Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Light in Shadows (Fates and Flame)

Fates.Gamble

Care to take a gamble?
A blanket of fog kissed the realm; as it always did and always would here in the Mist. The haze mated with the cloudy water of the river, rendering one incapable of seeing anything more than a few feet out. This, along with the myriad dangerous creatures and boggy terrain, ranked the wetlands of the Mist as one of the deadliest provinces of their world. The marshes were as mysterious as they were vast. Just how vast was anyone’s guess. No one had ever successfully mapped the region, and most who aspired to do so were never heard from again. Venturing beyond what civilization existed here was as good as testing death.
Aezon watched as their large canoe cut across the murky water, the mist parting before them only to close the path in their wake. Normally Leiku would have been happy to swim alongside them, but apprehensive over what nasties might be lurking in the depths, the shadow spirit had taken the form of a small winged creature on his shoulder. Not that their captain could him; shadow spirits were shy at the best of time. But for one with skills such as Aezon, his faithful companion was always visible. Given the way his people and their customs were usually treated, he was thankful few others could claim such a feat. Their kind would never be understood enough to be out in the open about things.

His eyes went wide as they passed a large rock face just inches from their vessel. How the boatman managed to navigate such a hazardous course was beyond him. Aezon wasn’t even aware of the jutting stones until they were in front of his face. Reading his expression, the old helmsman grinned, flashing what few teeth remained in his weathered gums. “Oi boy! Didn’t mean to frighten you,” he chuckled, continuing to guide them steadily down river. “Must be your first time in the Mist, hmm?”
“Is it that obvious?” Aezon asked, meeting his eye.
“Usually those that been ‘round these parts know to dress a little lighter.”
Aezon had quickly learned his point. There was a reason most of the Mist dwellers wore scarce more than loin-cloths and turbans. The humid air had left the dark grey keikogi and shitabaki he wore damp and heavy. He’d heard tell of this endless fog, but he never expected it to be so dense as to drench him for merely sitting in it. Supposedly there were thriving communities on these rivers, but Aezon marveled how anyone could survive in a place like this.
“Though,” the boatman went on, “I needn’t look at your clothes to know you’re not from ‘round here when I spotted that headband you stuffed into your pocket back at the dock...”
Aezon, and Leiku with him stiffened at the man’s words. He didn’t think the old man could see through the condensation well enough to see the act, let alone spot the emblem upon the article. The crest was that of his heritage; of a homeland long lost. Knowing the old man had seen it changed everything. The air grew tense as Aezon’s hand fell closer to one of the blades sheathed at his side. He hadn’t expected trouble so soon… but he wasn’t about to back down if it arose.
“You can relax son,” said his companion, noticing the change in demeanor, “I meant you no ill will.”
Aezon eyed him suspiciously, unused to such a response. “So you know what I am and yet you would remain civil with me?”

The boatman looked at him seriously for a moment, before turning his attention back to the task of skippering them down the hazy channel. “There’s something my father taught me long ago,” he said, strong arms working the paddle in a manner defying the many years upon his wrinkled face, “He told me that every man has darkness in his heart, but not every man chooses to submit to it. You’ve done nothing to neither harm nor offend me lad… Why should I should I be anything but civil?”
“Most of the world would not agree with you,” Aezon pointed out. The man’s acceptance was a drop of kindness in a sea of hatred, and that was enough to relax Aezon and the spirit nuzzled upon his shoulder. “But it sounds like your father and my grandfather would have gotten along.” It had been close to a year now since Saizo had passed into Shadow, but Aezon missed his old mentor now as much as the day he died. His passing left Aezon with a void he could not fill… if not for his chance meeting with Leiku, he may very well have lost himself to loneliness in this often brutal world. Yet however much Aezon missed his grandfather, he did not grieve for him. Like Leiku, those who’d gone to Shadow were always present… even if you couldn’t see them.
“Is that so?” asked the skipper.
Aezon nodded, thinking back fondly on his kin. “He was a good man who always saw the best in everyone… even when I couldn’t. He taught me everything I know.”
He smiled kindly at Aezon. “Aye sounds much like my father,” he continued, carefully guiding them past the roots of a large Cyprus tree that could have easily broken their hull. “He navigated these waters his entire life, and when I was of age, imparted that wisdom to me. Just like his father before him. Like your grandfather, he has long since joined the Shadow. But he lives on in the things he taught me. Just as your grandfather in the things he taught you.”
Aezon looked upon the man with a level of respect, never having expected to find such comforting truth from a stranger. “What’s your name?” he asked, smiling at the man.
“O’shai of the Mist,” the man introduced himself, lowering his paddle to extend a hand which he clasped in bond.
“I am Aezon,” he replied.

O’shai grinned as he straightened up and took up the oar again. “Well it’s a pleasure to meet you Aezon, but unfortunately it is as you say; most will sadly not agree. Not all were lucky enough to have wise men to teach us… so be sure you keep that headband tucked away, hmm? And look after yourself while you’re on these waters. I fear the hearts of men can be as shrouded and dangerous as this Mist… something to keep in mind as we come upon the village. It won’t be long now.”
“Thank you, O’shai.”
The skipper nodded his head to Aezon, rowing the canoe ever further into the haze. Eventually, their destination appeared, the looming shadow of structures appearing from within the blanketing mist. Most of the villages here were built on the water; large pylons hoisting up huts and large structures of wood and reed. The small village was rather bustling; from people working to children playing… everyone seemed to bare carefree expressions as they went about their everyday lives. It was as if they didn’t notice the dreadfully wet smog hovering in front of them, and even less so of the newcomer as O’shai docked the boat and Aezon saw him off with the other half of his payment and a word of thanks. He never expected to meet someone he might call a friend… and he certainly didn’t expect it to happen again anytime soon. So, with Leiku still happy to rest upon his shoulder, he asked around where he could find the things he needed, and headed straight for the shop. The sooner he was back on the road and away from everyone else, the better.

Kaia had lived in the Mist for as long as she could remember. Of course, there was a time beyond her memory: A time where she lived in a different land, far beyond the mists she’d always known. She’d questioned her parents about the land of her birth once, and their answer had ended any further curiosity with absolute certainty.

“You must never ask about that place, child; for if the people of Radiance learn you are here, you will be taken from us and locked away in some tower to never be seen again.” They weren’t her real parents, but they were the only ones she’d ever known and the best she could hope for. The idea of losing them was enough to keep Kaia from ever asking about Radiance and the people who lived there again.

But that didn’t stop her from wondering; from dreaming. In her dreams, she saw the glorious city of light. The spires of Radiance called to her like a beacon, drawing her like a moth to flame. The answers to everything rested beyond the city’s golden walls. She could feel it in her bones. But the closer she got to the city, the louder her parents’ warning became. But they weren’t her only parents. Before she was brought to the Mist, she had a different mother; a different father. They too appeared in her dreams, and while she could not make out their shrouded faces, Kaia could feel that they loved her every bit as much as the ones she knew.

On the subject of her birth parents, her adoptive ones were far more forthcoming. “They were wonderful people,” They would tell her, “A shining light in a woefully dark world. And they loved you with all their hearts, Kaia. They died before you could speak your first words, but they trusted us to keep you safe, child. And we always will.”

If you asked her, Kai and Lena had kept their promise a little too well. She loved them dearly, but her parents had tendency of being over protective. Even from a young age, Kaia had been an adventurous soul. Life in the Mist seemed perfect for that, what with danger lurking behind every foggy corner. She quickly learned how to defend herself and live off the land along with the best of them. She may not have looked like a Mist native, with her long hair the color of moonlight, and her blue-green ocean eyes, but she could survive out here just as well.

Despite such prowess, Kaia’s parents never let her venture too far from home. However, the older she grew, the better at sneaking away she became. She couldn’t recall how many times she’d nearly given her mother a heart attack; showing up back home muddy and in tattered clothing. Kai would usually be away when she returned, out searching for her as he had been for hours. Kaia would always be in for a scolding when he returned, but it always ended in a warm embrace and a wave of relief for her safety. It left her feeling guilty every time, but never enough to keep her home for good.

