing behind the barrier with their heads together while they watched her.

’Tell us what you’ll be singing for us Swann,” came the soft but masculine voice of the special’s host, standing behind the camera directly in front of her with his hand on his ear piece and his gaze not even on her.

That painted smile came quickly, like a light switch flipping as her eyes lifted to look into the lense of the biggest camera as if she were shy; embarrassed by the attention.

”Hi guys,” Came her voice, bubble gum sweet and timid as if she were addressing each fan who would be tuning in to watch individually, ”This is ‘Way In The World’, I wrote this with the help of my good friend Eric Divine for my album Take Flight.”

Of course that meant she hadn’t written a single line. Eric Divine and his team had done it all on their own, but the purchasing agreement between her label and the songwriter had them never correct that Koa had any part of the writing process. If they were ever asked, they were by contract required to say that she was a great influence and help on the project. It was all part of that squeaky clean image she was required to uphold.

Especially with the release of her newest album. Only released for a week and already in Billboard’s Top 50 albums of the year. It paid to have an army of pre-teens and their parents as your fans.

The truth of the matter was that none of the music Koa performed as her alias Swann were her own. Maybe when she had first been discovered, when they’d first approached her parents with ten grand a four year contract. Ten years and many, many more thousands of dollars later, and Koa was almost free of her latest contract with the label. They had refused to let her buy out of her contract last year, and she’d been counting down the days since. She had a chest full of her own material, ready to take her risks and jump out into the world with her true self. Not this cavity-inducing wholesome virgin they dressed her up to be.

Cameras flashed and zoomed in and out, getting every possible angle and photogenic evidence of Swann’s brave and triumphant return to music after the attack that had occurred in her own home less than a month ago. The crazed fan who was yet to be caught broke into the young pop star’s home at 3am and cornered her in her bedroom. She had miraculously been able to fight him off and lock herself in her private bathroom until the authorities arrived. The black eye and cut on her lip had made several paparazzi’s mortgages, and sent her PR team into an even more feverish frenzy.

After this live YouTube exclusive was completed, Koa would be meeting the man they had hired to be her personal bodyguard. She glanced up as she strummed her guitar, belting out the last chorus of the song, meeting his eyes through the glass. Handsome, she thought absently, though her mind was far from another bodyguard to fuck. She had enough on her plate already, and was certain that the head of the previous security team had purposefully let that stalker on the premises after she’d refused to meet his demands. No matter. They’d all been replaced now. A move by the PR team to show that her label “truly cared”.

Closing her eyes, she turned her head away and clapped her hand over the strings so that it was only the sound of her voice reverberating through the room.

”I'm not lost, I'm just finding
My own way in the world
In the big old world”

Silence carried through the room, the producers holding their hands up to signal the silence before gesturing to cut. They’d piece together interviews from earlier that day and a few other promotional songs for the Take Flight tour. She was only a few more precious moments from being able to end this exclusive and go wash her mouth out with a bottle of gin. Turning to face the man in the suit, he asked her a few questions, prompting her to laugh, or cant her head coyly, or act as if the perfectly PG question he had was enough to make her blush.

”Thanks everyone for tuning in! And remember, Take Flight tour dates are listed now. Get your tickets by clicking below, and the first one thousand fans will get an autographed picture of me, Swann, exclusively with Renegade Records.”

She held the grin into the camera for as long as the producer’s hand hovered just in her line of sight, able to drop the grin only when he took his hand back. Swann laughed, reaching up to rub at her cheeks and thanking the men and women who had come to record her. Just because the exclusive was finished, didn’t mean Koa could be herself yet. Not until she was behind closed doors, just herself, the new bodyguard, and her management team.

It wasn’t much longer until she was stepping to the other side of the fishbowl; barely taking up the doorway as she stepped inside. Kekoa, as her management new her, was a petite girl. She stood barely more than 5’2” and couldn’t weigh more than a hundred pounds. Her teased white-blonde hair probably took up at least five pounds of that, styled up in the messy, bed-head version of her signature ruffled look. Befitting for the childhood nickname her grandmother had given her when she was just a baby. The label had loved the story so much when she was eleven that they had trademarked it.

”Kekoa!” came the bright and cheerful voice of the personal assistant to the head of the label. He couldn’t make it here himself, of course, but she was in his stead. ”I want to introduce you to your new head of security. His name is…” Bridgit blinked her bright blue eyes and turned to look back at the gentleman, a charming laugh on her lips as she reached over and touched his arm. ”I’m sorry, what was your name one more time?”

The studio was a welcome change after they were deposited in the sweltering summer heat on the street. The air-conditioning was at full blast in the studio, even as they made checks to coordinate with the building's security as well as to check for any potential liabilities. As expected, there were none and the rest of the team vanished into separate parts of the building, leaving him to liaise with the lady, Bridgit. He introduced himself, leaving the others to get acquainted at a later time. He was to be her first point of contact with the security team on the ground while the other members were allowed to monitor the other avenues weakness without much attention turned their way. The label demanded more security, but not to the point where it looked like she a diplomat entering a warzone; to play off the attack with a level of coolness. As such, he was designated as the personal bodyguard for the young star, the only one to appear on the cameras, and head of security while the rest lurked at the edges of the field of operations.

Elliot watched the young lady through the glass, where a man sat before a mixer bench to make sure that the sound levels did not suddenly go out of whack during the live performance. He had gone through her file a day prior to refresh his memory. She was a musician, a talented performer picked up by the label from Youtube and Soundcloud. He also had roughly gone through the process of getting a song released, just as something to know should there be any thing he was expected to know, but otherwise a mildly interesting read on music production. The team were dressed in smart casual, armed in some manner and proficient in a martial art. The perimeter team sounded off in his earpiece, nothing so far. Nothing was boring but also good, it meant that they had less to do and just monitor their surroundings for a weakness.

The itinerary for today was handled by Bridgit, who would probably be keeping tabs on his team for sure. He knew her name first from the internet stores and car radios, not quite to his tastes but it sold well to the targeted audience, and that was what mattered the most. The teens, pre-teens nowadays had more purchasing power and were also easily influenced, making them the perfect audience so long as the label could keep a singer's popularity up. And it worked.

As much as she was loved, the internet never really forgot of another male star who rose to fame in a similar fashion years ago. From the team members who checked social media for possible threats, they all agreed that she had a large amount of haters, a vocal subset which only seemed to grow bolder with her recent attack. Of course not everything said on social media was a threat, but they needed to keep an eye out of a stalker or someone who managed to find locations affiliated with her. For now, the label had housed her in a luxurious apartment which overlooked the city temporarily while they maintained a state of heightened alertness.

