Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Upholding Familigia Values & Traditions (Athene & Silverknight)

LadyAthene

Supernova

27th July, 2016
01:10 AM
Detroit, Michigan, USA

Tonight was one of those nights, it seemed. The kind which was young ... but incredibly restless. There was a very tense atmosphere throughout all of Detroit. Luckily, it did have a fair share of legitimate concerns. It wasn't simply paranoia fueling the citizens on. No, that would make everything that was already happening ten times worse.

Although there had been an unofficial ceasefire between the Yi yakuza clan and Andante familigia, there were concerns surrounding both groups.

It was no secret the don of the Andante familigia wasn't in the best of health. Everyone was trying to bet and guess when he would finally leave this world. And then there was another thing everyone was trying to guess and correctly figure out. How long after he perished would it take for the bloodshed to resume?

Of course, there were the hopeful group, including the current head of the Yi household, whom was wanting to believe it would never repeat.

... And yet, Daisuke knew - perhaps better than almost anyone else in his family or even clan - that it was stupid to just assume nothing would happen. Things weren't that easy nor simple anymore. The unfortunate truth was they hadn't functioned in such a way for years. Decades, even.

Sleep had eluded the elder man ... or perhaps 'refused to cooperate' was the more accurate phrase.

Either way, he was leaning against his balcony, staring out at the city and what few lights were lit up. Most from street lamps.

Reaching down into the pocket of his robe, Daisuke pulled out a lighter, pressed down on it with his thumb, and conjured a small but powerful flame. Raising it just a bit higher, he placed it in front of one of his favorite guilty pleasures - a cigarette - and lit it.

Once the cancer stick was ready, he took a drag before exhaling deeply, blowing a cloud of gray smoke into the air.

" .... I need to make a call."

It wasn't really directed to anyone aside from himself. But it was an important task that he had to do. Mentally putting it on his to-do list, Daisuke finished up his cancer stick, tossing it away when it was finished, and forced himself to go to sleep. It was uneasily accomplished .... but he succeeded all the same.

27th July, 2016
09:45 AM
Detroit, Michigan, USA

Because of how eager he had been to get his essential 'call' done and over with, Daisuke had woken up and made his call an hour ago.

It ... had gone actually smoother than he expected. The don of the Andante familigia had actually agreed to consider his arrangement.

So now ... the hardest part had arrived. Breaking the news to his eldest - nay, only - child, Keiko.

He had sent his right-hand man off ... what? Ten minutes ago?

So why is it taking so long? he thought, impatiently tapping his fingers against his desk. Finally, the knock he had been waiting for caught his ears. "Come in."

Inside walked both Keiko and Kai, with the elder male standing behind his daughter.

"You're dismissed, Kai. Thank you. Keiko-san? Have a seat, please. I want to tell you something."

The recently turned nineteen-year-old swallowed softly. The last time her father had recommended her taking a seat, it had been to relay that her mother had died years ago from an abrupt and very unexpected illness. So this was likely a big deal.

"Otou-san? What is it?"

Steeling himself, fully expecting the absolute worst reaction, Daisuke paused before beginning to speak. "You know, I'm sure, of our history between the Andantes and ourselves, yes? While it has gotten better over the years, me and the don agreed we need a form of reassurance to make certain it stays that way."

He watched as Keiko nodded, signaling she was following along.

"And so ... we are going to use an old but - hopefully - successful custom. Keiko? We have agreed it would be in the best interest of my family and theirs if you married Ethan, the don's son."

" .... WHAT?!"

"It wouldn't be right away, mind you. You two will first live together, as if he officially proposed to you. But we do expect you both to work on trying to make this work out, somehow."

"But .. you can't just ... "

Keiko felt shock continuing to make her stammer. She had heard of and even seen a very small handful of arranged marriages. And, admittedly, it was true that she had been spoken to in the past about finding someone to get wed to.

Still, never in her life had Keiko actually expected her father to make such a move behind her back.

"No!" she finally managed to cry out, in a disgusted, shaky voice. "I'm not doing this!"

Even as Keiko got up on her feet and stormed out of Daisuke's room, the yakuza head didn't flinch as his door was slammed. If anything, his eyes narrowed.

Oh yes you will. Come hell or high water, I'll make this happen, with or without your cooperation.

That was what his eyes were all but saying without using any words. Another sigh, this one fueled by irritation and annoyance, passed his lips. Standing up, he walked back to his balcony and lit up another cigarette.

Something told Daisuke's instincts things probably weren't going much easier with the Andante familigia. In a way, it was good. It meant he wasn't the only one having this issue. But at the same time ... he couldn't help but fear that Keiko would never get along with Ethan.

Two stubborn people weren't generally good matches for one another.

His eyes closed as he breathed another cloud of smoke out. Hopefully something would end up working out for them, as opposed to against.

Ethan stood in front of a pool table, his cue stick in his right hand as he lined up a shot. He was a person who loved to play games of skill and this was one of them. His eyes looked down the cue at the white ball as he aimed it skillfully before he shot it. The ball took off like a rocket, hitting another one which slid quickly along the top of the green table before going into a pocket. As it did a smile appeared on the man's face as he looked over in the direction of another man nearby who he had been playing the game against. "Now, game, as normal, victory," Ethan said with a half grin on his face as he put the cue on the table and went over to the bar and poured himself a drink. It was his place, or rather one, and it was closed today as he was to get some important and big news, the details of which he wasn't sure about yet.