In recent years, Kai had taken to keeping as close an eye on their daughter as he could. He did his best to occupy Kaia’s time by having her help in the small shop they owned. As much as she hated to be tied down, working in her father’s shop really wasn’t so bad. She’d always taken an interest in the different herbs and remedies they sold. Kaia adored learning from her father about the various ways nature could be used to heal a person, or even harm them. As an added bonus, Kai now trusted her to go out and gather ingredients on her own. Kaia cherished such errands; always using them as an excuse to find some off-beaten track or new frontier she had not discovered before. It was on one such trip that she discovered not only was she from Radiance, but an Ascendant as well.

Kaia could recall the incident as clear as day: Trekking through the woods she slipped on a mossy stone and took a bad fall. She wasn’t sure if her wrist was sprained or broken in the fall to catch herself, but she hadn’t even gotten a chance to examine it before a ring of light appeared like a bracelet. It faded soon after, and her pain with it. Kaia thought her parents would be just as excited about the revelation as she was. Ascendants were powerful and respected, after all. But Kai and Lena recoiled in fear, dashing any hopeful prospect as they forbid her from ever using the power again.

Kaia reluctantly agreed, but curiosity would get the better of her in secret. Not that her parents had anything to worry about. No matter what she tried, Kaia could not seem to tap into her abilities at will. She read every book she could find on ascendancy, but none of them offered anything useful. It seemed if she would have any chance of learning to harness the Light, she would have to talk to someone else like her. A Water Ascendant was known to visit her village every now and again, but Kaia wasn’t sure it would be a good idea to ask him. No matter how badly she wanted answers, she could not shake Kai and Lena’s words of warnings. ‘You will be taken from us, locked away in some tower to never be seen again.’

Now going on 20 years of age, Kaia had finally learned what those words meant. Over 300 years ago, the Light Ascendants of Radiance saved the world from the brink of destruction. Following the events, the 6 provinces, which had remained independent, came together under the governing light of Radiance. The Light Ascendants were revered from then on; regarded as holy figures and deigned to live a life ever within the walls of the golden city. Such was their grace that they were rarely even allowed out in public. The idea of never being free to follow her heart terrified her, but Kaia would certainly suffer the same fate if anyone from Radiance ever learned of her Ascendancy. So Kaia resigned herself to a quiet life, secretly studying her heritage whenever she got the chance.

“Those shelves will never get stocked if you keep daydreaming,” Kai scolded his daughter, catching her off guard as he interrupted her thoughts.
“Sorry father… I was just thinking.” Kaia immediately went back to work, gathering a basket of bottled tinctures before climbing up the ladder to reach some of the highest shelves. She organized the different ingredients with a practiced hand; knowing most of them by appearance before she even noticed the labels.
“Dare I ask what about?” Kai questioned, sounding worried over what it might be.
“Oh nothing particular,” she quickly lied, “Do you know if we have anymore Myrrh?” she asked, eager to change the subject.
“I’ll check in the back.”

Kaia smiled as she watched him go before returning to her work. Her attention was stolen away again, however, when she heard the chime of a customer entering. “I’ll be with you in just a moment!” she said cheerfully, her back still turned while she finished putting away the ingredients in their rightful place. Satisfied with her work, she climbed back down and turned to find herself face to face with a rather handsome looking fellow. Kaia couldn’t explain why, but she suddenly felt very conscious of herself before him. She wore her long, flowing hair up in a high ponytail, while dressed in a sea-green, silk halter and matching harem pants that hugged just above her hips and showed off her slender belly. Kaia found herself smoothing out the fabric as she approached him at the counter. “Hi,” she greeted him with a cheerful smile, “What can I help you with?”

Handsome was one way to describe the man that came into Kaia’s shop. With a strong jawline and striking grey eyes beneath shaggy, jet black hair, the man appeared as mysterious as he did comely. And perhaps a little dangerous as well, if the two swords he carried on either side of his hip was anything to go by. Their blades remained sheathed for now, but in his experience, you could never tell how long they’d remain so. Given his choice; indefinitely. But even the friendliest of faces were known to turn on him after learning a little history.
Aezon never thought he saw a kinder face than the one beaming at him now. Though, her bright personality didn’t catch his attention nearly so much as her appearance. The people of Mist were often a rugged bunch. A harsh environment bred harsh individuals. But this girl appeared anything but rugged. She was soft, buxom and beautiful. Her light hair and vivid eyes told him she had to be from Radiance. He couldn’t help but wonder what such a delicate flower was doing out here in the swamp; so far from the luxuriously guarded walls of her people. Not that it was any of his business. The girl would likely turn her face up in disgust like all the others if she knew where he hailed from.

Leiku perked up as the neared the girl, ruffling his shapeless black wings before hopping down from his shoulder and onto the counter between them. Kaia’s lack of reaction told him the spirit concealed itself from her like most people. But he was definitely curious, shifting from the small winged form he’d been fond of lately to that of an inquisitive looking feline. He leaned in close to the girl for a casual sniff, though his rigid body was ready to leap away at any time. It was strange… Leiku seemed to keep his distance from almost anyone other than Aezon.
“I’m not sure if you can,” he admitted to her offer of help. “You might not have what I’m looking for.” Truth be told, Aezon found it difficult to even recall what that was. Leiku’s interest in her had distracted him nearly as much as meeting her gaze. Kaia’s oceanic eyes had a way of sucking him, making him forget why he’d even come here. “Um,” he mumbled, attempting to collect his thoughts. “Shadow Root,” he finally managed to blurt out. “I’m told the damp conditions out here are perfect for cultivating it. But finding a spot where it grows could be difficult.”
Aezon waited while she considered his request, hoping she would have what he needed or at least be able to tell him where to find it. There would be no way forward if he couldn’t get his hand on this ingredient; but he was resolved to see this journey through no matter what it took. That said, he was anxious to be on his way. Trouble tended to follow the he and Leiku like a bad omen. The longer the two of the stayed here, the more likely it would find them.

“Shadow Root…” Kaia knew it well enough, “Oh! I know it, though it’s not one of your everyday ingredients. There are a few uses for it if I’m not mistaken, but we don’t have a lot of demand.” She considered whether she’d seen any in stock. She looked at the strange man peculiarly, however, as he appeared to be watching something on the countertop. Kaia followed his eyes, and while she saw nothing there, she sword she could feel something. It was a strange sensation; indescribable to the point she wondered if it was another manifestation of her Ascendancy. The idea of possibility of giving her secret away to a stranger left her feeling vulnerable. And so she turned her back to him with a nervous laughter.

“You might be in luck,” she said, trying her best to brush off the strange feeling, “I think we have some around here…” Kaia did her best to keep it together while she scanned the shelves. She was certain she’d put some away just earlier, but with everything going on in her head she couldn’t remember where. It didn’t help that even with her back turned she could still feel a strange presence watching her. She tried telling herself it was just the customer gawking at how slow she was being… but in her gut she knew it was something else. The fact it was a spirit of all things, remained unbeknownst to her.

“Funny thing about Shadow Root,” Kaia said, breaking the awkward silence, “It’s actually not a root at all.” She found it helped to talk about things when she was feeling nervous. A little too much for some people, in fact, when it was something she knew a lot about. “It just looks like a root, but it’s actually a fungus. Its name is derived from some of its uses, but mainly because of the fact that it’s shy of sunlight.”

Recalling the unique properties of the mushroom caused her to remember it was kept in one of the drawers; not the shelves. She retrieved a satchel that had just enough to warrant a sale, and placed it upon the counter. The vibes she felt before were no less vivid now, hopefully not too apparent in the way she shied away from the invisible entity. “You know there’s not a whole lot of practical use for these, right? It was mostly used in rituals by some of the older cultures I think… Well anyway, let’s see how much to charge you for it.”

