Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Devil's Dance [ Bear & Jacob.Johnson.28 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeyThereLittleBear

Before the world had understood science, it understood magic. And from the very beginning, magic had been what ruled the world. It brought rain to the deserts and influenced kings and servants alike. Magic brought great kingdoms to rise and fall, and influenced great political decisions. With the rise of science, magic was temporarily forgotten, pushed to the sidelines as man learned in leaps and bounds. They conquered the land and soon took to the seas, the last great venture being to conquer the skies. It wasn’t until science started to reveal its shortcomings that magic started to resurface.

It didn’t take long for magic’s hold to swiftly regain its footing from all the lost years, turning into a trade that was just as profitable as any. But with its great resurgence came grave consequences to ignoring it for so many years. It was so much easier for a man to learn his trade in dark magic, as it was much easier to learn to enchant things poorly than to take the long way around. White magic, with all of the good it could do the world, was practiced by so few.

And it was because of that fact that so few trusted the magic dealers, though their spells and enchantments were things to be in awe of. They sold rings that could accurately predict your death and scrolls that could summon and demoness for a night, and even sold the occasional crystal ball to accurately predict a small amount of your (possible) future for up to a fortnight. They were miracles of modern magic, while cars were miracles of modern science, and people were just as in awe of them as they were when magic ruled supreme.

It was the promise of all that magic could do that made the young woman find herself in the small shop of wonders, her eyes large as she took in all of the oddities that surrounded her. For a good majority of her life, she had played everything safe. Her parents had laid out strict rules for her and had guided her to believe that magic was a thing of evil, and would curse her for all of eternity. They had raised her in the world of science and had encouraged her to find happiness in the mechanics of the world, to learn and study all that it had for her.

But mechanics didn’t fill her empty bed and mechanics didn’t stir her emotions in the way that all of the dealers promised they would. The shop had a small array of love spells and potions against the back wall that was decorated with enough frills and lace to make one sick. The salesman looked to be an honest man, his hair combed neatly against his head and his eyes a clear blue, a smile forever plastered on his lips. He watched her from afar as she perused the small selection, feigning interest in something across the aisle as she eyed a small potion.

He approached as she hesitantly moved towards the potion, pulling her hand back at the last second. “Oh, don’t worry. I can assure you that we hold our customer’s privacy before all else. I can… Explain these all to you, if you’d like?” He motioned towards the love potions and spells, and of course the rings that would find true love. She was hesitant, but she offered him a shy smile, her eyes moving towards the floor. “I, uh,” She played with her hands in front of her body and then her hair, not sure of how to explain herself to this stranger, “I would like that.”

She didn’t need to explain herself to him. He didn’t have to know the ins and outs of her failed love life. It had been a messy affair, from blind dates arranged by her friends to online dating that had ended in only disaster. She had ‘played the field’ since she was a young teen, but it seemed that love wasn’t in the cards for her. And she wanted it so desperately, dreamed of the fantasy life that she could have with a husband to love and a man that wanted nothing more than to live his life with her. Just them for ever and ever, amen.

Alicia pressed her lips together as the man explained the bits and pieces to her with the most gentle of tones, picking up several of the items to show them how they worked. He was an honest enough seeming man, though she could tell that he was well practiced in the art of the trade. As they came to the rings, he offered one out, a simple ring that was cut princess-style and set in white gold. The stone in it was a soft pink in color - a true pink diamond, he assured - and was as clear as the sky outside. Her fingers moved over the smooth metal softly, entranced by the beauty of the craftsmanship.

It was such a lovely piece, and if it truly worked it would be the perfect thing for her. It didn’t generate false love like potions, it merely led you to the situation in which true love could be formed. The salesman smiled as he took her hand in his own, his tanned skin so deep in contrast to her porcelain flesh. He slid it onto her finger slowly, admiring the way the jewelry looked on her finger. “It suits you, if I may be so bold.” He said, running his thumb over her knuckles slowly. She felt her cheeks grow hot as he lifted her hand up, motioning towards a small dark pink piece that rose from the stone. It was a heart, the point at the end swirling slowly until it came to be fixed on one particular direction.

“That heart tells you the direction you need to head. The larger it becomes, the closer you are to your true love… And I will not lie, that is the… Largest I have ever seen it before. You must be so close to love. So close you can almost taste it, can’t you?” Her eyes were transfixed on the small heart, feeling her own heart racing in her chest. Even though he was practiced in his words, she could feel them ring so true in her chest. “You’re right. I am so close.” She closed her hand around his, feeling a small weight in her belly. “I want to… To buy it.”

