Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

..::Rᴜɴɴɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ Fᴀᴛᴇ::.. [Hᴀʀᴜ & Iʀᴏɴɪᴄ]

Ironic

ɪꜱɴ’ᴛ ɪᴛ 𝓘𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓬, ᴅᴏɴᴛᴄʜᴀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ?
Staff member
“Tomorrow is the big day.” King Dovakin spoke to his daughter, Krista, in a low voice, deeper than the sound of bass. He stood at the doorway of her bedroom as she sat upright on her bed, legs crisscrossed. “You are to be betrothed tomorrow with Prince K’yai of Tethiras. It would do much good here to our kingdom of Kar Kaeget.” His tone was proud and full of pride, his eyes gleaming with high hopes.

The kingdoms of Tethiras & Kar Kaeget were home to a very rare species called Night Elfs on the world of Tarduril. There were only around 500 left, and 15 of them were royalty. They were worth very much in the eyes of the public, which they had to always be heavily guarded. They were constantly at threat with those who wanted to obtain their rarity.

Krista listened wordlessly as her father chattered, nodding her head while giving faint smiles. To be truthful, she wasn’t too strong on the idea of being married to someone she hadn’t met yet, let alone just getting married for the benefit of her kingdom and not for love. The townspeople got to marry who they wanted, why couldn’t she? She kept her opinions secluded, her father not knowing what truly played inside of her elusive mind. “I’m just rambling now.” King Dovakin chuckled before clutching the door handle, getting ready to close her door. “You need all the rest you can get. I love you, Krista.”

I love you too, father.” She responded before he closed the door lightly, hearing the click of the lock as it shut all the way. Groaning a deep gust of air she fell backwards on her mattress, closing her eyes briefly as she imagined K’yai. She only knew what he looked like through photos he had sent in the mail to her. He was striking, she did give him that, but he had a bad reputation for his anger. Her fingers tapped lightly on her covers as her mind drifted somewhere else.

I don’t want to go through with this…” Krista envisioned her future with this man, not seeing anything good coming from it besides royalty. She wanted no part in this arranged mirage, wanting to pick someone herself. Wouldn’t it be best to have an outsider anyways to understand the townspeople better and to improve life? “All of this deep thinking isn’t helping. I need to show actions. I’m tired of not doing anything about how I truly feel.” Krista quietly pepped talked herself as she pondered on an unthinkable thought; running away.

She didn’t want to leave her kingdom. Her father and mother, Queen Elisa, loved her very much and treated her with respect and affection. They never pressured her with anything besides an arranged mirage, foreshadowing it ever since she was a juvenile. When she was younger the thought of being a princess and being married to a prince warmed her heart, but now as she grown and developed thoughts of her own she wasn’t too fond of the idea. All of this talk about her future lover and she wasn’t even allowed to meet him until the day of the wedding.

It was hard to decide what she wanted to do. She was torn. After thinking ineptly about her decision she finally came to a conclusion after about 3 hours of thought. Krista would leave the home she had loved and adored for her whole life in search for a new life. Maybe the outside world wouldn’t be as bad as they proclaimed. Packing a small bag of clothing and foot she strapped the luggage onto her back and quietly left through the window in her bedroom, closing it tightly for no ideas of her absence. She even went as far as stuffing her bed to appear that she was sleeping in it.

Since she was young she tracked the guard’s positions and where they would be placed so she could escape and venture out. They didn’t want her to be roaming due to her rarity, but she payed no mind to their words and went out anyways. No one ever caught her or even appeared suspicious. Everything was fine so she should be fine.

She wore a dark cloak to blend herself in with the dark of night, jumping off balconies onto the next before hitting the ground and running into the wooded area. There were many paths in the forest, frequent individuals using the woods as a shortcut to wherever they travel to. The air was cold and frost started to form on the grass. Her kingdom resided against the snowy mountains, making night colder than usual. She shuttered as her body grew cold but she would soon grow acquaint to the chill.

How long will it take for them to see she had ran away? More than likely in the morning when they wake her up to get ready for the ceremony. She almost wanted to stay close by to hear their reactions but instead she treaded as far as she could for the night.