Even as she strummed the strings and sang a tune, he found himself questioning if this was a marketing ploy all along. Definitely faked. He confirmed shortly after when she began answering questions in the adjacent room. The song ended and the star waited for the signal from the producer before grinning and thanking those present for their patience and work. And then as the Youtube crew began packing up the equipment, she left to join them in the mixing studio. She barely filled up the doorframe,

He stood behind the assistant, his arms clasped behind his back as he allowed for her to do the introductions. His eyebrows arched briefly but proceeded to introduce himself when she cued for him to speak, "The name is Elliot Roth. " He extended a hand towards the young lady to shake. He stood almost at 6'0", with an athletic build from his military background, his dark hair kept short while he kept himself clean shaven. He wore a fitting charcoal grey shirt which he had folded up to his elbows earlier thanks to the heat and black office pants. "I hope we can work together well in the future."

The way Bridgit flirted with the new guy didn’t go unnoticed by Koa. He was handsome, she’d give him that, but the manner in which the leggy redhead acted was painfully obvious. Dumbing herself down for attention? Reaching out and brushing her hands over his arms, and standing awkwardly close? Koa kept her face carefully neutral, though inwardly she couldn’t help the judge the desperation. She hated Bridgit, she hated the label, and everything that had to do with them. The woman was nice enough in person, but she still worked for him and the good cop bad cop they repeatedly pulled on her was tired.

Squishing her lips together in a purse, she let her eyes dance over Eliot as he introduced himself with scrutiny. That soft, timid, angelic personality that had shown through in the box was gone. Koa’s dark gaze studied him sharply. She took in the fit of his suit, the way he stood with his hands behind his back and legs relaxed but positioned in such a way that showed he was ready for action at a moment’s notice. His eyes were cool, his jaw rigid, and Koa briefly wondered what his lips would feel like, though there was no more sexual attachment to her first impression than that.

Nodding her head once, with a small but still kind smile.

”Me too.”

Turning her attention back to Bridgit, who was busy responding to emails and texts at a rapid fire pace, Koa moved further into the room and then leaned back against the office chair tucked in under the soundboard.

”Bridgit,” she started to gain the woman’s attention, barely getting a ‘hm?’ in acknowledgement, “I sent Henry my requests for the tour but haven’t heard back. Do you know anything?”

Koa had agreed to go back on tour under certain circumstances, and only one had been met. The new security team had been it. She had also made amendments to the proposed cities, schedule, and men on board the bus with her. Henry, Bridgit’s boss and head of the label, had read the email, as her read receipt had acknowledged, but hadn’t responded back. That was two weeks ago, and she was scheduled to head out on tour tomorrow.

”Oh, you know Henry,” Bridgit responded with a laugh, shaking her head and looking up at Koa as though the girls shared an inside joke on the man. ”He’ll probably send his response five minutes before take off, but everything will be taken care of, kiddo. Promise.”

Her frown was apparent. She crossed her arms over her chest, covered beneath the thin and well-loved sweatshirt she wore. Though the temperatures outside were staggering, inside the studio the air conditioning would freeze nipples to diamond points. She opted for layers, with her lengthy legs covered in a pair of skintight blue jeans, a pair of chuck sneakers, and the faded pink sweater over a plain white tee giving her a casual and approachable look for the camera. The colors she wore complimenting her fair skin tone and platinum hair.

”I’m serious. I’m not going if Henry is just going to brush me aside. That guy was in my house. He got into my room.”

She was getting emotional, her eyes pinching with anger as she adjusted her weight against the chair before opting to stand up straight again.

”How the fuck am I supposed to trust a hotel is safe if my own damn house isn’t?!”

Bridgit’s eyes shot up from her phone when Koa cursed, her expression cruel for just a flicker of a moment as she slipped her phone back her purse and leveled the popstar with a cool gaze.

”Watch your tone and your words with me, Kekoa. We have gone above and beyond hiring a new security team for this tour, and we are taking the attack very seriously. Henry is a very busy man, but he is handling it. Now, Eliot here went through a very rigorous hiring process before we selected him and his team for being the best. And you are the best, aren’t you, Eliot?” she asked, her tone shifting the moment she was speaking to him directly, with her eyes kind and inviting as her hand once again reached to linger over his shoulder.

Kekoa was openly scowling at this point, shaking her head as she looked at Eliot.

”No offense, but that’s what they said about the last team, too.”

She was different outside the view of those not in her team, and he watched as the signs of distrust between her and her company began to show. This escalated quickly when the assistant waved off the young lady's concerns. That wasn't very nice, He thought, For the label to be ignoring one of their stars which was considered to be mainstream music, this seemed like recipe for a disaster. Or did they think by trying to play down a young, hormonal teen's concern of an attack would go well even if she did not react strongly? He was about to suggest to Bridgit that it would be better if they could get an earlier confirmation date, if only to prevent further damage from being done. After all the team was just dispatched here and if their contract ended, they would need to get acclimatized to a new VIP.

Then the young lady snapped, getting to her feet and demanding to know how can she trust her security again. This in turn resulted in Bridgit, who obviously did not like being spoken to in that manner, responded in a frigid manner. He smiled at her briefly as she rested a hand on his shoulder, expecting him to say something which would put her mind at ease or silence her complaints.

"Yes, understandably so. What happened to you should not have normally occurred when one has a security team. The fact that the law enforcement showed up before your team is inexcusable." He shrugged, Why call yourselves a security team when there is no security at certain times? "I have trust in my team. But even that is meaningless. We intend to keep a round the clock scheduled security while you are on tour, meaning at least one person from the team will be with you while one is on standby. Since you are frequently before the cameras and public perception is important, my team will be mostly out of sight save for the bodyguard who is supposed to be with you when you are out of the hotel. When you are on stage however, we will be backstage ready to act at a moment's notice and from what I know," He turned to Bridgit, a small smile playing on his lips, an attempt to calm both parties down, "There will be bag checks and metal detectors right? I don't think we want a repeat of what happened at Manchester."

Eliot's attention returned to Kekoa, "When you are in the hotel, security will still remain. We have a rotation of bodyguards or you could just stick to a smaller pool of bodyguards if it makes you more comfortable. Another will be on site, our own rooms, but ready to act a phone call away should the bodyguard on duty be unable to perform his or her duties. However this is not foolproof obviously, if you happen to run out of the net of security we have provided. As such, I will advise you to follow the instructions of your bodyguard." His hand strayed to his chin as he considered what else could he reveal, "Our team consists of ex-military, ex-law enforcement and security experts. You can trust that we have seen the ways a threat can manifest itself and return to bite you in the ass- I mean, to become an issue."