The purchase was made in a matter of minutes, the girl signing away all of her life savings in such a short amount of time. But it would be worth it, she was sure, so very worth it to have love at last. She could win her money back, but there was no better time for her to find her love.

She set out immediately on her quest, letting it take her down roads that she didn’t know and up alleyways that were full of strangers. She watched with excitement as the heart grew larger, starting to throb slowly as she grew ever closer. Just another alleyway and she would find him, she was sure. As she turned the corner, she felt something - a punch to the chest that made her breath exhale and her eyes go wide. Without understanding, she found herself falling down to her knees, then down onto her side.

Her eyesight was fading as she found herself gasping for air, not comprehending. She heard him then, a deep voice from down the road - “Oh my god! Someone, call the cops. This girl has been shot!” He called out to the crowd that was staring at her, watching as she bled out in the streets. Out of all the onlookers, he was the only one that stopped to help her, getting on his knees by her head. He cupped her head in his hands, running his fingers through her hair. “Shh, you’re going to be okay. We have an ambulance coming. everything is going to be…” She couldn’t catch his last word, her eyes were too heavy.

And even as it stopped beating, her heart felt so full of him.

The girl’s eyes opened once again in a new place, the world full of light and people. They were staring at her, a council of men and women alike. Their faces were neutral but their lips grim. Before her, sat a set of scales, one side quite heavier than the other. “We regret to inform you,” The leader of them spoke, his voice gravely and monotone, “That your sins outweigh your deeds. Your soul is heavy with black magic. You will begin your descent. Farewell, Alicia Spinner. May Satan have mercy.”

And again, the world was black.

Spencer read his assignment...and then rolled his eyes in disgust. A girl, led by "the promise of true love" found herself on the business end of a random bullet. Though, the details around who fired the shot were vague. The council had already made their ruling, there was no hope for the young woman. He thought about it honestly...and realized there were worse ways to die, to find the end of your time had come. His particular favorite involved magically trying to turn a cucumber into a giant phallus. THAT ruling didn't take nearly as long, and she has been appropriately punished for her transgressions. Continues to be, at least. This girl, though. She will have a special...treat, waiting for her. A special sort of hell designed specifically for her.

He himself was an interesting case. Satan's own little project. Saved from his own damnation, a pawn in others'. Enhanced and warped by his darkness, he was a completely different being than what others might realize. He was placed so that strong-willed souls still found themselves damned in their realities in hell. He was a manager, a maintenance worker. He made sure they were directed to their worst designs. This girl, though. Alicia. She was going to be a bother. A minor annoyance. After finishing his missive, he waved it away and prepared for her arrival. Prepared for his 'roll of a lifetime,' he liked to call it. He didn't love his job, but no one did here. No one loved being here. But it was the lesser evil of his fates, and he embraced that, to keep himself afloat.

He sat down, changing his appearance, his clothing, to match that of his older self. His human self, when he was still a normal soul, a bit of a parting gift from Satan. And he waited.

Light filtered hazy through the mists that coalesced around her, eyes peeking open as she lifted her head out of the dirt that was ground into her face and sticking to the saliva leaking out of the corner of her mouth. Her hands were slow to wipe it away, a low groan coming from deep in her chest as she pushed herself off the sands of this... Place. Her memories were coming back to her in slow waves, her hands brushing her hair away from her face as she took a look around herself.

The beach that she was on spread in a large half-circle around a large lake, the water lapping just feet away as black as the sky that hung above her. They settled finally on the only other person in the sands, her brows knitting together as she fought to figure out the situation. He was handsome, her eyes roaming over the gentle face with scruff on his chin in a light beard down to his body, toned and beautiful. The memories of what happened came to her not anymore as small waves that washed gentle through her mind but a harsh one that moved over her harsh and unforgiving, drowning out her thoughts.

Her heart clenched hard in her chest and she felt the burn in her heart again of the shot that she'd taken, her hands clutching at her breast as she gasped, face falling back into the dirt. She writhed like that for a moment before the pain subsided, her body finally falling lax into it slow, head turning towards him as she spat sand from her mouth, "Wh-who are you?" She asked, laying in the sand like a kicked animal, whimpering as she curled up slowly.

He rolled his eyes internally again. Great, she's THAT kind of soul. The kind that...felt. That would hold on to their old lives like a child to a car door at the dentists office. This was going to take a long time. "Spencer, and welcome to hell." He took some sand and threw it into the water, the rippling causing the monsters within to writhe in agony and threaten the beings on the shoreline. "If you know what's good for you, you will get away from the edge." He didn't smile. Which, was true at any time, actually. He looked over at her. At least she wasn't so bad looking herself. At least the view around here would brighten for a little while, until she realized her future here. He looked up into the sky. At least it wasn't so...red. And fiery. Clouds obscured any real source of light, which wouldn't be natural down here anyway. The effect looked like it was some middle ground between dusk and dawn.