“Wait,” the gruff voice of her father called out, interrupting the exchange before Aezon could even contemplate reaching for his coin purse. “Why exactly do you need this?” Kai joined his daughter’s side, but he didn’t even give the man a chance to answer. “Black hair and grey eyes…” he mumbled, peering at Aezon from across the counter. His eyes narrowed as he pieced it all together. “You’re from the Shadow Tribe, aren’t you boy?”

“The Shadow Tribe?” Kaia repeated. Ordinarily she might have been taken aback by the disrespectful way her father spoke to the man, but her surprise distracted her from the fact. She’d never met anyone from the Fade before. Few people ever had; some even went so far as to say they’d all gone extinct. It wasn’t hard to believe, actually. After the events of the calamity that struck their world the centuries ago, the Shadow Tribe had been left a scattered people. Those who weren’t slaughtered were forced to live a nomadic life in a world unwilling to accept them. Her father never talked much of the people from the Fade. No one did; save to blame them for the tragedy ever having happened in the first place.

“I know what your people use this root for,” Kai went on, growling. “Your kind came close to destroying the world once already; I’ll be damned if you’re gonna use anything from my shop to do it again. Go on, get out! Your kind isn’t welcome here.”

“Father!” Kaia cried, shocked by how discourteous he was being. She knew the people from the Shadow Tribe were far from loved, but she never anticipated her father could show such hatred towards anyone. “Don’t you think you’re overreacting a little? He hasn’t done anything wrong. Honestly… how is he supposed to destroy the world with a fungus?”

“Kaia you stay out of this,” he snapped angrily, “And away from him!” He pointed an accusing finger at Aezon, sneering. “You heard me, boy. Leave! Before I give you a reason to draw those swords.”

Leiku hissed at the Kai’s threatening character and jumped from the counter. Mid-leap, the spirit changed forms yet again, shaping into the sleek, black wolf that Aezon was most familiar with. He took his place at Aezon’s side, a living shadow with smoldering eyes of red. Their ears were deaf of his guttural snarl, but it could reduce even the stoutest heart to fear. It was all just a display for now; the dreadfully shy spirit would never reveal itself if it was not essential.
Aezon would have liked to say he was surprised by the reaction, but animosity had become an old friend to him. That didn’t change much for the bad taste it put in his mouth, or the way he balled his fists to keep from giving the man a reason to wish he hadn’t drawn his blades. With civil exchange no longer an option, He was tempted enough to take what he needed by force. It would be easy, and as much as the man deserved for his prejudice. It was the memory of Saizo which held him back. Aezon knew he would have disappointed his grandfather for even contemplating such a thing.
“Fine,” he agreed to Kai’s demands. He passed a glance at Kaia, as if giving her the chance to break courtesy as well. It seemed she would not be so callous as her father, but nor would she be able to persuade him otherwise. After one last regretful look at the goods he’d nearly obtained, Aezon turned his back on both of them, stalking out of the shop without another word. Leiku threatened them with another deep growl before following in his wake. The spirit may have been invisible to them, but its negative energy pulsed through the shop, causing one of their jarred ingredients to fall over and shatter upon the ground.

The unplanned destruction made Aezon feel a little better as they stepped back out into the damp, heavy air. Aezon was quickly growing to dislike this province. He could expect that sort of treatment from anywhere, but the humidity and low visibility of this place had him anxious. He’d grown up learning how focus his senses and keep a constant awareness of his surroundings. But this Mist felt alien to him, hiding secrets in every corner. He was especially unaccustomed to the local’s ability to sneak up on him. He was started when one such individual popped right out of the mist, nearly crashing into him as he trudged a heavy work load back to the docks. The old man grumbled, eyeing him with annoyance.
“We need that Shadow Root, Leiku,” Aezon growled, trying to bite back his own frustration. “We won’t be able to walk the Rift without it.” The only question that remained was where to get it. He figured the mushroom had to grow somewhere nearby. The girl mentioned a low demand, so the herbalist wouldn’t go out of his way just to gather some. Perhaps he could find some in the wild if they searched the territory. The Mist natives had formed paths leading out of the village and through the swamps, but it would still be dangerous. The Mist was widely an untamed frontier, where a misstep could kill you as easily as the carnivorous fauna.
But Aezon was determined, remaining positive as he set off from the storefront and left the safety of the village. The trail seemed easy enough to follow at first, but as the evidence of civilization disappeared into the fog, he realized how complicated the simple task of hunting for mushrooms was going to be. The paths walked by the locals were winding, often splitting off into multiple directions. He tried to keep a good sense of their direction, but was one turn led to another in the wet jungle, confusion settled in. After finding himself at a dead end, Aezon traced his steps back, only to find another dead-end.

Aezon was never one to panic. He could have a short temper every now and then, but otherwise prided himself on his ability to keep a level head. Yet something about being lost in the Mist gave him a taste of fear he’d not known in a long time. This swamp felt strangely alive. The sound of wildlife shuffling through the brush was disconcerting. There was no telling what sort of creature could be stalking him from within the miasma, but the symphony of croaking frogs, chirping insects and outlandish birdcalls made it difficult to listen for. The danger of his situation was as palpable as the infamous mist for which the region was named.
Even Leiku was on edge, remaining close as he padded alongside him. The spirit growled at every sound, the inky black substance that served as fur coming to stand on end. He muddy terrain of the bog wasn’t a concern for an ethereal being such as him, at least. Where Aezon was lucky to avoid sloshing into a pool of knee-high, stagnant water every few minutes, the wolf spirit could sprint across the surface as though it were solid ground. “Must be nice,” Aezon grumbled at him after pulling free of the latest sludge he’d manage to stumble into.
“This isn’t working,” he was finally forced to declare. Finding a rare mushroom was the least of his problems; at this rate he wouldn’t even be able to find a way out of the bog. He had to get his barrens if he was going to survive this damned place. But his frustrations were getting the best of him, clouding his mind as bad as the mist clouded his vision. As he came upon a flat, open clearing, his grandfather’s lessons came back to him. Saizo taught him how fatal a turbulent mind could be in tense situations, and how meditation could help to sharpen one’s focus. It was far from an ideal location, but Aezon sat himself in position atop a large, mossy boulder. Eyes closed, Aezon focused on clearing his mind while Leiku patrolled the area, ready to pounce at the slightest hint of danger.

“Father, why did you do that?” Kaia still couldn’t believe Kai had actually kicked the poor man out of her shop. In all her years living in the village, she’d only ever known her father to be kind. Her father never hesitated to help the sick or the needy; even going so far as to turn down their money when it was offered to him. Yet this was a side of him she’d never seen before.
“Kaia, those people are dangerous!” he told her, angrily sweeping up broken glass from the mishap of Aezon’s departure. “He wasn’t here but five minutes and look what’s happened. Things don’t just fall of their own accord. It was Shadow magic!”
“I still think it was wrong to treat him that way,” she argued against her father, “He seemed perfectly reasonable to me.”

While Kaia was reluctant to believe the mysterious young man had caused the accident, she had to admit it was pretty strange. Not only that, but there was the peculiar sensation of a second presence around him. She could feel goosebumps forming just thinking about the weird occurrence. Despite that, there was just something about him…. some feeling she couldn’t shake. Kaia knew the Shadow Tribe was dangerous. The carelessness of their people had almost destroyed the world, after all. But she didn’t see why one individual should be spat upon over the actions of someone from 300 years ago.

Even though the specifics of exactly how it happened were lost to the ages, there was no denying the Shadow Tribe was responsible. It was from within their own sacred city that the ritual had been cast; a ritual to merge the realm of Shadow with that of the physical world. On that day, the skies blackened while the planet trembled. A great rift formed over the skies of their holy land, which spread to consume every living thing it touched. As the realms collided, the Rift continued to grow, stretching its tendrils to consume most of the Fade. The rest of the world would have been quick to follow if not for the Light Ascendants of Radiance. Though they were unable to reverse the damage or close the Rift, the Ascendants managed to keep it from spreading any further. The world appeared to be saved, but the truth was that the chaos had only just begun.

