Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Portal (Dark Fantasy Setting)

Black_Out

Semi-Pro Stalker
Firstly, as an introductory starting point I'll lay out the general brass tacks about the concept of Portal and what players could most likely expect to find if they should join the story.

Portal is a setting that I have developed over the years based on a table top game of Dungeons and Dragons from some time ago. I've played several single partner story lines out to varying degrees of success. Those stories have more or less fizzled out, though I am still interested in exploring the setting. I'm not looking for rapid fire daily responses. If they do happen, that's fine, but I would like for everyone involved to reply once every week or so. I realize a lot of group role plays don't pan out, but I have every intention of seeing this through regardless of pace. So long as the group remains interested and the story progresses I'll be content.

I'll be acting solely as the GM for the role play. That being said I have no problem with players handling basic interactions that don't overtly effect the overall arc of the story. I'm also open to suggestions for content or ideas that fit into the scope of the setting. I intend to focus a lot on plot, world building and character development and I'm leaving things open ended in that regard. There's no end goal, no planned finish line to cross unless the characters in the story set those themselves. The story is meant to focus on the characters in it and the adventures or misadventures they end up entangled in.

As for the smut, well it will fit in where appropriate at least from my side. Considering the setting though slavery is one theme that will be encountered in some way shape or form. Ideally I would prefer players that are open to that potential fate, though I don't intend to force the issue if it's ultimately something the group doesn't desire. Simply put in the setting slavery is a common practice in some parts and therefore will be an issue to be dealt with when crossing with those factions.

Characters will be starting out under duress to say the least. Captives, or soon to be captives of a overbearing army that is sweeping the lands with a magical portal in tow. Those taken in by this force are often prisoners of those cities that are more cooperative with the Empire's demands. Those that don't bend the knee often have little choice in who the Inquisition targets once the dust of war has settled in the Empire's favor. It's not uncommon either for inner politics to come into play and see someone sold down the proverbial river by rivals and enemies within their own land. Ultimately all are brought before the High Inquisitor who passes judgement and banishes them into the unknown depths of the Portal.

Players can choose the depth of their background and present it my way for ultimate approval or editing and collaboration. I'm open to a small sect of races such as humans, elves, half elves, dwarfs, halfliings, and such. Sorry, I'm not looking for monstrous races, or furries, or futa concepts. I will allow those touched with divine or fiendish bloodlines, but nothing where their appearance would be other worldly.

With that in mind, players with a flair for mystical powers or inhuman lineage will need to be accepting of having a less then ideal first step into the world of Portal. Those who possess such supernatural abilities or are even suspected of such are maimed and crippled to the point that they couldn't possibly invoke the powers they once wielded. Until they somehow find a way to restore themselves. If having a tongue cut out and fingers mashed into pulp doesn't interest you, but you'd still like to play there are plenty of other options available where those entry fees aren't included.

Essentially, Portal is the story about an empire fueled by a collaboration of magic, science, and war that has risen to dominance over a vast continent. The entire empire pays homage to a single god, Merasheel the God of Knowledge. To worship any other deity is heresy and punished harshly.

The other cities and nations upon the continent where the Empire exists are fading powers with long histories of turmoil and distrust with their neighbors. Most all of these cities worshiped a single pantheon of gods, led by one who was most often referred to as the All Father. The All Father was not nearly as hands on with mortal affairs as his children were. Strife and disputes between the All Father's children often spilled into the ranks of their worships and commonly led to violent resolutions. It was due to this inner conflict among the pantheons lesser gods that Merasheel and the Empire were able to rise to power as common citizens grew disenchanted with the religious bickering and bloodshed.

Most likely the story will start out within one of these cities that is under siege by the Empire's war machine. Characters can be criminals, rebels, practitioners of illegal faiths, magi without proper licensing by the Empire, or simply poor sods falsely accused of trumped up charges. Eventually leading the group of characters to be sent through the mystical Portal into an uncertain future, banished to a far away prison island. This is the setting where the vast majority of the story will take place.

I have plenty of other concepts to share, more details for the story as a whole that I'll leave unsaid for now. Currently I'm just looking to see who might be interested in the basic layout that I've presented. I'll be accepting applications for characters when enough general interest is presented. I am looking for long term players who are interested in providing detailed responses of the multi-paragraph sort.