The Great Sphinxes of Tarduril were a dying breed. As large as dragons and some say just as powerful. Their lower-born ilk; the Chimera, the Lamia, the Sphinx, Griffin, and others... were plentiful enough. But the Great Sphinx was a rare wonder indeed.

One of the last of his kind, the Great Sphinx, Ahmaket, had made his home in the Forest of Aduraas. The huge oldwood forest was also home to the Night Elves, and though he knew of their existence, few knew of his. It was said that the Great Sphinx guarded some lofty treasure, riches enough to make an Emperor of Tarduril, though whether this was true was unknown. Never before had Ahmaket been seen by man, and his lordly presence often changed, taking on a form of a celestial lion, and word spread of the majestic beast, though none knew its true nature.

However, there was another in the forest, a female Sphinx that desired the power of Ahmaket, and she compacted a deal with demons, giving unto the Demon of Lust her human form. In this pact, she brought forth great magic and bound Ahmaket into a human form as well, that of a man. This curse denied him his true power and bound him into the earthly form of the man simply known as Ket.

Ket, having only the most vague recollection of who he was what he was, became a mercenary for hire. He was powerful, and deadly, and when fully armored he was recognized by most in Tarduril as the Blue Lion Knight. His deeds were varied and many, and none could stand before his huge mace, nor get by the defense of his shield. His feats were uncanny, and even he could not explain them. His senses were without peer, his strength prodigious, and his speed without equal.

In the decades that followed, Ket became known as a benevolent helper of those in need, so it came as little surprise when he made his way to the kingdom of Kar Kaeget. He had heard of the disappearance of the Princess, the daughter of King Dovakin. She had disappeared before her marriage; a marriage meant to bring the kingdom of her father, and eventually hers, together with the kingdom of Tethiras. Both were elven kingdoms in the Forest of Aduraas. They had been in conflict for some time, and the depleted numbers of the Night Elves demanded that they no longer kill one another. Already facing extinction, this seemed the best way.

So when the Princess had gone missing, it had sent the kingdoms into an uproar. She needed to be found, but the forest was expansive, and if she had wandered out of it, then finding her might prove to be difficult.

Ket made his way to the King, and found himself in the company of a few different sellswords, each intent on proving their worthiness to the King. When it came time to talk to Ket, the Blue Lion simply let his acts speak for themselves.

"I promise to find your daughter. That is all I can tell you. I will return her home to you, alive if possible." he said, not wanting to entertain the worst, though it was a possibility. That was all he could do, and he was sure that he would not be the only one out hunting for the girl.

The night had passed and morning arised, the rising sun scattering its radiant light far across the lands. Krista had found herself in the forests of Lava Forge, a earthy forest that was close by the Gray Mountains. It was a new environment for her as she wasn't allowed to leave the kingdom for obvious reasons.

Small creatures such as squirrels and dear made their appearance. They pranced around in search for breakfast, treading away hastily once they saw Krista walking against the redundant path. Twigs and leaves covered it, the trail not being used for some time now. It made it hard to calculate where to walk next but it didn't matter anyways.

Her eyes grew heavy as she wanted to rest and sleep for a while, traveling on foot for more than 8 hours. Her calves ached and her eyes were tired of moving. It was hard to keep her posture, her knees shaking and wanting to collapse from exhaustion. For a moment she regretted her decision. She had no outside skills and had little to no knowledge on how to survive outside. Since she was a Night Elf nature should come as an instinct for her, and it did to some extent.

In the heart of the woods stood a mossy den, un-inhabited and left vacant for someone else to claim as their own. Silently she tip-toed towards the cave-like entrance, unsure if anything hid inside the earthy walls. It was empty, hay coating the ground for insulation and comfort. There was some dried up blood that looked to be there from months prior in the hay, more than likely a mother giving birth to her young. That didn't phase her, though, quickly nestling inside of the den and setting her belongings beside her as she laid down.