For centuries the 6 provinces lived in relative harmony. There were squabbles every now and then, but the idea of large scale war remained an unknown concept. That all changed in the wake of the collision. A long standing trust between nations was shattered by fear. The Shadow Ascendants completed a horrific act which had left their people decimated and the world scarred. Their sacred city of Everfade was left a ruin; a drained husk caught between the realm of the living and the dead where it was said no physical being could survive. How long before the Ascendants of another nation did something worse?

All provinces suffered in the fighting that followed, but none so much as the Shadow Tribe. The few who survived the destruction of their homeland were forced to lead nomadic lives in a world too terrified to accept them. It seemed like a combined hatred of their people was the one thing the other five lands consistently agreed upon. Many were killed out of anger and fear while anything relating to their scriptures and cultures was sought out and destroyed. The death toll in the years following began to rival that of the event of itself. Eventually, the High Ascendant of Radiance was able to unite the provinces under banner of peace again; albeit it fragile. The brutality finally came to an end, but the world would never be the same.

“Enough,” Kai ordered. “The Mist is all you’ve ever known, girl. You could not possibly begin to understand the motives of the other nations.”
Kaia felt her pride bruise a little over the comment. “I’ve read plenty of texts the other cultures!” she countered, “As many as you can find out in this wilderness anyway. How could I ever be expected to learn more when you scarcely even let me sail down river without throwing a fit?” She let out an angry huff, trying to keep her emotions from exploding out all at once. “But this is all beside the point. Our respect for a person should not boil down to where they come from. If you just…”
“I SAID ENOUGH, KAIA!!” Kai slammed a meaty fist down, knocking over a few small vials that went rolling across the table. “Have you forgotten what you are? Where you come from? You’re mother gave her life to see you safe. Are you so eager to see her sacrifice wasted? Now put that satchel where it came from and go straight back home!”

Her father’s words cut deep, and Kaia remained deathly silent as she gathered the satchel of Shadow Root and opened the drawer. But when going to replace it, she hesitated. A quick look over her shoulder said Kai was too distracted to notice her filching the contents and stealthily slipping them into her pocket. Her heart racing over what she’d done, she closed the drawer holding the now empty bag. Maybe she did it out of empathy for the Shadow Tribe boy. Maybe it was just out of the temptation of learning more about a seemingly dead culture. Or perhaps it was a way to get back at her father for the emotional blow she was dealt.

The tension was palpable as Kaia went to collect her bow and quiver from its resting place. She strung them over her back and passed one last doleful look at her father before leaving the shop as instructed. Home, however, was the last place she would be going. Kaia knew her parents just wanted to protect her, but she was a grown woman now not a child in need of coddling. She loved Kai and Lena with all her heart but she feared they would never come to understand that.

Kaia looked around, wondering where her mysterious customer disappeared to. It didn’t take her long to determine he’d left the village. Some kids kicking a ball around pointed out the direction they’d seen the strange dressed man go and she was able to pick up his tracks soon after. “I wonder why he came out this way…” She wondered, navigating the mists with a practiced step. If he was going to Kaja Lai or one of the other villages it was much safer by boat. But after seeing the way Kai treated him, maybe he couldn’t find one.

The wetlands were mostly a series of islands. Even the larger masses of land were dotted by large pools, and if you didn’t know the way it was all too easy to stumble into one. Kaia could tell her quarry was one such person. His tracks were easy to follow given his style in footwear. Most of her people wore simple rope sandals or nothing at all. While he blundered blindly through the fog, she was able to gracefully leap from one small island to the next, following his trail like a practiced hunter. Kaia learned long ago how to fine tune her senses to see through the haze. It was the only way to survive out here.

When she managed to trace his steps back to the clearing, Kaia slowed down to a crawl. The weird feeling she experienced back at the shop returned to her. It was so strange, yet somehow it drew her closer. Quiet as a mouse, she stalked through the reeds and took a closer look. She furrowed her brow as she noticed him sitting in absolute silence upon the round stone. Not only did she sense a sort of… energy coming from him as he sat in solitude, but she could swear she felt the presence of someone else. Surely her mind was playing tricks on her… but even the mist seemed to wisp around as if some unknown animal prowled within it.

She soon spotted another animal, however, when turning her attention back to the one meditating. A viper had managed to slither its way up the very boulder Aezon sat upon. Deep in his trance, he remained blind to the dangerous serpent creeping ever closer to his position. Kaia reacted in a flash, drawing her bow and nocking it without even thinking. She burst from her hiding place, popping out of the fog and wordlessly fired. Her arrow sunk directly into the viper’s head, dropping it dead just inches away from his knee. Kaia meanwhile screamed, tumbling back to her rear as a large pair of spectral-looking jaws materialized through the fog to snap at her face.

As he sat, Aezon focused on his breathing the way Saizo had taught him so many years ago. He inhaled deeply through his nose, taking in the misty air before exhaling through his mouth, slow and steady. As his body grew relaxed, Aezon looked passed his frustrations and concentrated on the world around him. In his meditative state, he could feel how alive the wetlands truly were. Hidden beneath the endless orchestra of singing insects, he could hear two rodents scurrying through the nearby brush. They chased one another for a time before going still at the sound of swooping wings. A much larger animal splashed across a sodden pool in the distance, and if he listened beyond that he could pick out the sound of the river’s flow to the west.
A light sigh of relief passed his lips as he came to better understand his surroundings. Now that he knew where the river was, he could at the very least follow it back to the village. With the bulk of his concern addressed, he untethered himself from the rest of his burdens and let his mind wander free. The sounds of the marsh all seemed to blend as one the further Aezon separated himself from the physical. He was scarcely aware of the large stone he perched upon let alone the unwelcome denizen sidling towards him.
Even Leiku failed to notice the snake. The spirit’s attention had instead, been captured by another. He was curious at first, sensing the familiar girl long before actually spotting her. Something about the girl must have kept him at ease; ordinarily he would have alerted Aezon long before she could have gotten so close. Instead, the spirit remained perfectly still. His glowing, ruby colored eyes peered right at her hiding spot in the reeds. It wasn’t until the girl drew her weapon did he finally snarl, which brought Aezon’s eyes to finally open.
Everything happened in a flash; Aezon jumping startled from the unexpected arrow while Leiku fell upon the stalker with one mighty lunge. His large, monstrous jaws appeared first, snapping shut in warning while the rest of his pitch-black body came to light. In the Shadow Spirit’s anger, cryptic symbols scrawled across Leiku’s form. A glowing red scarlet, the tattoo-like markings seemed to pulse with energy, revealing the sort of being this wolf truly was. As if that wasn’t intimidating enough, Leiku held himself over the fallen girl, appearing to grow larger as he kept his snarling maw just inches from the girl’s face.

Aezon’s heart was racing by the time his feet hit the ground. On instinct, he drew his swords with lightning quick reflexes. The two, short-bladed shamshirs held a wicked appearance in the thick haze. Yet no sooner had he armed himself than he came to terms with exactly what happened. When his eyes found the snake he recognized it at once; one bite and he would have been lucky to make it 10 minutes before respiratory failure set in. The reality of having been so close to death without even realizing it was surreal. Though Aezon figured his unanticipated guest was feeling much the same way.
“Leiku.” He said the spirit’s name almost as though it was a request. The wolf backed away in response, but continued to snarl nonetheless. Likewise, Aezon would not sheath his blades just yet. “I suppose I should thank you,” he started to say, watching the girl closely, “But before I do that why don’t you tell me what you’re doing sneaking up on us in the first place?”
People had jumped Aezon more than once in his lifetime. He wasn’t sure this girl was out to attack him, but it was difficult to imagine any other reason the she would have followed him out here. He grew up learning to never take chances. Leiku wasn’t quite ready to trust her either. The formidable wolf remained ready to lunge. He kept himself between her and him, making the deadly blades he wielded the least or her worries.

