Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An Unexpected Romance [Xanatos and Sigr]

Sigr

Magenta Goon
Surrounded by small hills all around, most people there would say that Salem was cozy, warm or even snug, but for Michael it felt at least a little bit suffocating that morning. September was close to it's end, and with it rain clouds would arrive to enclosure the sky until June, although for his hunched posture and slow pace of walking, one would say that it was already raining on Michael's parade. The young boy wasn't so much of a downer most of the year, but the beginning of the first of the three high school years before him made the boy nervous. It wasn't like he was bulky or imposing, but his gentle demeanor and soft spoken tone always made his swimmer self look smaller.

"Chin up Mike!" a familiar female voice yelled behind him, prompting a brief smile on the boy. Even if he didn't stop nor looked behind, soon the owner of the voice came into view before him. Alex, God may have mercy on you if you called her Alexandra, had her usual nonchalant brand of wide smile on her face, her disposition as sunny as her blonde spiky short hair. She had always been and still was a tomboy, sharing his interest in swimming and track more than in traditionally girly endeavors, but in recent times her physique had been getting fuller, and now no one would mistake her for a boy like in the past. Her tank top and shorts were making use of the last warm weeks of the year and showed what looked a full body tan. Her figure skipped next to him, taking half a dozen unnecessary steps for each of his own, and soon she noticed something different on her childhood friend. "Ah! You have turned into a nerd! Where is my Mike?" she joked, seeing the glasses he was sporting.

"Hi Alex" Michael sighed, he knew it was coming, and it was true that the glasses gave the black haired demure boy a nerdy look, as long as the usual nerds had the body of a swimmer, but he didn't look like much dressed with the most boring shirt and slacks a man could find. "I'm having some trouble looking from afar, so I need these, at least for a while" he confessed. "The doctor said I have to wait to see how it evolves before getting any laser surgery done" added, sounding like he had the spiel ready.

"It will be fine" Alex said, believing it and ruffling Michael's hair, melting his pouty expression. "A new year is starting, we'll meet new people, new teachers, new everything! Here we are!" she was hectic, and already caught the eyes of a few students here and there as the duo arrived at their new school. Michael sighed once again, as they slowly reached their classroom, assigned beforehand. Reading the seating order on a piece of paper, he found his whole name, Michael Lynwood around the middle of the class, with once again like every time the seats where assigned alphabetically, Alexandra Maddox just behind him. Alex cringed a little bit at the sight of her full name, but it only lasted for a moment. In the middle of the class, the duo was certainly odd looking and caught a bit more of attention than they used to have. Alex seemed enraptured with every small detail of the place, while Michael looked around to their future classmates.

For reasons unknown to the Mayes family, the second puberty struck their son he became completely unapproachable. Not rude or violent, but distant and unresponsive. Even having distanced himself from friends at school. No one could reach the young Seth Mayes. Not his parents, not therapists, not teachers, not even his twin brother Austin. It was after the brothers finished junior high that Seth's therapists recommended something drastic. A move across the country. New surroundings, new friends, new teachers, and a separation from his childhood might be enough to shock the boy's system into restarting. At least, that was the theory and the Mayes were desperate to try anything to get their boy to open up again.

That September morning, as storm clouds gathered overhead, after a cheerful good by from their mother, the red-headed Mayes twins walked to school. Despite being twins, the two could certainly be told apart. Austin, who had taken to sports, namely swimming and basketball, boasted a more present physique as a result. His hair was cropped short and he wore a loose fitting tee-shirt and cargo shorts. Seth, on the other hand, had taken to reading and art. Both were more private interests that he could explore without friends and family. As a result, his physique was much slimmer, some might dare to say effeminate. He had begun to grow his hair out in junior high, resulting in the shoulder length mane he wore now. Seth's attire was a near form-fitting green v-neck shirt and a pair of snug fitting black jeans. Where Seth walked with a slouch, wearing his depression on his face, Austin walked tall and confident, always with some manner of smile in place.

"Excited about the new year?" Austin asked, looking over at his brother. The question produced only a shrug from the other boy. Despite how hard it was to get through to Seth, Austin never let his smile fade or gave up on trying to reach him. He was exceptionally protective of his twin and doubly concerned about his mental health in recent years. "Chin up. I'm sure you'll make friends in a flash." Seth didn't respond his eyes still glued to the ground as they walked. Austin sighed quietly rubbing the back of his head. "I know you've been going through a rough time and maybe its none of my business, but if you ever want to talk about what's eating you, I'm here you know?"

That particular sentence drew a more prominent response from Seth, but not the one Austin was hoping for. The glare he received was a bitter one, like simply by trying to pry deeper he had over-stepped his bounds. Austin stopped walking in surprise for only a moment before sighing again.

The two finally entered the classroom, Austin was all smiles as he looked around at the other students. Ever friendly, and quick to become popular, Austin knew he'd be fitting in with folks in a heartbeat. Seth on the other hand, kept his eyes downcast as he entered. The two found their places in the seating chart, moving back to the two empty seats placing them near where Alex was sitting. Seth was quick to fold his arms, sliding forward onto the desk to rest his head on them. Austin on the other hand, was quick to try to make friends. "Hey there!" He greeted happily, turning to face where Alex was sitting. "I'm Austin, grumpy over here is Seth." He said, nudging his brother beside him.

Seth looked up for a moment, muttering a near inaudible hello, and a half-hearted wave. It wasn't that Seth didn't want friends, he was just so emotionally defeated with no real idea how to take the right steps to correct it. He certainly didn't trust anyone to help him do so, not even his brother.

"Hey yourself!" Alex greeted with a wide smile, kneeling on her chair, rocking it slightly, facing the redhead twins. "I'm Alex, I didn't know that the bring your grump day was today!" she joked. "Luckily I have Mike always close by" she grabbed him by the arm, turning him towards the rest of them. "Mumble something friendly, Mike" she added like he was some kind of trained pet.

"Hi..." Mike greeted softly rising a hand and looking at them, as they certainly didn't go unnoticed. Redhead twins, and even at the first sight they seemed as different as Alex and him could look. Well, that was an overstatement of course, but while Austin looked athletic as both Alex and Mike did, his mood was closer to Seth's, at least on the surface he could see.

"Hmmm... hmmm..." Alex got up from the chair, buzzing around Austin, looking all over him. "Do you swim? You look like you swim. He looks like he swims, right Mike?" she asked, being hyper, noticing Austin's physique.

"I guess...?" Mike shrugged, not really looking at Austin. He was somewhat fascinated about how different Seth looked, despite being so similar, not to mention that he wanted to do the same as him and just take a nap then and there.

Austin simply beamed as his greeting was returned, chuckling as Alex joked. He returned Mike's wave only to crook an eyebrow as Alex orbited him. He watched her do her 360 around him before laughing again. He gave a nod as she spoke. "Yeah, I swim. Basketball too. I'm going to try for both teams this year. How about you, Mike?" He asked, looking back to the less enthusiastic of the two. He noticed that Mike was more closely watching Seth, and sized him up for only a minute as if gauging his intent. His brother had enough going on to have to also worry about bullies. Once satisfied he was harmless, he casually leaned back in his seat.

Seth only noticed Mike's glance for a moment, assuming that he had simply taken the opportunity to take stock of them. He brushed some of his long hair away from his face as he tried to at least look a little more invested in the interaction. If he could at least trick the faculty into thinking he was socializing, he might not have to deal with the councilors, he was already scheduled with a new and local therapist.

