Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Old Servant and the New Wizard (MysteriousD & ObscurePeach)

MysteriousD

Star Fudge
Diego Vendrix was not normal. Sure he was an eccentric and a nerdy student, but he seemed like he was normal. But Diego had a large secret. One he discovered when he was 13 and trying to figure out since then.

He was born with the gift of magic.

It all started when he was trying to deal with a dead sapling back when he had to walk from school to work. In a strange fate, he manage to restore it back to life, even having it grow again. No one noticed, but since then Diego, has been noticing strange things when he focuses on the hard enough. Add that with strange dreams happening in increasing frequency, Diego has been having to deal with plenty. Despite this, he wasn't able to use much with his magic.

Sure, he learned how to do simple things like not make himself as hungry or try and be more active to help lose weight, but he wasn't sure how well it was working. By now though, he was a university student and he was trying to figure out what to do for his major.

Amadia had been “alive” for centuries. Her master had ordered her to pass on his knowledge, but she had failed. She hadn’t been able to find anyone worthy. And then like that, the last wizard died, and she was struck with the realization that she would never fulfil her master’s final order.

So she had wandered, occasionally returning to her master’s grave to clean it off and tend to it. She followed the evolution of human genius, amazed at what they had managed to achieve. But still she wished for death. Wished she could stop existing.

It was by chance that one day she was walking past a college and felt it. Magic. She’d nearly fallen and by the time she caught herself, whoever had it was too far away to sense.

The next few months were spent lurking around the school until she had pinpointed the man. He had magic. He must have been worthy, he was the first wizard she’d found in centuries.

“Hello. My name is Amadia, you are my new master,” She greeted him one day as he exited university grounds.

It was about a normal evening, the end of a school week. Diego had been walking to his apartment. While he intially considered a dorm, Diego considered one of the apartments nearby to be better. He was able to "negotiate" a better price with them and since he was on a scholarship for his studies, he did not have to pay much for his university time. He just paid for food and such like anyone else. Granted, he was a full-time student since he wasn't comfortable working at a job while studying.

His train of thought was suddenly derailed by seeing a blond woman come up to him. She was pretty-looking though she was wearing attire it looked like she got from the lost and found or something.

However, she then caught him off guard when she said that he was her new master...

"Wait, what?!" DIego said, utterly shocked by what she said.

Smiling, Amadia nodded. “You are a wizard, and my master instructed me to pass his knowledge on to a worthy wizard. So you are my new master! I will need to assess you to evaluate where you are at skill-wise, but I am sure you will have no issue carrying his legacy.”

Amadia pat the satchel hanging from her shoulder. “I have all his books and tools already, so when you are ready, we can begin. Please also feel free to take advantage of my abilities to clean and ensure your life can be devoted to magic.”

Diego remained quiet, trying to take everything in. All about the fact that there were wizards... at least long ago from whe was saying. He was feeling a mix of emotions. Shock of course, but also joy... this was something he wanted to happen since he was a pre-teen... even before he would end up getting his gift.

However, he still has everything else he needed to do in his life first and foremost. He didn't just wanna quit his university life.

"All right, we'll talk more in my apartment room," Diego said, still trying to process everything. He led her inside, grateful that the person of the counter was too busy to notice him bringing her in. He went into the elevator with her and they went up to his room. He then brought her to his apartment. It was a pretty nice one, if shared with three other people.

"Well, my roommates are all gone for the weekend, so start from the beginning please," Diego asked her as he was sitting on his bed.

“Of course, Master,” Amadia said. “My original master, Lord Amadeus Erlking, created me to be his servant. I am not truly human but I am anatomically correct, though I do not require nourishment, oxygen or sleep. I myself am incapable of magic, though I can sense it.”

She had taken a seat before him on the floor as she talked, looking up at him with a smile. “My Master was a great wizard, but he was unable to father any children to pass his knowledge onto. So he ordered me to find a worthy successor to his knowledge. I was unable to find anyone, and magic died out. But you have that magic, possibly the only one in the world who does.

“You are worthy of my master’s knowledge and I will pass it onto you, so I may finally be unmade and cease to exist.”

Diego began listening to what Amadia was saying, abot why she was here. While he figured magic now existed, hearing the details and the lore was absolutely mind-blowing. The fact that she was some sort of immortant servant tasked with trying to find someone to pass on the legacy of magic. And, after centuries, someone has appeared. That person was him. Diego was excited. He now had something of a purpose.

However, he was interrupted from his thoughts when she said that when she finished, she would be unmade. "Unmade? Why would you be unmade? Wouldn't you want to be alive?" Diego asked her with some thought while he was taking all of this in.

"I guess you will stay here, but I do have to focus on my studies as well. You said you needed to examine or test me," Diego asked her.

Amadia smiled sadly. “I am centuries old, master. I have seen the rise and fall of empires. I am ready to die. Perhaps now that I have a purpose again, that will change. But as of right now, I am eager to finally be allowed to die.”