Kaia usually handled herself pretty well in tense situations. She was known to meet dangerous situations headfirst, a talent her parents cursed at every turn. That meant she had a fair share of run-ins with deadly critters in the wetlands, but never had she encountered a creature like the giant wolf pinning her down. Her eyes were wide as tea-cups as she stared into the snarling fangs that could easily rip her to shreds. Kaia’s heart raced with fear, but she knew better than to make any sudden moves. She had very little interest in becoming a snack, after all.
She knew that looking the animal in the eye could be taken as a challenge, but Kaia couldn’t help herself. The spirit’s crimson orbs held her gaze like as though they were looking right into her very being. The force behind those eyes was… indescribable. Kaia had never seen a spirit before, but it all came together as she remembered the stories Kai used to tell her. He taught her that spirits were always present, but usually hid from the eyes of mortals. It explained the presence she felt when they came into the shop earlier, but not the how or why she sensed it.

As the spirit was called back, Kaia felt like she could finally breathe again. A look of relief flooded her face but she remained cautious while getting back to her feet. She kept every movement slow and deliberate, letting the wolf see that she meant no harm as she reached for her bow. It growled all the same, drilling through her soul with its vibrant red eyes. “I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to surprise you!” Kaia pleaded, holding up her hands once her bow was safely looped over her shoulder again. “I just saw the snake and… well I thought if I called out a warning I could have made things worse.”

None of that of course answered the question of what she was doing here. Kaia actually had a hard time remembering herself. Everything became muddled after her brush with a literal spirit of death. “I felt bad about the way my father treated you,” she was able to say after giving her nerves a chance to come down. “Kai’s usually very friendly he’s just… a little over protective of me.” Much like this man’s wolf spirit seemed to be. She took a few steps forward but another snarl made her hesitate. The chilling sound made her arm hairs stand on end. “But that doesn’t justify the way he spoke to you. I brought you something to make up for it.”

Looking between the man and his spirit, Kaia reached into her pocket. Leiku still seemed unsure, but waited, seemingly curious as though he too understood her words. She didn’t know if spirits could understand human speech, but it would be easy to believe after seeing the sort of intelligence that was deep within those eyes. When he stopped growling all together upon seeing the Shadow Root she stole for them, Kaia knew she was safe to approach the man he protected. She kept her steps nice and slow, wearing a nervous smile as she passed the large wolf and handed the oddly shaped mushroom to him.

She appraised the man more closely now that she knew he was part of the Shadow Tribe. The evidence of his hard life was pretty evident to her. Kaia always had a good intuition about people, as though she could feel the sort of hardships a person had gone through from a single look. It wasn’t until recently that she suspected maybe it was part of her ascendancy. She heard tales about people who could read the aura of an individual; could that be what she was doing when she felt the spirit? She didn’t know for sure, but her insight told her she had nothing to fear from this man like Kai believed.

“It’s yours,” she told him, making sure he accepted the gift. “I figured it was the least I could do…” Her eyes timidly shifted to Leiku. She remembered reading somewhere that powerful enough ascendants could bind spirits to their will. Did that mean he was an ascendant as well? A treacherous excitement filled her as she considered it. Shadow Ascendants were responsible for nearly destroying their world, but here she was stealing ingredients for one! If he truly was an ascendant like her, maybe he could even tell her a few things.

Kaia was burning with questions, but given her situation and her father’s outburst, she couldn’t just start shooting them off. “So….” She started, wondering how best to strike up a conversation with a dangerous stranger in the middle of a hostile wilderness, “Uhhh...” she looked around for an angle where she found the dead viper. “You hungry?” she finally blurted with a big smile. It was like her mother always said; if you want to get information out of a person it was always best to butter them up over a nice meal. And, she wasn’t sure if all Shadow Tribe people went around donning such weary expressions, but he looked pretty famished to her.

Kaia walked passed him and retrieved her kill. “I’m not quite as good a chef as I am a shot,” she warned, casually ripping the arrow out of the serpent’s head, “But I roast a pretty good snake.” She wasn’t going to take no for an answer, it seemed, as she pulled a knife from her belt and went to gutting the creature right where she stood. “Oh I’m Kaia, by the way,” she announced. It was clear this girl was far from just a pretty face, as she interrupted her work and extended a bloody hand for him to awkwardly shake. “Have a seat. This won’t take me long."

Aezon watched Kaia with uncertainty. No one outside of his immediate family had ever gone out of their way to be kind to him, so needless to say he was skeptical when she reached into her pockets. When he saw what she retrieved, however, his demeanor softened even as his suspicions remained. Was this some sort of trick? Leiku didn’t seem to think so. Revealing himself to her was one thing, but allowing her to approach them was truly unexpected. Aezon decided to follow his example and sheath his swords back where they belonged.
Looking at the Shadow Root, he could scarcely believe it was the real thing. His mind ran with questions of why she would do this for him. As far as discourtesy went, her father was on the pleasant side of things. At least he hadn’t attacked or outright insulted him. But he wasn’t about to argue with her decision; his need was too great. And so he accepted the mushroom from her, uncertain of what to say.
Fortunately that didn’t seem to be a problem, as Kaia could talk enough for both of them. Aezon had never seen anyone quite so bubbly and exuberant. He didn’t even have a chance to turn down her offer before she pulled a knife and was skinning the animal right in front of him. His brows rose as he watched her clean her kill with a practiced hand. It was a rough and tumble approach he never would have expected from someone like her. The prim and proper ladies of Radiance wouldn’t be caught dead eating a snake, let alone butchering one.
“Um…” Aezon hesitated, spying the grubby hand she proffered. He didn’t want to be rude after she’d gone out of her way to help him, so he reluctantly shook it. “Aezon,” he modestly replied before wiping his hand clean on a pants leg while she returned to her work. Seeing the girl would not be persuaded to just leave them in peace, Aezon passed a hopeless look at Leiku. However, if the spirit had plans to run her off for him it seemed it wouldn’t be anytime soon. The great black wolf had taken to lying down and watching Kaia prepare the snake with a keen interest.

Seeing as he was stuck with her for now, Aezon tucked away the Shadow Root and followed her advice. He sat down next to Leiku, his stormy eyes following the girl’s actions just as closely as the shadow spirit’s. While Leiku was interested in the process, Aezon wanted to make sure this wasn’t some elaborate way to fool him. He couldn’t remember the last time his food was prepared by someone other than himself. It was an uneasy feeling watching a stranger suddenly take on the responsibility. His doubts nagged him, but he couldn’t quite shake his curiosity either.
He pegged Kaia as hailing from Radiance the moment he saw her. It wasn’t often their people left the walls of the City of Light, but he’d seen enough of them in his travels to recognize the silver hair and fair skin they usually bore. Yet, she called the shopkeeper he father. With their dark hair and bulky shapes, people of the Mist looked nothing like the beauty before him. He knew there had to be an interesting story of what she was doing out in the wetlands, but it didn’t feel right to ask about it. He had no desire to share anything about himself, after all.
It didn’t feel right sitting in complete silence either though, leaving Aezon to contemplate on something to say to his unintended dinner guest. No matter what false pleasantries came to mind, he could only think to ask the one that he truly could not figure out. “Why are you doing this?” He looked at her critically, as though she were a puzzle to be solved. “Don’t you know what I am? What my people are responsible for?” His attention fell to the gutted viper, at which he frowned. “And aren’t those things poisonous?” he added at the end. Perhaps that was her plan all along; to literally kill him with kindness.