Austin reached over to tussle Seth's hair who quickly, with a nearly aggressive gesture pushed his hand away. The more outgoing of the two sighed for the third time that morning, turning his eyes back to the two other students. "You look like you might be a bit of an athlete yourself, Alex. You play any sports?" He asked, trying to continue the friendly conversation. If the four of them shared at least homeroom together, and Austin could befriend Mike and Alex, Seth might find he had accidentally made friends by proxy.

"I knew it!" Alex smiled triumphantly when Austin confirmed her suspicions and kept herself from hovering around Seth as well. It wasn't as Mike was super mopey, but she had experience leaving people who didn't want to be bothered just be.

Mike turned his attention to Austin, who seemed to be looking at him like he was a rival or something alike. "The truth is that I haven't decided... but I like to swim too" he understated. He wasn't really interested in competition, but to swim in the school pool you needed to be on the team, and once you were a part of the team, it seemed dishonest not to try his best, so Mike always ended up training a lot, at least until then. Austin seemed pleased with the answer, was he really sizing him up? With the question answered, Mike's curiosity returned to the silent Seth, trying not to stare now that he was looking at them. It was almost uncanny how similar and yet how different they were, but still brothers, looking by their back and forth interactions. Mike was an only child, but Alex served as sister most of their life.

Thinking of the devil, Austin's attention turned to Alex. "Just a bit?" Alex looked surprised, almost offended if it wasn't for her easygoing character. Oh boy, there we go, Mike turned livid. "I swim, and do all kinds of track. I'm thinking of picking a bike to do some triathlon" Alex said, looking strangely serious. Mike thought they avoided any big embarrassment, but the worse was still to come. "A bit? Really? Look at this" she said, grabbing her tank top and rising it below her underwear, showing her fit abdomen. At least this time she had enough sense to stop there. "Hard as steel, you can touch" she nodded.

"It's fine Alex, cover yourself before you end up in detention the first day" Mike warned with such a tone that it made it sound like a normal occurrence. "You could have flexed your arms instead" added.

"That came just afterwards, you spoilsport" Alex said, showing him her tongue with a smile.

Austin was certainly pleased with Mike's response. It would be cool to have a friend on the swim team if he did decide to sign up with him. He nearly recoiled as if concerned he had actually offended Alex. Though that worried expression was slowly replaced by a smile as she continued her rant insisting not only on her numerous physical activities but also insisted on hiking up her shirt to show off her physique. When she finally finished, prompted to do so by her friend, Austin laughed heartily waving it off with a shake of his head. "My mistake then. You're probably more active than me. Certainly more active than Seth 'Molasses' Mayes over here."

Seth didn't respond immediately, simply shifting his gaze to his brother. Austin gave him a reassuring smile and nodding towards the other two as if to encourage him to say something. "I read." He finally said, as if to counter the implication that he did nothing with his life. "Sometimes I draw." His gaze shifted back to Austin again, seeing if he was satisfied.

Austin gave him a small nod before turning back to the other two. "Ya know, Alex. I might have an extra bike if you're serious about the Triathalon stuff. I don't mind bringing it to school if you want it." It was simply in Austin's nature to be giving and generous where others might need help. Which is probably what made his relationship with Seth so frustrating. He turned back to Mike after a moment smiling genuinely. "We should hit the pool sometime. I bet we'd make a hell of a team."

Seth, realizing that there was no way he was going to nap with his brother's chatting, sat up again. He pulled a sketchbook from his bag, content instead to sketch. It was apparent he wasn't particularly concerned with his schoolwork.

Mike frowned for a moment, even if the brotherly nagging wasn't something that odd, even he and Alex had their moments, this one seemed pretty one directional. Something was bothering him, and it wasn't that, it just tied together with how mopey he was feeling that morning.

"Really?" Alex in turn was even more cheerful, happy about the freebie bike. "I've endured a waitress job during summer, but ended up earning so little..." she sighed. Mike doubted that as friendly and outgoing as she was, Alex was service industry material, but maybe he was wrong and her pay was even lousier than the norm. He knew that she had been working on a bar near the beach in Newport, but he had been busy helping his father in the construction job. "Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Alex briefly hugged Austin, nothing weird for her. "Then I'll be coming by bike, you lousy pedestrian" she mocked Mike, who lived way closer to the school than her, making it just a short walk.

Mike looked at Seth draw at his leisurely pace, while Austin talked about hitting the pool. "Yeah... I guess" Mike answered, without much enthusiasm, still undecided. "I like to swim, it feels nice, liberating. Competition, not so much" he added, almost a mumble. Was that it what it bothered him? Surrounded by the hills, trapped with his father, not able to even pay a visit to Alex and now he was going for the swim team. He was supposed to, it was what he did. Maybe he wanted to try something new, it was a new school year after all, was it swimming what defined him? "I'll think about it, maybe I'll try something else" Mike gave a vague answer.

Alex looked at him baffled. "But..." leaving her wordless was an achievement on its own.

"I'm not saying I won't do it, I just..." how could he voice it? That feeling of having his life already made for him? To turn himself into another version of his father? "It's just too soon, I haven't slept well" Mike fled from a confrontation, hiding into a convenient excuse.

Alex seemed to accept it, but she kept looking at him weird. Did he got a girlfriend while she was out? It wasn't her business, and yet it felt it was. Nah, that couldn't be it, maybe he was just tired.

Austin was happy to return Alex's hug no matter how unexpected it may have been. He smiled, laughing off her hyper offer of thanks. "Don't worry about it. I'm not using it anyway." He returned his attention to Mike when he spoke about possibly not swimming that year. He frowned for only a moment, detecting something beyond indecision in his words. His smile returned, nodding with his explanation. Even if he could detect there was more to it, he wasn't going to push a new friend on the subject. "Hey, you should do what makes you happy. If swimming competitively isn't your thing, then don't." He said with a shrug.

Seth's eyes occasionally returned to the others before falling to his sketchbook. For his part, he was studying their features, sketching the scene in as great of detail as he could manage.

Austin elected not to pester Seth anymore that morning. As much as he enjoyed the idle teasing and as much as he wanted to pull Seth out of his shell, he didn't want to push him too far. He opened his mouth to say something else to the others when class was called into session, the teacher taking their position at the head of the class. Austin, always the dutiful student was prepared to take notes, even if the first day was only to be an introduction to the subject material. Seth, on the other hand, never looked up from his sketchbook.

As class drew closer to the end, Seth paused to examine his work. The first semblance of a smile, albeit a sad one, tugged at his lips. Austin came around to his brother's desk, now that class was nearing its close. He looked over his shoulder at the work, smiling softly. "Hey that's pretty stellar, man." He looked back towards Alex and Mike for only a moment before looking again at the drawing. "Wow, it could be a photo, nice work." He examined it closer, his eyes narrowing some before pointing to the image. He looked around the classroom, before chewing his lip in thought. "Who's this supposed to be? I don't see her anywhere."

Seth closed the sketchbook at that, tucking it back into his bag. His smile vanished as he returned to his otherwise tiredly numb exterior. "Then maybe you're not paying enough attention." He said quietly. Austin recoiled slightly at his words. Seth stood up, slinging his bag over his shoulder. Brushing his hair back behind his shoulders with his hand. He gave Austin a brief glance, turning his gaze towards Mike and Alex. He looked to be planning to say something, but simply turned to leave, almost just as the bell rang.

