Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dragon Ball: Train me, or else! (Matttheman89/TheyDontKnowIBurn)

1-goten.jpg

Stepping outside the house and stretching his arms to the heavens for a few seconds, Goten let out a sigh before letting them drop, looking up into the sky contemplatively as he thought on what he might do today. He hated to admit it, but things weren't all that exciting these days; Gohan and Trunks were often too busy to hang out with most of the time, as they both had jobs that demanded a lot of their time, and in the case of his older brother, he also had a family of his own to spend time with now, so he couldn't exactly just go calling on them whenever he wanted. His Father, Goku, was pretty busy a lot of the time as well, either training his new student Uub, or training himself with Whis off-world, out of Goten's reach...not that he could really keep up with the level of training Goku took on with Whis, anyway.

That didn't leave him with a lot of options. There was Piccolo, he supposed, but...much as he liked the Namekian - he was practically family - Piccolo could still be a bit of a stick in the mud sometimes, and strict besides. If he went to visit him, he knew he'd be in for some pretty harsh training, which might not be the worst thing in the world. It wasn't like Goten didn't believe in training anymore or anything like that, as he kept in shape. It was just, things had been peaceful for so long now, it was hard to get that motivated, as he wasn't as battle-crazy as some of the others.

"Hmm...what to do...what to do..." Goten thought aloud. At this rate, if something didn't come along, even going to see Mr. Satan and Majin Buu might not be so bad...

About that time the ringing of the phone could be heard indoors.

Bulla sat at her desk chair in her room, biting her thumbnail as she waited for someone to pick up. She knew the number like the back of her hand, with how close her family had been with the family of Son Goku. Really. But she'd only called specifically to speak with Goten a few times, and almost always on behalf of her big brother. This was not one of those times.

In fact, this was a time when she didn't want Trunks to know she was calling Goten. Because inevitably, Trunks would figure out why she was calling him. And she knew with no uncertainties that that he would not approve. Fiddling with a seafoam strand of hair, the girl waited. Just when she was sure no one would pick up and was ready to hang up the phone, a woman picked it up. "Hello. How may I help you?" Came the familiar voice of Goku's wife, Chi Chi.

"Hello Chi Chi. It's Bulla. I was hoping if you saw Goten, you could have him call me. I need some help with..." She thought for a moment. "Studying." She was sure if she said training, the word would get back to her mother, and then to Trunks. But she knew Chi Chi prided himself on how smart her sons were. "Please have him call me ASAP, or I have no chance of passing my finals!" She pleaded, putting on a good show. She could explain things to Goten in person, when they weren't being listened to.

Hearing the phone ring from outside, Goten turned to look over his shoulder as Chi Chi answered, and soon raised an eyebrow as he listened to his Mother's side of the conversation. Once the call had come to an end though, Chi Chi stepped outside as well to fill him in on the rest of the conversation, leaving him even more perplexed. Bulla needed his help with her schoolwork? Sure, he had done well in school in the past, thanks to his Mother's strict stance on studying, but if it was between him or Gohan, he would have picked his older brother to ask for help, as he had always been the smarter of the two of them.

Still, with as busy as Gohan was these days, he probably wouldn't have had the time, and with as proud as Chi Chi was to see someone call on him for help in this regard, Goten couldn't really talk her out of insisting that he help Bulla, so it seemed that he would have something to do today after all.

Chi Chi had already assured Bulla over the phone that she would send Goten to her as soon as possible as well, so it wasn't long before the second son of the Son family was on his way, flying along towards West City and Capsule Corporation - the home of the Briefs family - at relatively high speeds. In practically no time at all, he was touching down outside of Capsule Corp., and walking inside to let Reception know that he was here to see Bulla, who then buzzed her to let her know that he had arrived.

Bulla grabbed her backpack on receiving the comm notice. Looking herself over in the mirror, she looked like she was ready for the gym. But she quickly pulled a sweater on over it all, splashed with the Capsule Corp logo. Nothing was out place. Not one hair. Not her headband. She was fashion conscious and made sure she looked good. Even a little bit of lipstick.