The man's face was gentle but she was coming to see it lacked emotion, her hand pushing herself up out of the sand and moving away from the rippling waters as she saw the way the creatures inside of it writhed and growled. Spikes rippled just above the surface not three feet away, black scales glittering as she watched it sink back below, the waters becoming smooth again almost instantly. She shuddered to think of what would thrive beneath the surface of a lake like that, her body pulling away from the shore slowly, leaving gouges in the sand before she managed to get herself onto her shaky and trembling feet.

"Hell." She repeated the word, brushing sand off her legs slowly as she looked around herself now. It wasn't like most people imagined with fire and screaming souls, but she also knew this was likely just the beginning of it all. "I don't belong here. I.." She brushed her hair away from her face and realized now that this was indeed hell, as she caught sight of something that looked nearly prehistoric flying overhead, a deafening shriek coming from it. "Jesus!" Alicia cowered away from it and shuddered, looking to Spencer for some sort of... Anything, really. "How are you so calm?"

He gave her a sardonic smile, laying back against the sand. "Once you have been here for...5, 6? Wow...600 years, you start to get used to the fact that you are never going to know happiness again. Calm, then, is inevitable. Hell really isn't so chaotic, it's just what you think your reaction should be to your surroundings. As to whether or not you belong here, the council doesn't make mistakes. You know how it is in prisons. At least, from what I remember. Everyone says they are innocent, that they don't belong in prison. Especially the ones who have committed the worse crimes." He took a deep breath. "This place is a manifestation of the worst that could happen in any reality to any soul. So the sooner you come to the realization that you are stuck here, the better off you will be." He closed his eyes then. He had laid the bait, he just needed her to bite. She was a bit more optimistic, he could feel it, than most souls that made it here. Besides, she had to go find her "true love," wherever he may be.

Alicia stared at the vast black lake as she listened to the man, her teeth chewing on her lower lip as she fought with the idea that she truly was guilty, though she knew in her heart that it wasn't so. Her arms crossed over her chest after a moment and her lips set in a hard line, teeth finally releasing her lower one. "No." She said, looking back at him, "You've been here for centuries. Surely you must know something about this place. There has to be a way out. I won't just accept this." She said, her arms hugging herself as another creature passed overhead, admittedly stepping closer towards him in way of seeking some form of protection. Her skin crawled and she let out a low shudder before straightening up proud again, "I... I would appreciate if you would come with me. But I understand if you're not willing to." Her voice said she was okay with it but her eyes were pleading, sorrowful even.

What a bother. But, definitely took the bait. Just as arrogant about always having a way out as any other poor soul that enters here. "Of course, there is always some form of hope, even in hell. It's what makes the misery here so much worse. If you could make it there, then you would be free. But, with all the trials ahead, no one thinks it's possible. And resign themselves to their fate." He got up and brushed himself off. "I could go for a jog, I could show you where it is. But, here's the thing. It's in the center of hell. In Satan's own abode. A way to reach back into the heavens and make your way up. Though, I'm telling you, it's a waste of time." He pointed to the creature in the sky. "As the demon flies, heading that way will put us in the right direction." He put his hands in his pocket and started walking, the mist around them keeping the visibility to a minimum. They would walk right by the lake, and beyond.

The man had quite obviously lost all of his will to fight for himself years ago, or perhaps he'd always been a cynic in life so that it followed him into death. Either way, she refused to let him damper her mood and make her feel like it was hopeless. She refused to believe that the world was without hope, even if it was the underworld. She followed him in their slow walk around the lake, her eyes looking out over the glass-still water as she thought about what it must have been like to be here for so long. It was like living forever, in a sense, but without all of the fun. "So," She said, uncomfortable with the silence as it seemed that Spencer had lost some of his social training from life, "What happened to your clothes?" She asked, as politely as she could as it was pretty obvious he'd been through something pretty awful. Her own clothing wasn't all that worse for wear, save for the hole where she'd been shot still in the materials of her blouse, letting the soft curve of her breast be visible through the cotton fabric.

He turned and looked at her, that same cynical smile on his face. "This, this is my reminder of when I departed. A spear through the side. Even for my time, that was pretty usunual. But, then again, that madman was clearly...troubled. It took several stabs before he stopped, and I was gone." He remembered it ruefully, and with a bit of glee when he found the man had finally made his way there several years later. THAT had been a fun hell to create. He pointed at her hole with his finger, pressing against her breast unintentionally. "This is a reminder of your fatal wound. What happened to you as you departed earth." He turned around and kept walking. "Try not to dwell on it. Changing clothes only makes the mark show back up." He illustrated this by grabbing a shirt he had found on the ground while they were walking. He took his off and put it on, only for the hole to instantly appear with an audible "rip" of the clothing. "See?"