"Well, Mario, want a some yourself?" he asked as he looked over at his friend whom he had just beat at the game. He had known Mario since well forever, Mario's father worked for his, and his grandfather worked for his grandfather and so forth since the old days back in Sicily before the Nazi Army took it over.

"Yeah, sure, Ethan," Mario commented as he knew something that Ethan didn't he had been told to keep him happy until the news was broke to him. He was the one to break it, though that was an idea. He had heard about the marriage plans between them and the Asian family. Strange, but needed, at least that was what he was told and he was a man who would do what was best for the family no matter what. He figured that this was the only way, especially given that he was going to take over and well Ethan was good at making money but not so good with women anyhow.

He took the drink as he sat down. He had known the man for 26 years, and now he was to tell him he had to get married to a Asian woman he didn't know. This was so not fair, If only Elise was in town and could of played up the younger sibling adorability and used that to help her sneak it by him, but nope. "Well, I heard some really big news, about things, apparently..."

"What the doctor's think that my father is going to give up or something that old bulldog won't die now, he is too stubborn to die," Ethan said guessing the topic before it was said.

"No, Old man Giovanni won't die that soon, no, a deal was made, and well your going to get married," Mario commented as he figured he had to just toss it out there. No other way then the truth direct and from him.

"What the hell," Ethan said with a great deal of disbelieve as he heard the comment from his friend. "Married, me what, damn, I... damn," he said knowing that his father's word was law and he couldn't go against it no matter what he wanted. Especially when he was on his deathbed, that just wouldn't work. He let out a sigh, he wasn't happy about this and didn't want to marry someone. "Which sister of some member of the group is, or do I know her?"

"No, she is from those Asians," Mario commented not remembering their names.

Yeah, that was a bigger shocker then just him getting married. He blinked he figured a good Italian woman, that would be what he was forced to marry. No, an Asian woman, this was strange, what the hell was going on, he didn't want this. He was not one to agree to marry some strange woman with strange customs. He took his drink and downed it quickly before slamming it down hard, not hard enough to break it but to make his point. "Damn, Fuck, Damn," he said loudly, "I need time to think of a way to get out of this. I am sure we are going to have to meet son, and perhaps this woman hates the idea as much as I do."

27th July, 2016
12:45 PM
Detroit, Michigan, USA

Three hours. That was how long Daisuke gave his daughter to calm down. Gather her bearings and, hopefully, get a grip on her emotions. He had sent Kai after she stormed out and relayed that they would be going to the Andante's headquarters and meeting up for lunch. Now, however, came the real test; had she taken that message seriously or not?

As he finished his 'last' cigarette for the day and stamped it out successfully, Daisuke calmly pivoted on his feet, stopping in front of Keiko's room. He raised a fist and started to knock. Before his fist touched the wood, however, a distinct sound caught his noise. Running water ... either she was in a shower already, or at least was washing herself up. Either way, that made him grin. Even if she was doing so begrudgingly, Daisuke was hoping that this was a sign meant to imply his daughter would try to make this arrangement work, even if it had bee incredibly abrupt and unfair in its own rights.

"Are you decent, Keiko?"

" ... I'm not even in the room. I'm already in the shower."

Not needing to hear anymore, he walked in, greeted with an irked scoff. "I just said I'm in the shower!"

"Relax. I'm not deaf yet. I'm going to stay out here."

A quick turn of his head made Daisuke frown as he failed to see an outfit laid out anywhere. "Are your clothes with you, Keiko?"

" .... "

Daisuke sighed, taking the silence as his answer. "I know Kai-san delivered my message to you. He's my right-hand man for a reason. This thus brings me to a new question. Are we going to have to end up doing all of this the hard way, Keiko? I won't take any joy in it. But if absolutely needed, you bet I will resort to being more 'unfair' than I already seem."

"Yeah right," he heard his daughter mutter. "More unfair? Hmph. I hardly believe that."

Even without being in front of her father, Keiko knew she was pushing her luck.

Yet if Daisuke were inside the bathroom, eh would see daggers practically reflecting in his child's hazel eyes. Mixed in with the anger were a combined sight of resolve and determination.

"Last chance. Get rid of your attitude, or I will select your outfit for you."

"You wouldn't!" Keiko hissed, her head turning as she pretended to try to peer through the wall.

"Oh yes, I would. And I'd furthermore ensure you couldn't get into your other dresser drawers and simply grab another outfit."

" ... Fine! Goddam --- urgh! Alright, whatever. I'll be out in a bit!"

After a slight pause, Daisuke would hear Keiko speak, now having a calmer tone compared to mere moments ago.

"This is just a lunch, right? That's what Kai told me."

"Correct. You will meet Ethan and his family, and vice versa. That's all this is. Nothing more, but certainly nothing less."

" ... Okay. Alright." If that was truly it ... she could handle this. Mind you, that didn't make this any less frustrating. However, part of the reason Keiko had caved in was because her father was honest. Brutally so, sometimes. As such, she knew his 'threats' were anything but idle. He really would have figured a way to restrict her wardrobe out if he'd gotten his way. Ergo, she would trust that this was simply a 'meet and greet' type of ordeal.

Hell, if this has to happen, it'd be better to see if it's even possible to fall for this Ethan, wouldn't it?