Bounding down the stairs, she entered the lobby. "Goten! Heeeey." She said with a nervous laugh as she looked around to see that the coast was clear. She looked at the receptionist. "I'll be out studying." She informed before grabbing him by the arm, half dragging out the door. "C'mon Goten. We've got a lot of studying to do." She mused with just a bit much enthusiasm for studying.

Once outside she looked about. "We should go to the farthest coffee shop in the city," She said, looking about. "We need to talk but we can't here. But it is about studying, kinda." She said. As it were, with her being unable to fly it would take a bit to get that far away.

Goten smiled as Bulla came into the lobby and began moving his way, and raised his hand to greet her. "Hey, Bulla. How's it going?" he replied, tilting his head slightly as he noticed the way she was looking around. In the next instant though, she had him by the arm, and he was forced to stumble after her as she began pulling him towards the door. "W-We're not studying here?" he asked confusedly as they made their way outside.

Things only got stranger as Bulla insisted that they find a coffee shop on the far side of West City so that they could talk privately, and Goten took on a more bemused expression before slowly nodding his head. "Ok, I guess. Let's go." he said, getting the feeling that there was more going on here than he had originally thought. What was Bulla up to?

Starting to walk along, Goten occasionally shot curious glances Bulla's way, finding himself taking stock of her as well. She had always seemed to favor her Mother's side of the family rather than her Father's, which was likely a good thing, considering how pretty Bulma was, and the older Bulla had become, the stronger the resemblance had become as well, so naturally, she was becoming quite a looker herself. If she didn't already, she'd likely soon have the boys knocking on her door...at least until they met Vegeta and he scared them off.

Soon enough they had found a coffee shop that was pretty far away from Capsule Corp., and sat down at a table to have a cup. To anyone who didn't know them, they might have looked like a couple out on an afternoon date or something. At this point though, Goten couldn't really contain his curiosity any longer, and met her gaze with a raised eyebrow. "So...what's going on, Bulla? Why'd we have to come all the way out here just to talk about studying?" he asked.

Once the were seated, Bulla looked him over. He looked younger than he was. But so did her brother. It seemed to be a half-Saiyan thing, and one she hoped would be the case for her as well. Tossing her long, pin-straight hair over her shoulder, Bulla fidgeted for a second. She hoped he wouldn't report directly to Trunks, but she wasn't sure, and that made her a touch uneasy.

Ultimately she decided to just do it. "Alright. So... You know that since my dad went off world to train, Trunks has been really protective of me... And don't get me wrong, I love my big brother, and I'm thankful...." She took a breath. "But I can't really have a life this way. Dating, friends, adventures. I can't do any of that, like a normal girl does. So I want you to train me to fight, so that he'll let up a little. I mean, if I can protect myself, surely he'll stop being so over protected." She reasoned.

Clasping her hands together, she placed them in front of her face and gave him a little wink that had been known to get Bulla her way. "Pleeeeease Goten? You're the only one I could ask. Because dad won't do it. Neither will Trunks. Gohan is busy, and so is your dad... And Piccolo kind of scares me." She admitted.

Last edited:
Soon Bulla began to answer his questions, and Goten tilted his head as she explained her situation with her older brother, his best friend, Trunks. Trunks had always been protective of his baby sister, but it seemed that lately she was beginning to chafe under his watch, and was looking for a way to show him that she could take care of herself...which was where Goten came in. "You want me to train you?" he said, his expression showing his surprise at such an idea.

Scratching the side of his head as Bulla clasped her hands together and winked cutely in his direction, Goten thought for a moment before speaking. "Well...I don't know, Bulla. I've never really done anything like that before." he replied. There were several others that he would have recommended in his place, but Bulla had already described why they wouldn't work, so it seemed that he really was her only option.

"I guess we could give it a try." he said after some more thought. He couldn't really leave her hanging like this, after all. Besides, how hard could it be?

Her face lit up and she pumped her fist in the air. "Ah, Goten, you're absolutely the best! I promise, I'll work so hard. I'll make sure you never, ever regret it!" She chirped as she jumped up from her chair and more or less pounced him in a hug. She had always known Goten to be very reliable, and this time was no exception to that fact.