Normally the texture of hay was uncomfortable and prickly, making it hard to get comfortable, but in Krista's state it felt like a clouded bed. It was finally nice to rest and get some sleep. Her large pointed ears would act like radars, picking up the slightest of sounds that were suspicious to wake her when necessary. Deeming it safe enough to close her eyes, she drifted into the much needed sleep she deserved.

Ket had set out, as had many others, to find the Princess. Though it had been a been of time, the scent of the elven female helped to guide him, and the Sphinx-turned-man was hot on her trail. It did not take long for him to find himself in the depths of the wood, the old growth forest so dense that it blocked most of the light from overhead. The lush undergrowth didn't seem to mind though, the network of the forest one huge living thing.

Little did Ket know that he was being watched, tracked, by a group of hunters unique all on their own.

Led by a particularly deadly dark elf named T'Baan; his followers included his half-brother Gruhn, as well as several orcs. Scar, Dorn, Jawr and the berserker Pruhxus. Knowing the reputation of the Blue Lion Knight, they hunted him as assuredly as he hunted the Princess, knowing that they could score two birds with one stone so to speak.

Ket had an idea he might be followed, but in his pride he ignored that and instead continued onward. The large cave, den-like and even still with the smells of wild beasts lingering, Ket detected the Princess and knew that she had been there. He approached the entrance cautiously, and T'Baan, with his mount, slipped silently through the forest. The others of his party did as well, and Gruhn motioned to the others. If Ket entered the den, it would be a perfect opportunity to corner him, negate some of his fighting prowess, and bring him down. They'd been given good coin, assurances by the female sphinx, Reasis, that through her compact with the demon they would have power beyond their dreams.

Ket pulled the massive mace from his belt and his shield hovered in front of him, the enchanted protection allowing the shield to move on its own. The interior of the cave was dark, but the keen eyes of Ket could pierce through that and it was only as he crossed into the darkness that he heard the incoming persons behind him, Jawr slamming into his shield, which had moved on its own, with such force that it still threw Ket forward. The others were on him then as well, swarming the warrior.

Krista slept for two hours, her breathing easily swaying in and out in a relaxed trance. It was nice to finally get some much needed rest, her body tired and sore from the non-stop traveling she endured. She wasn't looking forward to getting back on the path again, just wanting to relax for a day or two, but it couldn't be done.

Everyone would be looking for her by now, as she speculated. She was so rare that they couldn't just let her disappear without a trace. It would be too risky to their kind. Sure, you can call her selfish for not wanting to be with another Night Elf in pursuit of replenishing the species, but she also didn't want to be some sex slave only to repopulate either.

Her mind swirled around as she was lodged inside of a dream state. It did't last too long, though, the sound of clanking piercing those sensitive ears to stir her awake and sitting upwards as fast as possible. Just outside of the entrance stood a human male, being circled by a dark elf amongst orcs. Her eyes widened in fear, not knowing what to do or how to help the man.

Quickly rising to her feet, she pulled out a cutting knife that stayed in a small pocket that was tied around her thigh. They already knew she was there so she couldn't sneak into action. Rapidly she dashed in front of the group, slashing her knife towards Jawr as he slammed into the mans shield.

"Leave him alone!" She hollered before hastily moving her arm to swipe at him once more. He wasn't phased by her swatting and quickly gripped her wrist, stopping her movements. Why did she even try to help this man out? She was a target and they were more than likely fighting over her in the first place, she would assume. She was just tossing herself out there.

Ket had sensed the attack too late, and though he was not injured, the force of impact threw him forward. As he got to his feet, a female elf had interposed herself between him and his attackers, swiping at them with a knife she had in her hand. Immediately Ket recognized her scent, and realized this was the Princess he was supposed to find. It seemed that those who had followed him realized this as well, when one of them made a grab for her.

The odds were not in his favor, nor hers, but Ket could not let things go so easily, and he now faced his foes. "I'd advise against hurting the woman." he growled, his tone full of warning and danger. His huge mace, Contere, was light in his hand, but impossibly heavy for just about anyone else, and Aegis hovered, ready to defend. When it seemed that they would not heed his words, Ket charged, the huge mace slicing through the air with almost a howl. Jawr danced back out of range, the weapon glancing off the cave wall, drawing sparks and making a huge crack in the rock.