In the end, Keiko nodded to herself. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. Hell, maybe she would have more in common with Ethan than she'd originally assumed. Perhaps he was as reluctant as she was with this forced marriage? Until something or someone could prove her wrong, this wasn't yet as hopeless as Keiko had originally thought.

Ten minutes later, Keiko walked out, clad in a new outfit. As she slowly exited her room, she was greeted by her father and Kai, both of whom were grinning. Of course, it was more obvious from her father. A ghost of a smirk could be noticed on Kai's face -- but that was simply because Keiko had been around her father's right hand man for so long. It was easy for her to pick up on small, subtle expressions like that.

"You look perfect," Daisuke stated, walking up and wrapping his arms around Keiko, initiating a fatherly hug.

"I'm ... assuming they were told about this?" Keiko hesitantly asked as she returned the gesture and leaned into the embrace.

"Of course. I spoke with Giovanni-san about it this morning when I made the call to make this arrangement. He knows."

Which, hopefully, would mean Ethan did also. If he wasn't ready ... well, that would be embarrassing. But that wasn't his issue to fret about.

"Well, come on. The time we agreed on was 14:00 sharp. We got about an hour before then."

And even though the destination wasn't too far away, he was factoring in rush-hour traffic, as there would probably be at least a bit of that.

Ethan had no choice he had to come to this meal, it was something he would of rather skipped but that wasn't going to happen, and he knew that any argument against it would of ended nowhere and would of had been forced to go or he would of lost the ability to act so freely and openly. Plus he knew it meant a lot to his father and he wasn't one who liked to disappoint his old man. Still this was going to be annoying and was far from what he wanted. He had sat down at the table of the normal Italian restaurant that they went to, hell they owned the place, so there was no safer place to be. He was sure that it was picked for a reason, but he old habits did die hard.

Ethan noticed the table was in the corner of the room, it was the only table in the room round with tables for those who would be showing up, as he sat down he noticed Mario to the right and his Giovanni to the right of Mario, the seat to his left was open and he knew why without having to see what was going to happen. He knew that the person that was going to the female he was going to have to send time with. He just now had to wait for them to show up and he knew they would, as it was such a big deal and it wasn't to be avoided.

"Well now, Ethan, I have some really good news for you," Giovanni commented as he looked over at him as he gave him a happy but very serious look as he looked at him. "That place down on commerce street, the nice one bedroom apartment," he commented as he looked at him. "You are going to be living there free of charge for the next couple of months. It will be good for you to get out of the house and live on your own for a bit," Giovanni commented as he looked at him with a sly smile now on his face which meant no good at all.

"What..why, I mean what is something happens to you at home, I need to be there so that I can make sure that you get the care that you need. This seems like a rather bad time for me to move out," Ethan retorted as he wasn't sure what the heck made him want to send him out to live alone. "Wait, this isn't alone is it, you want me to live with her don't you."

"Yeah, it is this old man's dying wish and you damn well are going to be able to learn to live with this woman," his father said his eyes showing his seriousness as he looked right at him. "You have to have a future, my family needs a future, and if you don't do this, then I will not allow you to ever move back to your home, got it."

Ethan sighed as he nodded his head, "Yeah I got it," he replied as he knew he had no choice as he wasn't going to like this or like where this was going, but he had zero options and he again was a dutiful son who listened and wanted to follow his father's rules. He and the others from their clan as it were all in black suits as they saw the somewhat out of place Asians enter into the room, he looked as he noticed the young woman that had to be this woman. He looked now and waited as he stood up from the table waiting for the others to gather around. It was a odd situation that they happened to be in.

"Well, welcome to my place, it is a great honor to welcome you and your family," he said as he looked at the elder of the family reaching out his hand to shake it respectfully. This was a deal he had to have and he knew that he would do everything in his power to make this happen for the good of the future.

27th July, 2016
13:57 PM
Detroit, Michigan, USA

"Perfect. We got here with a few minutes to spare."

As Keiko slowly stepped out of the vehicle, her head tilted slightly. Sure, she remembered her father hinted they were going to be going to eat lunch. But she hadn't expected to do so at a literal restaurant. A mansion - or residence of some sort, yes. But this?

... Ah well. A quick peek inside the closest window revealed there was almost no one inside. Likely a move the don of the Andante organized himself so there could be some privacy. Admittedly, even Keiko had to confess to herself that was a generous move. If they were going to be in a public setting, may as well make certain the only pair of ears that would hear this talk belonged to anyone who deserved to know.

A hand firmly yet gently landed atop her right shoulder. Keiko didn't need to look back to know it was her father. And on the off chance she had been wrong somehow, the gruff voice confirmed her guess was right. "Be civil," she heard her dad order. "They have been generous enough to hear me out. The least you can do is not embarrass me in front of them all."

" ... And ... Kai is here because ... ??"

"The smallest of precautions. I'm not a complete baka to fully let my guard down. Of course, I'm not expecting anything dire to happen. But it seems we weren't alone in having a loyal assistant come over either."

Sure enough, when Keiko focused, she saw three men already inside, not simply the Don and Ethan.

Taking a slight breath, Keiko nodded, holding her hands in front of her midsection. "I ... guess I'm as ready as I can be."