Austin rubbed the back of his head as he watched his brother walk away. "Was it something I said?" He turned to face Mike and Alex again, his smiling returning though perhaps a little weaker. "What classes do you guys have next?" He asked curiously.

Austin and Alex let the topic fade, even if Mike's half assed explanation didn't satisfy anyone, himself included, the class was starting and nobody didn't want to be labeled as troublesome since the first day. Mike felt weird with the glasses, but after testing to remove them a couple times he was painfully aware that he needed them and was going to be stuck with those for a while. Even if ready, there wasn't much use for the notebook and pen he had, as it was the first class, and for a moment he wondered what was Seth drawing, and wished that he could draw as well, if only to distract himself.

Alex was bored as hell, as she paid as little attention as she usually did, instead daydreaming about how her new bike would be, how fast could she go. Well, at least the summer work was more than enough to pay for a helmet, she may be restless but not stupid. Not to mention that the fine was way more expensive than the helmet itself. With nothing to take notes with, she just sat there, with her hands on the pockets of the shorts. What was eating at Mike? They had known each other forever, and Alex fully knew that something was odd with him. Another fight with his father? No, that couldn't be. Well, there would be plenty of time later to pester him about it.

Once the class was over, Alex stretched like a lazy cat, while Mike sighed and removed his glasses for a moment, massaging the bridge of his nose. The exchange between the twins was blurred out, his eyes unable to focus, and it looked quite weird now with Seth's long hair, now that he wasn't resting his head on his arms. Mike got his glasses just in time to see Seth fidget and then leave. What was he drawing? A girl, for the conversation they had. Maybe he missed someone, but it was odd that his brother didn't know of her.

"Beats me" was all Alex answered to Austin's question, shrugging as she didn't have to go anywhere, turning to face Mike, shifting her weight from one feet to another, unable to stay still.

"Let me check" Mike rummaged through the papers he had. "That's odd" mumbled. "Alex, I think you have History now. Your mother gave me your schedule" he said, looking at it. She was proud of her daughter, how friendly and active she was, but considering her attention span she trusted Mike to give her a hand. "And I... ugh, Math" he grumbled. "Nobody likes Math" added with a sigh, packing his things. "Lets meet here after it, we only have a partial schedule today" he extended his eyes and therefore the invitation to Austin and even Seth, even if only his absence was there. "Don't pout, we have PE tomorrow" he said, looking at Alex again.

"Well, that's something I guess" Alex mumbled. "Will be seeing you later as you said. What do you have now? Same schedule as your brother?" she asked, more interested on others routine than her own.

Austin's eyes had returned to the direction that Seth had walked for a moment, clearly lost in thought. His eyes snapped back to the other two as his question was returned. "Yeah, we can meet up here after class." He reached into his pocket, producing his own schedule. "Seth and I share most of our classes, but not all of them." It had been pre-arranged, given the concerns regarding Seth's mental health, to make sure that Austin was close by as often as possible. He unfolded the paper reading it over, his brother's schedule was scribbled on the lower half so that he could keep track of him easier. "Well, that's strange. Hope it doesn't seem like we're tailing you. Seth is on his way to math now. Looks like I have history." He tucked the paper back into his pocket.

He was a little nervous about leaving Seth alone at all, but at the very least, Mike seemed trustworthy. He slung his bag over his shoulder, looking back at Alex and Mike. "Guess we ought to find our way before we're late, yeah?" He asked, looking towards Alex. He wasn't sure whether Mike liked him or not, but he felt like he'd at least hit it off with Alex. Having at least one new friend on the first day was a win as far as he was concerned. "Hey Mike. Do me a favor if you can. Just... Keep an eye on Seth for me? I'm not asking you to babysit him or anything, it's just... He's been in a bad way for a little while now and I don't know how he'll do on his own."

Meanwhile, Seth hadn't bothered to wait for the others and had begun tracking down his next class. He was one of the first to arrive for math, slumping back into his assigned seat, located near about the same place he was in the last class. Showing his disregard for schoolwork, yet again, he pulled out his sketchbook, resuming work on an older picture that wasn't finished yet. It was a portrait. The person depicted had features so similar to Austin and Seth that it could have been a sister, but much to Seth's chagrin, she wasn't real.

"There doesn't seem to be that many classes, so it's bound to happen" Mike said as Austin joked about looking like the brothers followed them. He seemed anxious about something, it could be some weird siblings thing that Mike didn't fully understand, but he seemed overly worried about his brother and how people looked at them. Mike was going to be with Seth in math, while Alex went with Austin to History, at least they already knew someone in class. Well, it wasn't as they really knew much, specially when it came to Seth, but it was already something.

"Well nobody is going to punish us for arriving late the first day" Alex said, her hands crossed behind her head, waiting. "There is no hurry, History is about things that already happened" she joked. Despite Austin's supposed urgency to find the history room, he was still there mulling something over and looking more to Mike than her. Alex frowned when Austin asked that of Mike, wondering what was wrong with Seth beyond a reserved demeanor. That made her think again of what was wrong with Mike, but that wasn't the time.

Mike was unhappy with the favor asked of him, and yet he couldn't quite point why. Seth seemed fine, at least in his eyes, just a bit withdrawn, something normal the first day. Even then, he didn't protest, realizing that if Austin asked such a thing there had to be something behind it. "No problem" Mike answered with a nod, "Maybe he will be friendlier with less noise around" he said.

"Did you look at me when you said noise? I'm sure that you were looking at me" Alex joked, even if she was aware that Mike wasn't entirely comfortable in general and with Austin in particular.

Maybe he was projecting his own desires of being left alone to think about where was he headed to, and it bothered him the constant intromissions of Austin in Seth's life. That was probably it, he needed time, not pressure nor people asking things about him. Without another word Mike just went towards the math class, flashing a weak smile before leaving. Seth was already there, so he didn't flee anywhere nor he did something weird, Mike didn't know what his brother expected that could happen. Passing by, he finally saw what he was drawing: A girl, that was it. Maybe that was the reason the brothers were a bit weird, if a girl had gotten in the middle of their relationship.

Not wanting to go ahead with the fiction that it was developing on his head, Mike just shook his head an sat at his place, next to Seth. He nodded at him when the redhead looked at him, but said nothing more. He was tempted to ask about the drawing, but that would probably be bad mannered. Sitting sideways, it wasn't like Mike was directly facing Seth, as he didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable, but he looked more available for any kind of talk that if he sat properly looking forward.

Austin could tell that his request had put Mike off a bit, but was glad when he agreed. He knew it wasn't exactly fair of him to ask it of someone he just met, but his concern for Seth outweighed his guilt. He ran a hand through his hair, returning the other boy's smile when he left the room. "Thanks, Mike!" He pocketed his hands, turning to face Alex again. With Seth taken care of, he could focus on getting to his next class. "To history, then?" He asked with a smile. As he stepped out into the hall, briefly verifying the direction to history, he elected to continue working to befriend the athletic girl. "So, you and Mike seem pretty close. I take it you two go back-a-ways?" He asked curiously. "He seems like a pretty cool guy." He could tell that Mike was uncomfortable around him, he could only hope that he could bridge that at some point and properly befriend the more withdrawn athlete.

"Seth seems to like you guys. He usually doesn't bother speaking to new people. Doesn't speak much in general, actually." He pocketed his hands as he walked, glancing over to Alex again. "Do you have any siblings?" His question was genuine, curious how much beyond athletics and energy he shared with the girl.

