Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Freeing the Circus Freak (MysteriousD & ObscurePeach)

MysteriousD

Star Fudge
'Why am I doing this again?" Diego Vendrix asked his roommate as he was being more or less dragged to the circus. Diego Vendrix was a college student, someone who was trying to study and do whatever he was wanna go do in his life. However, his roommate was more of a party animal to say the least. For whatever reason, Diego agreed for his roommate to let him take him out to a strange new circus that was in his hometown. Diego agreed to accmpany him on the trip during Spring Break, seeing as he had little else better to do in his Spring Break, agreed.

His roomie, Miles Prescott, lived in a nice quiant town. However, it did have a bunch of odd events that reminded Diego a little of Gravity Falls. However, he did not expect a weird-ass circus to be one of them. Diego had sat down and wondered what would the show be like, but for some reason, he had an uneasy feeling.

"Relax, man. I heard the circus changed a lot and got some new performers," he said cheerfully though Diego could tell even Miles seemed a bit puzzled by the changes. While it mainained the nostalgic charm, there was a bit more of a gaudy and even unsettlign atmosphere to it.

She had been with the circus since she was a child. Her parents had sold her once they realized what she was. A monster. An abomination. A freak.

Gabrielle watched from her cage as the lions pulled off their tricks and the elephants danced beneath the big top. She whimpered softly. The metal of the cage was kept freezing cold at all time so she couldn’t escape, and when she wasn’t performing she was locked into a vest that pumped freezing water around her body.

It was incredibly painful, but she didn’t dare try to escape, even when the cage door was opened and her vest removed. Her skin, white as death, slowly began to glow as she warmed up.

“And now! Introducing the star of our show! The Will-o-wisp!” Gabrielle ran out as the tent lights shut off, her now bright glow the only thing lighting the ring. She paused, catching her breath. She was exhausted.

Her rest didn’t last long before a whip cracked her across her back and she gave a soft cry. Quickly she began her routine. Demonstrating how she could melt steel, flashing in complicated patterns of light, showing off how cold deactivated her most painfully.

Finally it was over and she was dragged off stage, shivering and crying, listening to the Ringmaster’s parting shot. “Get up close with the wisp, ladies and gentlemen! $20 to enter her trailer! $400 to enter alone!” She could hear the suggestion dripping from his voice and flinched in anticipation.

For the most part, the animals were entertaining to watch, but Diego still could not shake off the uneasy feeling over the circus. Miles though was not as curious and simply letting himself enjoy the show. However, both of their remaining positive attitudes plummetted upon seeing the scared young woman there. While most of the people seem to be unnerved, they reassured themselves that it was part of the show or that it was just optimical illusions or something.

"Miles... remember that time you asked me if I would do something crazy with my life... Get the pickup ready and go around the tent. ," Diego told his rommate with a dangerous hiss.

Miles just nodded before sneaking off. He knew that glint in his roomie's eye. It was whenever he was well and truly ticked off. He had an idea of what Diego would do. It was dangerous and probably illegal... not that either of those things were going to stop him.

Diego was the first to go and pay the $20 to go in while everyone was shoving their way. Diego got a quick glimpse of the trailer. No other door, but there was a window that could fit them...

Perfect.

When Diego got in, he slammed the door before anyone can get in and shoved whatever furniture in front of the door.

"I will get you out of here... I promise. I'm gonna rescue you, " Diego told the girl. She was younger than him, a teenager. She was pale with white hair and thin... it contrasted him, a somewhat doughy tanned Mexican-American with brown eyes, dark colored hair and a boyish face.

Diego got her out of the restraint and put his shirt on her. He then smashed the window with a folding chair... he helped her out the window before he went out.

"Miles! Step on it!" Diego said, carrying the girl onto the pick-up truck before he went on. Once on, Miles floored it. "You are crazy, man.... this is awesome!" he said before cackling like a loon.

"Wonder how long before they realize it..." Diego said before he saw some lights beginning to come after them.

"They're on their way," he hissed.

Flinching as a man burst into her room, Gabrielle had backed away from him, shaking her head. She’d been stupid enough to try to escape once, the constant, faint glow to her skin when she wasn’t cold hiding the scars that resulted from the attempt.

It was only the fact that she was pulled and pushed and guided along that saw the meek young woman going with him. She was suddenly in the back of a truck before she knew what was happening, clinging tight to her rescuer. She was hot to the touch, like she was running a high fever, but seemed healthy enough (at least in that area), the darkness of the night illuminated as she flashed bright with panic, eyes wide.