Pulling back, bulla flipped her hair back over her shoulder again, with a pleased grin. "You know, doing this, you're giving me my freedom back. I know Trunks means well, but I'm still young and I wanna have fun, ya know?" She mused. "With daddy busy so much, I know my big brother feels really pressured to protect mom and I. I love him for it but... I'm going stir crazy stuck home all the time." She said, clasping her hands behind her back. "Plus, if I learn well, I can help protect mama too, so he doesn't have to worry so much." She really was a sweet young woman. Often times her energy and love of all things girly made her seem a little vapid, but she really did think of others more than she let on.

"So when can we start? I'm ready whenever!" She said, a determined look coming over her features.

Goten smiled and laughed at Bulla's excitement, particularly as she leapt out of her chair and hugged him tightly in her glee, which certainly wasn't an unwelcome act, and he nodded his head as she spoke. "Don't worry about it. I'm happy to help." he replied. Perhaps she was being a bit overdramatic about it, but Goten could still understand her need to be more independent, and as she spoke of the pluses that learning how to fight could bring, Goten could see that there was a bit more to it than initially met the eye, which was commendable.

"Well, I guess we can start now." Goten thought aloud as Bulla asked when they could start her training, able to see that she was already good to go. He had already cleared the day for her, so it wasn't like he had anything else to do. "We'll need to find somewhere better than this. I guess you don't want to do this back at Capsule Corp. though..." He looked out the window for a few seconds, then shrugged. "It shouldn't be too hard to find a place if we fly, so let's get going." he continued, standing up from the table so they could pay for their coffee.

Bulla frowned a bit. "Uhmmmm... Goten?" She asked quietly. "I... Well..." She sighed. This was something of great embarrassment to her but, Bulla jumped, only to get a bit in the air and then immediately come back down. Sure, it was a decent jump, given her family's strength, but there was no take off. She scratched the side of her head, looking a bit bashful. "Dad didn't exactly teach me how to fly. He said for mama didn't need to know how, then why would I?" She said, shrugging her shoulder as she reached into her handbag and fished out her wallet. Not thinking, she finished out an amount that was easily enough for the price of their coffee, plus a really good tip.

"But look at the bright side! I don't have any bad habits you have to train me out of." She said rubbing the back of her head as she stuck out her tongue. "I should have probably warned you what kind of work this would be."

For a moment, Goten could only stare at Bulla in stunned silence as she informed him that she didn't actually know how to fly, more than a little surprised. How could that be? He wasn't sure what was more surprising, that Vegeta or even Trunks hadn't tried to teach her at some point, or that she hadn't simply figured it out on her own. Then again...Goten probably shouldn't talk, as he'd needed Gohan to teach him how to fly too. Finally, he laughed a little and shook his head. "It's alright. I mean...I wasn't really expecting that we'd have to get that...basic...but everyone's gotta start somewhere, right?" he replied as Bulla sheepishly spoke of how much work this might be.

Once Bulla had paid for their coffee, Goten gestured for her to follow him outside, where he quickly scooped her off her feet and into his arms before she could react. "It'll be faster if we just go like this, I think. Hold on tight!" he said with a grin just before taking off into the air and flying off. Soaring through the skies at a reasonable pace, mindful of not going too fast lest Bulla not be able to handle it, he looked off into the distance as they left West City behind, trying to find a suitable spot that they might be able to use. Eventually, he found some empty plains that would probably work, and slowly came in for a landing. "Ok. I think we'll be good here, for now." he said, setting Bulla down.

"Ok...so...where to start...?" Goten thought aloud, tapping his chin. "I guess at the beginning...? First, even if you don't know how to use it, you know about ki, right?"

Well that was abrupt. Suddenly she was in Goten's arms, and normally she wouldn't have felt so keen on something like this, because she always expected that human guys would do something clumsy and embarrassing, like drop her accidentally. But she didn't seem worried at all with Goten. If he could lift a bus, and take hits from Majin Buu, she had the sneaking suspicion that he could probably carry a slight thing like her with ease. Still, best to do as he said and hold on. Her arms slipped around his neck, firmly clasped there. Because of that her head was rather nestled against his neck.