Seth had continued drawing diligently until he saw a shadow briefly overtake the paper. He looked up to see Mike nod towards him. He smiled. Albeit weakly and sadly, returning the gesture. He could tell that Mike was sitting in such a way to make speaking with him easier. Enough people had been trying to draw Seth out that he had seen all the approaches. Still, he didn't want to seem rude necessarily, especially if it were possible that Mike and Austin became friends. "I hope Austin wasn't too annoying this morning." He said faintly without looking up from the picture. "He means well." In truth, someone at least semi-familiar was enough to settle a lot of Seth's anxieties. His brother, despite being annoying had a calming effect on him. Even with Mike there, Seth's left hand quaked a little, a nervous tick he had developed.

Once satisfied, he signed the bottom corner of the picture. He examined it for a moment, smiling a touch wider. The picture depicting a cute and happy girl with curly hair. He turned the page over to a blank one. Seth glanced back towards Mike for only a couple of seconds, wondering about the withdrawn swimmer. Seth had spent enough time alone with his thoughts to know when someone else was also suffering in silence. He could see it in his behavior. Knowing how much he hated being pushed on his own struggles, he elected against bringing it up just yet. Slowly he began to work on a new sketch.

"We have known each other since we were little" Alex said. She was walking besides Austin, looking around at her knew school, and occasionally back at him. Unless she was somewhere known or focused in a physical task, Alex got distracted easily and it showed. "Oh, he's sweet" Alex added to Austin's remark, tilting her head a bit. It was odd for him worrying so much about Seth that he was asking about Mike so much, or was it something else? He sure seemed pretty interested on him being on the swimming team. "Too sweet for his own good, if you ask me" she shrugged. "Don't know what's got with him this morning, I haven't seen him all summer" Alex added, still bothered by Mike's behavior. Eh, he was going to end up talking with her sooner or later, if he didn't do it yet was because even he wasn't sure of what was going on, she knew that much.

"I noticed" Alex said when Austin, in a way that seemed unavoidable, ended up talking about Seth. "You two are so different..." she mumbled. "And yet you both are somewhat similar, I can't exactly put my finger on what's it" Alex ruffled her own hair, blonde spikes pointing everywhere. "Like..." she left her mouth open, but uttered no word. "I don't know yet how to phrase it" she jumped that train of thought before it derailed any further. "Nah, no siblings. Maybe that's why Mike and I stuck to each other like glue, even if I'm a few months older, he has been a big brother to me most of the time" Alex said, her eyes locked in the distance. "Now it's even worse with that glasses of his, they make him look so serious..." she smiled, stifling a laugh.

Mike looked at Seth sort of apologize for Austin's behavior, or more exactly for his general attitude. Mike noticed one of Seth's hands tremble for a moment, maybe he was sick or something and that's why Austin was all over him. "I don't have any siblings, Alex is the closest I have to a sister" Mike said. "So certain things escape my grasp. He did seem a bit annoying to me, but just because he was all over you" he confessed. He felt a bit at ease with Seth drawing close by, just listening. Maybe it was because he had just met him today and that allowed him to talk, like sharing your sorrows with a bartender. "It felt suffocating, but that's probably just me" he took his glasses off and started to clean them. "As you said, he means well. I just guess I met him on a bad day. Mine, not his" he conceded the point, it wasn't as he really know them after all.

Putting the glasses back he looked at Seth smile at his work, only to turn the page and start anew. It wasn't the prideful joy after a work well done that he so often saw in his father, nor Alex's tired and bright smile after pushing her own limits. It was something else, something wishful? Maybe his hunch had been right, maybe the pictured girl was wedged between the brothers. Mike turned his eyes to the pamphlets and schedules, not wanting Seth to catch him staring, but his attention was directed inwards. Maybe he could do that, maybe he could smile to the past without regret and turn a new page, but he would have to deal with the disappointment. Not Alex, as he knew that they both could count with each others support. But his father didn't raise a quitter, no sir. "I don't think I'm entering the swimming team" he confessed, still looking at the schedule as it was the most interesting thing in the world. Maybe that didn't mean much to Seth, after all he didn't know Mike, but it was a first step.

Austin listened carefully as Alex spoke about her and Mike's relationship. He wasn't quite as confident in his ability to read people, but even he could tell that something was bothering Mike. When Alex echoed that sentiment it made him feel better about his assessment. When she commented on the bizarre similarities between himself and Seth he laughed a little. "Yeah. I get that a lot, actually." He pocketed his hands as they walked, looking about as they drew closer to their class to make sure he was familiar with the layout. "I'm glad you two have one another in that respect. I can't imagine being an only child. Seth's pretty much my best friend." He grew solemn for only a second, remembering when Seth was more vocal and energetic. Similar to Alex's concern for Mike, he still found himself lingering in his thoughts about what exactly had caused Seth to withdraw from the world.

As he entered the classroom, he paused to find his place in the seating chart. He carefully slid into his seat, preparing his notebook and pen again. Much like homeroom, he wasn't super worried about having to use them on the first day, but it didn't hurt to be prepared. "I know it isn't really my place to say, but Mike didn't look crazy stoked about the swimming team. Maybe that's what's bugging him." It wasn't hard to imagine an overbearing parent in an athlete's life. Fortunately, Austin loved athletics, but Seth's lack of masculine activities or interests had certainly caused friction with their own father. Austin having become the clear favorite of the two.

Seth listened carefully as Mike spoke, still working on the new drawing. He glanced over to him when he spoke about Austin, nodding some when he talked about Austin hovering around him all the time. He wasn't wrong necessarily. Suffocating was the exact word that Seth would use to describe his life. But not because of Austin. It was his parents and the therapists, but not his brother. "He means well." He said, repeating himself. His hand still shook but it was something he'd gotten used to. "It's everyone else really. He makes it easier." Seth had come to rely on Austin as sort of a pillar of strength, even if he was occasionally annoying or overbearing.

He set his pencil down when Mike mentioned the swimming team. He had been observant of the conversation that morning. Alex's reaction to Mike's uncertainty established how big of a deal it was that he might not want to participate. He turned to face him, noticing that he was studying papers instead of looking at him. He simply watched him for a few moments, studying his behavior. It was familiar, probably because on some level, it mirrored him. "Is it your Dad?" He asked finally. "He wouldn't understand, right? Why you want something different? Why you're different?" His gaze fell to the paper, having all but screamed he was in a similar situation. He picked up the pencil, returning to the picture. "I'm sorry, it's none of my business." He went back to the image at hand. "If you don't want to swim you shouldn't. Would you really be more miserable after changing than you are now? It might get better." It was strange how easy to talk to Mike was. He'd found himself almost opening up to him twice in the same conversation. Maybe it just seemed like Mike would understand him.

"He will get over it" Alex nodded, as it was a given. Despite her trust, did she ever see Mike like that? Even when his mother died he was more vocal about it, but he was just ten years old then. "He can be too thoughtful at times, mulling over each little thing" Alex sat down in her place, straddling the chair backwards, leaning on the back. "I thought I was an expert on all things Mike, but now it has me worried. Not like, worried-worried, but not knowing what's going on with him is a pain in the ass. How I'm supposed to help him if I don't know what's wrong?" Alex sighed, letting her head rest on her arms, looking at Austin. He seemed to have a harder puzzle to crack with his brother, and being so similar it had to be frustrating. At least Alex and Mike were nothing alike.

