Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[Visual Novel System Playtest] (Content Negotiable) OOC

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Rolls for the game should be made in the #dice-roller channel of my discord found here.

You can put the roll results in this thread if you like, but I'll see them there as well.

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Ok, a couple things of note that need discussion:
  • If you have an archetype that doesn't have gear, you can either pick from those that do, or discuss from me what counts as 1 or more than 1 pick.
  • Each 500 yen is 1 Ryō
  • Bonds are up for discussion. I expect this game to be Samurai heavy, so the two options are probably going to be Sports x 2 or Cool +1 unless a case can be made for another set of bonds options.
    • You can have a bond with a locale, but it costs 1 more point than the bonus it provides, e.g. a bond with the whole town of Kagemusha that grants +1 when dealing with all of its citizens costs 2 bonds, while +3 costs 4 bonds.
    • There is no restriction on bonds with relatives, which can affect and represent greater comfort levels, and by extension romance with them is permitted provided it doesn't otherwise break BMR's rules.

Sardonyx

I want to be wrapped up in your wildest imaginings
A question, how important are gender roles going to be in the game... I’d make a case for Hot x2 for bonds for girls since my impression of medieval japan is that women were beautiful creatures to be admired and delighted in but not much more. I’m not even sure how much the girls were liked as individuals vs. doing their duty to others... hence me thinking Hot vs Cool...

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Are you meaning hot instead of cool but keep sports, or are you meaning hot instead of sports and keeping cool?

I could see a case made for +Hot since it's a clam bake up in this joint. It also makes sense to not penalize players who went all in on +Hot. I think it makes more sense to replace Cool +1 than Sports x 2 though.

Sardonyx

Sure :) replacing Cool for Hot could be the way to go. Hehehehe, I don’t think any of us kohai went the martial route, oh well

Sardonyx

Also, are jobs and money going to be a concern in the game? Since we won’t really be doing the school thing in ancient japan

Sardonyx

Another question, could you share a sample bond or two so we can see what they ‘look like’?

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Well, I was hoping to break the mold of static bonds in VNW, because it gives what I feel is the wrong impression, which "is these things have to be how this character sees the world at the start" and doesn't really allow for creative freedom. In general they reflect your opinion of a character based on what you or they did and how you or they interacted with it. While I would rather bonds to be a little more dynamic than this, here is a generator for Dungeon Worlds Bonds that will give you an idea. You probably want bonds that are more thematically appropriate for anime than a straight fantasy game though.

Sardonyx

Thanks for that, it helped. So bonds are essentially about relationships then capabilities or resources, makes sense. Should they always center on the players and Sempai or can the be used for world building?

Say, “The local Daimyo, Lord Tanaka Obuya, has a soft spot for me because I seduced his rival for him which cleared a path to power for him.”

Which would establish who is ‘in charge’ of the town and that they’re a bit of a manipulative sob

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Yep. Although as far as I know not making them for fellow players is unique to my game. That used to not be the default assumption anyway.

Sardonyx

I’m thinking of taking 1 outside the group and another with a group member, with the last one held in reserve to support a future plot point ;)

Any takers? I can of course use it for a bond with Sempai, but am willing to have the other bond represent a shared past with either of the other kohais

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
Oh I wasn't really thinking about it when discussing backstory for this game, but senpai has an odd interaction with bonds. they become something of an arms race in that... well, what's stopping anyone from just starting with +4 bonds to Senpai. I'd considered that, but in the end, I think games where you get to the hanky panky faster are just as good as the other, but for different reasons.

Sardonyx

I figured the reason not to put all your bonds with Sempai is an OOC one, to define your character, how they interact with Kohai and others in the world. I tend to want to play characters that are fun to play, even if they’re ‘losing’ in a competition. Having additional commections/relationships means more plot hooks for adventure.

Say, if the Daimyo bond is cool, we may never go on an adventure where Tsuya is directly focused on a mission for him (since Sempai may not have anything to do with politics) but a complication arising from a mission (say a husband who wants revenge on Tsuya for stealing his wife and turning her into a whore) could affect her, Sempai or the Kohai (say if said husband goes to the Miko for help dealing with ‘the demon who possessed his wife’)

I don’t want to force story elements on anyone, but thought things like this could help the story along.

Thoughts anyone?

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
I figured the reason not to put all your bonds with Sempai is an OOC one, to define your character, how they interact with Kohai and others in the world.
Well, in other games, bonds with senpai aren't really an issue that comes up. usually it is explicitly stated the bonds are for Kohai (or whatever the game calls the other players) as an explicit rule. The only real reason it's less of a rule and more of a philosophy here is the deliberate broadening of what Bonds can actually do.

Say, if the Daimyo bond is cool, we may never go on an adventure where Tsuya is directly focused on a mission for him (since Sempai may not have anything to do with politics) but a complication arising from a mission (say a husband who wants revenge on Tsuya for stealing his wife and turning her into a whore) could affect her, Sempai or the Kohai (say if said husband goes to the Miko for help dealing with ‘the demon who possessed his wife’)
The daimyo bond is cool anyway, on grounds of world building. I now know for example, if you take that bond as stated, the local daimyo is Obuya (if you're going Japanese order). I'm not sure it'll help with every roll for every mission for him, but it might help things that directly involve him. Defend to try to stop a ninja's crossbow bolt from hitting him, Turn Someone On to negotiate quest rewards you get from him, and whatnot.

I don’t want to force story elements on anyone, but thought things like this could help the story along.
no, but I haven't gone into great detail on story elements I will include, so a nudge here and there might not hurt. At least not me. Any bond you have with either of the other players needs to be squared away with them though.

Sardonyx

So, first off, kudos for expanding bonds and including us in world building, something I adore doing.

I’ll definitely take the Daimyo bond then, everything you described sounded like fun to me. (Yep, I’m going to use Japanese naming conventions as much as possible)

Ok, based off the info here, I’m going to call that bond, “because I once thwarted an assassination plot against him, the Daimyo Tanaka Obuya invited Tsuya to be a Geisha in his household”. Sound good?

And of course any bonds with other Kohai will need to be worked out with them.

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
(Yep, I’m going to use Japanese naming conventions as much as possible)
Personally I prefer the other way around, which is why I make sure. Easily confused and such. I'm a baka gaijin after all.

“because I once thwarted an assassination plot against him, the Daimyo Tanaka Obuya invited Tsuya to be a Geisha in his household”.
good 'nuff for me. @Berg_Katze hasn't said much lately, and I've lost track of who all is still following this.

Sardonyx

Kk, i’ll Switch things and use American naming conventions :)

I hope my frequent posting isn’t scaring people off...

MagicBanana

Super-Earth
So, following suit with what the other players are doing, I'm going to start with an outside bond as well. The bond is "My little brother Kouta is the best informant ever!" Other than that, I've got nothing. Open to getting a bond with another player though!

ChrisGabriel

Supernova
Chat, chatting... Questions.

Ojou, with smarts, seems like a smart move.

"Choose Archetypes: Choose two or three common anime Archetypes1. If you choose 3, you start with all their Starting Moves. If you choose 2, you can take an Advanced Move with one of them. If Senpai permits, you may choose a privilege, and/or a race. Even if Senpai permits those, he may restrict certain options."

So, can I have an Advanced move?

And what about the Super-archetipes or Races?

Top Bottom