But once they took off, she didn't she didn't seem concerned. In fact, she laughed as the wind whipped her hair about her face. Even at a slightly slower pace, she seemed to really enjoy flight. It was in her blood after all. More than anything, she couldn't wait to learn now.

When finally they arrived and she got to her feet her hair was windswept and tousled, but oddly enough for Bulla, she didn't seem to mind as she threw it back into a scrunchy. "Of course I know about Ki. Dad's Galick Gun doesn't just appear out of thin air, after all. She was Bulma's daughter, and smart as a button for it. She knew theory, but there was no replacing hands on training. "I almost was able to do a Ki blast once, but... It backfired at the last minute and I hurt my hands, so dad stopped training me after that." She admitted with a bashful grin.

For as conscious as Bulla usually seemed to be about her appearance, Goten might have expected her to complain or be unhappy about the way it had been tousled by the wind, but he was instead surprised to see her simply dress it back with a scrunchy. She must have been really serious about this, then. Her answer to his question about Ki wasn't surprising, but he had wanted to make certain, so he would know just how specific he'd have to get in this first lesson. "Huh. Vegeta must be more of a worrywart than I thought." Goten replied as Bulla sheepishly explained her experience, trying not to laugh at the thought of the fierce Saiyan Prince in such a state.

"Alright. Well, we won't start with Ki blasts, I think. Let's try something more...simple." he continued, coming closer to stand in front of Bulla. "Do what I do, and we'll go from there." he said, holding his hands out in front of his chest, palms facing one another. "Concentrate on your Ki; feel it in your body, in your core. Once you've got a sense of it...try to bring it to the surface, and form it into a ball between your palms." he explained, following words with action as he did just that, creating a ball of energy in the space between his hands. It was second-nature to him by this point, practically like breathing, but it might take some work on Bulla's part until she got the hang of it.

"It's important not to rush it until you know what you're doing, otherwise you might lose control, and it could backfire like it did on you before." he mentioned, parting his hands, letting his Ki hover above one of his palms.

Bulla watched intently, one hand resting on her hip as the more analytical part her brain watched what he did and tried to think about the biological process that went into it. She would never ever admit that she was like her mother, academically talented. People expected too much of you when you were smart. Still, her wits were handy in times like these, when she wanted to understand what she was doing.

"Alright. I won't get out of hand. I couldn't even apply makeup for the better part of a week after that backfire, so I'm in no hurry to let it happen again." She mused. Quickly, she ran through his words again in her mind, making note of each point of his explanation. Think about it. Okay. She could think. Concentrate. She could do that. Taking a few breaths to center herself, she kept her hands just bit apart, like his. Focus. She closed her eyes

Focus.

"C'mon... Focus." Bulla thought as she tried to find it in herself. She was just starting to feel it when she remembered her father's frustration that day, tainted with worry he'd never admit he had. How he'd told her she clearly wasn't ready to fight. But that she didn't need to because he and Trunks were there. She had just started started to form as sphere of energy, very small, but as she got more annoyed with herself because of those memories, the orb completely sputtered out like a dying fire. Popping one eye open she pouted. "Damnit..." She muttered, a touch uncharacteristic of the usually very feminine young lady. Glancing up at him she sighed. "I can try again." She said, determined.

And so she did. And once again those memories came back, and she remembered the feeling of being not as good as the rest, and it sputtered out again. She proceeded to do this what felt like a million times, and each time she'd get close, but it would falter by the end. She glanced up at him. "Don't laugh at me, kay?" She said preemptively. She was still young and still self-conscious. She was the daughter of one of the two best warriors on this planet, and maybe even the universe. So how was she not able to do this.

Letting his own Ki dissipate into the ether, Goten crossed his arms over his chest to watch as Bulla tried to do as he had, and summon up her energy. As she concentrated, the older Half-Saiyan could feel a stirring within her body that signaled she was in fact tapping into her Ki, but it weak, reflected in the small size of the sphere of energy she was able to create, and just as soon as it had appeared, it was gone, causing Goten to raise an eyebrow as Bulla grew frustrated. He nodded his head encouragingly as she decided to try again though, continuing to watch silently.