“They’re venomous actually,” Kaia corrected Aezon, “Not poisonous. And they’re perfectly safe to eat if cooked properly.” Kaia remained focused on her work even as she spoke. Every movement was precise as she peeled back the skin of the animal to reveal the meat inside. “And as for your other question,” she continued, “Was it you specifically who opened the Rift and nearly destroyed the world all those years ago? If so you look very good for your age.” She smiled at him, hoping he wouldn’t take offense to her sarcastic nature. “Personally I don’t believe in holding an entire culture of people responsible for something that happened centuries ago.”

Kaia made short work of the snake and set both the skin and meat on a large, flat rock for safe keeping when finished. She moved on to building a fire next, which could be especially difficult out in the damp conditions of the Mist. She gathered some dead twigs and peeled the wet layers of bark off to expose the drier below. She then split each piece of wood, as smaller pieces would light faster. Luckily, she knew enough to never leave home without a flint stone and small wad of dry tinder in her pocket.

Forming a mound instead of a pit, Kaia shaped her firewood with the tinder at the center. When she was satisfied with her build, she attempted to light the fire low from the windward side. It took a few tries, but when flames finally sparked, the air flow helped the fire to spread quickly. She found a couple of longer sticks to hang above the flames which she then laid the snake meat across. It sizzled in the heat, while Kaia watched for an even, tender cook.

Kaia was conscious of both Aezon and Leiku watching her the entire time. She would occasionally look up to meet their gazes, but when it came to talking she felt like her tongue was fat and swollen. There were so many things she could think to ask him, but the words just wouldn’t form. After a long enough time though, the silence between them was growing just as awkward as anything she could think to say. Of all her curiosity, she wondered most about the spirit. Her eyes fell on the huge wolf, still amazed by what it truly was.

“I’ve never seen a spirit before,” she managed to say at last, “Nor met anyone who could command one. You called it Leiku, didn’t you?” Her father never told her stories about a spirit by that name, though very few if any of his tales involved Shadow Spirits. She knew little and less of the beings that called the Fade lands their home. Most of that knowledge was lost; destroyed by those who feared what the Shadow Tribe was capable of. “I thought only High Ascendants were capable of binding a spirit to their will. You must be really powerful to accomplish that.”

Kaia looked at him expectantly, hoping he would start to tell her all the amazing details about his ascendancy. Yet, she could tell how guarded he was. It was be foolish to think he would start spilling his life’s story to a stranger. Let alone a stranger that snuck up on them in a dangerous wilderness after being rudely treated by her kin. But Kaia was never one to turn down meeting new people in interesting ways. Her bad habit of talking when she was nervous however, kept her prattling on before he even had a chance to reply.

“They say the Shadow Tribe live a nomadic existence now. I’ll bet you’ve been to all sorts of places, haven’t you? Oh the things you must have seen! Have you ever been to the Boil? I imagine you’ve been everywhere if you’re strong enough to bind a spirit. I’ve heard Fire Ascendants of the Boil only have to touch you, and they can burn straight through your body! They call it the Molten Kiss… Sounds made up to me, but I’m sure someone as well-traveled as you would know better.” Not that he’d even told her he was well-traveled. But Kaia couldn’t imagine otherwise.

“The food shouldn’t take much longer,” she promised. She flipped the meat, making sure to get a nice even cook on both sides. “So are all Shadow spirits wolves? I never pictured them as animals before. I’d always sort of thought of them as shapeless beings or something. Hmm… you really don’t say much, do you?” Kaia blurted at the end, completely oblivious to the fact her mouth hadn’t stopped running since it opened.

Aezon wasn’t exactly sure how to handle the abrupt stream of words that came pouring out of Kaia. He could scarcely follow everything she said, let alone get a word in edgewise. With his brows furrowed, he could only stare at her in surprise. Aezon hadn’t met many strangers, but it was possible she’d already said more than all of them combined. He’d never seen anyone so excitable about a chance to speak with him.
“It just seems like you have so much to say,” Aezon countered at the end of her jabbering. Honestly, what did she expect him to do, talk over her? Now that he actually had a chance to speak, he didn’t even know where to begin. Most interesting perhaps was her quick dismissal of the fact he was Shadow Tribe. He didn’t expect to meet anyone who shared O’shai’s viewpoint of him again anytime soon, let alone the same day. The people of the Mist had more reason to hate his kind than most; the Rift was practically on the doorstep of their province after all.
Despite the niceties, he couldn’t help but narrow his eyes at Kaia’s naïve assumptions. “I didn’t bind Leiku to anything,” he told her flatly. “He travels with me because it is his choice. He is my friend, not my slave.” He only realized after the fact that his words sounded a little harsher than intended. There was a certain level of abrasiveness that he’d adapted through his dealings with people. So exchanging pleasantries would be a work in progress to say the least.

Aezon pulled his attention away from the alluring girl, only to find Leiku watching him as well. Never had he been so envious of the spirit’s lack of communication skills. He couldn’t be expected to have a conversation with the girl if he could just turn into a giant wolf and dash off into the fog. Indeed, Leiku was as content as could be to have a stranger around for once. The red insignias had vanished from his inky-black body, but his glowing scarlet eyes made him appear no less intimidating. The same could not be said for his posture, which couldn’t have been more relaxed as he stretched out and lifted his head to sniff at the smell of cooked meat wafting across the damp air.
Aezon wasn’t quite as ready to accept the girl as his friend seemed to be, but if Leiku liked her the least he could do was put in some effort. “Sorry…” he apologized for his tone. “I’m not so good at this sort of thing. I haven’t really had a whole lot of agreeable interactions with other people so…” Aezon’s voice trailed off. He didn’t really expect her to understand his situation, nor did he really have the words to make her comprehend it. She would never be hated everywhere she went. Given her bubbly personality and obvious heritage, Aezon was sure it was quite the opposite.
“You were half right,” he said, quickly evading the negative topic, “Spirits are technically formless… when they want to be.” Aezon raised his hand, gesturing to Leiku. The wolf sat up and cocked his head, and just like that, his shape melted right before her very eyes. In an instant, he shrank to the size and form of a small hummingbird, which hastily fluttered over to land on Aezon’s pointer finger. The black bird watched Kaia with its trade-mark red eyes she’d have grown familiar with enough to recognize by now. “Most of them prefer to take on whatever shape they deem fitting, however. For Leiku, that’s usually a wolf. But no, that’s not true for all shadow spirits. They’re usually too shy to even reveal themselves.”
Aezon bounced his hand up, letting Leiku flutter away to perch on a fat cattail instead. He remained in the shape of the bird for now, probably just to remain contrary to Aezon’s summary. The spirit always did seem to have a stubbornly ironic sense of personality. “Though I have to admit,” Aezon started, “I’m surprised you’ve never seen a spirit before. I’ve heard Radiance is full of Light spirits. That’s part of what gives the city its glow. Not that they would ever let me through the city walls to see it myself.”
Aezon was suddenly aware he’d mimicked her mistake, presuming things he clearly knew nothing about. “You know…” he stammered, running a hand through his shaggy black hair as he chewed on his words, “Not to assume or anything… but you certainly look like you came straight out of Radiance. Why you would ditch the capital city and come down to the swamp is beyond me. I mean, those stuck-up fancy Light Ascendants are no picnic but at least you can see more than 10 feet in front of you there.”
Aezon forced a short awkward laugh, consciously aware he’d been twice as insensitive in his attempt to brush aside his assumptions. It was probably best he stopped talking for now, he realized, as he looked upon her with a shy smile. Maybe she would just chock it up to nervousness. He did warn her he was bad at this sort of thing after all… More likely she would take offense though. Perhaps by the end of the day, he’d be back down to having only one friendly face left in the Mist.

Kaia blushed, embarrassed when she registered Aezon’s response. Leave it to her to go blathering on, acting a fool in front of him. She gave herself a mental kick, trying to break out of her bad habit of prattling. To make matters worse, he didn’t seem very happy with the way she’d spoken of his spirit. She chewed over an apology while she finished cooking up their meal. Yet she was surprised to find him the one apologizing. She couldn’t imagine how awful it must have been to be hated everywhere you go. It struck her with a pang of empathy; though her instincts told her Aezon was not the kind of man who welcomed pity about such things.

