Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is there any non-native-english speaker on this site?

Hello!
My first language is Portuguese. And it's been a few years since I started roleplaying in English.
I don't find it hard to understand other people, but I do get lost while writting some times.. mainly with conjunctions or verbal tense.

My native languages ( I was raised tri-lingual) are a far cry from English but English is like a virus that gets stuck in your brain :)
Every now and then I still jumble the odd tense here and there but no I don't have issues understanding my partners, I do live in the US now so I hear English a lot.
I have however, had to end RP once or twice because my partner's English was so terrible that I couldn't make sense of half the things they wrote about.

I was originally a Spanish speaker but growing up in the US at a younger age than normal allowed me to gain a lot of experience after coming to americas around the age of 10. It was tricky in the early days but fortunately I had some great teachers and it helped out a lot. I think being able to dive into all english has gone a long way in helping me overcome the initial writing barrier as that was always tricky.

English is my third language. But I'm perfectly able to read and write in it.

English is my second language. I don't think I have any problems understanding my partners as long as they stay within normal English syntax and spelling. Even the odd 'collage' instead of 'college' is alright. But too many errors on their account and I start to wonder if I understood everything.

English is my second language. I don't think I have any problems understanding my partners as long as they stay within normal English syntax and spelling. Even the odd 'collage' instead of 'college' is alright. But too many errors on their account and I start to wonder if I understood everything.
I guess I've never had problems with understanding my partners because I honestly never had to face many spelling mistakes... I'd probably get confused with "collage", wondering if it was new word to my vocabulary lol, I get lost easily

Over the years, I have quite enjoyed writing with people whose first language is not English. Generally speaking, their English has been quite good, but you get the occasional amusing slip-up and sometimes a rather nice turn of phrase that I presume has been translated from their first language. Basically, do not discount writers who fall into this category.

I speak English & Anishinaabemowin. I enjoy the strangeness of wording things in my brain and how it doesn't make sense in one language but makes perfect sense in the other. Yanno?! Yanno.

Back
Top Bottom