He unlocked his phone, and scanned through the list his team had brought up which were the likely concerns for her security, "So far this seems to be a one off incident, for an attacker to be so bold as to enter your residence. He knows where you live and would be likely watching for weakness. However, he isn't a concern since you are on tour. From our webcrawler and manual search, we are are unable to find those who would have the capacity to harm you, like with the knowledge of the locations you frequent or the hotels you will be going to. That leaves the concerts and possible stalkers in the respective tour locations, which are both highly unlikely. For the concerts there are bag checks and we are very present at the wings of the stages, and as for stalkers, they would need to follow the vehicle we are in which should be obvious enough when someone is tailing us." He looked to the star, "Does that help, knowing how your security will work?"

Well.

He made some really good points.

Koa’s expression began to soften, though distrust was still very apparent in her gaze. She wasn’t sure about Eliot, and that was clear, but her uncertainty was wavering. Her weight rocked to her other foot, her shoulders shrugging as she wriggled in her own shoes. She was anxious. Every sign pointing to not wanting any of this. Her agitation barely held in check every time Bridgit’s lips tightened in that condescending way when Eliot said something she took as a shot back in Koa’s face. An expression of “I told you so” if Koa had ever seen one. No, that isn’t fair, Koa had to remind herself. Bridgit was under a lot of stress right now, too. Taking all her anger out on the redhead was selfish and rude. Still, her aggravation was difficult to squash.

Eventually, as he was pulling his phone out and trying to think of something else he could say that would ease her nerves, Koa was convinced. At least convinced that this new security knew what they were doing. She wasn’t convinced that she’d be absolutely safe. The last team had promised the same thing.

With a sigh, Koa looked back up at Eliot as he met her eyes and asked if that helped. ”Yes, thank you, but I’m still nervous.”

Bridgit took that time to play the good cop card again. An expression of sympathy on her face as she crossed the room to step before Koa. As angry as the girl was with Bridgit, she had still known her since she was eleven. Bridgit had been the one to take the most care of her during those pre-teen years, and there was a sense of family with the woman. She struggled during times like these to weigh those days against the most recent.

”Koa, we’re taking your safety very seriously. It was awful what happened to you. We had a much more thorough vetting system in place this time, and I can promise you that Mr. Roth and his team are the absolute best. Henry has taken it upon himself to call each venue ahead of time and ensure the increased security protocols we requested are in action. The other things you requested, the time off and the visits… you know Henry needs to get approval from the board for all of those things. He’s trying, sweetheart. I promise.”

Kekoa sighed, but nodded; turning her eyes away from Bridgit and glancing briefly over at Eliot again. She studied him for half a second before looking back down at the toes of her shoes.

”Fine, okay. Thank you.”

Bridgit reached out and squeezed Koa’s shoulder before turning and moving several steps away; pulling out her phone again and typing quickly with her thumbs as Koa reached up and rubbed at her face with her palms. Exhaling sharply, Koa pursed her lips and then pushed herself off of the chair and toward the exit.

”I’d like to go home now.”

Home. Home wasn’t home anymore.

When Koa arrived to the hotel, she followed Eliot’s and his team’s instructions without trouble. She didn’t act out. She did as they said, when they said it. And silent the whole time. Once she was finally in her hotel room, though, she felt… trapped again. It wasn’t long after Koa had arrived at her suite when the security posted outside her door were interrupted in their debate over which college athlete was going to make it pro.

”Did you guys bring your swimsuits?” she asked, a kind and friendly smile on her face as she stepped out into the hall and closed the door behind her. She was already wearing her red-striped bikini, showing off the long, athletic legs, slender waist and medium bust. Her wild hair was pulled up and back in a messy bun, and her face was framed with large round sunglasses. She raised a single eyebrow and smirked,

”Your suits will make you stand out like sore thumbs.”

There was not much one could do about another's emotions short of overwhelming them with another. "You'll be fine with us," he insisted, knowing that anything else he could say would seem pretentious.

"Of course." He nodded when she expressed her desire to return to her hotel. "We'll have the driver meet us at the entrance. Make sure you've got your belongings in the meantime." A hand slid to his ear as he relayed a set of instructions and information to the team. "Let's go," He gestured for her to follow not a minute later when the other bodyguards were to return to their own lodging save for another.

It was late in the afternoon when they emerged from the cooled interior of the studio, a hot gust of wind tugging at the earpiece he wore. Luckily, their ride was already there and they took up the back seats, the front passenger seat occupied by another female staff who gave the directions to the hotel.

He kept silent for the duration of the journey, he did not know his client that well yet and it was preferable to remained silent than opening ones mouth and sounding like a complete fool. Their vehicle rolled up to the sheltered front porch of the hotel where they entered the air conditioned foyer, both him and the lady with luggages in tow. He led the way to the lift and had Kekoa to scan her keycard against the sensor, and up they went. It would seem that she was willing to cooperate, unlike other stars which would be more trouble for their security detail, something he could be thankful about.

The suite had two bedrooms each with their respective bathrooms. With cream coloured walls and soft colour tones, the first was Kekoa's who had already settled in, basically the largest room with a king sized bed for herself. On the opposite of the living room was the second bedroom with two twin beds. A wooden terrace spanned the length of the suite, from one bedroom to the other, with an infinity pool as well as sun loungers placed for the inhabitants use.

Once they were in the perceived safety of the suite, she had no reason to follow any instructions and returned to her room. Likewise, he did the same and unpacked the next day's clothing, since they were only expected to stay a day before leaving for her tour. He stopped to look across the living room when she emerged in a striped bikini. He could not help but admire her form for a second, lingering on her nubile curves before catching himself.

"Oh, we do have something else to wear. We don't want to be too obvious to the cameras that we are bodyguards. Today was special because we were meeting you for the first time." His female coworker was nowhere to be seen, probably in the corner of the living room setting up her laptop. "If you're going to the pool, then I'll be right down with you. Give me a minute to get ready." He shut the door and got dressed in grey swimming trunks and a light cyan shirt. A pair of cycling sunglasses hung from his collar.

Once they were back out in the late afternoon heat, he flipped the audio system on, allowing for some white noise from the radio station. There were scented towels folded upon each of the chairs along the wooden balcony and he set one aside to take a seat in the reclining chair, his eyes shielded by his sunglasses. The sliding glass door behind them was shut and curtains drawn to block the sun, separating them from his coworker.

It was only about five minutes as he sat there when he asked, "I was just wondering, Kekoa. Do you have any plans during your trip? For example, do you expect to host a party with friends or anything of the sort? I'm asking because I want to be able to protect you while allowing you to enjoy yourself."