She drew from her satchel a roll of parchment, yellowed and tattered with age. “Yes, I have some tests. Once I have tested you, I will design a plan for how to teach you properly. Do not worry about funds, my master left behind a sizeable fortune. Whatever is left once we are done you will inherit. If you must focus on other work as well, while you do so, I will begin performing my secondary duties and start cleaning, or I could begin dinner if you preferred.

“You are a college student yes? So you must be an adult. When did you first realize you had magic?” As she talked she was also pulling out several old books and boxes from the bag that shouldn’t have been able to fit all that inside.

Diego looked saddened at what Amadia was saying. He had mixed feelings on immrotality sure, but he still felt bad for her what she was saying. To be condemned to a life without being able to do what you need to do sucks, but he had the feeling that he was going to miss her extraordinarily when she finally passed on.

Meanwhile, he saw her take out various items like a roll of parchment. He listened how she would plan her curriculum for him while also helping to take care of the place. "I understand that and thank you for the assistance, but I would also like to know what else I can do to help make your stay comfortable," Diego told her with a smile on his face.

"I was thirteen. I had to walk from school to home because my parents were at the doctor's. I saw a nearby dying sapling and as I went to check it... it began coming back to life. It was not just alive, but growing once more," Diego told her with a nostalgic smile. "Other things would be being able to sense trouble, or get some protection from heat. But it was only recently I tried doing more on purpose," he added. "My first was through a process called biofeedback, the ability to consciously control your body. Everything from your hair to your toes under your conscious control. I did it to help better understand myself and to help me lose weight, I was a fat kid back then," Diego said laughing. While he wasn't thin, he could only be described as mildly doughy at worst. Beyond that, the stretch marks were still there from where he was a fat kid.

"Although the first big thing of magic I did was when I began reading on my ancestors and tried doing something with that," Diego told her, recalling on the nagaul, or the spirit animal and their bond from the ancient Aztecs.

Nodding, Amadia marked down some things with a pencil in a notebook. “I see. You seem to have a mixture of basic and more advanced abilities. Once I help you make a wand, it will be easier to perform magic. The tree you grew. Is it still alive? Or has it been cut down already?” She asked curiously.

She was already jotting down a schedule for him, referencing her master’s list and scribbling notes, muttering to herself. Created specifically to be an assistant, it was easy for her to catalogue and remember things, though her master had compromised that with her having little strength. Back in the day it was risky to have an assistant with no combat capability, but now a days it wasn’t dangerous at all.

"The tree is still alive. I checked last week when I went home for the weekend," Diego told her before he looked fascinated at the idea of a wand. He wondered what else he could do... He could do anything. He could save the world. Even as a kid, he wanted to save people and make the world a better place. And now he had the gift and soon the training to accomplish that. No matter what crooked politicians or sociopathic corporations stood in his way... He could fix the world.

He gained a determined smile on his face.

"Wait, I do wanna show you my big trick," Diego said before he took a breath. He practiced this alot and while he never really used much beyond, he was still proud of it.

"Nahual: ocēlōtl!"

Diego then began transforming, though still with his clothes. He was changing, becoming. A symbol appeared on his hand. An Aztec symbol. He became a jaguar. He would then transform back willingly.

"That was the faith of my ancestors," he explained.

“Amazing!” Amadia exclaimed, eyes wide. “To achieve human to animal transformation at your age is amazing, Master! How long did it take you to learn how to do it?” She pulled the notebook closer and began scribbling quickly. She was right, he really was worthy of her former master’s knowledge and inheritance.

Smiling proudly, already honored to be servant to such a talented young man, Amadia stood. “When you next have time, we will have to visit the tree you helped grow, and I will assist you in fashioning a wand from one of its branches,” she said. “For now, would you prefer I clean or begin cooking?”

"A couple months. I first had to figure out what was it my... totem animal would be. For my ancestors... the Aztecs... it would be decided on the day of your birth. Some were associated with animals and others weren't. Me, I wasn't associated with an animal day... but, after talking to my cousin, an archaeologist, he mentioned how other significant bonds could be made or symbolized," Diego explained, in some thought.

"So hence, I went deep into my magic and thus... contacted the jaguar. The Jaguar is associated with Tezcatlipoca, the god of the night sky, obisidion, divination, change through conflict, the earth and many others... including sorcery. His animal is the jaguar. As such, me getting the jaguar symbolized my gift for magic I supposed," Diego added as he thought about it more.

"Well, I do plan on returning home tomorrow and I can introduce you to my parents as a friend from school," Diego said to her with a smile. She then asked what to do.

"Not much cleaning to do admittingly and so I suppose we can cook, but I haven't bought that many groceries," he confessed as he got up. He was happy and blushing to see her proudful smile.

Back
Top Bottom