"The swimming team thing seems more of a symptom than the sickness. The glasses aren't either. And if he had met someone over the summer I'd know. I always know" she mumbled. "Ah, teenagers! So complex, so difficult!" Alex whined, shaking her head. "Bah, I don't know why I worry" she threw her hands in the air. "He'll make up his mind about whatever is bothering him. Just needs time to think with that big brain of his" seeing the teacher come in, Alex started to sit more or less properly, or at least her restless version of it. "History is booooring" she whispered, finally sitting still.

Mike looked up when Seth talked what was probably for the longest time yet, and even if it was about Mike's trouble he was supposed to talk, there was a familiarity in there. "Don't be sorry, it's just fine" he kept looking at the supposedly meek boy, hearing him loud and clear without his brother close. "It's... nothing serious, really. The summer felt like it would never end, and now I feel like I'm back at square one" Mike leaving the papers on the table, freeing himself of distractions. "Go to school. Swim. Help dad. Go to school. Swim. Help dad..." he tilted his head like a metronome. "It's not as I don't like it, but every year gets more competitive, every fraction of a second counts, and that's the complete opposite of what I look for in swimming" he confessed, sighing.

"I think he will understand. My father, I mean. I know he loves me and means well, he tries his best and works hard" Mike took a deep breath. "I have to be decisive. Speak loud and clear" he looked decisive his eyes looking at the distance, then noticing the teacher barging in. "Thank you" he nodded towards Seth. For a moment Michael wanted to say that he could talk to him about whatever, that maybe he could help with the girl on the sketch? Who was he fooling, pushing Seth to talk haven't worked for his brother, it wouldn't work for him. Not to mention that he wasn't precisely an expert when it came to romantic endeavors, and his input he could have about Seth falling for the girl in the sketch would be puny at best.

Austin almost felt like he was looking in a mirror as Alex talked about wanting to help Mike but being unable to because she didn't know what was wrong, to begin with. He sure understood that sentiment. At the same time, he saw a bit of himself in her description of Mike's tendency to overthink everything. Austin dealt with overanalyzing things for sure. Typically his brother and Seth's bizarre and mostly silent numbness. He opened his mouth as if to say something in response when the teacher appeared. He leaned back in his seat, opting to let it wait. It wasn't terribly important anyway. As previous, he paid careful attention, making note of anything worth noting on the first day. He had to agree with Alex, history was incredibly boring but at least they shared that mutual boredom together.

As class winded down, he pushed himself up from his seat, stretching with an audible groan. He began repacking his bag, glancing over at Alex. "I think you're right about Mike. I think it'll all work out in the end. Wouldn't hurt to nudge him a bit on it, though. If you've been so close for so long, I'm sure he'd understand that you're just worried about him." He slung his bag over his shoulder, pocketing his hands. "You know, just in case it is serious. Seth shut down altogether a couple years ago. Mike seems like a nice guy, I'd hate to see that happen to him." Once satisfied that he was ready to go, he ran his hand through is hair with a sigh. He smiled a little in Alex's direction, nodding towards the door. "We should go find our grumps, I imagine."

Seth stopped drawing again, as Austin said that he just had to be decisive and clear. It was like a switch flipped inside of him. Could he do that? Just say, to hell with the consequences, and go for it? He didn't know if he had the courage to even think about something like that. At Austin's word of thanks, he looked back over at the other boy, giving him a small nod in affirmation. If anything, he felt like he owed him thanks. In trying to help Mike solve his own issue, he may have discovered the solution to his own problem. He turned the page back in his sketchbook to study the earlier drawing of the girl again. He didn't smile this time. If anything he stared at it in almost fearful anticipation. He then turned to another page, not finishing the one he'd started at the beginning of class, and began anew. He spent the duration of class on the new sketch. It beginning to take the form of a young boy staring through a window, or perhaps a mirror, at the girl pictured before.

As class ended, he packed away the sketchbook, standing from his desk. He moved to wordlessly leave, almost reaching the door when he realized he had no earthly idea where he was supposed to go. He hadn't been involved with the plan to meet up, and had no idea where Austin's class was. Even more so, facing Austin after storming off would be difficult for him. He already felt bad for basically snapping at him in homeroom. He turned to face Mike, sighing softly. "I don't suppose you know where Austin went, do you?" He asked softly, his hands clutching his bag strap as his gaze fell to the floor.

Alex endured the mind numbing barrage that the class was to her, eager to go outside, to move. She fidgeted and shifted posture often, being bored in class was the worst thing ever when something irked you, as you had way too much time to think about it, to mull it over. It wasn't like Mike had ever been a mysterious boy, but his habit of being gentle and soft spoken made him leave things unsaid, wary of what others could feel, the chance of his words hurting people. It wasn't dishonest, but sometimes it could be infuriating, at least to Alex, who tended to be way more straightforward with her ideas.

The class was finally over, causing a huge relief sigh to come out of Alex, prompting a couple of head turns of other students, but her attention was towards Austin, his stretching causing a smile. "It was that bad, eh?" Alex voiced, more of a confirmation than a question. "Oh, sure, I'm sure he knows I'm worried, or will know soon enough, it's not like I hide anything from him" she shook her head. "Another thing is if my worries do anything else but add to the problem" Alex got up from her chair with a small jump. "Sounds awful. He didn't look that bad to me, but on a daily basis... shows what I know, I guess" she said honestly, when Austin talked about Seth. Looking at Austin's smile, she wondered how he was doing. They talked about Seth, about Mike and about Alex's reaction to Mike's recent issues, but Austin didn't say much about himself. Being his brother's keeper couldn't be easy, nor grateful. "Yeah, lets catch up with them" she just nodded, walking side by side.

In the silent moments of the math class, Mike could hear Seth's restless pencil, outlining yet another drawing in his sketchbook. Would be he drawing her again? Who was she and what was her relation to the brothers? Mike didn't nor couldn't know, turning his awareness inwards. He wasn't a swimmer. He wasn't a worker for his father. If not that, who was he beyond being a student? Of course, he didn't really expect to find a calling just like that, thinking about it during math class, but any claims he did before his father would be stronger the more solid the idea behind that change was. He couldn't really say to him that he was going to quit swimming to do whatever, lazying up wouldn't be allowed.

With his mind shifting between what could be Seth's issue and what could he do made the class feel shorter, and amounted to an enormous pile of discarded options on both sides of his worries. Mike slowly got ready to move on, noticing that Seth was already almost gone without a word. Was their talk just before class that awkward? Maybe he scared him away with his troubles. Luckily for him, it was Seth the one that turned around and talked to him, even if it was to ask about his brother. "Oh yeah sorry" Mike remembered that Seth wasn't there. "We actually planned to meet in front of the class, lets go" Mike soon was at Seth's side, walking back to their homeroom. Their hair and active demeanor made easy to notice Austin and Alex even in the distance, specially when Alex saw them and waved.

The encounter felt a bit awkward, but the silence didn't last long. "Mike, I'm hungry, feeeeeed meeee" Alex whined, grabbing to his arm. The girl eating at his house was nothing unusual, and now that the high school was so close to his home he noticed that it could start to become a habit. Lunch time was in fact approaching, even if Alex's demands for food were exaggerated to say the least.

"I missed that" Mike smiled and shook her away from his arm. "Fine, fine, I'll cook for you" he said, causing Alex's eyes to brighten. "My house it's like ten minutes away on a walk, you two are more than welcome to come and eat with us" Mike offered looking at the brothers. "It would be my pleasure" he nodded earnestly at Seth, looking seemingly eager to have them come.