The cool and welcoming temperatures of the studio were replaced by the sweltering, angry heat of the summer outside. Koa felt like she was suffocating in her sweater, but the new security team moved quickly. She was soon within the air-con controlled car, then the air-conned hotel, her nice and chilly suite, and now, as she emerged with her bathing suit on, she felt warm again. Seeing Eliot in the other bedroom, half-bent over his bag, head turned and eyes on her. It wasn’t a sexual look, not lude in any way, and yet the way he was paused, for only long enough for her to notice, made her feel like she was desired. Her cheeks warmed, and at his response she nodded and moved over closer to the sliding glass doors to peer outside.

The sounds of laptops being opened and chords attached from the living room were like a whispered symphony, and Koa glanced over her shoulder to see if she’d get a glimpse of the agent she’d been told was already in the hotel room setting up for their time here. There wouldn’t be any such sighting now, as when Eliot opened the door and stepped out her attentioned returned to her new head of security. Wow. That was quite a change in his appearance. Although his posture remained, sending clear signals that he was a professional, Koa couldn’t help but notice how much more approachable he seemed with a pair of trunks and polo on.

She licked her lips and turned her head back around, opening the door and stepping through to the patio beyond. She walked over to one of the chairs and shifted its position so it was facing the sun and wasn’t so… close to the other. Lifting the towel from it’s seat, she draped it over the back of the lounger and then bent over to adjust the lean so that she’d be practically lying down when she settled on it.

Her head turned when she heard the glass door closing again, and she barely got a hint of long, slender fingers and black nails before the curtains were closed. Koa straightened herself up and glanced over at Eliot as he turned on the radio.

”Anything but pop music, please,” Koa requested as she moved to the pool, not offering any reason as to why she’d want to avoid the stations where she’d hear her own songs.

The water of the pool lapped at her toes, then her ankles and further up her legs as she descended into the crystal clear water. She was pale, her skin as perfect as the Queen’s china, which meant she would practically disappear under the rippling surface of the infinity pool if it weren’t for the striking contrast of her cherry-red bikini. It felt absolutely incredible to be nearly weightless, and she let out a soft but audible sigh as her toes barely skimmed the bottom while her arms fanned out around her like wings.

Music cocooned them as Koa struggled to find something to talk about. She kept glancing up his way, but it was impossible to tell where he was looking with his sunglasses on. He didn’t react to the times her eyes lingered on him, studying him curiously, so she assumed his were either closed or he was looking beyond her. The view from up here was ridiculously breathtaking. It was one of the things she truly and selfishly did enjoy about her fame.

Moving over to the edge of the pool, Koa looked as though she were going to spill right over the edge, but her arms hooked over the thick polyglass ledge fearlessly as the water spilled over into the short reservoir below. The floor below had a large deck extending far enough out that no one would be able to jump from the pool, she noted with detachment. The deck had it’s own safety features, though she turned her head to glance over her shoulder at Eliot before her mind could detangle the possibilities. Suicide wasn’t anything she ever really considered, but plainly dissected whenever she went to a new place. Like some sort of twisted hobby.

His question weighed on her mind, and for a moment she didn’t appear as if she were going to answer him. She shifted her position so that her back was to the endless city scape beyond, her elbows hooking over the glass and her hands barely dipped under the water. The position pressed her breasts out, back arching as she found the solid wall of the glass with her ass as she canted her head. No one was down on the deck below as the hotel was under strict orders to not allow for parties to be hosted while Koa was here.

”Whatever is on the itinerary is it. Whatever meet-and-greets are set up, and they’ll be announcing a contest winner in about two weeks for someone to have a private dinner, backstage passes, all of that. A full date, basically.”

Auctioned off to the highest bidder, it was more like. The top ten spenders on her merch website would be entered into a select pool where the winner would be chosen, but according to the marketing, “anyone could enter”.

”There’s rarely any time for anything else,” she said as though that was the reason she wouldn’t have small, private functions with friends and family while on tour. Before they would linger on the subject, Koa raised an eyebrow and asked ”Are you not going to get in the pool?”

Elliot raised an eyebrow at her request to change the radio channel. Normally pop was associated with these types of environments, but with your leave, He swapped it out for something more suited for his own tastes. The sound of power metal blared from the speakers as he lay back, his arms folded behind his head in the guise of relaxation. Any genre, usually metal or rock held the beat and coarseness in the instruments as well as lyrics which are drastically different from popular music, something not about love. After listening to the same thing, the melodies had melded together, barely distinguishable from each other since all they did was to follow what was the trends.

He watched as she descended into the pool, the cool liquid rippling around her flawless form, like a model on the front cover of a tourism magazine. The view offered from where he say was superb, overlooking the vast city without any obstructions in the light of the late afternoon heat. Her eyes flashed back and forth, lingering on him as though she would like to say something, perhaps to turn the radio off entirely, but since she said nothing, he was not about to make assumptions on what Kekoa wanted. But soon it was obvious she was observing or studying him, which was probably a good idea to remain rather still as though his attention was turned elsewhere.

She turned to face him, her elbows draping up along the edge of the pool, the action forcing her back to arch, presenting her bikini-clad breasts to him. She probably knew full well what she was doing. "I see, we should be fine then. Everything within expectations." He commented, "For these events, it'll be likely only one of us will be physically present with you, since your audience is younger. Don't want to intimidate them, but I think for the first few I will be the one present with you. Don't worry, I won't be wearing formal attire. It makes you seem less approachable too."

"I have been wondering," He continued, seeing that she was open to continue conversation as though he were an acquaintance instead of an employee. His gaze lingered on her knowing that his eyes were completely shielded from her sight, enjoying the sight of glistening droplets rolling off her skin. "What kinds of music or better, bands, do you enjoy?" First and foremost he could think of was not liking your own pictures as they would seem embarrassing or for artists, painters and such, was that they could always spot flaws in their own drawings.

Elliot remained where he was as she inquired if he would join her in the pool, silent for a second as though contemplating the young lady's invitation. "Only if you invited me." A hint of a smile curved the edges of his lips as he teased, "I am on duty after all." He sat up, shed his shirt and dropped it on the chair before joining her in the pool, the water lapping around his sides, the temperature of the liquid much more bearable. He was well built from constant exercise to keep his fitness and over a head taller at than her at 5'9", an impressive build but not like that of a body builder's. "For the sake of us working together better in the future, would you rather less formality between the security team and yourself?" Considering how she had expected him to join her that combined with her mention of not having time to do anything else, presumably her personal life, it was expected that she would want more interaction with others.