Last edited:
Bump, happy to engage in any questions or curiosities over the proposed plot.

Sounds interesting.

I have a question though: If the people are being pushed to a portal to be imprisoned in a prison, will it be possible for players to play as guards in said prison?

Initially no. I'll clarify a little bit here if I can.

The Portal leads to an island that has been magically sealed from escape through means that for the moment aren't really important. I'm looking for a group of players to essentially arrive through the Portal together in this new land. It won't be readily apparent that they're in a prison, it's more like a sentence of banishment. So if you can imagine a rather large continent sized island, perhaps around the size of Australia where criminals of all sorts have been getting deposited for the past fifty years then that's more or less the basic dynamic's of what the players will be entering into.

So I'm looking for a group of perhaps three players that band together in the interest of self survival. Exactly where their travels go is entirely open ended.

Ah I see. The prison is more like the island from Battle Royale (except much bigger and without the "Kill everyone else to escape" rule). I thought it was the building variety of prison. Anyway, the island concept sounds interesting and would be interested in trying it out.

It's very much a full fledged island with it's own history and native inhabitants. Granted the sudden unrelenting influx of people from the Portal has altered the islands previous balance as they've carved out their own niche's. In the end it's your typical DnD campaign with a twist. There's ruins to explore, mystical creatures to confront, and a variety of settlements that the players might end up discovering.

Bumpity, bump. Still looking for interested parties to stick their toes in the proverbial waters. Happy to discuss the overall general intentions or answer any curios queries.

Still looking for some players to sign up. Heck, post reasons why you might be hesitant and I'll do my best to persuade them away.
[automerge]1547991734[/automerge]
Interest is beginning to trickle in. Any fella's care to join what is rounding out to be a roster full of ladies?

Last edited:
I plan on posting a general overview sort of starter that will highlight the city players will be starting off in and the current state of affairs pertaining to the Empire's arrival. What I'll be looking for after this is PM's from interested parties detailing the type of character they want to play in the setting. Plenty of different backgrounds are available, so don't feel constrained, if somethings too over the top I'll let you know.

Eventually once the character concepts are approved I'll post a thread with a general layout for character descriptions and details to be presented. I'll also set up an OOC chat thread where we can discuss the story as it rolls along and just keep in touch if anyone is going to be unavailable to post for a time, etc. I'd like to keep the group to a moderate size, and I'm definitely looking for players that are in it for the long haul.

As always, any questions or concerns can be posted here or sent to me via PM.

The Starting Point

The arrival of scattered groups of refugees from the neighboring farming district of Hahn were the first to bring substantial warning of the Empire's approach into the gates of Eastborne. Sure, the rumors and tales had been heard, but when the first of those settlers arrived, that's when the reality of the approaching storm became undeniably a real and tangible threat for the very first time. Day by day the sense of dread deepened within the city of Eastborne as more small bands of fleeing villagers arrived seeking sanctuary or at least a temporary place to rest and regain their strength before turning back out onto the open road.

There was a sudden rise in crime not long after the bands of refuges arrived in the relatively peaceful stone walled city of Eastborne. Common theft spiked threefold and there was a noticeable uptick in violent offenses as tempers flared during those stressful times. At the end of the second week the gates were shut and any further refugees were barred from entering the city and routinely sent on their way. In short order the refugees that had briefly been given stay within the city were rounded up and put under the roof of temple to the Maiden of Mercy, Oprinicus.

The townsfolk didn't care, and the handful of humble servants that still served and cared for the forgotten deity's temple were more then grateful to be of service. For over fifty years now their prayers had been met with silence, the glory of their goddess all but lost with the passage of time. Still, a few held faith when most everyone else saw no reason to pay homage to what was widely believed to be a dead god any more. They took care of the refugees within their once glorious temple that had fallen into disrepair and decay as the offerings of the faithful dwindled to near non existence.