"Just call home and say you'll be eating at a friends house" Alex shrugged, telling Austin that without giving it importance. She came and went as she pleased, but after talking with Austin she had the vibe that their parents were the kind that wanted to know where the brothers were. "He's good, I promise" Alex added, eager to eat at his friends' and happy to see him smile.

Austin walked along side Alex as they headed back towards homeroom. His thoughts returned to the sketch that Seth had gotten so defensive about. He wondered if it were possible that Seth had met someone before they moved and by pulling him away from her they managed to push him further away. He shook his head at his own line of thought. It seemed wildly unlikely that Seth would meet anyone, especially not in the condition he was in before they moved. He decided it was best to probably just let it go. He didn't want to risk pushing Seth away by bringing it up again. Instead, he was perfectly content to idly chat with Alex as they made their way back. His smile spread a little when he saw the others, raising his hand to wave, albeit less energetically than Alex.

Seth had walked beside Mike but said nothing. He was grateful to him for his company, and certainly felt more at ease with someone familiar nearby, but that didn't mean that he was suddenly a sparkling conversationalist. He was glad that he was able to help Mike work through some of his own struggles, but now he had his own thoughts to worry about. His gaze remained glued to the floor as they walked, thinking about how to actually take that first step. He owed it to Austin to tell him first, but how? Would he understand? Would he care? Would he still be so protective and supportive? What about their new friends? He got the feeling that Mike would be more receptive, but he didn't know enough about Alex to say that he trusted her. He sighed audibly, clutching a little tighter to his bag strap.

When they finally met up with Austin and Alex, Seth finally looked up. Austin smiled a little wider, glad to see that Seth was doing alright, or at least, not worse than he'd last saw him. He patted his shoulder gently. "Hey you, how was class?" He asked, returning his hand to his pockets.

"It was fine." He offered a brief glance towards Mike before looking back towards Austin. "Listen, Austin. I..." He stopped himself when he heard the invitation to come to lunch. He looked from Mike and Alex to his brother, who was already pulling out his cellphone.

"That sounds awesome! Thanks man!" Austin replied thankfully when Mike had invited them. He'd noticed that the invitation was offered more to Seth than himself which made him smile a little. He hoped that Mike had been able to reach him on some level, even if he was also a little envious that it wasn't him that finally broke that shell. He brought his phone to his ear, turning away from the group. "Hey, Mom... No everything's fine... Yeah, Seth's right here, he's fine... Mom, he's fine. Look, we're going over to a friend's place for lunch... Don't worry Mom, everything will be fine... Yep, love you too. Buh-bye." He sighed as he hung up the phone, returning his attention to the others. "Alright, we're good to go!" He blinked a couple times before looking back to Seth. "You were going to say something, yeah? What's up?"

"It's not important. It can wait." Seth mumbled quietly as his gaze fell again. The brief interruption had caused him to lose whatever nerve he had gathered. "Thanks for inviting us for lunch." He said softly to Mike, still not looking up.

Austin's voice on the phone sounded distant, and Mike felt a little more upbeat and at the same time somewhat of an oaf, by stepping into Seth's and Austin's lives with his invitation and the compliancy with Alex's wishes. It was a harmless enough proposal, but he had the feeling that he had intruded into something important. Austin's enthusiasm sure echoed Alex's own display of joy, making him feel happy and responsible at the same time. "Hm" Mike did little more than nodding when Seth thanked him, even if he was looking down yet again.

"Oh, you'll see!" Alex started to talk, more for Austin than for Seth, as she didn't want to bother the quiet guy, but the truth was that any bystander could hear her talk. "He's so good! I always pester him to cook for me! You guys are lucky!" she kept talking, making Mike smile, but also feel a little bit embarrassed.

"It seems I have my own hype woman..." Mike mumbled. "I'm the one doing the cooking at home, so practice goes a long way" he added, not explaining much about their home being just him and his father since long ago. The four of them walked without a hurry in the world, the early and confusing school life developing around them, with its hectic students going everywhere, all of them with their own troubled lives.

The way home was pleasant for Mike, since he felt comfort coming back there, not as much as for returning to what he knew away from a new school, but mostly because he was about to do something he liked for his friends, old and new. For Alex it was just plain exciting, chatting with Austin about past dishes she ate in Mike's house, returning to her friend's house after a summer away from each other. In the end it felt like a welcoming return home for both of them, even if it was for different reasons.

Mike's house was humble, but looked in perfect shape, without trace of peeled paint on the fence, no nail out of place, and there was no floor board that even creaked a little. For Mike's father his honest job as a constructor was a source of pride, as he always said that he didn't made houses, he built homes, and that started with his own. Mike had learned the appreciation for a job well done, for the rewards of effort, and he was more alike him that he'd admit or even notice. The only trace Mike's mother were the photos of a young woman scattered around, most of the time with a younger Mike's father and himself as a small kid. The house was barely adorned beyond that, but one could see swimming trophies here and there.

"Get yourselves comfortable" Mike gestured towards the living room, the furniture old but clean, giving it a lived sense, a homely feeling. Alex took the phrase as only a childhood friend could, already sinking in her favorite spot on the corner of the couch, sighing of comfort. "Is there anything in particular you may dislike? Any allergies?" Mike asked with a gentle smile, looking at the brothers. Anything wrong they may have noticed on him, any doubt or struggle, may not be gone, but looked so faded that almost seemed like they were meeting Mike for the first time.

Austin seemed a little frustrated by Seth's decision to bail on whatever it was that he was going to say. That frustration was mostly inward, though. He had prioritized calling their mother over communicating with his brother. He most certainly should have paused everything to hear what Seth had to say. After silently scolding himself, he managed to brighten up again, excited about spending the afternoon with their new friends. Even still, his thoughts would drift back to Seth and what he was going to say. It sounded like it was important, and then he backed out. He knew better than to push him on it, but it was still frustrating. At the same time, it was better than he'd been in a while. He was starting to wonder if the move had done its job and was beginning to draw Seth out of his shell. Then again, it might have been Mike's doing. Another point for which Austin would have to be grateful to the other boy.

Seth remained silent as they made their way to Mike's house, his gaze was locked on the ground in front of them as they walked. Austin was more than happy to chat idly with Alex as she spoke about other meals that Mike had prepared. Every once in a while Seth would look back to Mike, curiously. He could see his mood lightening as they drew closer to his home. When the finally arrived, Austin was more than happy to take a seat on the couch. Seth stood awkwardly for a few minutes, still not quite comfortable in the alien surroundings.

He turned around to face Mike when he asked about food, shaking his head slowly. "Not really." He couldn't help the faintest of smiles that appeared on his face when he saw how much more lively and happy Mike was. He was glad to see that his struggles weren't a constant point of suffering for him.

Austin shrugged. "Like he said, we're not especially picky. No allergies that I can think of." He saw the small smile that had appeared on his brother's face, which made his own widen some. He couldn't tell if he was simply feeling more comfortable or if he'd finally started letting someone else in. Even if it wasn't himself, he could be happy about that.

Seth finally allowed himself settle into a chair, pulling his sketchbook back out. He resumed work on the sketch he had started in Math. Austin turned his attention back to Alex, smiling again. "So, athletics obviously. But, what other stuff do you guys do for fun?"