He set his sunglasses along the edge of the lounge chair before diving under to allow for the water to cool his face. Still, he kept a distance from her and there was plenty of room in the pool for that. "Do you have plans for dinner? Anything you'd like to have since both of us," He gestured towards the door, where beyond that was his female colleague, "Are joining you for tonight and tomorrow's until ten in the morning, where we will be replaced by our colleagues. I'll have send you the team phone number as well as mine later just in case you need anything. If you have issues with my team's lineup, be sure to inform me and I'll see what I can do to remedy it."

Then he became silent again, if for a bit. Allowing himself to enjoy the view as well as the sensation of the water swirling around his limbs as he rested his back solidly against the edge of the infinity pool.

Drums and bass caressed and rattled her bones all at the same time, and Koa felt more at ease than she had in several days. Something about being in the water, with music that didn’t remind her of the fake, glossy veneer of pop-music, and an admittedly-handsome man did help her relax, but mostly it was the slow shed of that syrupy, candy-sweet persona the label had conditioned her to take as Swann. It used to be a nickname that made her warm, reminded her of her grandmother, but now she hated it and wanted nothing that reminded her of it when she had the choice.

So when he spoke of work, of what to expect, Koa answered but in clipped tones. Straight forward, and to the point. She wasted no energy on elaboration or embellishment. It was, however, when he asked her about what type of music she actually enjoyed, that something in Koa seemed different. More alive, and approachable. When she smiled, it reached her eyes, and her whole body relaxed.

”I’ve always had an eclectic taste in music, honestly,” she responded with a laugh as though it was something to be embarrassed about. ”Queensryche,” she said, accurately recognizing the band from the song that had begun its introduction on the station they were listening to, ”I started listening to maybe two years ago? I was getting frustrated with work stuff and an old security member had been listening to them and I fell in-love. Asked him the band name and that was that. I enjoy rap, country music, classic rock n’ roll, and some more lesser known names from where I grew up. Musicians I can listen to at any time are Etta James, Darius Rucker, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, The Eagles, Evan’s Blue, Incubus, Karnivool…”

Her voice drifted off and she waved her hand dismissively above the water with another small laugh; shrugging her shoulder as she turned her eyes back up to his sunglasses.

”The list goes on and on. It all depends on my mood.”

Then as she asked about him in the pool, and he teased he had only planned on it if she invited him, Koa shook her head, turning his question of formalities over in her head before answering. It was a line that had been crossed with men before him, and although she hadn’t minded most of the time with those past relationships, she had learned first hand what it meant when you started to deny the man in charge of your safety....

”You don’t have to wait for my orders or invitations on anything,” she explained while she watched him take off his shirt and move into the water. ”When it's just us, or you and your guys while we’re in between shows and whatnot, you don’t have to act like you’re walking on eggshells.. I’ll follow your lead otherwise, but please - you don’t need my permission for swimming in the pool.”

Her lips pursed, and for a moment she looked like she was going to add something else but thought better of it. She’d had casual relationships with security details in the past. Some more casual than others. But those had felt… different than Elliot right off the bat. She didn’t feel like explaining herself, going into the details of past “relationships” making her uncomfortable. So, she swallowed the words that threatened to give too casual of a pass in their working relationship, and she left it at that,

As she watched him swim through the water from the corner of her eye, she heard her phone go off on the patio chair above. She pushed off the wall and used her arms to help propel her forward back toward the stairs; reaching for the metal railing and using it to help pull herself out of the pool. She slid her fingers into the bottoms of her suit as she moved up; an absent gesture to make sure she didn’t have a wedgie now that she was in full view of him again. With her back still to him, she leaned over and picked up her phone; drying her hands on her towel before opening it up and reading the screen.

Water ran down her long legs in slender rivulets; dropping from the ends of her white-blonde hair as she reached back and wrapped the thick mane around her wrist and pulled it over her shoulder. She sighed, but set the phone aside before lowering herself in the chair and then lifting the phone up for a selfie. She paused, not taking the photo yet before she smirked with an idea and slid back off the chair and crossed the distance to the side of the pool where Elliot was.

”Bridgit just sent me a reminder that I need to do some promotional stuff for the tour on social media, would you take a picture for me in the pool?”

Her eyes danced with his as she bent over to hand him the phone. She was close enough to see the hint of a scar, and curiosity piqued in response to the mystery that was her new security manager, but her thoughts were interrupted by the opening of the glass door behind them. Out stepped a woman who Koa hadn’t met yet; tall and elegant with her dark hair cropped closely to the sides of her head in a pixie cut reminiscent of a militant hair style. Her eyes were hidden behind dark mirrored aviator glasses, but the full pout of her lips gave the woman an immediate sex appeal that even Koa noticed.

And when she spoke, her voice carried a faint air of command and accent.

”Pardon my tardiness,” She started with a smile, her chin tilting down in a way that made it clear she was looking down at Elliot and not Koa. ”I had to speak with someone at the label to confirm some social media obligations Miss. Miller’s manager had included for the tour.” Her chin tilted, this time clearly looking at Kekoa as she held her hand out for a handshake.

”My name is Talia Lavine. I’ll be in charge of your social media presence while we’re on tour, as well as monitoring any social media threats our team comes across while we’re mobile.”

Dressed in a sharp suit of creased blue slacks, a white blouse underneath a matching blazer, Talia looked like she was ready to conquer a business meeting. Koa was stunned by how beautiful she was, and momentarily found herself quite intimidated by the all-business model standing in front of her. She righted herself, though, clearing her throat and smiling as she slid her hand into the other woman’s for the handshake.

”It’s a pleasure, Miss. Miller.”

”Koa, please.”

Talia nodded in response, taking her hand back and folding it at the small of her back with the other.

”Koa it is,” she said with a smile, ”Miss. Loveless sent out a reminder of some social media posts we need to do prior to the tour. I’m sure you received her message as well?” She waited for Koa’s acknowledgement before proceeding. ”Excellent. I’d be happy to assist you.”

The next few minutes were spent with Koa sliding back into the pool, her hair fixed back in a bun at the nape of her neck and a pair of round sunglasses shielding her eyes. Talia had provided a floatie used to shield Koa’s breasts, keeping up with the pure and virgin facade she kept as Swann. Talia stood just behind Elliot, her proximity making it clear that there was a casual comfort between the two, though there was no possessiveness in the air between them that would hint to the casual relationship they had developed behind the scenes. She clicked a few photos on Koa’s phone, and then quickly sent the image to herself over an email and then handed it back to the girl.

”I’ll need your login information for your accounts as well, when you get a chance, so I can monitor all your DMs and personal messages.”

Koa nodded, thinking over a few messages she’d have to delete before handing the reigns over like that, before Talia moved over to the patio chair that Elliot had his shirt draped over. She moved it back and sat back on the lounger and leaned forward, elbows on her knees as she looked over both of them from behind her sunglasses.