As Daisuke walked in front and led the other Asians inside, a proud smile could be seen out of the corner of Keiko's brown eyes. She should feel similar; proud. Happy. Relieved that she was making her father feel good. But ... nothing was even beginning to course through her blood or flesh. All Keiko could feel was a sense of hopelessness. Annoyance. Wanting to turn on her feet and get back in the car ... yet restraining herself out of fear on what her dad would do.

Even to her, he wouldn't have any qualms using physical punishment on his own child. He'd proven that before in the past. With this being for a very important arrangement, it implied any slaps or spankings Keiko had suffered before would be tame compared to what would fall upon her should she act out of line.

"Giovanni-san!" Daisuke greeted, bowing his head politely, reaching out and accepting the handshake. "It's good to see you're well enough to be here in person. I don't believe you've met my own right-hand man, but this is Kai. And behind me ... is the real person you all are here to meet. My kiseki, my only child ... Keiko."

Even Keiko couldn't help but blush slightly. She knew the compliment of being called her father's miracle was partially an effort for him to suck up to her. To apologize and make this all the more tolerable.

But at the same time ... he was being honest. If she'd had any sisters, there could have been a chance for any of them to be in her spot instead of Keiko being forced to be in this forced meeting. Alas, no such luck for her.

"A-Afternoon, Giovanni ... Ethan .... " Keiko finally replied, extending her own hand out in an attempt to heed her father's advice of being civil with the Andante's.

Giovanni took the hand of the young woman and kissed the top of it. The silver fox was very much a charmer and was good with these situations. It was easy to see that the charm was a unique skill of the older man. "Now it is a honor to meet you finally young woman, I am sure that you are everything I have heard about," he said looking up after kissing her hand. "This here is my son and my best man Mario," he explained as he motioned a bit to his son who took her hand and kissed it as well. Mario nodding as he kept a close eye on the others who were their as he was the protect and best man in their group.

Ethan kissed the hand and smiled, she wasn't bad looking at least. He could of been forced to marry a ugly woman but he knew that his father wouldn't force him to do that, or at least he didn't think so. He was sure that she was not someone he would ever deal with normally though either. He figured that it was going to be a pain though as he didn't know her and sat down, net to Keiko. He leaned forward a bit as he could feel this great awkwardness around them filling the whole of the room. He wasn't sure what the hell to say to this woman, he didn't know her, he didn't know her triggers as it were.

"Well now, I hope you don't mind by I had the house special ordered for the table," Giovanni commented looking at the rest of the group. It was a large bowl of salad prepared for them, as well as a bowl of Tortellini, as well as some Calamari. It was a impressive spread of food for them to share. It was him who would break this awkwardness as he figured that he had seen life and honestly he didn't care about staying quiet in any situation. "Now, it is good to see you all in good health and well the deal with the place has been finished," he informed Daisuke as he could guess he hadn't informed Keiko of that plan.

Ethan put food on his plate as he then ate quietly as he wasn't sure what to say. He knew that it was a tense situation as the people there were after something, but he knew that he wasn't sure he could do what his father wanted. He felt Keiko's presence so close to himself as he sat there. He wasn't sure what was going though her mind but he figured that she wasn't the type who would go well with what her father and his own's plan was. He figured that saying nothing at the moment was the best move. The fact that his father called it the place, told him that it wasn't known to Keiko that they were going to have to live together.

"Oh? And what have you been told?"

Though the question would have been a very valid and fair one, Keiko was a bit terrified to actually ask Giovanni what all had been relayed to him - an possibly Ethan. It wasn't simply because of this coerced meeting that she cared about what people thought of her. The fact of the matter, however, was this had been planned even more perfectly than Keiko realized. There were fewer and fewer doubts now that she thought long and hard that her father had to have prepared everything for quite some time. It made her gulp slightly, the revelation alone hinting just how smart her otou-san truly was in addition to other traits like strong.

Either way, the fact of the matter was - if this were almost any other month - Keiko would be in university.

She didn't look nor act like the typical daughter of a yakuza clan. It was thus partially due to her possessing a damn good reputation at her school that Keiko was behaving decently. Like Ethan, she too didn't like disappointing or letting down her father. It was more accurate to say she dreaded ever risking doing such a thing.

Poor Keiko almost didn't realize she had briefly zoned out ... until not Giovanni's soft kiss, but Ethan's, finally registered. Her head lowered in time to see the man she was supposed to marry gently lower her hand. A weak smile crossed her face as the young Asian politely bowed her head, finally moving and sitting down after the introductions were finished up.

"Not at all, Giovanni. In fact, this was probably for the best," Daisuke replied, nodding in approval as he heard the elder don break the ice first. Daisuke couldn't help but feel a sly smirk mix in with his smile as he heard Giovanni dictate 'the place' was done. "Ahh, perfect. Good, good. We can work on all of that soon enough then."

" ... Place?" Keiko repeated, setting a plate holding lots of food up, yet not eating. Something told her it'd be wise to wait, lest she risk choking on her lunch.

"Well, as I said earlier. You two aren't immediately going to be married off. We are going to give you both some time before the ceremony arrives. So, you two are going to be starting as if you were engaged."

Keiko paused, taking one moment to think about her dad's words.

... It was indeed a good thing she had waited with eating. She definitely would have done something stupid, be it biting her tongue or something worse. " ... W-Wait. You mean ... ??"