She chewed her lip to keep more questions and random nonsense from spewing out while silently wondering about him. All her life Kaia had a fascination for learning new things. She’d read every book she could get her hands on; which was unfortunately never enough. Even the grand library at the college in the Breath probably couldn’t sate her thirst for erudition. But of all those countless books, none were like to have any information on Aezon’s people. Their purge from history meant this could be her one chance to learn about the Shadow Tribe, and she was doing a fine job of mucking it up so far.

She died to know more. Sensitive though it was she wanted to know what life was like for a nomadic outcast. And even more still, she longed to hear the story of how one just happened to make friends with a spirit. Surely that was the sort of tale you only heard of in legends. Oh to think the journeys he must have been on. It was a surprise and delight then, when he explained how Shadow Spirits could shape shift. To just hear about it might have been hard to believe, but her eyes went wide with wonder when Leiku actually demonstrated it.

“That’s incredible!” Kaia exclaimed, jumping to her feet. She could feel another wave of yammering bubbling up to the surface, but managed to suppress her excitement this time. She’d become so enthused in the display however, that she failed to notice the flames of the fire licking their meal a little over long. “I’ve never seen anything like that!” Not that she’d seen much outside of the Mist anyway. Kaia however, became taut when Aezon brought up Radiance. All at once, her relentless chatting was brought to a dead silence.

It wasn’t like she wasn’t used to being called out as a foreigner. Kaia stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the average Mist affair. Few however, had been so accurate in assuming where she came from. Radiance was on the other side of the continent and its citizens were notorious for remaining within the safety of its borders. It was unlikely anyone would come from so far just to end up at her shop. She could recall a lady from Florana making the connection once. Thankfully, Kai had not been around to witness the comment. He may very well have treated the woman just as unkindly as he had Aezon.

Kai and Lena’s warning came rushing back to her, stoking her fears. Stuck up fancy Light Ascendants? Was he trying to say something? Did he already know about her secret? Was this some elaborate trick to get her out here alone? Maybe her father was right; maybe he was using Shadow Magic after all! Who knew what Shadow Ascendants were capable of? A million terrible thoughts swarmed her all at once. And yet, as she looked into his unquestionably soft eyes, her anxiety began to melt away.

Kaia had always been something of an empath. Maybe it was all a part of her Ascendancy, she really couldn’t say, but she had a particular way of sensing people’s emotions; of feeling their intentions. She couldn’t really explain it, she didn’t even fully understand it herself, but her keen intuition of people had served her more than once. And right now it was telling her that Aezon harbored no ill intentions. But still. Could she trust him with her secrets?

“Um,” she stammered, not entirely sure what to say, “I’ve never actually been--Oh! Oh no!” Kaia’s attention was stolen by the smell of burning meat. She promptly rounded on her heels, returning to her job to salvage what she could. Luckily, their snake skewers hadn’t suffered too much damage. They had some questionably blackened crispy bits by the time they were off the fire, but were otherwise edible. She took one in each hand before turning back to face him. She took a deep breath, trying to swallow down her nervousness once and for all before she approached him.

“S-sorry,” she apologized for the fruit of her efforts, “It’s a little overcooked but still good to eat.” She handed him one of the skewers with a shy smile before moving to sit down next to him. She took a big bite of hers, chewing on her thoughts as well as her food. Finally, she decided to just be upfront with him about a few things. Maybe he would do the same in return. After all, was that not how strangers became friends?

“I’ve never actually been; to Radiance I mean. I was born there, but my parents died when I was too little to remember any of it. This is the only life I’ve ever known.” And what a life it was. The high class society of Radiance would be in for a culture shock if that saw her sitting in a swamp, munching on charred snake with hands still bloodied from her kill. No doubt the fine ladies in their beautiful dresses would find the girl a lost cause if she ever saw fit to return to her original home.

“So,” she started, smiling as she sought to shift the topic off of her past and on to something more interesting, “How does one become friends with a spirit?” She looked up at Leiku perched above them. The small bird looked like a puffy little ball of darkness with tiny red jewels inside. It was hard to shake her amazement over the fact he’d just been a great, spectral wolf just moments before. The other villagers probably wouldn’t believe her if she told them. If she hadn’t seen such a thing with her own eyes, it would have been difficult for her to believe also.

Aezon quickly noted Kaia’s sudden shift in mood. Stiff posture, tight lipped… this was a look he was more accustomed to than Kaia’s bubbly attempts at kindness. Usually people display such traits when they learned he was of the Fade. This was the first time he’d seen someone go so rigid at the mention of Radiance. Was it because he offended her with his comment? Or was there maybe something bigger at the root of her shutdown? Kaia was called away to save their meal before he could find out.

Aezon watched while she attempted to salvage the neglected meat, his gloomy eyes appraising her with a new level of curiosity. He couldn’t help but wonder what she started to say before the distraction. But there was a bubble of tension on the air now. He could practically feel her combating with herself over what to say to him. Too often had he the need to consider his words, to come up with some lie or excuse to keep people from finding out truths about him. No doubt, whatever he said was causing this girl to do the same.

So he didn’t say anything after that. He let her mull the thoughts over, not wanting to give her the wrong impression. Whatever this girl had to hide was none of his business or his concern. She may have insisted on repasting with him, but he didn’t expect to see her again beyond this one encounter. As soon as this meal was finished he intended to be on his way; back on the pilgrimage that had brought him so very far across the continent. And there was still a long way to go; his journey yet fraught with peril no doubt.

Aezon accepted the skewer from her with a nod of thanks; albeit it one of uncertainty. He’d hunted and eaten all manner of animals before, but snake was a new one. It was difficult not to think of the deadly venom that would have killed him when the viper was alive, making him somewhat hesitant to take the first bite. But Kaia had done him a great favor, both in bringing him the shadow root as well as slaying the potential threat now thoroughly cooked. So he decided to trust her, hoping for the best as he took a little nibble.

It was surprisingly insipid; devoid of much flavor, tough to chew and filled with pokey little bones he had to pluck out. The over cooking really didn’t help the situation much either. But it did not cause his breathing to stop as feared. So as far as Aezon was concerned, it was just fine. Still, he didn’t think he’d be traveling back to the Mist for its cuisine anytime soon. He didn’t let any of that show to Kaia, though. His face remained placid, wearing an unreadable expression whilst he pecked at the odd food beside her.

For the most part, Aezon had been pretty good about averting his gaze from the girl. It was hard not to be shy when he really wasn’t very good at talking to people. When she confessed the truth about her past and her parents though, he looked upon her with empathy written in his eyes. He couldn’t bring himself to share it with her, but the matter about her parents was certainly relatable. It was a difficult thing to never know your true parents; to spend your life wondering. Her discomfort in talking about it was apparent, so he let it go without further comment.

His attention shifted up, his stormy gray eyes considering Leiku when she shifted topics to the spirit. The memory of the first time he’d met his stalwart friend remained as vivid as though it happened but days ago. But, how much of that could he really tell her? Kaia seemed accepting of them so far, but nothing could fully erase the general fear of his people and their customs. If she knew the truth of where he’d been and what he’d been doing when he met the spirit, she would surely consider him an abomination along with her father. He was not looking for her to regret the decision of stealing the Shadow Root for him just yet.

“He saved my life,” he told her honestly, thinking of how best to explain things without specific detail. “I won’t go into the details, but suffice it to say I found myself lost in a very dangerous place. It didn’t take long for me to run into trouble and once I did, there was no getting out of it. In that instant, when all hope was lost and death seemed inevitable, I’d never felt so alone…” His voice trailed off as he remembered the horrific feeling; remembered how close he came to giving up and giving in.