She had yet to speak, merely clinging tighter as they raced away from the circus, pursued by her captors, hiding her face in Diego’s neck. She didn’t want to go back, and literal hot tears dripped onto Diego’s shoulder as she heard the carnival trucks gaining on them.

"Let's lose them, shall we?" Miles said with as he began steering over to a certain part in his area... Ridgecrack. A bit of a strange place, it's an odd part of the area connected to the nearby mountains, known for its tight cornering and routes.

"Miles what are you up..." Diego began saying before he turned. The trucks, having been trying to keep up, began moving and shaking from from the bumpiness of the roads and its unstability. However, it was only after the turn that things began falling apart. The leading circus truck tried to turn, only for some mix of gravity, physics and likely the odd patterning of stone to cause it to lock up and nearly twist and fall. The rest of the trucks stopped following.

Miles cackled like a hyena before they kept going through the pass and they ended up on the country roads. Before long, he took a shortcut to get on the highway. "Don't worry. My folks will drive us our stuff back here," Miles said with a cheeky grin.

"You're safe now. Okay, you're safe," Diego said, his arm having not left being around the young woman holding onto him for dear life.

Once on the highway, which was mostly empty, evenyone calmed. "What's your name?" Diego asked Gabrielle.

“I-my name is Gabrielle,” the girl said softly. She tentatively looked up, glancing around. “I’m-I’m safe?” She asked. “I won’t go back?” As soon as she realized that she was safe, she burst into tears, nearly tackling Diego as she threw her arms around him.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She sobbed. “Thank both of you! Thank you!” She clung to Diego as she cried, slowly calming down. She pulled away again. “What-what are you going to do with me now?”

Gabrielle fully expected to have been stolen by these two for personal purposes, rather than to save her. She just wasn’t sure what purpose it was.

"They can't report you kissing or else they'll end up in jail," Miles said with a shrug. Diego just sighed. His roommate was a crazy madman... who also came from a family of cops and was on his way to graduating top of the class in law school. However, he was grateful he came through in a pinch.

Diego just held onto the girl, letting her cry and calm down. He was hugging her back as well, letting her relax and know she was safe.

"Well... I guess take care of you. Diego saved you because it was the right thing to do... How did you end up there?" Miles asked while driving. Diego meanwhile was still holding onto Gabrielle, letting her feel safe and secure.

Gabrielle shrugged, sniffling. “My parents sold me to the circus when I was a child,” she said softly. “They didn’t want me, and the circus paid a lot of money. I don’t know how much. They said once I made them back their money I could leave but they never told me how much I owed.”

She wiped her eyes. “Thank you so much for helping me. I’m-I don’t know how to repay you. They never gave me any of the money I made them, even the-the . . . The private sessions.”

Leaning her head on Diego’s shoulder, she slowly began to relax as they got further and further from the circus.

Diego looked angry and upset at such a horrendous fact. Miles heard it too. "Yeah, on second thought, I'm gonna see if there is a way we can get them arrested," Miles said sourly.

"Don't worry about repayng me, okay? I'll take care of you in the meanwhile and we can figure out the plan from there," Diego told her with a smile. Then when he heard about private sessions, he paled. "Did anyone do anything to you in those sessions?" Diego said, his blood turning to ice and even Miles stiffening up.

Diego quickly figured those circus folk or at least that ringleader was scum, but this... this would be an entirely new level of sickening.

Shrugging again, Gabrielle didn’t answer, but her expression said enough. She looked down at her lap for a moment. “The-they said I’m too freakish to exist outside the circus. Is that true? I-I know real people don’t glow, and they can’t heat up like I can.”

It was one of the things hammered into her after her escape attempt. Her only place was in the circus where at least she could do some good for someone. She looked between the two, slightly confused at their anger. She wasn’t used to people caring.

Diego turned to Miles who just drove, both too mortified and pissed to do anything, at least until Gabrielle began speaking again. "They're wrong. They're nothing more but failures of human beings. You being able to glow and heat up are gifts and you have an opportunity to do great good with them," Diego told her with a smile. "But you decide what to do with your gifts. And I'll be to help you," Diego responded to her with a smile.

"You deserve happiness," Miles added with a smile. "What do you like to eat? I bet you're hungry," Diego noted as Miles nodded. They haven't eaten anything for a few hours now.