"If you're about to ask about living together, yes. That is exactly what I mean. Giovanni and I will take care of the rent and bills. I will even provide you with a monthly allowance in your bank account, so you can get any extra clothing or supplies for the apartment. Furthermore, your expenses for university will continue to be taken care of under the condition you try to make this all work. And, of course, you need to keep your grades up ... though that's not my concern, for obvious reasons."

Now that is a pretty low blow, Keiko somewhat bitterly thought, not bothering to hide part of her thoughts by frowning slightly. Even still, it didn't evolve into anything worse. After staring in annoyance at her dad, Keiko sighed, the expression on her face changing to a more neutral one as she nodded in understanding. "Okay. I get it."

Doesn't mean I like it though, she inwardly added.

All three members of the Yi clan pressed their hands together, looking like they were going to pray. At almost the exact time, their heads bowed slightly, and a soft, foreign term could be heard uttered from all of them. "Itadekimasu," before they all began to eat.

.... God, what do I even say? In a situation like this ... is there even anything to say?

There were. Keiko knew that much was true. She simply didn't know what to ask.

Luckily, Daisuke seemed to read her easily enough.

"You will move in within the next three days, depending on how quickly packing for you and Ethan goes. Kai will help you out first thing tomorrow morning. Worry primarily about essentials; clothing, outfits, anything you'll need for your college. Stuff like that. Anything you can't get will be things you can replace."

" ... Yes, father," Keiko responded, her voice barely above a whisper as she grabbed some of the noodles with her fork and resumed eating her lunch.

For Ethan there was no surprise in this as he had known it was happening before this moment. He looked at Keiko and figured she was her papa's little princess and that was the type of woman she was, if he was right or wrong he wasn't sure, but he didn't know her. The first impression though told him daddy's princess to the type of woman that she happened to be. He figured he would have to get to know her and deal with her, especially since he seemed to have no choice in the matter. Why his father couldn't pick out a good Italian woman for example was beyond him. He should of made the move on one or two was his next thought, but it was to late for that and it would seem that he was in this situation and it wasn't one he would slip free of easily or without a price that was way to high.

Ethan looked at the food, and then his father and nodded his head. He paused as he said the lord's prayer in later. As good catholic men it was needed before the actually ate. They also were traditional the need to know latin important to each generation of their family as well as Italian as a way back to the old country. Ethan started to eat to enjoy the meal himself, it was the same as normal, good. They came to this place for important events or ones that others considered important enough to place there. He knew this was considered one of the most important events to happen in a while for his family.

He knew as the only son he had a lot more responsibility on his shoulders and he would have to live up to them. it was a weight he had grown used to over time. He focused on his meal once in a while he did look up at this woman he was to be with. He didn't know here and she seemed as happy about the situation as he was. Which meant she wasn't happy about it in the least. She seemed well enough, she wasn't ugly or fat which was good, but she didn't yell out, the most beautiful woman in the world either. He figured he would have to make due with this, at least for a short while. Now personality wise other then what he noted at first, he wasn't sure what type of woman this was, but then again women were by nature tricky creatures.

The meal was quiet for the most part, as the two side kept a close eye on each other most likely measuring up each other as the atmosphere remained somewhat tense by perhaps nature. The natural distrust from the past still present in the room. Mario especially keeping a close eye on this enforcer on the other side, his opposite number he could see the danger in this man and knew if things went wrong quickly he was his target. His constant mission to help and protect Ethan from threats and dangers to him. Giovanni purposely ignored all of this though as he ate, it was not something a man who was dying needed to worry about, he was content with his life and he knew this would be a challenge, but one worth it, if things went well.

"Now, I had my men move my son's things to the place while we were here, less problems, let me tell you, then they can't complain about having their stuff moved if they don't know about it right?" Giovanni said with a knowing eye as he looked across the table. Ethan surprised by this, but not to terribly as he knew something like that would be pulled.

Despite the silent tension continuing to linger in the air, Keiko felt glad for one specific thing. At least she wasn't the only one having issues talking. Ethan, too, had been silent for most of this discussion. In fact ... she was almost positive he had yet to speak up. Either way, she wasn't the only one that seemed to be feeling hesitant to say anything. In its own ways, it was very reassuring for Keiko. At the rate things were going, this deal may not end up screwing up because of her own stubbornness.

He probably doesn't even like you ... she thought darkly, continuing to eat.

Although, at this point, it was very forced. Her appetite had rapidly dwindled and was barely existing still. Each new bitter possibility that entered Keiko's mind made another sliver of hope and hunger fade away.

This is just going to be a waste of time.

Maybe ... you should just try to run away. Before it leads to bloodshed.

Baka. That will definitely lead to another war. Then what?

Well, fuck! What am I supposed to do?! Move in and have nothing good come out of this?!

Her entire body was now shaking, fueled on by fear and anger mixing violently together. She wanted nothing more to get up to her feet, leave the restaurant, and lock herself in the car. That .. was out of the question. Kai would stop her before she got even five paces out of her seat.

Is there really nothing that can be said or done?

"...Keiko-san?"

Like the observant right-hand man he was, Kai had taken note of something that Keiko didn't realize. Not before her head lifted and everything looked a bit blurry.

"Bathroom," she hastily stated, pivoting quickly on her feet and walking off faster than she'd done in some time. "I'll be back."

Luckily, this was a valid excuse. One of the few she knew she could say and not be followed around by any of her father's men, which was more than okay with her. Because, for now, she wanted to be alone. If she was going to break down and cry, fine. But not everyone needed to see the sight. The moment she walked through the door, she locked herself in the nearest stall. Shakily sitting down, Keiko covered her face in her hands, finally allowing the tears to flow freely.