"Perfect then" Mike clapped, disappearing into the house, headed for the kitchen. He always made sure of having a wide array of ingredients at hand, and since he was the one doing the groceries, he usually preferred going for local, seasonal produce. Whistling without even noticing, he started to work on a couple of dishes that he thought perfect for the day.

In the meantime, Austin was asking Alex about what they did for fun. "Nothing weird I guess, we both like movies, so it's not odd that we end up on the movie theater quite often" she said, slightly tilting her head. "But choosing the movie is always a struggle. He likes action flicks, horror movies and sometimes romantic ones. I prefer dramas, comedy and science fiction so... we end up taking turns to pick" Alex commented. "We like the beach, but without a driving license is a bit of a pain, and the weather is going to turn awful soon" she frowned, not specially happy about the summer they just had. Picking a job was almost an afterthought when she learned that Mike was going to be so busy, and even if it allowed her to be on the beach, it just wasn't the same. "Mostly normal things, going out, movies, shopping... oh, we are in high school now" Alex said as she just realized it, opening her eyes wide. "Doesn't that mean that we'll be going to parties and such? The idea it's a bit weird on its own..." she commented, mulling about it.

Absorbed by the cooking, Mike didn't think of anything else. He just moved around the kitchen tending at several things at once, it wasn't anything complicated, but since he could manage many parts of the dishes at once he could get things ready a bit faster. Soon a couple things were ready, and even if the main course was going to take a bit longer, it could get done while they started. "Alex! Table!" Mike shouted out of habit, as it was the usual fare in his house.

Hearing the usual command to set the table, Alex almost jumped off the couch. "Time to set the table. I can handle it, I know where everything is, but it also means that the food is ready" she informed, guiding the brothers to the kitchen. The place was as old and well kept as the rest of the house, the somewhat dated look of it giving the place a quaint and homely feeling. A square table that was spacious for the four of them was close by, and it seemed to be the usual dinning room for Mike's family, as Alex soon started to lay cutlery, napkins and glasses around the table. "Water? Orange juice?" Alex asked peeking into the fridge.

"She's asking what do you want to drink" Mike translated, smiling and clad in a white apron. "There is coke too" he added. "Sit down wherever you want" he indicated, returning to his multiple tasks. There was a lingering sweet aroma in the air, but it was somewhat hard to identify as it was faint and mixed with other smells. "Some spiced goat cheese" Mike set a plate with sliced cheese in the middle, "in case you want something rich, I know Alex does" he smiled when the girl giggled. "But the first dish is a seasonal pea salad. Despite the incoming rain clouds is still a bit warm, and I though something refreshing would be welcome" Mike added, carefully putting a plate in front of each of his guests. It was a mostly green picture, with some white lettuce adding a bit of crunch to it, roasted squash seeds adding a bit of depth and hints of mint and lemon in the dressing. Mike didn't say a thing, but it was pretty clear in his face that he was awaiting for them to say if they liked it or not.

For the twins, the time between Mike leaving and the meal being ready passed at different speeds. Austin, consumed by his conversation with Alex, felt the time go by quickly. Seth, working on his sketch and entirely occupied with his thoughts felt the time pass very slowly. Not that he was impatient, by any stretch. He could not have been more grateful to Mike for his hospitality.

Austin was also a little struck by how their social lives and activities would change in high school, as if the true weight of it had only just dawned on him. There would be things like house parties and dances. He knew that athletes often found themselves invited to both, but he worried about where the pressures and expectations of high school would leave his less outgoing brother. Thinking about the other things Alex had said, it did make him smile a little. The idea of going to the beach next summer with their new friends, or maybe getting together to see a movie, it all sounded like a lot of fun. He glanced over at Seth for a moment, who was completely absorbed by his sketchbook. He gave a small sigh. Seth was never one to go out. He didn't suspect that his brother would be even a little interested in going out with the rest of them.

He was going to respond to what Alex had said before he heard Mike call out from the other room. He looked confused for only a second before Alex translated for Mike. He stood up right after she did, giving a quick nod. "Sounds great! Let's eat." He walked over to his brother, giving him a light pat on the shoulder, jarring him out of his thoughts to glance up at his brother in surprise. "Come on, man. Foods on." Seth gave a silent nod, setting the sketchbook down and following after the others.

As they took their seats at the table, both brothers could tell that the dishes presented to them were only a first course, which was quite surprising. "Coke works for me, thanks!" Austin looked up at Mike with a cheerful smile as he slipped into the seat beside his brother. "Thanks again, man. This looks great!" He collected his fork, examining the dish curiously before beginning to eat. Almost immediately he brought his hand up to cover his mouth in surprise, smiling widely as she finished eating and swallowed. "That's incredible!" He exclaimed excitedly. "Seth, have you tried..." He looked over at his brother to find Seth quietly eating, not looking up from the plate. Once again consumed by his thoughts.

Feeling eyes on him, Seth looked up towards Austin, then to Alex, and finally setting his gaze on Mike. Suddenly his face grew bright red in embarrassment. "Uh... Um..." He swallowed back his embarrassment as best as he could. "Thank you. It's quite good." He said quickly but quietly.

Alex helped getting the drinks on the table, including a can of coke for Austin and a couple pitchers, one with water and the other with orange juice. She was soon eating, making appreciative sounds with her mouth busy. "I almost missed this as much as you" she said with a smile when she took the first bite. "Good job, you make difficult returning home and eating there, are you sure you don't need a sister?" she joked, seemingly a running gag between them seeing Mike's warm but unsurprised smile.

Mike's eyes turned to the twins, as it seemed that his cooking had new and very different fans. He looked at Seth, eating absentmindedly when Austin's enthusiasm made his attention shift. "Thank you" Mike nodded, happy that his food had found interest in the newcomers. Mike tasted his own food, while Austin was busy awaking Seth from his distant self. It was sort of cute how Seth's face threatened to catch up with his hair in hue, even if the situation was pretty relaxed. "Thank you, maybe too much mint? I wanted to make it fresh and maybe went too far. The roasted seeds are better than expected though" he commented on his recipe instead of Seth's distraction, not wanting to make it worse, as he was thinking about how to improve the recipe and at the same time showing that it was the first time he made it.

"I think it's fine, for someone who has lived here her whole life, this sort of tastes like home" Alex commented, used to see local ingredients on Mike's cooking. "Maybe it fits a warmer day than today, summer is ending" it was just a fact, and Alex paid no mind about it, but the idea itself was a bit depressing. Not like this summer had been any good, but few people liked the rain replacing the sun. "I'm almost afraid to ask what do you have in the oven" she added.

"Ah, you'll see" was all he said with a smirk. "I'm glad you both like it" he said to the twins. Mike oddly sighed, reaching a decision. "I have to tell my father yet, but I won't be swimming this year" he said, almost out of nowhere but for Seth, who had talked with him more that same morning. "It's a pity since for the first time I'd have a friend on the team, but we'll have to meet outside the pool" he said, looking to Austin. His eyes drifted to Seth, thankful for the push forward, then to Alex, wanting to see how she'd react.

"I've got your back, but you didn't say why" Alex was oddly serious, worried about the reasons behind it,

"I won't be able to swim without competing, and I don't want to turn swimming into that" Mike started. "That and the feeling that I'm trapped doing the same things over and over just because I'm supposed to" he added, looking at her.

"Well, that's where we are different, I love competition" Alex shrugged. "It's fine, but your father isn't going to be happy if you quit just like that. What are you going to do instead of swimming?" she asked.