“They only fed me what was left over after the circus closed for the day. I don’t like circus food,” she admitted, fiddling with her long hair. “The last time they gave me cotton candy I threw it up. But yeah, I’m hungry. You can eat what you want, I can just take whatever you don’t finish.”

Her stomach growled as she talked and she blushed. Well, blush was the wrong word. The glow on her cheeks grew brighter than the rest of her face, though. “If you eat all your food, it’s okay too. I ate yesterday.”

"No, we're going to feed you a proper meal. You deserve that and you deserve so much more," Diego told her as he clasped her hands. "Like I said, I'm gonna take care of you," Diego told Gabrielle with a smile on his face. He found her glowing blush to be cute. "Yeah, you need to have three good meals a day," Miles told her with a smile as they were driving toward somewhere.

"We're going to a buffet then?" Diego asked him with a smile as they saw they arrive. Indeed they were. They stopped at an all-you-can-eat buffet to eat. Diego looked to her. Looking through the truck, he put on his hoodie for her to wear since he needed his shirt. "This place has all sorts of food," Diego said as he held her hand, holding it with a smile as they headed inside.

Gabrielle blushed brighter, smiling shyly back at them. “Thank you so much,” she said, squeezing Diego’s hands before tugging on the hoodie. She was small from years of few meals, and it was like a hooded dress on her. It hid her glow for the most part however, and in the light of the buffet, she merely seemed abnormally pale.

She stared in wonder at all the food, though it took only a moment for a frown to drift across her face, as well as a full faced flush of shame. “Um-I-“ She squirmed. “I don’t know what any of this is. I-I can’t-I can’t read.”

A few of the circus staff tried to teach her in the early days but she was too scared, and by the time she was ready to learn, she was being isolated and kept away from everyone except hand picked staff, after it came out some were going to try and free her.

Diego and Miles looked to one another. "Well, guess I'll start teaching you tomorrow then!" Diego told her with a smile as he took it in. "Don't be ashamed, okay? I'll be the one to teach you to read and to write and all of that other stuff," he reassured her. "Yeah, you can finally use that library card for the city we got," Miles added with a joke as he got them a table and ordered them drinks, water for Gabirelle, and soda for the two.

For the next several minutes, Diego would pass by and began explaining to Gabrielle was the items were as best he can. From the grill that had like steak or pork or chicken, to the various side dishes like macaroni and cheese and french fries, the various aspects of the salad and soup bar and of course the dessert bar, all while he was getting various food on his plate, while also bringing a plate for Gabrielle for her to put on.

Gabrielle was eager to try a little bit of everything, nibbling on various things as she followed Diego like a puppy. She made a face at the french fries, giving them a wide berth, but definitely enjoyed other foods, like the rice. It was mild, a far cry from the flavorful circus food she had grown to hate.

She shied away from her glass of water, eyeing the ice warily, but did end up getting a mug of steaming hot water she enjoyed much more. She didn’t like the desserts much, gravitating more toward the fruits.

By the time they got back to the table, she was already feeling full, having had tried so much and being used to eating so little. “I never knew there was so much food out there,” she marveled as she forced down another spoonful of rice, not wanting to waste her food.

Diego was noting everything that Gabrielle was choosing to eat with her plate. He noted that she rejected most fried foods for the most part, likely due to being circus food, though he did note that she did like eating pizza from the large bite he saw her take from his. Anoter thing je noted was that she preferred hot foods over cold, indicating she did not like the cold that much. Good thing they were in Georgia then. When he saw her drink the hot water from Miles' mug for tea, Miles ordered her her own mug to try some tea.

She was not much of a fan of much desserts, likely due to the experience of cheap sweets there, but she did savor the various fruits.

As Diego and Miles got his desserts from their food, they were on the table and Gabrielle looked so satsified. "Yeah there was. And don't woorry about the food. We can take the rest hom with us," Diego reassured her. "Yeah, with the drive home, I doubt any of us would want to do anything when we get back," Miles added.

"And this is a buffet so its quantity for qualtity for food here so there are more places that have even more delicious food," Diego said to Gabrielle with a smile. When they were all finished, Diego and Miles got some to-go boxes for themselves and for Gabrielle. With their boxes filled, they were heading to the truck. This time, Diego took Gabrielle with him in the front and putting their seatbelts.

Back
Top Bottom