Daisuke sighed as he watched Keiko walk off. The tears hadn't gone past his view either, unfortunately for her.

Truthfully, he doubted that anyone at the table hadn't seen her cry.

"Want me to ---??" Kai started to offer, quickly going quiet as Daisuke moved his head from side to side and raised a hand.

"Better to let her get this out of her system now than later. She'll come around, in time. Truthfully, I was more amazed she didn't jump right to this reaction sooner."

Harsh as the words sounded, they were simply the truth. Keiko tended to do something akin to 'speak first, act later'. However, those could be reversed, if the situation called for it. This was certainly one of those moments, where Daisuke had expected more actions instead of words from his daughter from the get-go. "I'm sorry you all had to see that." Though if he had to be perfectly blunt, he was most regretful that things had gotten so bad he had to force something as essential as marriage to be arranged for her.

Let alone doing so with no real option or chance to protest.

But ... it had to be done. And in the end, it would be worth it.

At least that was what Daisuke continued to convince himself as he ate.

Despite the silent tension continuing to linger in the air, Keiko felt glad for one specific thing. At least she wasn't the only one having issues talking. Ethan, too, had been silent for most of this discussion. In fact ... she was almost positive he had yet to speak up. Either way, she wasn't the only one that seemed to be feeling hesitant to say anything. In its own ways, it was very reassuring for Keiko. At the rate things were going, this deal may not end up screwing up because of her own stubbornness.

He probably doesn't even like you ... she thought darkly, continuing to eat.

Although, at this point, it was very forced. Her appetite had rapidly dwindled and was barely existing still. Each new bitter possibility that entered Keiko's mind made another sliver of hope and hunger fade away.

This is just going to be a waste of time.

Maybe ... you should just try to run away. Before it leads to bloodshed.

Baka. That will definitely lead to another war. Then what?

Well, fuck! What am I supposed to do?! Move in and have nothing good come out of this?!

Her entire body was now shaking, fueled on by fear and anger mixing violently together. She wanted nothing more to get up to her feet, leave the restaurant, and lock herself in the car. That .. was out of the question. Kai would stop her before she got even five paces out of her seat.

Is there really nothing that can be said or done?

"...Keiko-san?"

Like the observant right-hand man he was, Kai had taken note of something that Keiko didn't realize. Not before her head lifted and everything looked a bit blurry.

"Bathroom," she hastily stated, pivoting quickly on her feet and walking off faster than she'd done in some time. "I'll be back."

Luckily, this was a valid excuse. One of the few she knew she could say and not be followed around by any of her father's men, which was more than okay with her. Because, for now, she wanted to be alone. If she was going to break down and cry, fine. But not everyone needed to see the sight. The moment she walked through the door, she locked herself in the nearest stall. Shakily sitting down, Keiko covered her face in her hands, finally allowing the tears to flow freely.

Daisuke sighed as he watched Keiko walk off. The tears hadn't gone past his view either, unfortunately for her.

Truthfully, he doubted that anyone at the table hadn't seen her cry.

"Want me to ---??" Kai started to offer, quickly going quiet as Daisuke moved his head from side to side and raised a hand.

"Better to let her get this out of her system now than later. She'll come around, in time. Truthfully, I was more amazed she didn't jump right to this reaction sooner."

Harsh as the words sounded, they were simply the truth. Keiko tended to do something akin to 'speak first, act later'. However, those could be reversed, if the situation called for it. This was certainly one of those moments, where Daisuke had expected more actions instead of words from his daughter from the get-go. "I'm sorry you all had to see that." Though if he had to be perfectly blunt, he was most regretful that things had gotten so bad he had to force something as essential as marriage to be arranged for her.

Let alone doing so with no real option or chance to protest.

But ... it had to be done. And in the end, it would be worth it.

At least that was what Daisuke continued to convince himself as he ate.

Ethan hadn't thought this would be such a negative experience for this woman, he had not thought about how she would see the situation, but it was pretty damn clear now that she was not in favor. It wasn't surprising, he guessed she had a boyfriend or someone close to her that she longed form, maybe even this right hand man that was so close to her, or seemed so close to her. He looked up as he heard his comment and wondered a great deal about this possibility. Not that it mattered, he didn't want to be with this child, he wanted a good Italian woman as his wife not some Asian woman who broke down so easily.

He wasn't impressed, and he didn't need to say a word as he shook his head, 'Yeah sure, makes sense, a princess like that would need something like that,' he would of said but damn he was not stupid and kept it in his mind and didn't say it outloud. He wasn't dumb enough to do something so dumb and he was a young man who could see the bigger picture and he knew that this was to connect the groups, but he didn't have to have a real marriage ie could be just one for illusions as it were.

"Yes, quite normal, when one has to deal with a big change people tend to react negatively, especially when it is a change they don't expect," Giovanni said with a kind tone to his voice, "She is a spirited one I am guess," he reasoned as he ate, "Now Ethan will make sure everything is working and make sure it is ready for your daughter's arrival, we will make sure that she is taken care of and will not have to act so much as she is now, right," he commented in a tone that Ethan knew it was directed right at him a command and forceful for him.