”So. Have you decided what we’re doing for dinner yet? I have to admit,” she started with a smirk, ”I could probably eat a cow right now.”

Koa grinned, raising her eyebrows behind her sunglasses as she looked over her two new security guards.

”Do you guys like tacos? There’s a fantastic cantina around the corner.”

Just as he had thought, and also a relief. He could see her eyes light up when their conversation turned to music and her normally curt replies grew lengthier and expressive. At least she still enjoyed what she is doing minus the genre. He arched an eyebrow as she seemed embarrassed but said to reassure her, it was her own tastes. That and he understood having a wide preference for music, sometimes preferring harsher electronic tunes or symphonic melodies. "That's good. Imagine if you were only restricted to pop music, listening to only what was popular. That would be a rather pitiful state to be in, having your likes determined by charts." He rubbed the bridge of his nose as he allowed himself to enjoy the music and the water, this way he was also less likely to doze off than up on the lounger in the lazy late afternoon heat.

"Very well. That helps since it really comes down to your preference to how we act around you. And being formal is impressive and all but over a long time there are bound to be slip-ups." A slight smile formed on his face as he briefly recounted a memory from not too long ago. "If it helps you be more comfortable, then we'd do our best to ensure that." Being too professional probably was not the best choice when working with younger clients.

He retrieved his sunglasses and donned them as she emerged from the pool to check on her phone. His gaze lingered on her as she flipped through her phone and inquired, "Something came up?" Mentally he braced himself for something the label could have wanted her to do but instead that turned out to be the need for marketing herself on social media channels.

"Sure, just let me get dry first." He pressed his hands down on the edge of the pool and lifted himself up when the door rolled open, admitting none other than Talia. She was one of the two who could possibly accompany him on the first day with Kekoa and was his preferred choice thanks to her stricter work ethics. Her attire was on point as always, since that was what she seemed to pride herself in. From her hair to her clothes, everything was accentuated for a particular style in her mind; In this case, business formal.

Their current attires could not be more contrasting as he stood up to his full height. He grabbed a towel and wiped himself dry before dropping the microfabric cloth onto an unoccupied lounger. A smirk formed on his lips as he looked over her shoulder, "So you decided to come down in the end. I guess Claire will be packing up then?" The curtains were still shut so he was unable to see if it was true. He opened the door to have a look and sure enough the other lady was retreating through the front door, offering him only a wave as she made her way down, presumably to join the others in their own lodgings.

He stepped back to where the Talia was introducing herself to Kekoa. For the next minute or so, he remained silent as the remaining moisture began evaporating off his chest and they began to take some photos as required. He eyed the photos being taken and gave slight comments on them, where he could, seeing as the label wanted to keep a certain image for their star. He was beginning to pull his shirt on as the impromptu photo shoot was done, and he added, "You're probably thinking of all those private messages that need to be removed, but know that all we are concerned is of circumstances which you may not have notified us of, we aren't looking to dig into your personal life, more of looking for possibly liabilities and threats. That is what I think Talia meant."

Dinner. "Sure, Mexican food sounds great. Especially when someone recommends it, how can I resist?" He was not too picky with his food. Whatever came on his plate, he took it. "I'll need to change, and Talia would probably want to too." He arched an eyebrow pointedly at her before getting to his feet. "We can go in about... half an hour to fifteen minutes? We'd have time to eat and chat, and make it back before dark." He checked his watch. Yeah, they still had time before it got dark.

He stepped back indoors and went to the room where he and Talia were supposed to share with separate beds. He rinsed himself with a blast of hot water to wash the chlorine off his skin before getting dressed in his shirt and cargo shorts. Once done, he exited the bathroom and made for the living room.

Talia changed as well, and the three of them went to dinner. Koa had attempted to order herself a margarita, which was promptly squashed by her security team. She was still a few years until legal drinking age by American standards, and although Talia herself was from a country where a small amount of alcohol consumed daily even by children was a regular cultural occurrence, she was well aware of the pristine image this young girl was supposed to represent. Having a drink before she was twenty-one would lead to a very painful headache for both Koa and them. There was no telling when someone would capture a well-timed photograph as well, or a waitress or waiter eagerly waiting for their fifteen minutes of fame sold her out to the tabloids.

So they ate their tacos, drank sodas and waters, and talked about whatever it is Koa wanted to talk about. After a little while, when they were full and satisfied, they headed back to the hotel suite.

Koa retired to her room after about forty minutes of chatting with Talia, learning more about the woman and where she came from. It would seem the women were forming a fast friendship. That was good, and it made the job easier for Eliot and his team, because it made Koa trust them.

And of course they spoke about relationships, too.

Licking her lips to help hide the smirk, Talia shook her head as she reached a single slender finger up to trace her temple, elbow resting on the arm of the chair as she faced Koa across the dining room table. They’d stopped for ice cream, their pints sitting in front of them with spoons in each, Talia’s hardly touched while Koa’s was nearly halfway gone.

”No. I don’t,” she responded, her accent falling off her lips in a melodic way as she resolutely didn’t flick her eyes up to where Elliot stood in the background.

”Oh, but there’s someone!”

”How can you be so sure?”

Koa laughed, and shook her head, pointing an accusing finger at Talia across the table. It was clear to both of them that the girl was overjoyed to have someone to simply talk to. Someone less intimidating than Elliot.

”No one looks that guilty when they’re single.”

A well manicured eyebrow rose, and those full red lips of Talia’s twisted up in a laugh as her head fell back. She was amazed at the girl’s perceptiveness, and made a mental note to be extra precautious around her.

”Alright, alright. There’s someone, but it’s casual.”

”Do you want it to be?”

Dark eyes regarded Koa softly, her lips still pulled up in that small smile before she leaned forward and placed the lid of her pint back on and then walked over to the small freezer.

”We have an early day tomorrow, we should get to bed.”

Koa blinked, and then pursed her lips and nodded. Right. Crossed the line. At least she knew where it was now. She placed the lid back on her own pint and then handed it out to Talia when she reached for it. Tossing the plastic spoons in the recycling, Koa moved into her room but not before saying goodnight to Elliot.

Licking her lips, Talia glanced over to Elliot. Her face was carefully neutral, though her eyes searched his. And then, after a soft sigh and smile, she moved over to where her station was set up, and settled herself in, and began to run through the itinerary once again, this time outloud with Elliot.

1 month later.​

They’d been on tour now for several weeks. Swann had already hit sold-out arenas in Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and now was Las Vegas. Elliot was out shadowing Koa with a handful of other men, including the one that Koa had started to become close friends with over the last month. She’d reminded him cordially of the rule against fraternizing with the client, and he’d claimed they were just friends. Still, she’d seen how they looked at each other.