"I... I don't know" Mike realized that the first course was almost over, and went to the oven, getting the main ready. A sweet and rich aroma invaded the kitchen, while he readied the dish to serve. He soon returned to the table, presenting a long platter with pork in a crimson tinted sauce. "Pork sirloin with plums in red wine sauce" he explained, feeling a bit defeated ending in the same place as before. He knew what he didn't want to do, but not what he wanted to do.

Seth for one was thankful that Mike had either not noticed or not called him out on becoming so flustered so easily. His brother noticed, though, and his interest was clearly piqued. He had never seen his brother blush like that around anyone, it was adorable to say the least. Austin was growing fond of watching the two together. Even if they'd only met a few short hours ago, Mike was already starting to draw Seth out. Sure, a lingering envy sat in the back of his mind. Seeing as it was Mike and not himself to do so, but Seth being healthy and happy was much more important that why he was healthy and happy.

Austin looked back to Mike when he commented on the recipe. "Well as someone who didn't grow up around here, I can safely say that it's amazing. It's like a little teaser into the local culture." He chuckled a bit, leaning back in his chair. His smile slowly vanished as Mike spoke about not swimming that year. Not because he was disappointed, but he recognized that it was a hard decision to come to. Even more so when he got to the root of the problem. He didn't like the constant routine with no point or end and he didn't like the competition. He smiled again giving a nod. "Hey man, don't worry about it. We'll have plenty of time to hang out other than swimming. You've got to do right by you. To hell with what anyone else thinks."

Seth had looked up from his plate. He didn't smile or say anything for that matter when Mike brought up swimming. Even as Mike had gone to the oven to collect the next course and set it in the center of the table. He remained frozen, staring at Mike while everyone else worked on serving themselves. When Mike did return to his seat, Seth, almost without thinking, reached across the table. He placed his hand on top of Mike's squeezing it softly. When he realized what he'd done, especially in the circumstances, he withdrew his hand quickly, his face growing brighter. He quickly set about fixing his own plate. His gaze glued to it as he finally began to eat.

Once again, Austin was quick to pick up on the strange behaviors coming from Seth. This time, the physical contact, followed by a blush, and his hurried efforts to distract himself. A knowing smile spread across his lips. Was Seth crushing on Mike? It was an unbelievably adorable concept. Especially for Austin who wanted so bad for his brother to be happy.

Austin just as before was more than happy to dig in. "Oh man... Alex, how do you ever let your parents cook for you. Mike's amazing!" He said with a laugh, trying to distract from the otherwise solemn moment.

Seth ate quietly as before, though, perhaps "ate" was too strong a word. He idly picked at the meal his mind swimming with thoughts. Even as the meal began to wind down he had made very little progress into his plate. Slowly he sat up straight again, placing both of his hands in his lap. They balled into loose fists as he began to take deep breaths. He had to dig deep and find that same confidence he had given to Mike. It took everything in his power to work up the nerve. His stomach hurt, his head was starting to pound and he could certainly feel his eyes burning as if he needed to cry. "The girl in the sketchbook..." He said quietly, almost more to the air around him than to the others. Austin's eyes immediately focused on Seth, not going to let anything distract him from his brother's attempt to open up.

"It's okay, buddy." Austin said quietly. "We're with friends, what's up?" He asked, placing his hand on Seth's shoulder.

Seth still didn't look up as he breathed out a shallow breath. "She's um... She's me..." He closed his eyes, bracing for the worst. "I... I'm Trans..."

Austin's eyes flew open wide as he began to connect the dots. He sat in dumbfounded silence for a few moments. "Seth, I..."

"I have to go." Seth said simply, quickly pushing himself away from the table. Austin stood as well but didn't follow necessarily. He was still too shocked to really move. He watched as Seth collected his bag and headed out the door in a hurry. Austin moved to follow but stopped when he saw Seth's sketchbook sitting in the chair his brother had been occupying. He returned to the table, for lack of a better place to go, falling back into his chair. He looked down at sketchbook opening it.

He began flipping through the pages, seeing just how far back this girl was appearing in his brother's work. "Wow. Guess we know what's been eating him, huh?" He said, chuckling nervously. His brother getting upset about the sketch that morning made more sense to him now. "I guess I really wasn't paying enough attention. I should've noticed." He said, frustrated with himself. He looked up at Mike and Alex sighing softly to himself. "What do you guys make of it?" He asked, more looking to find some form of clarity or reassurance in all of it.

Alex was mostly focused on the food, trying to think of something to say to Mike, something to ease his doubts. He'd find something soon enough, no doubt, but what could that be. Austin sounded like the voice of reason to her, saying that Mike should do what he wanted, but that was one thing and finding that calling another one entirely different. She frowned a bit, unable to puzzle the situation, specially when Seth of all people, reached to Mike, touching him gently, a strange show of affection that she couldn't quite decipher. "Yeah, there are things a parent doesn't want to hear, and liking Mike's cooking more is one of them" she continued Austin's joke, feeling a bit awkward and focusing her attentions on the plate.

Mike was surprised by Seth's gesture, but he didn't even flinch. "Ah-" he just mumbled, catching himself thinking the same thing twice in a few minutes, about how cute Seth was when blushed. "Thank you" he just said before Austin started to talk about Alex's parents food, the fleeting thought he had about Seth still floating in his mind. It was normal, right? After all he had that long hair, that small smile, finding him cute meant nothing. Anyone would find him cute and that wouldn't mean a thing. Mike got a good chunk of sauce dripping pork into his mouth, savoring it and distracting himself with his cooking. The idea was basic and it worked, maybe a little too rich, but he didn't make dessert, so it was fine if it was a little bit on the overwhelming side.

As the meal progressed he found himself eating more than usual, almost matching Alex's eagerness when it was strange on him. It was tasty and the plums were in season, but even if it wasn't just that he had enough to process, and resisted to add anything else. Seth's worked breath made him look, wondering what was going on, finally noticing that he almost didn't touch his food. He knew it, it was something about the girl he had drawn, she was part of his troubles. As Austin was easing him up, Mike and Alex nodded in silence, trying to look reassuring.

Mike was left in awe, glancing for a moment to his hand where Seth had comforted him, then back at Seth. Alex was wide eyed, but she slowly nodded, as if the pieced were starting to fit in her mind. Mike had been terribly right and horribly wrong about the sketch at the same time, and leaving the cutlery he was about to reach Seth when Austin tried to speak, prompting Seth's escape. Mike looked dumbfounded while Austin went for the sketchbook and back, his mind drawing a blank. He wasn't specially informed about that and his family wasn't precisely forward thinking, so he wasn't quite equipped for such a thing. "Seth doesn't know the city..." was all that he mumbled, before getting up from the table.

Alex looked at Mike, reading him like an open book. "We'll be here in case Seth comes back, pick your phone" she instructed, more focused than the couple of boys. Mike just grabbed his phone and bolted out to the street, trying to guess where could have Seth gone, ready to ask around for the redheaded boy. "But he's not..." he mumbled stopping for a moment, then resuming his search.

"What a first day of school" Alex said back at the house, dragging her chair next to Austin's and holding him close, passing her arm over his shoulder. "Try to be positive, try to be supportive. Now you now what was going on this entire time" she said, her voice lower and more gentle than it had been that entire day, looking at the pages of the sketchbook. "I know that we have just met, but I'll be there for you two, and Mike... well, he has just bolted out after Seth, so it goes without saying" she nodded. "It must be weird, being twins" Alex realized.

Back
Top Bottom