"Yes, I will move in everything myself and make sure that the house is ready for the princess," he commented calmly as he looked over at his father knowing not to question someone above him and especially not his father. He knew he had to do this and there was no way out. "I hope that your daughter likes the place," he said to Daisuke as he knew that he had to be respectful to both the heads of the family. The meal was good enough though he knew that it could of gone way better. "If you wish to come over before your daughter to see it to make sure it is good enough that is fine as well."

Daisuke noted Ethan shaking his head and tucked the image away. Oh, he definitely had words about that gesture, but not at this very moment. Soon though ... very soon. He could almost hear it.

When both he and Kai finished, he finally nodded to his assistant. "Alright. Now do go make sure she's at least well enough."

His head bowed politely to Giovanni, glad at least someone was being patient with his only child. He'd allow Ethan a few more seconds of silence before finally piping up. "Ethan-kun, I want you to look right back at me while I say this, because I'm not repeating myself." Daisuke would wait for the order to be heeded before beginning to sternly speak. "Yes. I will confess Keiko is precious to me, something you no doubt picked up on. 'Kiseki', for the record, is the Japanese term for miracle. In her case, it couldn't be anymore true. That being said, there is a huge difference between a 'kiseki' and a 'hime' - princess, as you so elegantly use it."

Reaching down, Daisuke took a sip of his water before continuing on, "As such, I will confess her behavior at the moment is most definitely not her best. Still, you're not overly in the right to silently scold her by shaking your own head. Not unless you can earnestly say you are fine with this. And even if that is true ... she's not spoiled. In fact, you will come to learn that Keiko is rather competent with a great number of things, some of which I doubt you'd expect. I will expect you to be respectful to her ... as I'm sure you own father will, on the off chance you care not about my own words and desires."

Daisuke could have gone on and on, but really, his point had been made.

Plus ... it would have crossed quite a few lines. Most of which would no doubt have seemed like Daisuke was coming off as too aggressive and that wasn't his aim. He did want to make Ethan realize that he was serious, most definitely. Yet at the same time, he wasn't trying to make Giovanni's son feel like he needed to watch his back constantly.

Should Daisuke have needed anymore incentive, it came as Kai and Keiko both returned, the latter's face slightly wet from water as opposed to tears.

Even after Keiko finished her own lunch, no immediate move was made on any of the Asian's behalf to leave. "Giovanni-san, as there anything else we needed to bring up now? Or are we alright for the time being?" Daisuke inquired, wanting to make sure everything that had been said and done was complete before leaving.

Ethan looked at the elder Asian man as he gave him his advice over his daughter. He didn't like what he had said which was obvious and natural as well. He let out a sigh as he knew he wasn't wrong, that she had reason to be frustrated and annoyed at the situation, he was. He just didn't think about her side of things for whatever reason. He thought about this woman he was to have to marry, maybe he hadn't but he knew nothing about her. He just knew what family she was from and what race she was. He didn't know anything that wasn't well superficial at the highest levels almost. He knew very well that was the case, and he could tell he goofed without needing his father to give him one of his looks.

"Your right, I could tell you all about how I will treat your daughter well and with respect, but honestly any words I say will be pointless. Words that come out of such a situation as this must be looked upon with doubt and judged later," Ethan replied looking right at Daisuke. "No, I will show you by my actions and hopefully your daughter's words that I treat her with respect in time, till then we will see," he replied as best as he could knowing that words were not that important or powerful when dealing in these kinds of situations. He figured he would play his role and act as he should, and he wasn't the type of man to mistreat a woman anyhow.

Giovanni let his son reply before looking across the table as he looked at the two return. "No, nothing needs to be gone over, that can't be gone in other ways. I will have Ethan prepare the apartment as best as he can, and make sure there is nothing that will be problematic in the area of the apartment. He will work at the same place he always does while your daughter goes to school and works on her degree. We will come back and talk about how this deal is going in either a month or two which ever works best in your territory this time to be fair," he said as he went over the plan of action with Daisuke. "I figure we are good and you can then take your leave and have a blessed day."

Good. His point had been made, and Daisuke knew that to be true. He could have tried to lie or bullshit him, but he hadn't. And that was something the yakuza leader definitely appreciated, if nothing else. Still, he oculdn't lie that part of him was a tad irked at the gesture he'd seen. He was at least able to keep his own reactions and emotions in check simply because he had things he could do when they got back home. For now, seeing him silently admit he was just as upset as Keiko was - but showing his feelings in a very different way - was more than good enough for Daisuke to see and note for the time being.

"I wouldn't say any words would be pointless. There could be some; but, if none that would aid out are coming to your mind, then you're probably doing the right thing. Keep in mind, however, you're not going to be able to keep playing the 'quiet game' with my daughter forever. In fact, I expect it to end when she moves in with you."

Giovanni's confirmation made Daisuke's head bow politely. "Very well. Seeing as we're done with that, for now, we'll head back and get started on packing until. We'll see you again soon."

One by one, they all left the restaurant. However, before Keiko was completely out of sight, Ethan would see her offer him a wave goodbye; not the best gesture, but it was definitely better than almost anything else she could have ended up doing.

30th July, 2016
21:13 PM
Detroit, Michigan, USA

"Oi, Keiko! We're going to be late! We swore to be there before nine thirty, and it's already nine thirty!"