A spear? He wasn't joking that he was centuries old, her brow furrowing just a bit as she examined the way that it looked, the scar on his body a constant reminder of what he'd been through. Her own shirt didn't look that bad but it was a grim reminder that she had lost the one thing she had longed for most in life. Her own stupid ambitions of a life of love was what had lead to her demise and she understood after a few moments of bitter rumination what exactly he meant when he said not to linger on it. She nodded, "That's probably best." She agreed, feeling a blush on her face as he touched her breast through the shirt, her eyes averting from him though she should have expected more than just a simple touch in a place such as hell. His demonstration of was enough to make her frown, staring at the world around them instead of the troubling thought of how the world worked here.

It was subtle, but it was a mind game to make someone constantly think of what it was that had killed them. "I guess I never thought Hell would be like this. People always talk about fire and endless torture, but never about the little things." She stared at the woods that they were approaching, looking at the branches and how they seemed to scrape the sky like daggers. "I suppose this won't be a leisurely walk through the woods, will it?"

He huffed. "Not likely. On your point, hell is not all fire and brimstone. It's the manifestation of worst nightmares and torturous imaginations. For some that actually is fire and brimstone. For others, it might be getting lost in the woods, in a wild that is...more alive than you think..." he smirked back at her as he stared at the edge of the woods. "Are you sure you want to do this? What's in there won't just let you pass without a payment. There is always one here." Always a cost, he thought. At the expense of his soul, he was able to bypass his own hell. He wondered what it would take to get through here. He had heard of these woods, but never actually passed through them. Whoever designed this path for her was definitely messed up a little. "I'm telling you, it's ok to give up. No one cares here, especially not me."

A personal Hell? Just what exactly would a Hell that was designed just for her entail? She frowned to herself as she tried to imagine her own worst nightmares brought to life, the horrors her mind had made as both a child and an adult. The woods would be a perfect place for most of her nightmares to come to life, her eyes moving over the trees that warmed around her slowly. These woods were so many unlike the ones on earth that grew dense slowly until even a path wasn't visible. These seemed to swallow you immediately, the trees already lingering too close for comfort.

"Spencer... What did you mean by... Payment?" She asked as she heard something moving in the shadows not so far away, a low rumbling growl coming slowly from the brush. Her skin came alive with goosebumps and she pressed closer to the man, though she hardly knew him from anyone else.

"Just...be quiet. And avoid anything off the main path." He shoved her away from him and continued on. She was...close...and she had looked to him for comfort. Or something. He was confused by it. He was the devil's errand boy, not some girly fantasy. Whatever. He marched into the grasses, straight onto a path not quite visible from the wasteland. He waved her on and kept walking. She would learn what he meant by payment soon enough. But he hoped that he would extract the payment, rather than have these animals at her. He wasn't comfortable with this part of the plan for her.

He walked on for a while, willing the creatures to hold back a while. He didn't want to have to get his hands dirty. After all, he was hoping this would be one of his last assignments for a while. He needed to recharge his energies, and hell had kept his task list long. The woods got darker and danker. He knew they would reach the swamp soon. Which was a whole other bag of worms. Yeah, bag, because that meant it would be even harder to control.

There was no comfort to be had in the proximity of his body as it seemed that he didn't want her anywhere near him. She felt her heart sink as he shoved her, another reminder that this wasn't just a casual stroll through the woods but rather an adventure into something far more dangerous than anything she'd ever imagined or dreamed of in her years on earth. Despite his frosty exterior, she did keep close to him as he lead the way down a path that was barely visible, obviously having walked down it many a time before. He was calm even as the forest started to get darker, the world seeming to close in on them as she hugged herself to defend against the creeping feeling that something was following them.

The brush moved to her left and she couldn't help but press further to the right, a low whimper escaping from her throat as she fought against the urge to scream, her hands clasping over her mouth as the creature from the brush moved again, loping slowly out of its hiding spot to join them on the path. It was a creature that she couldn't have imagined, a mixture of plant and animal. Its body was shaped like a panther but the head was replaced with a large and blossoming flower, teeth lining the gaping orifice. Despite his very clear stance on physical contact, she couldn't resist but to grasp his hand, "Spencer--" She didn't have time to finish her statement before the creature let out a noise that sounded like the shriek of a banshee, its petal-mouth spreading and looking every bit the nightmare she'd imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom