Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dynasty of Blood (Alvis Alendran & Danidoo88)

Alvis Alendran

Supporter
Supporter
The world had changed.​
Heights previously undreamed of, with all the powers of ingenuity with technology, and the raw creative forces of magic working in concert, all had been lifted up. Great projects of purest vanity and pride built for nothing more than the fact that such thigns could be done. Spires of silver glass that towered a mile or more in height, the caps of mountains severed and lifted into the air to become flying city-states unto themselves, More and mroe heights of achievment came, raising up every race on hte earth to the greatest point any could recall.​
And then the world changed again.​
The war that broke out was unlike anything that anyone had expected. The great heights of technology and mogic were employed to their destructive potential. Stone colossi strode fromt he dwarven fastnesses as a spearhead to shatter all defenses, runes of power and protection burning on them to ward off resposes, onyl to have the met by the might of equally large mechanical monsters from the humans, and even the power of great beasst summoned from distant planes. Beneath these titans of war, the rest of the world fought to their greatest strength. Uncounted billions fought and bled and died, so many lost and unsung, unremembered, heroes of that time all lost to the fickle winds of war.​
When the world at last recoiled in horror at what they had wrought, finally seeking some peaceful resolution, the war erupted once more, but this time from a quarter unexpected. From hidden places int he world, emerged the combined forces of the Vampires, a legion of undead warriors with incredible strength and power, backed with a collective of nearly all of the highest points of both magic and technology. The advance was implacable, overrunning what strongholds had withstood the war, shattering the nations of hte world, breaking the back of the racil governments, subjugating those that surrendered. It looked as though the Vampires would take all of hte world for their own, until a disaster of their own struck.​
The king of their people, the grand unifying force of their people...simply vanished. All attempts to locate him failed, and the Vampires turned to infighting. Their advance stopped, their efforts turned inwards. After a century of internecine conflicts, the dust settled with the Vampires in a tense state of peace. A council, representing all of the major bloodlines of the Vmpaires now ruled, but even they knew that their rule was frail amongst their own people. Many on hte fringes of their territory lived as Frontier Lords or Ladies and did as they pleased, only paying lip service unless officials arrived. Because of this, and the failure to complete the subjugation, hope still burned in the hearts of mortals. Broken from their heights, some few sitll took arms, and hunted the Vampires, bring an edge of risk to the frontier.​
With Vampires and hunters and the last vestigges of hte free mortal peoples trying ot live as best they could, the world kept turning in the ashes of the previous age, and those remaining lived on under the Dynasty of Blood​

It hadn't been a good year on the village. Truthfully, it hadn't been a good decade on the village. Harvests had come adn gone, each one seeming to be just a little smaller than the last, just a little less rich than before. While thigns were never easy, it was becoming harder and harder. If things continues as they were, it was likely the village itself was going to collapse, unable to continue to feed itself. There was a chance that the trade city to the west might have what they needed to revitalize their cropland, but such would cost coin, and plenty of it, and that simply meant that it was unlikely to get done at all.

Joseph, patriarch of his small family shifted his stance once more, using his strength to clear another patch of small weeds. If only the weeds were edible, then no one in the village would ever need go hungry. The thought amused him a moment before he looked up at the faint sounds of something approaching his fence. It was late in the day, the sun hidden behind a heavy cloud cover, but still enough light to work by, and he needed every moment that he could muster.

The sound had come from what looked like a carriage. Horse drawn, a team of four horses yoked tot he construct, but any notion of this being from anywhere local was dispelled almost right away. The carriage wasn't made of any kind of wood, but it looked like it was crafted of some kind of dark glass or crystal, and the lanterns that adorned each corner were glowing, but not with fire, just a simple bright amber light that spread out from the carriage, even in the remains of hte day. At night they must burn bright enough to see for a mile. The horses themselves were nothing standard either. Each of them was of identical size, likely the result of some at least basic gene-coding to keep them within desired parameters. Deep black and there were clear patches on them that showed mechanical assists, making these beasts augmented by powerful technology that would grant them speed and strength beyond anything that mortal beasts would manage.

The driver of the carriage was a short man, barely five feet in height. Certainly human, he was dressed msartly, in well tailored clothes that spoke of skills and materials that would be outlandishly hard to find. He dismounted from the carriage, and gave a half-bow to Joseph by way of silent greeting, before opening the carriage door. The driver's master stepped out.

A tall man, near to six feet, and thin. There was clear definition to his face, with high cheekbones and expansive grey eyes. His hair was dark, but with faint flecks of silver in it. There was something almost...Elven in his bearing, the way each move seemed measured and graceful, but his ears were clearly rounded like a humans. The clothes this man wore were impeccable, a suit looking to be cut in a fashion that seemed almost Victorian in it's make, and partly covered by an expansive cloak. He stepped towards Joseph, seeming to flinch slightly as the clouds thinned a moment, almost letting hte light raise, but it was only a second, and Joseph figured that anyone spending all theri time in a carriage might be a bit touchy when it came to light.
"A fair afternoon to you good farmer." The man said quietly. His voice seemed ot be barely more than a murmur, but it carried clearly to Joseph's ears.
"A, uh, fair afternoon to you as well...my...Lord?" Joseph fumbled for the right choice of words. The man waved a pale hand, the flash of a golden ring on one finger catching the light from the lanterns behind him.
"Do not worry yourself overmuch good sir, I am Lord Gabriel Drakken, but you may simply call me Gabriel. After all, we are on your land, and I am far from where my name carries much weight." Joseph nodded at the words, appreciating that the Lord acknowledged that outside of his realm, his name carried very little weight.
"What can I do for a traveling lord? I can offer some hospitality, though I admit that it may be poor fare compared to what you might be accustomed to." Gabriel inclined his head.
"Though appreciated, I would not wish to be a burden on you or your family. I have been in the area several times this last week, and had noticed someone on you land. A young woman?" Jospeh nodded, though his stance shifted, now on his guard.
"I've a daughter." Gabriel looked past Jospeh, towards the small house that Joseph called home. There was a garden out behind it, and what looked to be the young woman that Gabriel had been asking after.
"I mean you and yours no harm good sir, none at all. As it would happen, I've need of a new servant in my manse, and had the thought of offering your daughter the chance of employ."

Jospeh cocked his head. Times were tough, adn thigns were hard. He loved his daughter, but with her working somewhere, it'd be one less mouth to feed. And if this man truly was a noble, he woudl likely compensate not only her, but the family as well. It could be a way for them to move forward.
"I...cannot say if she would be willing to do such." Jospeh said carefully. Gabriel waved his hand once more, that gleam of gold catchign the eye once more. Jospeh had seen plenty of false gold in the markets, even once he saw synthetically made gold. While beautiful, the syunthetic never quite compared properly to the shine and gleam of the real thiung, the way this one ring before him shone. This time, he also caught the moment of a red glow from it, showing it likely had an embedded ruby, something that would hold fantastic value.
"I understand good farmer! I would not wish you to make such a decision hastily, nor qithout consulting the woman herself! I employ only those willing and free in my home, for proper pay and care. Speak to the girl. If she is willing to come work with me, then so be it. I will return to see what might have come from this in a weeks time. As proof of my interest and commitment..." Gabriel slipped hte gold ring from his finger, and offered it to Joseph. The farmer gaped at the idea of taking it, but shakinly reached out, gently plucking it from Gabriel's fingers. The noble nodded, adn gave an inclinaton of his head. ...until we speak again good farme.r And know that should she not wish to accompany me, I will bear neither her nor your family ill will." With that, he stepped back into his carriage, the driver quickly closing the door behind him, and stepping back to the driving post. A moment later the horses were in motion, quiter than expected, the loudest sound a faint whine of mechanical parts moving.

Joseph stared after the carriage. He'd have sworn it was a dream, something he'd imagined out of a sense of too much monotonous work. But the gold ring was still in his hand, and the ruby in it was the size of his thumbnail. A fortune. He clenched his fist, and made his way back towards the house and garden. He'd have to speak to his daughter, and soon. He'd need to know her mind on the subject soon.

Why was everything so hard?

Tomas and Rachel screamed their little toddler screams as they splashed each other in the bath water that was growing more and more filthy by the second. Water rations on this side of the village were expensive and the family generally shared bath water to conserve what little they had. As the oldest, Cat would be the last to go. Her eldest brother first, since he brought in most of what little money they had as well as the food as a hunter, parents second, because they worked the fields and could sometimes bring back some of the harvest. Then the smaller children because they went to filth faster than the rest of them. As a daughter, she was a surplus. She could work and there was every possibility that she would marry well but she was not as valuable as a son. Old prejudices made it difficult for someone like her to find work and the need to keep her hands and body soft so as to make a more attractive bride cut out rougher work, which was more easily available to a daughter of a poor family. The need to keep herself pure cut out many other possibilities as well.

Cat sighed and wiped suds from her cheek as she tried to wrangle the toddlers. Her mother was working in the kitchen and her father was out weeding the garden so bath time was her responsibility. Besides, if she wanted her bath before the water went completely cold, she would need to get the job done quickly and the little ones always listened to her better than her mom. She was around more, after all. Not that it could be helped.

When the babes were finally washed and dried, she slipped out of her now sodden dress and pulled her long chestnut hair into a bun to keep it from the mucky water. There was a small spring she could use to wash it later, if she was desperate enough. It was far too cold for bathing but she handle the frigid water for the short time it took to clean her hair.

She had been about to step into the tub when her mother called to her from the kitchen. With a small curse, she withdrew her foot, which had already been submerged, and redressed before making her way toward her mother's voice.

"Yes, mama, what is it?" She asked, trying to keep her tone respectful despite her irritation of being interrupted.

"Oh, there you are!" Her mother breathed before giving her a critical once over. "There's a carriage pulling up in front of the house, girl, here..." she thrust a damp towel in her hands, "...wipe up your face and go out to tend the garden."

"What...Mama, why? I was about to take a bath..."

"Just do it. This could be your chance! Just think if whoever is in that carriage takes a fancy to you. Just think what that would do for our family!"

Cat gaped at her mother for a moment before she wiped her face clean as she was told. "Wouldn't it be better if I just took a bath really quick? This towel isn't going to..."

Her mother's face soured and her green eyes, the same striking shade as her own, narrowed. "Catalina DeGana, you get out there this instant."

With a defeated sigh, Cat handed the cloth back to her mother and stepped outside, shielding her eyes from the sudden glare of the sun for a moment before moving further into view. This was ridiculous. Why was it that she, all of a sudden, felt like a prized cow about to be sold at auction.

"Oh yes, you see Betsy over there? Yes, she is one fine heifer. Is she for sale, you ask? Oh no, I couldn't, I just couldn't. She's like family to me. " She muttered as she walked over to where her father had been weeding. "Well, that is a fair price you offer, a fair price but it breaks my heart to let her go. Oh, thank you! Yes that is very generous! I see you are a fair and just man." She yanked out weeds with perhaps a little more force than necessary and chucked them into the basket. "No, no, mama. By all means, sell me off to some unseen whoever in that hoity toity carriage with the fancy horses."

She sighed again and gave a discreet glance in the direction of the conversation. It wouldn't hurt to get a look at whoever she was suppose to be tempting. Not bad. Not old, at least. Gods! He was probably just asking for directions or something. This whole thing was ridiculous. What would a man dressed like that, in a carriage that cost more than the combined wealth of the village want with someone like her? She was pretty, yes, but she had a bitter disposition and a mouth that tended to run wild before her brain had a chance to reign it in. She was too thin and too...poor, she supposed. Nothing to dirty those expensive shoes over.

Stupid. This whole thing was stupid. Her mama must have gotten some of that special herb mixed in with her cigarettes.

She wished she could hear what they were sayi...Oh shit!

Cat quickly looked away when both men turned in her direction and she tried to act as if she had been working in the garden completely unaware that they had a visitor. Gods! How embarrassing. Well what did he expect?! If he's going to go around flaunting his riches in a small village like this, of course, he's going to get stared at. Still...

She kept her head down and focused on the garden until she heard an awkward clearing a throat. She looked up to find the weathered face of her father wearing a very comfortable expression.

"Sweetheart, we need to talk." Uh-oh. That couldn't be good.

"What is it, papa?"

He rubbed the back of his neck and looked away from her off toward the direction where the carriage had disappeared to. "That man...He...uh...Offered you a job." He held up his hand before she could protest. "Now, it's nothin' crazy. He just needs a cleaner, sounds like, maybe a cook too. He...uh..." Joseph slapped his hand against his thigh in frustration. "Damnit, girl, look at what he can offer us."

Cat blinked in surprise and sat up a little higher on her knees to get a look at what he held in his hand. She blinked at the bauble and then looked up at her father. "I haven't said no, papa. If it will help the family..." She let out a might gust of air. "That sort of work is bound to roughen my hands though. Mama won't be happy."

"Of course I will." And of course she had been eavesdropping. "This is a huge opportunity, Cat! We could always talk to the village healer before you go. Maybe they have some of that hand cream they supposedly got a shipment of a few weeks back and you can take your work gloves with you." She looked down at where her work gloves should be on her hands and scowled. "Have you been weeding with bare hands?"

Deciding that it was better just to change the subject, Cat thrust her hands behind her back and looked at her father. "I'll do it...for now. I mean, this whole thing sounds pretty crazy but, for now, I will try it. If things get weird though, I am not going to stay, no matter how much he pays y'all."

Last edited:
Joseph let a sigh of relief. He'd been prepared for something of an argument, but Cat had agreed to it! And with a minimum of fuss really, it was a victory in and of itself. She'd left herself a refusal though, and he didn't blame her.
“'course Cat. I won't try and force you to do nothin' you don't want to.” Joseph assured her. He shot a glance at his wife to forestall any comment from her on that front. He was not going to have his daughter carted off just because it was convenient. “He said he'd be back in a week. So...we just gotta make sure you're ready by then. Be good to maker a fine impression on the man when he meets you.” Joseph recommended. If all went well, then his family would be catching a break at last.