Kai was standing beside Daisuke outside her room. It wasn't too surprising she had locked herself in. They had hoped, however, that was the agreed upon time drew closer, she'd wise up and open her door. Alas, no such luck. Kai merely sighed and looked over towards Keiko's father. "I think you're going to have to use it."

Daisuke nodded, swiftly pivoted on his feet, and stormed off.

"He doesn't even like me," Kai would finally hear Keiko say.

"Do you know that for sure?"

"I do know he made no effort to say anything to me. Even when we left, I tried. Failed, yeah. But hell if I didn't make an effort. And then ... just during the whole lunch. He looked so disappointed, and made no attempt to hide it. I'm probably not the type of woman he wants. Not 'busty' enough or some shit like that."

Despite being divided by a locked door, Kai could practically see Keiko rolling her eyes, which made him slyly smirk.

"Well ... as I asked before, do you have anything to prove all of that is true? This may end up working. You do realize, though, the arrangements have already been made? It's too late to simply say 'Nope, don't wanna do this' and not show up, right? It'd cause too many complications, most of them in a bloody fashion. You've been fortunate enough to not see the worst fights we've had. Please ... don't tempt your luck."

The door jiggled once more .... but remained firmly locked, making Kai elicit an irked sigh. "Well, at least I tried," he muttered, moving aside as Daisuke returned.

"Keiko!" Daisuke called out, "You have to the count of three to unlock this door. Either you do so or I'll make it open."

... That has to be a bluff, she thought, moving her head from side to side.

"Ichi ... ni .... "

He purposely paused, hoping to hear her get up off the bed and move towards the door. Unfortunately, he didn't hear anything of the sort.

"San," he simply declared, pulling the item he had gone off to retrieve out and showing it to be a skeleton key. It was something he'd had made years ago, and quite frankly, was relieved about going through with.

Keiko blinked, clearly not having expected or known about the key, as she got up off her bed and ran for the window.

"Nope. None of that."

"Ah!" Keiko gasped as she felt her body effortlessly picked up and thrown over her dad's shoulder. "Oh come onnnnnn! This isn't going to work! How do we know nothing bad will happen anywya?! And if it does, then what?"

"To be sorta fair, bad things always happen in life. If you mean, though, from Ethan's family, the answer is simple. It won't likely be from Ethan or Giovanni, but anyone who is more akin to a renegade or rebel. As such, Giovanni will deal with them. Or ... if we're forced to, we will. Regardless, there's a reason our family is still standing. Why do you think I had you learn all of those martial arts at such a young age? It wasn't only to keep you out of trouble."

Keiko merely sighed, resting her head against Daisuke's back. Even if she did get some good punches against his back in, he'd have a counter faster than she could predict that. There was one saving grace about being carried out in such an embarrassing fashion, and it came in the answer of the darkness concealing her and Daisuke's forms.

The drive took six brief minutes. Right as the car stopped and Daisuke got out, the clock struck 21:20 exactly. He looked down to Keiko, wearing a stern expression. "Am I going to have to carry you out like that again? Or will you walk on your own two feet? I can work with either method, but I know one answer will seriously wound your pride more than the other. We both know that, in fact."

"Yeah, yeah," Keiko muttered, reluctantly opening her door.

"Good. Grab at least a few of your bags. Me and Kai aren't doing all the work, but we will assist."

And because of their combined efforts, all of the bags were grabbed. As promised, most were clothing. A few, however, had her college supplies, including the numerous textbooks, laptop, binders, and so forth.

Taking a slight breath, Keiko reached forward and used her free hand to push down on the doorbell. Her other tightly held onto one of the mostly clothing-filled bags as she waited, her heart beating wildly in her chest as she waited for Ethan - she assumed that would be who'd get the door - to answer.

The days up to the arrival of Keiko were well supremely busy, and each moment was spent in work by Ethan as he had a lot to do. He heard the door and walked to it not knowing it was her arriving with her things. It wasn't bad timing though as he opened the door. he was wearing some old overalls and a old shirt under them. There was paint on his clothes as he looked at the young woman who he had to spend the rest of his life with. He had to try to be more positive, he was reminded a lot. He smiled politely, "Now, welcome Keiko, we have been doing a lot of fixing up the last few days or so. The walls were repainted this morning the appliances were upgraded. There were a couple of walls removed to enlarge the kitchen and the bathroom was redone," he explained as he walked in.

The work put into the place was obvious it was a beautiful apartment now, far more so then we they got it. It was suppose to be a starter place, but Ethan called in favors and did his own work to make it better. He figured that she would like that simple fact. "Now the bedroom is on the right side of the hall, there is a large closet that you can use and put your stuff in. I am sure that you will find room for what you need," he reasoned as he turned and pointed out other things, the kitchen which now had a bar like counter, the living room and that was about it, there was only so much one could do with this amount of space after all. The floor of the apartment was a new carpet which was comfortable when walking without shoes and durable as well.

"This is why father wanted me to move in before you, he didn't trust the place as being good enough you see and figured I would do what I did, he is a sharp old turtle," he said referring to his dad. "Now, if you have any questions be sure to ask, I just finished painting the last areas about a hour ago, and that was the kitchen," he explained before looking at the other two. "It is good to see you again gentlemen," he said reaching out to shake each of their hands. "I hope this place meets your expectations, I am sure it wouldn't of when I started working. I have worked out my time of working so that if Keiko needs a ride to her classes in the morning I should be able to give her one."

Back
Top Bottom