That's when the whispering of treachery and deceit began to trickle through the town. It started like most rumors do, told to one person, who told it to another, and on down the line until it was a far cry from the original whispered conversation. The gist of it spoke of the Empire's spies and assassins having mingled in with the refugees that now took shelter under the old decrepit temple. There was to much finger pointing to make much of any logical deductions as to who may or may not be acting upon the Empire's behalf, so the entire temple was turned into what was essentially a prison camp. The handful of priests and the cluster of refugees under their care were all forced to stay within the grounds of the temple while the cities law keepers tried to sort through the mess.

By the end of the first month scouts reported sightings of ranks of cavalry sweeping around the distant borders of the city of Eastborne. A few lucky merchants that slipped through spoke of witnessing teams of wagons bearing goods being confiscated by similar forces on horseback all bearing the singular blue star symbol of the Empire upon their banners. Soon after, nothing came to the gates of Eastborne anymore. No caravans arrived with their much sought after shipments and provisions. No tourists came to visit the great fest halls or explore the pleasures offered at the local whore houses. Mercenaries and adventurers didn't arrive seeking a temporary home to spend their coin at before setting off on their next great journey.

For a full month the city was isolated, cut off from the rest of the world beyond their stout stone walls. The military was on high alert, though moral was sketchy at best as word of the Empire's massive war machine and what it was capable of swept through rank after rank of soldier. It was quite common in that month to hear bitter disputes over what should be done about the Empire's eventual demands to perform their Inquisition within Eastborne. Those that stood to loose the most often sided with the idea of giving into the Empire's demands. They often cited how well off the cities that acquiesced were in comparison to those that stood their ground only to end up crushed by the Empire and over taken by their banner.

Eastborne was the next in line for the Inquisition. A sense of panic permeated the citizenry to their very core. Anyone and everyone could possibly end up under the Inquisition's suspicious gaze. Banished into an unknown land by means of the magical portal that traveled within the heart of the Empire's mighty armies. Soon, the Herald of the Empire would arrive at the Gates of Eastborne. He would seek audience with their leaders, and the fate of Eastborne and it's people would be decided in that private meeting.

Interested Players

This is essentially the general area I plan to start things out in so characters will have to be in or around Eastborne for some reason or other. I'll leave some wiggle room with the time frame in the event that players in the group wish to explore some of these dynamics and build back story for their characters. I'm happy to hear additional ideas or suggestions presented that mesh with the above layout and I may expand the above with additional details if I feel it's needed.

At this point anyone who is interested in joining Portal can send me a detailed character concept. Include as much detail as you want about what makes your character tick and what sorts of skills they might possess. I'm looking to keep the group around four players with wiggle room one way or the other depending on the level of interest. Keep in mind that while the setting is based around DnD I do not expect any knowledge of the rules from that game to be a necessity for Portal. Also I want to reiterate that I'm not concerned with posting frequency. If your the sort that is looking for a quick rapid fire response sort of tale your looking in the wrong place. I'm simply looking for players that are both patient and interested in a long term group campaign.

Here's a general character sheet that anyone can feel free to use to submit their concepts my way.

CHARACTER NAME

Nickname(s):
Alias(es):
Theme Song:

Physical Traits

Race:
Eye color:
Hair color:
Hair length:
Height:
Weight:
Tattoos:
Piercings:
Scars:
Other noticeable traits:

Psychological Traits

Sexual Orientation:
Hobbies:
Fears:
Personality:

Ons/Offs:
Hard Limits:

Skills:

Supernatural abilities: (Keep it within reason)

Story:
Tell us your tale...

How I Look:
Show us how you look...

What goes bump in the night, this request thread does. Survive, adapt, and thrive is the name of the game.

1st approved character is posted, second will go up tomorrow. Thread for those interested in the story of Portal and what characters are already signed up can find that thread here. Portal - Character Thread

Also our OOC chat has been established, feel free to hop in and introduce yourselves. Portal [OOC Chatterbox]

Still accepting submissions for those interested in a long term fantasy campaign.

The doors will be closing soon, still potentially accepting one or two more characters. PM me if interested or feel free to drop a comment in here. Just a friendly reminder, this is going to be a slow paced endeavor.

Still got one spot up for grabs, feel free to post here or send a PM. Stories just getting underway.

Same as above, still space for one more. If your interested in a long term fantasy campaign just send me an idea.

Back
Top Bottom