Talia was ahead at the hotel where a party was being held, and Koa was expected to show up. It was a black tie affair, fancy dresses and diamond jewelry from wall to wall, and men in black ties and flashy shoes clinking glasses and chuckling in small groupings. She was dressed to fit in, with a maroon-red dress and her hair slicked back, her make-up perfect as she held her black clutch under her arm and standing in line at the bar. She’d already made her rounds twice with the security personnel here, and the extra security Elliot’s team had put in place.

Last week they’d come across something on a Reddit forum that had gave Talia enough cause of alarm that they’d doubled Koa’s personal security squad. They’d taken extra measures with her safety, which had in turn made Koa alarmed.

She was jumpy, and had requested not going to the party at all, but the label had reminded her she was under contract for at least a two hour appearance. So she was on her way to the hotel lobby, riding the elevator down from her penthouse suite, with Elliot, and three of his men. She wore a floor-length, black lace gown with a deep neckline, full-length sleeves and a slit ending just above her knee. Her black pumps, gold rings and tear drop earrings completed the outfit. Kekoa looked stunning, and far older than her years. Her eyes lifted and looked up over at her shoulder, searching Elliot’s face with a soft frown.

”Just two hours, and then back home… okay?”

The elevator doors opened, and as Koa’s soft eyes searched Elliot’s, behind her, a vision in a red dress turned to look over her shoulder at the new arrivals.

tumblr_o6p83xrHEr1qal73bo3_540.gif

They left for dinner and things went without a hitch. The food was good and he enjoyed the simple discussion on alcohol which made a segue into Talia's own personal history which he was familiar with. They stopped by a convenience store at the request of Kekoa for ice cream before returning to her lodgings. With the day behind them and the sun quickly setting, he had sat with the two ladies as they talked, only moving away a bit later to retrieve his own pint from the freezer, which he had intended to wait for a while before deciding now was probably the best time to consume the ice cream should they end up having to change shifts suddenly.

He sat down in the living room, some distance away from the two of them but just barely able to make out their words. Not that he was paying attention to their small talk but rather watching a variety show which just so happened to be the first thing he saw while flipping through the expensive number of TV stations offered here which was expected for a hotel of their repute.

They were talking about relationships, at least that was what he noticed until Talia decided to break the conversation off and Kekoa went to bed. "Night," He bade her with a wave before lowering the volume on the television as Talia approached. "So about the itinerary for tomorrow..."

------
One month later
------​

Las Vegas. The Sin City.

With the concert now behind them, there was now a sponsorship party where her various sponsors and elite supporters were gather to meet Kekoa and the label. It was no meet the fans session and that much was made known to them and Kekoa prior to it. Henry was present too, having just flown in only an hour ago and his next flight would be less than six hours as he made sure to meet their sponsors.

Security was much tighter too, thanks to that threatening message left on the SwannFans subreddit. He had expected something to happen during the tour, but that did not mean he was too pleased with the perpetrator, which made extra work for the team.

His team, for the perimeter team and the men were dressed similarly as they were on the day they were introduced to Kekoa. Talia had took it upon herself give the security a surprise check prior to the meeting before entering from the front. The perimeter team had their knowledge of social engineering techniques revised, only to admit those with passes and invitation cards which matched the guestlist. This increased security after the entered Las Vegas was noted by Kekoa who expressed unease. He explained to her the situation, while still the same, he was going to take additional measures just in case. However, this backfired and she had even requested to skip out on the party. He knew that was not going to happen, but decided to have her speak with Brigit with the expected results. Two hours. For this he had also decided to be physically present as she went for the party, it should be over quickly and once that was done he was not expected to enter shift for at least two days until they had landed at their next destination.

"Yes, once its time you can leave discreetly. You are a busy lady after all." He reassured her, "We will also be checking the guests' bags so you needn't fear anything, just enjoy yourself." The lift chimed before the doors slid open admitting them to the gathering. In the background a live band played a jazzy beat while the guests mingled with drinks and refreshments. He reassured her once more as they stepped from the lift before allowing her guards to take their places and for Brigit to take over. There was security at the front door, where they checked their passes before admitting them.

He turned, already having seen Talia by the bar in a deep red dress when the doors opened and made a beeline for her. "The security is alright." That was a statement, "I told you we didn't need to worry so much, our guys know how to handle themselves." He glanced at her up and down for a second, "You look good in a dress."

"Kekoa!" A young lady with her coal colored hair done up in a bun broke away from a group and extended a hand for her. "You did great today!" She bubbled, while with a slight Asian accent which hinted at her nationality from Taiwan, she spoke perfect English, "Oh, where are my manners! I'm Yi Ling." Her parents were sponsors, who finally relented after their child threatened to not take over the family business. "Could I trouble you with a photograph?" She asked, wondering if she had overstepped her bounds. Nearby, a young man also formally dressed but with a mop of amber hair grinned in a friendly manner, raising a camera as though to say just a picture.

Kekoa felt better after Elliot’s reassurances. Of course she knew that they would let her leave, and they would help her do so quietly, but it still felt better to simply hear him say it. After working with Elliot, Talia and the others for the last several weeks, she’d come to view them as close friends. Almost family. Of course, being packed into a tour bus like sardines left little room for anything else.

Since they were in Vegas for a pair of shows and a couple of events, though, Koa had a penthouse suite in this very hotel. Luckily, it wasn’t as cramped as the bus, or the first hotel that she had stayed in after meeting Elliot, Talia and the rest of the team for the first time. Two floors separated by a grand staircase that spiraled up to her master bedroom, master bathroom, and private balcony, with three bedrooms and a large bathroom downstairs that connected off of a single large and lavish living area complete with a full kitchen, bar, and grand piano. The suite had exclusive access to the rooftop pool, which is where Koa had been spending most of her time between shows. As a result, her usually porcelain skin had the faintest tan to it; her platinum blond hair even more striking than usual.

She wished she was up there right now instead of down in this party.

With a soft and deep breath as the elevator came to a stop, Koa turned her eyes away from Elliot and braced herself; a smile already on her lips when she was revealed to those already in attendance. She noticed Talia across the room, and her smile reached her eyes as the taller woman nodded and smiled in return, before she stepped out and moved to the left; nearly immediately stopped by a young woman with hair as black as night and a jubilant face.

Taking her hand, she recognized the name immediately, and laughed softly as the girl’s excitement got the best of her. Despite Koa’s very plain distaste for her current contract requirements, as her security team would have undoubtedly figured out by now though Koa never said it so plainly, she did love and appreciate her fans. As Yi Ling sidled up beside her, Koa slid her arm around the girl’s slender waist and smiled brightly, seemingly comfortable with the girl’s arm at her shoulders.

