Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The God Who Would Be King (PoisonousIvee/Mr.Aznable)

PoisonousIvee

Cluster
For nearly a century, the land had gone without a ruler; the royal bloodline had died before an heir could be produced, claimed by a deadly plague the priests had claimed to be Divine Punishment for lack of proper gratitude to the Gods. For nearly a century, the people had done their best to make ammends for whatever wrong they had committed, any insult they had caused the Gods that angered them so. With no ruler, the land fell into turmoil; brother plotted against brother and wives stolen from husbands, murder committed in the very streets in broad daylight. All seemed lost, hope flickering like a dying ember.
"Anatu..." The head priest approached the young maiden, leaning against his cane, "Prepare the garden for the ceremony tonight with the other priestesses. If we cannot receive an answer from the Gods this night then I fear we have been abandoned."

Anatu nodded and gathered all that she needed, her heart aching. She loved the kingdom, and hated seeing it so mistreated.

She and the other priestesses worked hard into the evening to make the garden an acceptable ceremonial area, the whole of the kingdom would gather around the temple and pray, beg forgiveness from the Gods and have them choose someone to rule them and guide their kingdom. People brought gifts to try and appease the Gods; fine jewels and prized animals, anything of value was brought forward to please the Gods.

Anatu could only stand back and watch, and as days passed, no answers were seen from the gods.

The priests had given up, lamenting over the silence of their deities. Mothers wailed and men grew violent, threatening death on the priests. Some of the priestesses were handled roughly by the younger men, told they needn't save themselves for those who would turn them away. But then something odd happened.
The temple doors began to push open.

Everyone was quiet, dead quiet and stock still. When they fully opened, a tall young man came out and stood before them. His hair was long and black as night, eyes as red as gemstones.
"My Children," his voice carried over the wind with power and pride, "thy prayers be finally answered. Rejoice, for thou hast your King."

A loud cheer erupted through the town, and Anatu felt herself tearing up and cheering along with them

When he made his way amoung them, they dropped to their knees before him. A kind smile pulled at his lips and he regarded each of them, accepting their gifts and their praise; then he stopped before Anatu and smiled. She could have melted right there.

She dropped to her knees and bowed before him. "M-My king I am less than unworthy of this blessing.. Thank you for coming to us.."

"Less than unworthy...?" He repeated, "Thou art too modest, lovely Anatu...thou art more worthy than any other..."

"Wh.. What..?" She asked as she looked up at him slowly. "Oh great king, what do you mean..?" She asked.

He cleared his throat gently before offering her his hand, "I have heard your prayers the loudest. You, who would put the whole of the kingdom before yourself...and beg for nothing but for your land to be blessed by Our gaze once more. I find that to be beyond worthy."

Her face flushed a bit. She gently took his hand. "I merely wished for our kingdom to be among the blessed once more.."

He gave a warm smile and kissed her hand, "Why don't you dress in your finest gown and meet me in the palace? You will share a meal with me."

Her heart could have stopped right then and there, her face lighting up a bright red as she could now only manage a quick nod.

By the time she made it to the palace, a building she was never allowed in before, she was guided to the dining area where Dagan sat dressed in the finest fabrics and jewels. The table was covered in delicious food.

She bowed once again. "M-My great king I am most humbled by this feast.. And your presence is magnificent as always.."

He gestured for her to take the seat beside him, "Do you drink wine? I have always wanted to try mortal wine~"

Back
Top Bottom