Try as she might though, and she certainly did, she just couldn't quite seem to manage it, leaving Goten a little perplexed. She was Half-Saiyan, not to mention Vegeta's daughter, of all people, so he would have thought that this would have been easy for her once she knew what to do. What was the problem? Not wanting to bring Bulla's temper - surely inherited by her parents - upon him, he shook his head as she told him not to laugh at her, and came a little closer. "It's alright. Not everyone is going to get it right away. I remember it took Videl a bit to put it together back when Gohan was trying to teach her, too."

"I think I've got an idea though. Let's try this." Goten said, reaching up and taking Bulla's hands in his own, pressing his palms against the back of her hands. "Ok. This time, I want you to concentrate on your energy and mine at the same time. Follow what I'm doing, and I'll show you how to do it." he said, beginning to channel his KI again, funneling it through Bulla's hands to show her the process. It was the same basic principle as someone guiding someone else through a golf swing...not that Goten knew anything about golf...but still, the logic should be sound.

Bulla seemed a bit relieved when he didn't tease her as she really was making honest effort here. All the thoughts he'd had, about her lineage, her blood. They were ones she was thinking too. If her father could do it, and her brother, and even a human, like Videl, then why couldn't she? Taking a few more calming breaths, she tried to remover herself from the headspace in which the memory of that day frustrated her so much. She needed to do better. To focus harder. She had to succeed or she'd never have her freedom.

Next she knew, he'd place his hands on the back of hers. Okay. Focus on both of their ki. Maybe with her mind set on both things, she wouldn't have the focus to lend to memories. Taking a few minutes she calmed herself, knowing that the blood of her mother and her father coursed in her veins and with it, their propensity for intense bursts of frustration and temper. Once she felt clear minded again, she focused. Somehow it was easier to focus on his first. It was like some endless wellspring compared to hers right now. But she didn't let herself get intimidated as she moved forward, focusing on matching what his was doing with her own. Alright. Slowly, and through a great deal of focus, she was able to form a little orb. And then she started focusing just on hers, and it grew bigger and bigger, whipping up a breeze that grew into a driving wind, that pushed her hair back away from her face with it's force and energy. Her father's child indeed.

Cracking her eye to take a peak she realized she was doing it. Okay. Maybe she was a hands on learner. Her eyes lit up once more as she watched the spinning, swirling globe of energy hover between her hands. "How much of this is you, and how much is me?" She ventured to ask, worried that she wasn't accomplishing any real progress.

Allowing her the time she needed in order to concentrate and find her focus, Goten waited silently as she closed her eyes, keeping his own energy flowing so that Bulla would be able to sense and follow it's example. It took a few minutes on her part, but eventually he was able to feel her Ki stimulating again, and he grinned as she was able to form another orb of energy, this one much more stable...at least at first, until it began to grow bigger and bigger, creating enough force that it kicked up a breeze that grew into a more fierce gale, whipping through their hair with it's force, though Goten stood unfazed by it otherwise. It was still a bit of a surprise though, giving Goten reason to think he might have written off Bulla's potential too quickly.

He met her eyes as she slowly opened them, and smiled more broadly as her eyes lit up upon realizing her success. "I'm only showing you how to guide and shape the energy. The rest is all you, Bulla." he said, keeping his hands upon hers to help her keep things steady. "This is good. You've definitely got what it takes. You just need practice, and soon enough you'll be throwing energy around with the best of us." he continued, giving her hands an encouraging squeeze.

The the squeeze of his hands egging her on Bulla's eyes were bright as she bubbled with excitement about her accomplishment. But she reminded herself to keep calm. She didn't want to get ahead of herself and get hurt again like the last time she'd done this. That in mind, she meticulously worked to retract her ki, the air around them calming as the orb sank smaller and smaller. Finally it was gone again, but this time by her own volition.