Talia watched all of this from a distance, knowing how Koa’s skin crawled when people she didn’t know touched her, and marveled at the professionalism the young girl continued to display. Her eyes shifted to look at Elliot as he stood beside her, his comment still lingering in the air between them. She smiled gently, the barest lift of the corners of her lips as she took a sip from a glass of bubbling liquid; a mixture of carbonated water and a splash of apple juice to appear as though she were drinking champagne.

”I look better without it,” she clipped under her breath, knowing full well that the paid of them would be off duty in only a few short hours.

While Elliot was clearly security, Talia was undercover in a manner. She was dressed to blend in, just in case, and as such she was expected to keep up appearances. That meant a glass in her hand, a smile on her lips, and a demeanor that was somewhere between approachable and not. Men glanced out of the corners of her eyes, women openly sized her up, and she simply circled the room with her eyes, Elliot standing near by.

”The subforum has been quiet for five hours,” She reported, stepping away from the bar to a small, round table just over waist height where she could set down her drink and look as though she were mingling about the room. Her eyes lifted up to Elliot, and she admired how he cleaned up. She smiled, gently, and then turned her eyes away to Bridgit as the redhead approached. The women spoke quickly, and quietly, though their mannerisms were similar to friendly acquaintances pleased to see each other, the edge in their eyes said their conversation was less than friendly.

Then Bridgit turned and made her way to where Koa was standing as Talia exhaled and then looked up at Elliot. She doubted he was able to overhear her whispered conversation with Bridgit with all the noise from the gathering.

”Bridgit has informed me that Koa will need to be here for an additional hour, as one of the other sponsors is running late.”

Off to the side, Kekoa turned to glance over at Bridgit, Talia and Elliot as they spoke, her eyes dancing over them curiously before she caught the eyes of Elliot. She smiled, although shortly, as if to say she was fine, before someone called her name behind her.

Shifting her body and her head, she looked over to where she heard her name and glanced right into a camera lense. The flash went off, and she blinked with a small grimace as she flinched back before peeking open her eyes to try and get a peek at the photographer. He was already moving on, his back to her and his camera lifted to get a shot of another patron of the party. Koa frowned, shaking her head and then nearly jumping right out of her heels when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

Whipping around, Koa lifted her hand up to her chest with a laugh when she saw who it was. Bridgit looked apologetic as she laughed, rubbing Koa’s arm comfortingly.

”You scared me,” Koa gasped as Bridgit pouted, apologizing gently and then leaning in to speak her to in a low tone.

”I see you’ve been acquainted with Ms. Ling, awesome!” Bridgit’s voice was nearly sing-song in how she delivered the words, her eyes going from soft remorse when she’d startled Koa, shining excitement when she spoke of Yin Ling, to authoritative when she spoke next. ”Unfortunately, though, the Warner family is delayed, so you’ll need to be here until they arrive.”

Kekoa’s face fell, that plastered smile disintegrating as she looked up at Bridgit.

”What? Bridge… The contract said for two hours…?”

”One hour with each sponsor family. The contract explains the obligation clearly. Henry is here if you’d like to discuss the terms with him directly, though I don’t believe he’s available until after 10pm,” Bridgit offered as she pulled her cell phone from her clutch and checked her calendar. ”Yes, 10:15pm. I can add you to his schedule if you’d like?”

Koa’s eyes burned, but she sighed and shook her head.

”No. It’s fine.”

Smiling quickly, she reached up and swiped her fingertips across her lips before she cleared her throat and nodded. Bridgit grinned brightly and reached out to pull Koa into a hug; patting the girl’s back before she pulled away and glanced at her phone as it went off.

”That’s Henry. I have to go. Thank you for your flexibility, Koa. I’ll check in on you again soon.”

Pursing her lips and nodding slowly, Koa watched as Bridgit walked away. Sighing, she reached into her own purse to turn on her phone to glance at the time. Only 8pm. She had at least three more hours until the Warner family was expected to be here, and then what? How long would she be expected to stay then? Koa exhaled, fighting the urge to frown as she looked over to see a few more approaching folks; twisting her face to smile brightly as she turned to chat with them.

Elliot watched the guests with mild interest, and fell into step with Talia as she walked over to a table off by the side. He could not help but admire her choice in attire, the way the red fabric clung to her curves, something he would have hardly noticed through her normal business attire. "So I've been told. I heard that we could be experiencing some interference today. Not here." His finger jabbed towards the floor. "Upstairs."

He watched as Brigit showed up, but before he could do anything, Talia walked up as though to intercept her. The conversation between them was brief but during that time he focused on getting a read on the guests and before he knew it, she was back by his side. "What is it?" He asked lowly, having a feeling that it was not pleasing news. It was not. "Well, shit. She isn't going to like this." By now the label assistant had made her way to Kekoa's side and was already speaking to her. "Sounds... disadvantageous for the label too. Since why do we have to work extra for a sponsor's mistakes?" He shrugged. "You aren't on duty and neither am I once two hours are up. You can retire when you want, I'll deal with anything that crops up here." He tapped her drink, "You should have really gone to rest on your off-duty. It makes me feel bad, as though I'm pulling you out to work extra."

Yi Ling smiled. And off went several clicks as the camera's shutter opened and closed rapidly. She stepped forward, as though to speak more but stopped when Bridgit entered earshot. She recognized the lady from the label. Having already met once and allowed for the label to take priority. Respect. Or was it? The photographer was already moving on, to other gatherings. He had introduced himself as someone they hired, and she assumed it was her father who did so.

She listened with growing interest. Only a slight frown showed her disapproval before it too faded into a smile. She waited until the assistant left and silence settled between them like the falling snow, then she broke the silence between them once it was appropriate. "That wasn't very nice." Her demeanor changed entirely, now that she had found herself out of the company of others, only her and her Swann. She considered her next words for a second, as it would be rude to voice her concern in such a brazen manner in her culture. "Do you, Kekoa, not Swann, enjoy what you are doing? It seems like you quite the opposite of other stars, don't you think? While most labels fawn and fret over their contracts, it seems that your own concerns are secondary... That could change if a shareholder pushes the right buttons." She gestured, her palm tilting upwards, "Of course, your label has done a good job. And a better one of keeping how things actually are under the wraps. I may only be a heiress now, but I think we can agree that if you can perform better, that will earn the label more... which means you can afford to demand some things which they may consider to be luxury." The slight, harsher business tone in her voice faded as she laughed, "Unless I read things wrong. But if you'd like to discuss more dealings with me, I'm up for it."

There was a flash of white from her clasp as she produced a business card and presented it to her, "My work number. But I think we can still chat just the same."

Back
Top Bottom