The week went by surprisingly quickly. There was a great deal of anticipation behind the arrival, and because of the need to make that all too important first impression, Cat's mother was adamant that she be clean and dressed as well as she could manage for this. Joseph watched the road, knowing that he was being faintly ridiculous, as he had no idea when exactly Gabriel was due to return. But there was nothing for it, everything needed to go right as far as he was concerned. He toyed with the ring that he kept in his pocket. The heavy weight of the gold, and the way it felt warm to the touch after being in his pocket constantly was somehow reassuring to him. Real gold. A real commitment. From a real noble. It was almost too much to process some days.

“He's here! I see the carriage coming!” Joseph's oldest son called from the far side of the house. Joseph was on his feet, letting out a breath. It was all going to come down to this moment he supposed. Or one coming up very quickly. The sound of the carriage coming up to the house was clear, and Joseph opened the front door, not wanting to wait for Gabriel to approach. It seemed more polite to meet him in front of the house.

Gabriel was stepping out of the carriage as Joseph approached, and nodded to him.
“It's good to see you again my Lord Drakken.” Joseph bowed his head as her spoke. Gabriel waved a hand at this.
“None of that good sir, I am on your land here. Until such a time as we are on my territory, I am simply Gabriel. I trust your time since our last meeting has gone well?” Gabriel asked, arching a brow.
“Very well my...very well Gabriel.” Joseph caught himself this time, and he saw the ghost of a smile grace Gabriel's features. The Lord didn't comment, but he did give a slight tilt to his head in acknowledgment of catching it. “Well, come right this way, and I'll introduce you to Cat! She'd like to talk to you before she agrees.”
“Of course, of course. Lead on.”

Joseph stepped lightly back tot eh house, the lights from it casting out into the darkening sky. Gabriel hesitated at the threshold of the door, and Joseph turned, seeing the man pause, and instinct kicked in.
“Well, come in! She's right here!” Joseph said brightly. Gabriel resumed walking ducking his head slightly to clear the low door frame. The squat nature of the house made him seem even taller than he really was, and his eyes inevitably fell to where Cat stood.
“A fair evening to you miss...I believe I was told you name was...Cat?” Gabriel asked her, offering a faint smile.

The week had been an utter nightmare!

From the moment Cat agreed to go work as a servant, her mother had swept her into a whirlwind of shopping, dress fittings, grooming and the fastest etiquette course in the history of the world. Perhaps that last one was an over exaggeration but honestly where had they even gotten the money for all of this? If she had known that they had been sitting on a gold mine all of this time, she wouldn't have bothered agreeing to this madness. And what was the point?! She was going there to be the man's made, for the sake of all the gods! She wasn't going there to become his bride!

She heaved a heavy sigh as she watched her mother pace her tiny room at a frantic rhythm, wringing her hands with so much vigor that Cat was sure they had to be raw by now. Madness. All of it. She should have just said no. The family had been happy before all of this and now all of them, excepting the children, were buzzing about like bees from a broken hive.

"Rena, sit down. You're making your daughter nervous and she needs to be at her best tonight!"

Cat's gaze flicked to the other side of the room where the real object of her annoyance sat. Judy Bartlett, one of the richest women in town, had somehow managed to invite herself and her spoiled brat of a daughter, Alana, to "see her off" as if they had ever even looked at her with anything other than scorn. No, it was a classic, though no less annoying, plot to get Alana married off to the rich gentleman coming to collect her tonight.

She looked back to her mother who was visibly shaking with frustrated anger. Even after all of her preparations and all of the torture Cat had gone through at her behest, Alana was still the prettier of the two....or at least the best styled. Then again, she could afford the more expensive fabrics and cosmetics and Cat highly doubted the girl had done her hair or dressed herself a day in her life. Cat had gotten some hair treatments and a trim but the styling had been the work of her mother and the millions of bobby pins than had been stabbed directly into her scalp. She didn't have any make-up...at all...and, though the dress she wore was the finest she had ever owned, the material was cheap and rough. Her hair was a brown where Alana's was blond, she was thin where Alana was curved, she had freckles and rough skin where Alana's was flawless and smooth. Still, she supposed in the raw looks department, she was about even with Alana, depending on what you were looking for.

Whatever the case, she definitely beat the girl in personality. Not that that really mattered.

She sighed again and looked down at her hands. Not of this mattered. She was going for a job. J.O.B. It was pointless to compare herself to Alana when she had no idea what the point of getting all dressed up was in the first place. The biggest thing that bothered her was that having the Bartletts present was upsetting her mother.

"He's here! I can see the carriage coming!"

Cat straightened at her brother's shout and tried not to grimace when her mother excitedly pulled her from her chair and prodded her into the living area. She also did her best not to snap at Judy when both she and her mother were elbowed out of the way so that the shrew could push Alana to the front of everyone. It was a near thing though, especially when Mrs. Bartlett stood directly in front of her so that she couldn't be seen immediately from the door. Her mother pulled her to the side to switch places before she could do anything though.

And then they were inside.

She blinked at the tall man as he stooped to enter their small home, then slid a glance over to where Alana was standing. If the girl had only been interested in the money before, now was an entirely different story.

Cat bit back another sigh and tried to keep from fidgeting. She wasn't nervous but she really didn't want to be in this position either. She would much rather be at the neighbors with her little brother and sister where she could go on with her life completely oblivious to the spectacle taking place in what could laughably be called their foyer.

She turned her attention back to the entrance and met the unusual gray gaze of the man, jumping in surprise when she realized that he was staring directly at her. She fought hard to hide an unexpected blush and cleared her throat.

"Um...Yes...I mean, my name is Catalina but everyone calls me Cat." Gods Above, did she really just say that? How incredibly cliché. She cleared her throat again. "What shall I call you...um...my lord?" Why had she even been born?

"My lord, my name is Judith Bartlett and this is my daughter Alana." Judy cut in and for once Cat was grateful for it. "We just wanted to say how generous it was of you to offer employment to a family that so desperately needs the income." Or perhaps not so grateful. "We only wish there was something we could do to thank you for your kindness." Like offer your daughter's hand in marriage.

Ugh. Why had Cat even bothered? Why had her mother? They both should have known the second Judy made it clear that they were going to be at this meeting that they would take over.

Gabriel spared a glance at Judy, his gaze shifting, hardening slightly at the interuption, adn he cocked his head, as though seeking to rememebr some obscure detail from another time.
"Bartlett. Of Clan Bartlett? That contained Jeremiah Bartlett?" He asked her, his tone soft, and yet it still seemed to carry to every ear in the room. Judy bowed her head deferentially to the Lord.
"Yes my Lord, he was much loved by our family." She spoke with just a hint of pride,the appropriate response to show some pride, but not so much as to appear as though she was bragging or felt her ancestor was more important than the company before her. It was a fine play indeed, adn if the Lord knew her ancestor, it was a way to better insinuate themselve with him.

"I am familiar with him. He served with a member of my own Clan in the Border Wars." Gabriel said calmly. Judy had a faint smile on her face. "He betrayed my clan to our enemies, and left of mine to die at our enemies hands. It is good you are here. I believe I intend to make arrangements for the Weregild owed my Clan for past grievances. Until such a time, I would appreciate you removing yourself from my sight until called for." At the words, Judy looked shell-shocked, and Joseph made a faintly strangled sound of surprise. Gabriel turned back to Cat.

"As to your question young miss Catalina, until such a time as you may choose to enter my employ, you may address me as Gabriel. If you do choose to work for me, you may call me My Lord if you are feeling formal, else a simple 'Sir' shall suffice quite adequately I do believe." Gabriel explained, and took a few steps closer to her. He moved smoothly, his cloak hiding his boots, and it made him appear to be gliding across the floor. He extended a hand out to her, very gently grasping hers to plant a gentlemans kiss on the back of her hand. "I am most pleased to make you acquaintence."

Jospeh thought it seemed to be going well once Judy had been utterly floored by the result of her attempt at politicking. He couldn't blame the woman for trying, it would have been a veritable coup for her daughter to marry inot the rich nobility, but it seemed that this meeting was not to go in her favour, adn she might find herself far more bereft of the finer thigns in life if Gabriel decided to press the suit of Weregild. Families had been ruined for less in the past, and a Weregild payment was one of the few thigns that was held universally in high regard, whether the person be dirt poor peasant or royalty. There had even been claims made against Vampire rulers after the war had ended, adn such being had paid an agreed upon sum for the lives they'd taken.

Still, he had to keep his wits about him, and make sure nothing else went completely awry. With most of his children elsewhere, it made it very unlikely that there would be a catastrophe in that regard, adn Gabriel did seem to be very respectful of Cat, which in some ways might have surprised him. He clenched his fist around the golden ring that he'd received from Gabriel as insurance, adn prayed to every God he could think of, and a few more besides. He only wanted this one thing to go the way it needed to go for the good of his family. Just this once.

Cat had been prepared for many things. For instance, she had been prepared for the nobleman to sweep Alana off of her feet and carry her away to his large and well appointed mansion where he would begin the slow (ha!) or otherwise seduction. She had been prepared to watch as the two fell madly in love whilst she withered away into an old maid, cleaning house for them and their horde of spoiled brats for the rest of her days. She had been prepared for Alana to rub it in her face when the nobleman wasn't looking. She had prepared for her mother and father to be disappointed after all the hard work her mother had put in to making her presentable.

She had not prepared for the man to put Mrs. Bartlett in her place.

When the nobleman had started off with an inquiry about some unknown family member of Mrs Bartlett's, Cat had been sure that everything she had feared would come to pass. She had even winced both internally and visibly at the mention. She had almost been able to feel her mother's dismay from behind her and she felt her heart breaking for her.

But!

He hadn't taken Alana into his arms and declared his undying love to her, as Cat had imagined. He hadn't claimed to have owed this distant family member a debt he could never repay but that he would do his best by taking Alana for his bride.

No, he had told that despicable woman exactly what she could do with her proud family line and now the room was so silent that she could hear the house settling around them.

Cat clamped her lips together and turned her head slightly to hide her grin. Then coughed when the burning in her chest from the suppressed laughter became too much and a small laugh escaped.

Seemingly, that had been enough to wake Mrs. Bartlett from her shocked stupor and she turned her beady glare on her for just a moment before railing against the man. "Well! Well, I have never been spoke to in such a manner! You just do that Mr. Whoeveryouthinkyouare! I am quite certain that my husband's solicitor will be more than happy to meet with yours concerning the distasteful slander you have spoken against our most noble of families!" She huffed and shoved past Cat's father and brother to the door, dragging a still stupefied Alana after her. "I think I will remove myself, sir, lest I be further insulted by our lessers. Come along, Alana!"

Cat had been so focused on the outburst that it took her a moment to realize that the man had completely ignored the two women and had, instead, chosen to address her. She stood frozen as to took a few steps closer to her and she felt her heart slamming a staccato against her rib cage. Why? Why was she so excited? Gods Above and Below, you'd think she had never seen a man before. Of course, no man had ever stood up for her so spectacularly before...not that that was why he had done it. Stupid her. Why would a man like that...

She gaped, actually gaped when he picked up her hand and kissed it. Oh my...

She cleared her throat and took her hand back with a small blush. "It's nice to meet you...Gabriel." She blushed again for only the stars knew why. "If you'll follow me, I believe my mother has prepared tea. You must be terribly thirsty after your journey." And his speech to Mrs. Bartlett but she thought that that would be best kept to herself. Instead, she turned and began walking toward their meager sitting room, praying that they had cleaned well enough that they wouldn't insult him.

Gabriel made a note of Judith's response, the way that she seemed to try and salvage some standing from her response, adn teh way she stormed out. He closed his eyes a moment, and then opened them again, trusting that all he needed to accomplish would be taken care of. It would not be swift, but it would be absolute. And it had no bearing whatsoever on what he was doing now, and forced his mind back on task.
"Do lead on," He said by way of agreement. She wasn't wrong, there was a thirst from his travels, but it wasn't something that he thought tea was likely to slake. But that was an issue for another time.

It had been some time since he'd been in a house like this for a purpose like this. But it did him some good, reminding himself how the majority of people lived in this area. He had little doubt that after a few months of receiving hte stipend for Cat's service her family would be easily on hte rebound, and likely looking for better accommodations for themselves. The sitting room was...well, he supposed it was a room that fulfilled it's purpose admirably in it's own way. Few families this far out in the villages would have something as elaborate as a drawing room or parlour. That was not a failing on their part. Simply the facts of their lives. He saw the table witht he tea on it, and opted not to take the seat at the head of the table, as this was not his home. Still, he had one other task that needed doing. he stepped to a chair, adn slid it back, making the gesture for Cat to be seated in the chair, the classic gentleman's gesture for a lady.

It was true that there would be few that might do this for someone that they intended as a servant, but Gabriel saw no reasons not to indulge in such a thing. It was a rare thing to be able to actually put his long years of etiquette traing to use. And if Cat was impressed, or at least pleased with the level of defference that he showed her, well, so much the better. Even as a servant to him, she was not property, simply a person in his employ. And as such she would deserve a modicum of respect from him. To disparage those that might serve him would not accomplish anything that was useful. he slid the seat in once she had sat down, and then moved to the chair across from her, giving them both the chance to look at one another without anything in the way. He let his cloak drape over the back of the chair, glad it would only come to the bottom of his shoulder baldes, and sat himself down. His cloak seemed to all but swallow the chair up, but once he was seated, he offered the hint of a smile to Cat. Here they were, and he knew that this interaction would likely be the one that would likely cement whether she came to work with him or not.

The driver out front watched as Judith and her daughter were leaving, and took note of them. He went rigid a momenta thought intruding into his mind before passing. he shuddered. It had happened many many times, but he never quite got used to it. He opened the small document case that was kept with the carriage, usign the lamps of the carriage to quickly fiull in what needed before sealing it with Gabriel's seal, a symbol of a rampant dragon. He hopped off the carraige, and jogged after the women.
"Your pardon madam!" He called, stepping closer to her, adn extending the sealed document. "You mentioned that you intended to have a solicitor examine your case against my master, so it may benefit you to give him this." He explained. A simple enough task to accomplish.