Her cheeks were flushed rosy by excitement and energy as she jumped up. "Goten! I did it! I did it! I know it's not much, but I didn't even get injured this time!" She chirped excitedly. As the gale had receded, various strands of hair that came loose from her scrunchy fell around her face. She was a mess. What's more, she was consciously aware that she was a mess. But in this moment, she didn't give a damn. They were out in the middle of nowhere, and she suspected Goten wouldn't judge her for not being perfectly styled and maintained. That wasn't what she was here for anyway. "I wanna try without you guiding me... But I'm really nervous. I don't wanna look uncool after being able to do it once." She laughed a bit.

Letting Bulla retract the ball of energy she had created on her own, Goten let his hands slip away from her own as she began to jump up and down in excitement, smiling as she celebrated a successful first step, so flush with glee that she didn't even seem to care that strands of her hair were slipping away from her scrunchy, giving her a bit of a disheveled appearance. He nodded his head as she decided she wanted to try again without his help this time, and he grinned while stepping back a bit. "Just remember how it felt, and you should do fine. It'll get easier the more you practice." he replied confidently, seeing little reason as to why Bulla wouldn't be able to pull this off, now that she had a better idea of what she was doing.

At least, that was what he hoped. If she ended up messing up somehow and blowing up that kind of energy on herself again...chances were it was going to hurt a bit. That would be hard to explain to her family. The last thing he needed was Vegeta and Trunks trying to clobber him for letting her get hurt.

Bulla nodded as she put herself back in the right frame of mind, so she needed to think about something else besides her father or her brother. As much as she loved them, they frustrated and distracted her. So she needed to think of something positive. And for the moment that thought was how grateful she was for Goten and his willingness to teach her.

Once the green haired girl was sure she was level and calm, she let all thoughts, the world around her, all of it fade away as she focused on the energy inside. Once again her orb of energy grew. But this time, even working independently, it didn't sputter and die. In fact, it kept growing, and she could feel the energy and heat kick up the wind again. The bigger it got, the faster the wind blew around her. Soon the scrunchy holding her hair back slipped loose, letting her long, pin straight hair whip around her face. Bigger and bigger it got. But now, the stopping was something she was having a problem with. Opening her eyes she did her level best to keep calm though the orb was getting unwieldy. "Goten..." She called out. "Don't panic, but I can't stop this. Please help." It was actually impressive how calm she was managing to keep given everything that was going on.

She knew the consequences if she didn't. It would hurt. A lot. But more than that, she didn't want her dad after Goten for something that was her own fault.

Bulla was able to succeed in creating another orb of energy - this time without Goten's guidance - and the older Half-Saiyan nodded his head in approval as it began to grow in strength, kicking up another powerful bout of wind. Soon it seemed as though it might be growing too strong though, which Bulla confirmed as she opened her eyes and called out for his assistance, unable to stop the energy on her own, and Goten began to come closer. "Alright. Just stay calm. I've got this." he said reassuringly.

Slowly reaching into the space between Bulla's hands and taking hold of the energy orb she had created, Goten stepped back, his hair billowing in the forceful wind created by the power of the energy. He could probably have negated the energy between his palms, and even have been fine if it happened to blow up on him, but the chance that Bulla might have been hurt wasn't one he was willing to take, so instead, he shot it up into the air, where it exploded in a bright and powerful flash.

"And that leads to our next lesson, I think." Goten said, dusting off his hands and turning back to Bulla with a grin. "Ki control. If you can learn how to control your energy properly, things like that won't happen. You'll even be able to fly." Tapping his chin in thought, Goten nodded his head. "Maybe that should be what we try next. If you can learn how to fly, then controlling your energy for other things shouldn't be too hard."

Bulla looked quite embarrassed to have to ask for help. She would never, ever admit it, but she was much like her father in that way. Incredibly proud, but her ego was easily wounded. She took a few breaths before focusing again, this time on his words as he explained what they should do next. As excited as she was to learn to fly, Bulla couldn't hide the small amount of trepidation in the back of her mind. What if she did well enough to get in the air, but not well enough to land, like she'd done well enough to make the orb, but not well enough to control it. The thought of falling sent a bit of a shudder up her spine, but she shook her head again, grounding herself back into reality.