"Leave now, and nobody gets hurt." Ket told them, and from somewhere in the forest a low whistle sounded. Like a man calling off his hounds. The orcs and the dark elf exchanged looks but did retreat, slowly, backing away and never taking their eyes from Ket.

"We'll be back, and you can bet your ass things won't go as well for you." one of them said, and Ket simply held his ground.

In another moment they were gone, and he turned toward the woman. "Are you alright? I hope you are not injured." he said, and with a slight twist of a ring on one gauntleted hand, his armor and weapons disappeared, leaving him in a more normally dressed state. It was a way to show her that he meant no harm.

Krista was taken off guard when the Dark Elf made a grab for her, intertwining his hands over her small frame in a tightly secured lock. She wrestled around in his grasp but he only gripped tighter once she struggled. He kept his grip on her as he dodged Ket's attacks, wanting to make a secrete ambush with her until the whistle sounded off. He growled in response to it, flinging the girl out of his way and making her fall down on her knees. They quickly departed, Krista circling her head to watch the group leave before standing up to brush the grime off from her clothes.

The mysterious man asked if she was alright and instantly she started to back away from him until realizing he meant no harm once his armor and weapons dispersed. She blinked before letting out an eventful sigh. "I am fine, thank you for helping." She responded before eyeing him up. "I hope you're not injured yourself. You took on all of them at once. Unlike myself, you have skills. Good for you." She meant no sarcasm when she said the last part. At least he could take care of himself.

"It was foolish of me to intervene. I almost got abducted. That wouldn't have been good." She dug the tip of her shoe into the forest dirt before her eyes looked off into the distance.

"I better get going before something like that happened again. I bid you well."

Ket immediately went to his knee before her, a sign of fealty. "Princess? I have been sent by your parents to find you. I will not force you to return home, but I am honor-bound to keep you safe." he told her, lifting his face and then removing his helmet. "My name is Ket, and I am at your service M'lady." he told her, and met her gaze with his own, his blue eyes striking.

Krista was taken back as he admitted his purpose here, shifting away from him as her feet stepped backwards a few times. "I don't understand... Why would you not want to return me back and yet you're more than wiling to stand by my side and guard me? It makes no sense." She placed a thoughtful index finger on her chin.

"It doesn't add up. I mean, lets face it, I am very 'expensive' so I am more than sure that there is a prize above my head for those who return me, hm?" She eyed him up and downwards, trying to pick out a crack in his seemingly un-dented character. So far she saw nothing, but once he spoke maybe he would admit something to her.

Ket shook his head. "No, m'lady, I understand your reservations. I promised your parents I would bring you home, alive if possible, but I specified no time-frame in which I would do so. I would rather travel with you, keeping you safe, than to let you wander the world on your own and possibly meet an untimely and grisly demise. Your parents offered no price for you, nor did I accept one. I am sure that repayment would come, but I have only concerned myself with your well-being." he told her.

"I would accept my offer Princess, for I will keep you safe, even from those that would take you back to your parents forcibly." he posited, hoping that she could see this was true.

She narrowed her eyes, still not seeming to buy into his sincerity. "I don't think you're being honest with me. Who in the right mind would search for someone like me out of the kindness of their heart?" Her arms crossed tightly against her chest, her glare staying on his face. "I'd rather wonder off by myself. Thanks for your concern." Sarcasm was coating her words as she began to walk away from him, not even bothering to look back. She didn't have time with individuals such as he.

Ket moved to his feet. Normally if someone would call him a liar he'd have slain them on the spot. This was not a normal circumstance and so he simply allowed her to walk away. "Believe what you like child. That does not make it true." he said, and replaced his helmet. She had said that she would rather wander by herself, and so he let her leave. It was not his duty to be her keeper, and he watched her depart with disinterest.