Cat lead him to the sitting room at his acquiescence and hoped that she hadn't made an error in inviting him further into their home. She had only gotten the briefest of etiquette lessons and a lot of them had involved having staff to do things like give tours or show the visitors into a salon or some such where she would be waiting to receive them. Well, she supposed that showing him to the sitting room on her own could be an breech in etiquette after all then. After all, he was looking at potentially hiring her on as a servant, right? Was this not a servant's duty?

She was so lost in her mental anxieties that she hadn't noticed him pull out the chair for her and she stared at it for a moment in surprise before looking up at him in question. She was...he was...this wasn't...She swallowed hard and then took a seat in the chair that was offered, careful not to sit all the way so that he could push it in for her as well. This was an interview for employment, wasn't it? Had her father somehow misheard and Gabriel wanted her for something else?

Cat eyed the man as he removed his cloak and took the seat opposite her. She wouldn't be entirely opposed to the idea, she decided. Well, not that any woman in her position would turn down the advances of a nobleman regardless. Still, he was attractive and not terribly older than she was. He seemed to be kind too. At least he had been to her so far.

Then again, he could just be putting on a friendly front to lull her into a false sense of security. What if she agreed to whatever he proposed and he turned into some abusive prat the second he got her alone? What if he wished her to...to serve him in more ways than just cleaning his home?

And how did she feel about that?

She shook her head to rid herself of the ridiculous thoughts plaguing her brain and offered Gabriel a small smile. "I apologize for our neighbors. They were curious about your visit and decided to help me get ready this afternoon. I'm not very familiar with the rules of higher society so they were giving me pointers." Lies...all lies...but she thought it would be more appropriate to lie in this situation than to badmouth someone that wasn't in the room. She just didn't know! By the gods, she was just going to be herself. All of this fakery was going to give her a headache.

She cleared her throat again and sighed. "This may be improper of me, and I apologize, but why me? There are at least twenty girls in this village that would jump at the chance to work for you but you sought my father out to ask for me. I don't recall having met you before, si...Gabriel, nor is face familiar to me so why me?"

"Catalina!" Her mother scolded from the doorway before she swooped into the room and poured them both a cup of tea. "You really must forgive her, my lord, she is not accustomed to speaking to one such as yourself."

"Mama, could you please bring in those wonderful tarts you made this morning? I am sure that, Gabriel would love some." Cat asked sweetly, momentarily distracting her mother as she bustled off to the kitchen. Then she turned her attention back to Gabriel. "What exactly would my job entail, should I accept your offer of employ?" It was ludicrous to think that she wouldn't accept but she had to at least make a show of considering it! Her family needed the money and, even if the man did turn out to be a monster, she would do just about anything to see them taken care of.

Mrs. Bartlett froze before slowly turning her head to look at the weasel of a lordling's driver with such a look of disdain that it practically verbalized it's disgust with the man without her having to utter a single word. "What could you possibly have in your possession that we would want?" She sniffed as she glared down at the document in question.

Gabriel allowed himself a smile. There was spirit there, the kind he appreciated.
"I have no doubt that you are right, that there would be many young women taht would jump at the opportunity to serve me. And they woudl no doubt performt he task well, and be the perfect fawning servant, awaiting their instructions to follow to the letter. I do not seek fawning sycophants as servants. I look for a person that is capable of not only folowing instructions, but perhaps even anticipating needs before they arise. Someone able to think for themselves, to discover ways of doing things better. If I am to be surrounded by people on my estate, then I would prefer to surround myself with people that are capable of a conversation at times." He explained calmly.

He opted not to comment on her neighbours. It wasn't her fault, responsibility, and had no bearing on their arrangement. If there was an arrangement to be reached at all. He still had some hope on that front.
"Your duties would be determined by my butler, as he oversees the servants. He would see what aptitudes you possessed, adn ensure that you had tasks that complimented them. You should know within my household, that servants are not asked to do anything they find truly objectionable, and that there would be no...demands placed upon you beyond those that would be expected of a servant. I do not abuse my position, nor do I consider a servant to be property. They trust me to provide for them, and protect them. I take such trust very seriously." He explained. There was a slip in his 'nobleman' countenance, allowing his features to soften, a smile touching his features.

The driver allowed himself a small smile. He gestured his hand witht he document again, calling attention back to it, that she should take it from him.
"Sicne you so cordially inquired madam, what I carry with me here is a Writ of Iron, a summons as it would be to contest my Lords claim to weregild, since you seemed inclined to fight his claim. The dispute will be heard in Aklontarus, the City of Scholars, were the Court of Blood still holds it's sway to hear disputes. You may consider the matter formally filed against you and yours, and may plead your case before the court, or have your soliciter do so." He explained. "But it is a requirement that all accused face their accusers in the court."

The Court of Blood was one of the only cross regional justice systems, and securing a meeting with them was a fantastically expensive process. To have an open ended Writ of Iron, a person could all but buy the entirety of the village for such a cost. But ignoring hte Court of Blood was not an option many would pursue, since if an appointment was missed, then the Court sent it's enforcers out, typically a squad of a dozen lesser vampires descended from a warrior bloodline to apprehend the offender and bring them in chains to the Court to receive summary judgement.

Cat blinked and tilted her head to the side to consider him. That was certainly a better offer than what she could expect anywhere else. Even if she got a job in town, she doubted that she would be given the opportunity to speak her mind or even make suggestions for improvement. Actually, she doubted that she would find a job where she wasn't harassed to do things other than what she was hired to do difficult as well, if she was being honest. Yet this man offered her both of those things. He seemed to want her to have a mind of her own and he had guaranteed that she wouldn't be asked to serve him in any way she didn't find agreeable.

It had to be too good to be true. Surely he was just trying to get her to agree to work for him. Then he would spring some nefarious trap on her once she was in his clutches far far away from home or anyone that would offer her aid.

Still, he had offered her father a lot of money. She thought about her little brother and sister and how they needed new clothes before winter. She thought about her mother's standing in the village and how poorly some of the other women treated her because she was not wealthy. She thought about her father and the old rusty tools he worked with on a daily basis just to put food on their table...

She had been about to agree to his terms when her mother bustled back in with the tarts and Cat let out a mixed sigh of relief and exasperation.

"Is there anything else I can get for you, my lord? Is the chair to your satisfaction? I think we have some pillows somewhere!" Her mother began prattling on and Cat hid a grin behind her cup of tea. "I've packed your trunk, dear. " She said in an aside to Cat, causing her to choke on her tea and cough.

"Mama," she rasped, "I haven't even agreed to anything."

"Oh fa, this is just a formality and you know it. You were going to take the job the second your father told you about it." Her mother waved away her protest like she would an annoying fly.

Cat simply pinched the bridge of her nose and prayed for patience, forgetting that Gabriel was at the table entirely.

Judith's face paled further and further as the driver spoke and she looked from the document to her daughter to the house and finally to the driver again.

"How could you possibly know what I said in there?" She had a feeling that she knew though. With the nobleman's obvious wealth, his mention of the war and clans and now this Writ of Iron, she had a pretty good idea of what sort of creature he was.

Her mouth formed into a thin line and she started back toward the house, determined to warn her neighbor of the potential threat to their daughter. She may not like them but she would not see one of her own tainted or worse by such a wicked beast.

While Gabriel knew that Cat could handle herself admirably in most cases, he knew that many would find it difficult to deal with an overly enthusiastic parent. And there was only one thing he could do.
"Your hospitality is much appreciated, and your dedication to my comfort. Though it may strain propriety, and risk my being rude, I must say that I only accept those who make the choice to work for me free of any coercion. Well meaning as it may be, it must be her choice." Gabriel observed. "If I might have another moment with her alone?" He asked her gently. here was a moment of uncertaintty, but Cat's mother was smart enough to know that she might in fact be jepordizing the opportunity at play by being on hand. Joseph appeared briefly to smile at his wife, and leave the room with her, the two of them muttering to one another as they went.

"I apologise if I overstepped my bounds, but I did mean what I said. I don not want you to feel pressured to do this thing. I will bear you and yours no ill will." He allowed himself a smile. "And your father may keep the ring I gave him as surety. So your family will be better off than they were regardless. But I do think you would do well in my employ."

There was a loud, distinctive clicking sound coming from the driver, and he leveled the now drawn pistol at Judith's back.
"My lord and I have been patient with you madam, but I assure you that such patience is nearing it's end. You intrude upon my lords business. You presume your status to be even remotely close to his own. You parade your daughter before him in hopes of ensnaring his attention. You refuse his call of weregild. And now you mean to further interfere in his business. If you step another foot towards that house, I swear by the Starless Night, I will see you dead for your offense, and your daughter's servitude in payment for weregild. Test me not madam, but take the Writ adn be gone from this place." He warned her, his voice cold, precise, a firm tone of utter seriousness and conviction. There was no doubt he would make good on the promise, and he swiftly shifted his other hand around to aim a similarly cocked pistol to Alana.

"Do we have an understanding this night?" He asked in that same tone.

Cat looked up when Gabriel spoke and was torn as to whether or not she should be grateful for his intervention. On one hand, her mother was what most mothers were to their children. Embarrassing. On the other hand, if her mother did leave, she would be left alone with the lord and his shiny offer full of crazy promises just begging to be accepted despite her trepidation. Besides that, how can a man say that he wanted an outspoken woman for a servant and then discourage another from speaking her mind? This reasoning brought back her earlier suspicion that this whole offer was nothing more than a ruse and that, by accepting, she would be willingly enslaving herself...or worse.

Rena's mouth snapped shut and she covered it with a hand after the lord spoke then smiled and shook her head. "Oh no, mi'lord, I completely understand. It's just this old mouth of mine. I never did learn when to keep it shut." She chuckled to herself and then willingly followed her husband out of the room, leaving Cat to stare after her parents in shock.

"Well, that was well handled." Cat smiled wryly. "She doesn't normally back down so quickly. I suppose it's different when one has money and status rather than just some bloke from the village. Papa stopped having his gatherings here because his friends didn't like her ordering them about." She laughed and shook her head. "Mama always had them doing repairs to the house or helping in the garden when all they wanted to do was sit around and talk about the old days with a mug of ale."

She sobered when she again remembered that she sat before a nobleman. "This is the only home I have known. How far away do you live? Will I ever see my home again?" She didn't think that the answer would sway her either way in her decision but she wanted to know exactly how final that decision would be.

Mrs. Bartlett froze when she heard the familiar cocking of a gun and her face drained even further of color, if that was even possible. Was it worth her life to give that retched family a warning? No, she supposed not. With all of this ridiculousness with the Writ, she would need to make sure that Alana married well if they were going to stay in good standing. Alana was a beautiful girl and she had been raised as a lady should be raised. However, Catalina was also very beautiful and she had it on good authority that she had quite the audience whenever she went to the stream to bathe, slutty heathen that she was. If she was swept away by the retched beast that stalked her in her own home, well, Alana would no longer have competition, would she?

Very slowly, the woman turned around and faced the driver turned gunman. She frowned when she saw the second gun aimed at her daughter but she stiffened her back and raised her chin in defiance.

"We have an understanding, boy." She bit out with as much venom as she could muster at gunpoint and held out her hand for the Writ.

Gabriel allowed himself a faint smile at Cat.
"Your mother is a formidable woman, something to be admired. And I admit to hoping that my status might be a deciding factor in my speech to her. I do not wish to offend, or have you believe I think poorly on your mother. But I did mean what I said about not wishing you to feel coerced into this. Not even by those that might wish well of you." He explained. He had a brief flash of vision, a moment of warning. An altercation outside, being handled, a brief update from his driver, something to file away later. He let his eyes drift closed a brief instant, letting his attention shift for that moment. WHen his eyes opened again they were fixed on Cat once more.
"My estate is some distance from here, that is true. A considerable travel in fact. But you would be working for me, not indentured to me. Should you wish to see home and family once more, I would certainly permit such, and lend some aid in making such a trip happen. I do have some limited business dealings in this area. If I were to embark on such, there would be little issue in taking you with me, giving you the chance to see your home and family while my business is conducted." He explained. It was partially true, there were opportunities in this area he could become involved in, but he hadn't commited tot hem yet. Though if Cat agreed, he could easily make that the truth. Ventures in this area would help him expand his holdings, and such would be beneficial to him in the end, not just her.

The driver hardened his gaze. he stepped in, to hand the writ not to Judith, but to her daughter. He looked Judith in hte eye, adn just for a moment his eyes shifted from their normal soft brown to a inky black. He flipped the pistol around in his hand and drove that into Judith's midsection hard enough to send her to the ground. He flipped the gun back around, aiming at her head, the other gun out and back at her daughter.
"Know your place in this world peasant, else your better will be inclined to show it to you. And next time it shall be with some finality to say the least. Now remove yourself from my sight, and pray that should we ever meet again that my master will demand my propriety." he stepped away fro her, holstering his weapons, adn walking back to the carriage. He e felt his heart rate slow once more, calm coming over him. His master would be unhappy with his choice of solutions, but something had to be done, adn there was no one else to make it happen. He climbed to his post, and took his seat, waiting for his master to emerge with word.

Cat blushed at the compliment to her mother. Well, perhaps it had been a bit of a backhanded compliment but she appreciated it all the same. She was a formidable woman and she was on her best behavior at the moment. Gabriel had no idea what the woman was like when she wasn't under scrutiny. Still, Cat was surprised that she had reacted the way that she had. Even in front of company, she usually didn't let up so fast when she was after something and her mother had wanted her to go away with this mysterious stranger even before she had heard about the job offer.

"I am my mother's daughter, si...Gabriel." She gave a small self deprecating laugh. "Though I am not sure that that is always a good thing. Thankfully, I think I inherited more of my father's temperament than I did hers. Even so, I am not easily swayed by the words of others." Most of the time, she added silently. Her mother was hard to refuse when she got to nagging.

Cat thought about what he had said and chewed her bottom lip as she considered everything. If she had thought that the offer sounded too good to be true before, it definitely did now. Who looked after servants like that? What noble would go out of his or her way to make sure that some scullery maid...or whatever title she would hold...could go home to see her family? What noble would send his own carriage along with his company to return her home? For that matter, why was she not speaking to a butler or something? Why had he come all this way to ask her himself and why did he keep sweetening the deal? It was all very suspicious.

For her family though..."Okay." She paused then sighed and shrugged. "Okay, I will accept your offer of employment....On the condition that you will pay my family three years wages if anything happens to me while I am in your service." There. She could live with that. She hoped.

Judith held the driver's gaze all the way up to the moment that his fist made impact with her stomach.

With a very unladylike grunt of pain, she doubled over and dropped to her knees.

"Mother!" Alana cried out in alarm before abruptly snapping her mouth closed when the gun was suddenly pointed back in her direction.

Judith gasped for breath and then twisted her head awkwardly to look up at the driver. Just before he had struck her, she had noticed the shift in his eye color. Another beast! How had this happened? What were these foul creatures even doing in their village?

She groaned as she climbed to her feet and allowed Alana to put her free hand around her waist to help her as she limped away. The clever demon had won for now but she would see to it that both he and his master paid for this treatment. She didn't know how yet but she would make it her life's mission to see them staked and left in the sunlight to fry.

"It is often the the best outcome, to find yourself with the best traits of ones parents. And your parents seem fine people indeed to draw from." He admit with a small smile of satisfaction. Having heard of her parents in his travels to the nearby village, and having seen her himself all of this had made him pursue this current course. And thus far he ahd not been dissapointed by his efforts.​
Gabriel pursed his lips at her condition. It wasn't out of hte realm od possibility, but it was a somewhat exorbitant amount for a new servant. He did want ehr to accompany him, but he could have it that he simply rolled over on her every wish. There would be a strange difficulty between them if he allowed that.​
"One years wages. With an additional six months wages added for each year of service to me, to a maximum of five years." he countered. It was still a generous offer to be certain, but more inline with a normal contract that might be struck up between people in such circumstances. Frankly it was further from an agreement between noble and commer and closer to an arrangement between noble houses. A lower end contract between nobles, but still.​
Persistance, it was still ther ein her, adn he had expected something of a counter offer to his statement. It was a firm middle ground, adn he could respect that, and ne nodded to it.​
"Done and done. Acceptable terms indeed. I shall have the final draft of the agreement drawn up. I will return tomorrow evening, Allow you some time to finish your preparations, and to say your farewells." Gabriel stood up, bowing his head in respect to Cat before making his exit, thnking her parents for their hospitality as eh passed.​
As he returned to the carriage, he looked to his driver.​
"Is it resolved?" He asked.​
"Yes my lord. She has been suitably chastised." Gabriel paused.​
"What has she learned?"​
"Little. And certianly nothing that coudld be proven. After allmy lord...she is now the jilted and hurt. She would say anything to discredit those that have wronged her." Gabriel sighed.​
"Circumspection would have been rpeferrable, but trhe results are what matter most. We return on the morrow. Take us to the latover to await our return." The driver nodded, and once his lord was seated comfortably, he set the carriage to motion.​

- - - - - -
Tge following evening hte carriage was rolling towards the house once more. Teh night was clear, stars shimmering in the sky. The sun was gone by now, Gabril making his approach comforatbly, making no secret of his coming. There was a sense of excitement from Cat's siblings, the coming of this lord once more, coming to bring them wealth adn to give Cat work and a better life. They had been struggling for so long it was hard to believe that thigns had come this close to coming right. Jospegh was fingering hte ring that he'd been given, the surety of purpose from Gabirel. It was too fine a thing to keep, but he did hope that Gabriel might bring something of a down payment to ensure that this relationship came to a good start.​

Cat was pleased by the compliments paid to both herself and her parents. This noble was confusing and not at all like the pompous nobles who had rolled through the village in the past. He seemed like a genuinely nice person and he had done everything in his power to make her feel comfortable during this negotiation, full of smiles and compliments. Perhaps that was why he still made her feel uneasy. He was behaving in a way that wasn't typical for his class and it made her suspicious.

Deciding that she was being silly and paranoid, she didn't put up too much of a fight with the new agreement that he laid out. He was being incredibly fair and, even though she was sure that she was annoying him by making demands of him when he was offering her a chance of a lifetime, he was being very patient...Especially when they both knew she was going to take the job whether he agreed to her terms or not.

The fact that he was coming back for her the next day was a little startling. It made sense, when she thought about it, but somehow she had thought that she would have more time to say goodbye. It was fine though. She had been preparing her goodbyes for a while now and she had wasted enough of Gabriel's time already as it was.

--------------------------

So, the rest of the night and following day, she spent as much time as possible with her family and the few neighbors her family considered friends.

It had been a huge surprise when some of the neighbor girls presented her with a present box that contained three almost brand new dresses and several other essentials that were equally as hard to come by. Her father and brother had gotten her a pair of sturdy shoes and a new hairbrush and Thomas and Rachel gave her a pretty rock (Thomas) and Rachel's favorite dolly to keep her safe.

Suffice to say, when the carriage came up to the house that evening, she was a little teary eyed, though she had managed to keep from actually crying. Half the bloody village had turned out to see her off and she would not cry in front of them if she could help it.

Opportunity of a lifetime.

Opportunity of a lifetime.

She took a steadying breath and awkwardly stood beside the carriage with her trunk of belongings, not really sure what she was supposed to do. Did she just...get in? Was she to ride up front with the driver? Perhaps she was supposed to walk alongside? Where did she put her trunk? In the back where the noble's trunk would go or...well, it was too banged up and dirty to put on top of such an ornate carriage...or anywhere visible really. Did she curtsy? She was in his employ now, or she would be once she signed the contract. Better safe than sorry. Did she wait until he opened to door? Should she open the door? Gods above! Why was this so confusing?

She bit her lip and gave the driver a pleading look for assistance. Surely he wouldn't mind at least giving her a hint as to what to do. It was her first day, after all. She was so unprepared for any of this!

It was not a great deal of issue for Gabriel to while away a day. After all, there were places within this region that woudl be open to establishing a working relationship with a member of the noble families that clearly had money to spend. The framework for a new construction project was laid down, the deal for it anyhow, and woudl be a new waterpowered mill. Gabriel knew he could hae simply provided more advanced resources, but keeping the building to something the local villagers coudl work in and operate would make it a mroe attractive option for the locals. A little additional goodwill for himself couldn't go astray.

When the sun had gone down enough that hte air was faintly lit, and twilight was truly upon them, he and his driver made their way to collect Cat from her home to bring her along to the star of her new life. He found that there were a sight more people than he'd anticipated being present for such a collection, and he took a long, steadying breath to make sure he didn't let his emotions get away from him. Crowds stirred several thigns in him, as well as memories that he did not wish to entertain. He let out a slow breath, gathering his will and his bearing, he stood and opened the door to the carriage.

There was an audible hush falling over the crowd as he emerged into the twilight air. He cast gaze out across the village members that all stared at him with a certain amount of awe. Few saw a member of the High Nobility in the flesh in their entire lives, let alone saw one that came to collect someone they knew to bring them to a new life. He stepped to the ground gently, his cloak mantled around him completely for the moment. He saw Cat, and saw how she cast a glance to the driver. Gabriel slid a hand from his cloak, and made a small gesture that his driver caught. The other man clambered off of the carriage, and set to work moving her truck to the rear of the carriage, clearly intending to store it.

"Miss Cat. It is good to see you this night. If you are prepared..." Gabriel opened his cloak, and had a small shaef of papers with him, attached to a small stone slab. There was a pen on it as well. It was the formal contract, putting everything that they had agreed on into codified form, two copies. He'd signed them already. Once she made ehr own signature, then she'd be officially in his employ, adn off to her new life.

The dirver paid attention tot he crowd, seeing that their attention was fixed on his master and Cat, which let him heave the trucnk into place without bothering to hide the effort. Once in place, he lashed in against he carriage, and nodding. They were ready to amke way from here. He was still unsure of this course of action, but it wasn't his place to make those kinds of decisions. He served his master. That and nothing more.

Cat's eyes widened when Gabriel himself stepped out to greet her but she supposed she shouldn't have been surprised. Nothing in the way he had behaved since they had met had been like any noble she had ever heard of. What was next? Would the man get down on all fours and let her use him as a step up into the carriage? She blinked a few times at that thought and then bit her lip as her cheeks tinged a soft pink. That was just...

"Yes, my lord, it is good to see you. " Wait, had she been supposed to wait until after the papers were signed to call him sir or had she only been meant to wait until she made the decision to work for him? It didn't matter, she thought with a sigh, it had already been said and if the trunk wasn't a dead give away that she was going to be taking his offer, she didn't know what would be.

She cleared her throat and took the tablet with hands that, thankfully, only shook a little. Gods above and below, this was nerve wracking! Especially as she had no intention of signing until she read everything contained in the contract. To her surprise, she could find no tricks, at least not written plainly. If there was subterfuge in the wording of any of the points in the contract, she couldn't find that either. She had the distinct impression that the nobleman had actually stuck to his word and decided that if there was any kind of loophole in the contract, it was not something intentionally placed.

With a barely concealed sigh of relief, Cat signed both documents before giving one to her parents and the other, along with the tablet and pen, back to Gabriel. She had been officially purchased, even if it was disguised as a job opportunity and she had done the selling herself. It was a pessimistic way to look at it with how fair the noble had been thus far but she couldn't help but feel a little like a prized heifer. A stupid one, if this all turned out to be a lie.

She gave her family all a final hug and waived to the crowd before she turned back to Gabriel. "I am as ready as I can be." She told him with a small smile but her heart wasn't in it. Then her face flushed as she remembered. "My lord." She added quickly.

All God's bless, would she ever get used to this? She felt like a child meeting an adult beyond her parents for the first time and all she wanted to do was cower behind her mama's legs. If one of the town girls had been chosen instead of her, perhaps they would have been a little more prepared for interacting with a noble. He had sought her out intentionally though. So if he didn't like her lack in decorum, he had no one to blame but himself.

She decided she would just assume that she was to walk beside the carriage rather than ask awkward questions of her new employer and make a fool out of everyone. No need to drive the point home that she was a bad choice. The contracts were signed but if he found her displeasing, he could always kill her. There had been nothing in the contract to save her from that fate. It would be a waste of a year's wages but...a year's wages for a servant girl had to be pittance compared to this man's wealth.

Still, she made no move to suggest that that was what she intended on doing. Perhaps if she stood beside him and just waited for his orders, it would look more official. If she just went and stood beside the wheel or the door or what...

Wait...was she supposed to be on her hands and knees as a step up? She had strong bones but she was scrawny. He would break her to pieces if he put his full weight on her back! Nope. No. She was not going to make any assumptions. She would just wait and see what he wanted her to do. She clearly should not be left to her own thoughts. Just as she clearly shouldn't have listened to all of those horror stories about the aristocracy. She was a fool.

Once everything was signed, and everything was in place, Gabriel stepped to the carriage. There was an urge to allow Cat into the carriage in advance of him, but a man of his station did need to be at least slightly mindful of his appearances to the masses, and showing that level of deference to a newly acquired servant would have a poor reflection on his standing with the other members of the nobility once word reached them.

And it would.

He had no doubts in that regard. It always did.

Once he was within the carriage, and had settled his mantled cloak around him, the driver approached Cat from the side.
"Your luggage is secure miss. We've much ground to cover, you will find it much easier to travel within. Our Lord might enjoy the company, and you may have questions yet for him." He offered, standing to one side of the door, holding it firmly in a proper position, holding it for a lady. Between servants this wasn't so different, not unusual really.

Cat watched her new master(?)...lord...her new boss climb into the carriage and frowned. Any young man in the village would have rocked the thing with about as much grace as a bear searching for honey but Gabriel had somehow managed to glide in without causing more than a slight dip for his added weight. She wondered how well she would do. She wondered how well Alana would have done. She wondered why she was even thinking about the way someone moved at all. It wasn't like she didn't know that he was more refined than anyone she had ever met.

She started in surprise when the driver spoke, partly because she hadn't been paying attention and hadn't expected to be spoke to and partly out of shock from what had been said. They wanted her to ride in the carriage? She had been pampered by her mother and the village women the last few days but she was still poor. She probably stank and she knew she had to be dirty. They had been standing out in the dusty street for ages. If they truly had a long way to go, she didn't want to start things off by making her new boss uncomfortable with her presence. She certainly didn't want him thinking she was unclean and smelly. Oh gods.

"M-me?" She cleared the squeak from her voice. "You want me to ride..." She gave a rueful laugh and shook her head. Questioning them was probably worse than just obeying what they said. If they wanted her in the carriage, she would get in the carriage. Why should she explain why this sort of thing just wasn't done. She was a servant. A peasant. The fancy carriage was no place for her.

She was about to step up when a thought occurred to her. Was this when the polite mask came off? He would get her alone in the carriage and do...unsavory things to her?

No! Nope! She signed a contract. She made her decision and she signed her life over to this man. She wouldn't continue to act suspiciously just because the noble was a bit eccentric. It was tiring and getting old even to her.

Cat cleared her throat again once she was settled comfortably in the seat but then held her tongue. She chose to watch out the window instead as her family slowly disappeared from sight. Only when she could no longer see them did she speak.

"You...uh...you said that you lived far from here but you never said how far." She said as her gaze turned to him. "Sir?" Gods above and below, honorifics were going to take some getting used to. "Will it be more than a day's travel?" It was already quite late, as Gabriel hadn't shown up until the sun was almost down. It was nearly full dark now. Would they travel through til dawn or did he plan on stopping somewhere for the night?

Back
Top Bottom