"Right... I can do this. If Dad, and Trunks, and everyone else can do it, then surely I can manage it too." She said, trying more than anything to boost her self-confidence again. Quickly she threw her hair back up in that ponytail. The last thing she needed was to have her hair get into her face when she was in midair. "Alright. Tell me what to do. I'm all ears." She said, back to her typical energetic, determined disposition. When Bulla wanted something, she tended to get it, after all. And she wanted to have her independence.

"That's the spirit!" Goten replied as Bulla reaffirmed her belief in her ability to learn, glad to see that she wasn't letting a few setbacks dampen her mood. Waiting for her to get her hair back up in a ponytail and prepare herself, he nodded his head as she asked for the next lesson. "Hmm...alright...how to put it...?" he thought aloud, thinking back - way back - to when he'd learned how to fly from Gohan as a child alongside Videl. "Ah! Ok. It's like this. What you want to do is...take your Ki, and force it into the space beneath you, like you're pushing it down." he explained, demonstrating by slowly levitating himself off of the ground by a few inches.

"If you're doing it right, then something like this should happen." he said, hovering in front of her. "Think of it kind of like the way an engine pushes a rocket off the ground." Touching down on said ground once more, Goten folded his arms over his chest. "You try now. You don't need to go too high or anything to start. Even a couple of inches wouldn't be a bad start."

Bulla thought. "Aha!" She said, raising a finger. "Newton's third law in action. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. My ki pushes down against the earth, and the earth forces it back up. And I push down on my ki, and it pushes up on me!" She mused, not realizing she was going off on a tangent. When finally it caught up to her, what she was doing, she rubbed the back of her head and laughed bashfully. "Hehe, sorry about that. Sometimes I get a little bit know-it-all like... Which is stupid because you're like super smart, so I didn't really need to explain all that. You probably know it better than me." She admitted, scuffing the toe of her shoe along the ground.

"Regardless, I think I've got it. Maybe, anyway. Theory is one thing. Execution another." She mused as she closed her eyes and focused in again. Taking a few breaths to center herself, she moved to it. First, she started channeling her ki inwardly, focusing it at one spot. Gathering it together. She really had to focus so she didn't let it get out of hand this time. Then she started to moving it towards her feet. So far, so good.

"Hey... I think I'm doing it." Bulla mused to herself. Maybe she was a natural. Maybe this she could pick up quickly. She was starting to feel confident. And then, things went pear-shaped again. She was good up until the point she had to distribute her ki at her feet. She put too much on one side, not enough on the other, and was promptly thrown face first in the dirt by her lack of balance.

She pulled herself up, but she was absolutely mortified and her face hurt, and her expression got big and doe-eyed as embarrassed tears stung at the rims of her eyes. She was used to always being in control, and cool, and the girl everyone looked up to. And this felt awful by comparison. "I-I'm not crying or anything..." She muttered, using the excuse of wiping the dirt off her face to scrub the tears threatening to fall away, with her sleeve.

Bulla caught on to his explanation quickly - even going into further detail than he might have - and Goten chuckled as she realized what she was doing and apologized. "Don't worry about it. You're right though. That's exactly how it works." he replied, watching as she closed her eyes and began to concentrate. At first, things seemed to be going well; Goten could sense that Bulla was successfully channeling her ki, which was a good sign. As she began gathering it beneath her feet though, she must have done something wrong, and the older Half-Saiyan's jaw dropped as she was suddenly thrown face-first into the dirt.

"Whoa! Bulla, are you alright?" he asked as she pulled herself off the ground, looking as if she wished she were anywhere else right now. It was probably awfully embarrassing to mess up like this over and over for someone with Bulla's personality - someone so used to things going her way - so Goten crouched down before her and let his hand rest comfortingly on her slender shoulder with an encouraging smile.

"Aw, it's ok, Bulla." he said, noting the way she was trying to hide the fact that she was on the verge of tears. "Videl and I didn't get it right away either. It takes practice, so don't get discouraged. I'll stay out here with you as long as it takes, so let's try again, ok?"

Back
Top Bottom