----------​

Ket stayed in the cave for a time, trying to figure a way out of his situation. He had thought, many times, of simply killing the deceitful female sphinx, but the demon that possessed her was a problem. Without his true form, his powers were limited, and though he knew he could defeat the demon with his full powers, it was almost impossible in this human form. Perhaps that was a way to get the elven girl to help him, or to allow him to accompany her...

Standing from where he sat, Ket left the cave to pursue her, following her trail, though it was difficult. His keen senses helped him, and it was not too terribly long before he found her.

"Let me speak with you. Perhaps there is a way that you and I can help one another." he said, and then he proceeded to explain who he was, though whether she would believe it or not might be another matter.

The Elven Princess could barely hear his words as she walked away, paying no mind to what he had to say. Who in their right mind would help her for no reason? It didn't add up to her and she couldn't see someone doing something out of the kindness of their heart. It wasn't Ket's fault, though. You have to figure that all of her life she was treated this way and didn't know true kindness. She sighed heavily before walking through the forest on her own, the twigs and branches cracking under the weight of her foot.

She departed from him nearly thirty minutes ago until he found his way back to her. Her eyes glared at him before puffing out an annoying sigh. He looked determined and his words seem to hold true with how much emotion he put in them. She nodded and extended her hand out in a 'go on... say what you need to say' motion.

Ket twisted the ring on his finger and the armor he wore disappeared, leaving him in normal clothing as he spoke. "Princess, I am more than I appear. I am the Great Sphinx Ahmaket, but I have been cursed to walk the world in this mortal form. I am trying to find the witch that cursed me, to get my powers back, and get my vengeance. I would like to enlist your help in this, as I know you have ties to magic." he told her, hoping that she might be open to the idea.

A thoughtful finger tapped on her chin as she thought about it.

"A Great Sphinx turning into a human from a curse? I've never heard that one before. You're just as rare as my kind..." Then it struck her like a bullet right then and there. Now she could understand why he was acting the way he was. He knew what it was like in a sense. Immediately she bowed down in apology.

"I am sorry for my foolishness. You have to understand from my perspective that I am not use to kindness like this. I will help you as long as I can get out and breathe for once." She agreed to comply with his request.

Ket shook his head. "Please, please... do not apologize. I would be wary were I in your position as well. But it is why I offered to help. I spoke truly to you, and do wish to accompany you. Your parents are worried over you, as they should be, but are also trying to force you to do something you do not desire. Thus I will help you as best I can, keeping you safe." he told her.

He then explained a bit further. "This sphinx that cursed me made a compact with a demon, for she desires me as a mate but I rejected her. In her anger she and this demon conspired against me, depriving me of my true power for they knew I would destroy them both. Once my curse is lifted I will reacquire my might and annihilate them. It is said that there is an immensely powerful artifact that can grant the desires of the one who finds it, though I am unsure where to even look. Or even what this artifact is, exactly. But I would hope that perhaps we can help one another. You will be able to travel and get out to see the world, but I will keep you safe. I think it might work well for the both of us." he replied.

Krista nodded and listened to this drama-filled story, relating to him because she too was put in a situation she didn't want to be in. It broke her heart that the woman turned him into something he wasn't. She was lucky enough to not get the same type of treatment. She would help in anyway she could.

"Do you think this female Sphinx will do anything to me since I am trying to help you?" She questioned him, wanting to make sure she would be okay enough even if she did try to conspire something against her.

"Do you know much about this artifact? If I get some details I may be able to pinpoint it out. I'm guessing something so valuable is locked away."

Ket met her gaze with his own dark eyes. "Honestly, if she thinks you are my mate then she will likely try to kill you. But my goal is that she never finds out that I am trying to revert back to my normal form. Thinking that I have given up, is how I wish her to be." he admitted.

He shook his head. "No. Legends abound about all manner of things, but I know that there is research to be done. I need to head to the city of Maloril to the east. There is said to be a great library there. But I think I will need your help. In this form I have lost the ability to decipher and read all mortal languages. There will likely be tomes there that will aid me, but I will need a translator." he explained.

"Translating is a good task for me since I speak different languages if some are in different text." She admitted, feeling somewhat useful for once. "I know a wide arrange of spells and abilities to help us later down the road as well. I will try my best to make you revert back to your original state." She promised him with everything she had. It wasn't like she had anything better to do anyways.

"Since I have never adventured out before I would prefer you lead the way to Maloril. I could cast a spell to help guide me but that would drain my energy which I cannot afford right now." She admitted,

Ket smiled. "Thank you for your kindness. I will lead the way." he told her, and would indeed begin to make a path through the forest. Allowing a little time for her to decide how best she wanted to walk with him, Ket finally asked, "So other than leaving home because you did not approve of your arranged marriage, is there any other reason?" he asked, curious.

The elven princess quickly followed beside him, keeping some distance just in case he tried anything funny. She knew how to protect herself if needed but she had to admit she let some of her guard down when it came to him.

"I was tired of being treated because of my status." She admitted as her head slightly hung lower than before. "I was never allowed to do anything because they didn't want to risk anything happening to me. I understand, don't get me wrong, but it gets old quickly." She sighed.

Ket looked over as she spoke. "I will not hold you back. Nor will I tell you what to do. I would like to know what to call you by." he said, and led their way through the forested area. Ket wound ever eastward, toward Maloril, and after several hours he stopped and looked at the girl.

"How often do you require that we stop and rest, or eat? I myself do not require much in that regard, though I admit I do like to eat. Rest is luckily not something that I need much of. This body is much smaller than my natural one of course, and I find that because of that it does not use nearly as much energy."

Once she would give her answer, Ket would once more lead them onward, though would stop to rest or to sup as the elf would need.

"You can just call me by my name, Krista. Nothing formal with it, please. And you?" She answered his request. They walked for a while, her feet aching and unused to the exercise. Her calves ached and she was growing tired. She would be sore in the morning.

"If you don't mind can we get something to eat and then sleep? I am not use to this exercise since I haven't really traveled like this before." She sighed out, entering into the city finally after all of that travel.

"I do not mind where we go to eat at. I will have you pick. I would like to know more of your story unless you told me it all already."

Smiling over at her he gave a nod. "You can just call me Ket if you like. I'll call you Krista." he agreed. He could tell she was becoming tired, and sure enough, she even spoke up about it. "Maloril is not far now, and I have plenty of funds, so I will make sure that we stay someplace nice... unless you desire to spend time in the seedier parts of the city for some reason?" he asked.

By now the city could be seen, and compared to the smaller cities prevalent in the forests, Maloril was a sight to behold. Huge spires and reinforced stone walls seemed a regular part of the construction of the fortress city, and the immense iron gates that were now open passed under a huge barbican that was made to repel intruders. Armed guards could be seen manning the structure and walkig along parapets, looking and talking among themselves as they watched the passersby come and go. Both the elven princess and the knight in blue drew some looks, but they were not stopped nor questioned.

"Just follow me Krista. I'll find us someplace nice to rest and to eat." Ket told her and sure enough, without much more walking he brought her to a nice two-story structure that proudly proclaimed itself the Dragon's Head, with a sign outside depicting a bright red dragon. Ket pushed open the door and walked inside, holding it for the elven woman, and once inside they could see that the place did quite the business. Though there were several tables that were unoccupied, well over half were packed with patrons, and Ket gestured vaguely. "You go find us a place to sit, and I'll get us something to drink, then we can decide what we want to eat. Is mead alright with you or do you have a preference?" he asked.

"I enjoy mead. You have good tastes." She commented on it before picking a seat out for the two of them. It was in the corner of the room, tucked away in a sense that no one could eavesdrop on their conversations in case they would discuss anything important.

In the center of the table two paper menus were sprawled out, Krista grabbing one and reading it while she waited for Ket. The roasted chicken and potatoes with honey glazed vegetables grasped her attention, her stomach beginning to growl once the scent of food finally settled into her flared nostrils. She was hungrier than she had initially thought. When Ket would return she would point out on the menu what she was getting, crossing her arms as she had made up her decision proudly.

"This one's on me." She pontificated, her hues staring him down and daring him to protest.

Back
Top Bottom