“That’s when Leiku appeared out of nowhere,” he explained after a moment. “He chased off the peril and dragged me to safety. If not for him, I could not have hoped to survive.” He looked fondly at the little black spirit that had fought so hard to keep him alive that day. “When I recovered and was fit for travel again, I tried to say my goodbyes and my thanks. But as I turned to walk away, he followed in my wake. He refused to leave my side, and has continued to do so every day since.” He smiled, thinking back to the earliest days of their partnership. “I’m still not sure why he took such an interest in me. But full glad am I that he did.” It wasn’t the most comprehensive story, but it was perhaps one of the most meaningful things he’d ever told anyone about himself. For some reason, that made him strangely uncomfortable…

With his snake skewer mostly finished, Aezon rose to his feet, stretching his tired muscles while Leiku fluttered down to take a place on his shoulder. “I owe you my thanks Kaia,” he went on to say, looking down at the girl. “Ours is a meeting I shan’t soon forget, I think, but now we must take our leave. The road is long, and I would put as much of it behind us as possible while the daylight remains.” It was quite the abrupt decision, but he gave her little chance to contest it as he extended his hand to once again shake in farewell. Aezon wasn’t sure how she would take his choice to eat and run, but he never claimed to be good at these sorts of things.

Kaia listened with bated breath when Aezon told his story of meeting Leiku. Even without the details it was an interesting tale, though the lack of them had her practically burning to know more. Where was this dangerous place, and what sort of peril did he find himself in? It was terribly hard not to blurt the questions out loud, but she wanted to respect his privacy. There had to be some reason he didn’t want to elaborate though, and that had her just as curious. In his prejudice, her father might have told her it was as good a reason not to trust this man as any. But hearing Aezon speak of Leiku with such fondness, Kaia couldn’t possibly see a reason to think badly of him. The way he smiled in reminiscence was nothing but endearing in her eyes.

“That’s incredible,” she exclaimed once he finished the story. She looked up at the small black spirit, right into its glowing eyes. What other shapes could Leiku take on she wondered. Could he grow to monstrous proportions like the beasts of legend? Or was a dire wolf the extent of his might? Even though he was currently a little thing, she could feel a great sort of power behind those jeweled orbs. “You’re so lucky to have found each other,” Kaia said admiringly. “Clearly you make good friends!” She found herself a little envious over her mysterious companion’s exploits. Traveling in the midst of danger only to be saved by and become lifelong friends with a spirit. Even the occasional travelers they received in her father’s shop could not claim to have experience such an amazing event.

“I’d give anything to have an adventure like that,” Kaia told him dreamily. “Even despite all the danger, I’ve always wished I could really get out there and explore the world I’ve spent so much time only reading about.” Kaia sighed dejectedly, tossing aside her snake skewer as she came to terms with the fact it would remain simply a pipe dream. “It’s so amazing you get to do those sorts of things.” Kaia beamed at him, though when the words left her mouth she became aware that they might be insensitive. It wasn’t as though the Shadow people chose to be nomads. They had a home too once before it was destroyed by the Rift and decimated their population. “I mean…” she stammered, unsure what to say, “I’m sure it’s been difficult though. I can’t even imagine the sort of things you must have gone through. But at least you have Leiku to help if you get into trouble again, right?”

Kaia smiled up at the little bird spirit, still fascinated by their unique partnership. This was encounter she was sure never to forget. But just as soon as it began, it was over. Aezon rose from his seat and bid his farewells while Kaia was blindsided by the suddenness of it all. Perhaps she her words were more offensive than she thought? She jumped up to her feet alongside him, nervously looking for words to convince him otherwise. There was still so much she was hoping to talk about, but she also didn’t want to be overbearing. “Oh, really?” She said, sounding disappointed. “That’s a shame, I was enjoying our conversation. But um…” Her eyes shifted over his apparel, taking note of the muck and slime he’d accumulated in his venture through the swamps.

“If you don’t mind my asking, where are you heading? Kaja Lai I presume?” Where else? Aside from a few large villages there were few notable places in the Mist, and this wasn’t the sort of land you just came journeying through without good reason. “I don’t mean to pry,” she explained, hoping he wouldn’t see it as an invasion, “It’s just I noticed you’re a little new here and the Mist is a dangerous place. A misstep here can kill you as easily as anything else and it looks like you’ve had a few already.” She could help but giggle a little at the evidence of his misfortunes. Though honestly, it was no laughing matter. Step in the wrong bog and it’d take a miracle to get you back out.

“You’re lucky you didn’t happen along a swamp dragon. They’ve been known to hunt the occasional wayfarer. It’s usually best to hire a boat. Was-Was no one willing to take you? Anyway, I'm sorry! I know it’s not really any of my business but…” Kaia took a breath, telling her brain to just get to the point already. “Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is I’d be happy to help point you in the right direction. If you’d welcome the help, that is.”

A faint smile came across Aezon’s lips when Kaia spoke of her heart’s desire. It was ironic to think this girl would have given anything to travel from place to place while he would have given anything just to have a place he could truly call home. Even so, he could not deny the truth in her words. As hard as nomadic life could be, he still had trouble imagining anything else. After having come so far and seen so much, he wondered if it would even be possible. Guess I don’t have to worry about it, Aezon thought as he prepared to part ways with Kaia once and for all. It wasn’t like any of the Provinces were about to offer room and board to a Shadow Tribe boy, let alone permanent residence.

Despite that, Kaia seemed all too eager to keep him around. Aezon turned to face her with a puzzled look, keen to notice the way she seemed to search for the words to delay him. Naturally his mind jumped to the suspicious, but she’d been hospitable enough so far. Then again, there was no denying the judgment in the way her eyes swept up and down his form. Heat swelled in his cheeks as she commented on his hardships in the bog. Truthfully, he’d never felt quite so frustrated as he did wandering alone in this wilderness. He’d spent most of his life on the outskirts of civilization, but the terrain here could batter a man down without even trying. If the hazardous terrain and lack of visibility wasn’t enough to test your sanity, it was only a matter of time before the mosquitoes and other insects would.

“A swamp dragon?” Aezon blurted, his brows furrowed. He’d never heard of such a beast, but if the name and her words of warning were anything to go by, the Mist had just become even more ominous than he thought. It was a foreboding idea to leave him with as Kaia trailed off, once more rifling for the proper words as she struggled to reach her point. When at last came her offer for help, Aezon’s stormy eyes lit with surprise. “You’ve helped me plenty already,” he said, fighting the urge to question she would continue to do so, “I couldn’t ask any more of you.” While he had to admit her assistance could be useful seeing him through this lethal country, the idea of accepting it felt… uncomfortable. Not only was he not accustomed to such offers, but Kaja Lai was not his destination. But Aezon couldn’t dare tell her where they were truly headed, so he went along with it for now.

“I’m sure I could make it there easy enough on my own…” he said, trying to brush her off. Yet, Aezon found himself teetering on the edge of turning her down. Something about looking into her blue-green eyes, bright and glowing, held him at bay. Looking at her, it seemed as awkward and difficult to deny her help as it was to accept it. Suddenly, the words came out of his mouth before he could think the better of it. “But if you could show me the way that’d be great.” He kicked himself as soon as he said it, grumbling that now he would have to play along as though he were truly going to the Mist capitol. Why didn’t I just tell her to leave me be? He wondered. Am I that much of a sap for a pretty face? “Maybe back to the crossroads at least,” he uttered suddenly, trying to quell that thought as well as avoid being led too far in the wrong direction. “I can find my way from there. That is… assuming I don’t run into any of these swamp dragons.” He gave her another shy smile, stepping aside to lead the way. Leiku meanwhile remained on his shoulder, fluttering with impatience while glancing between the bumbling pair.

“They’re these massive lizards!” Kaia explained vigorously, “With huge claws and teeth sharp enough to put your swords to shame. They’re great swimmers and even faster runners. If one catches you by surprise, it could take your arm off before you even knew what happened…” She was prepared to say more, but realized she was getting dangerously close to rambling again. Surely he wasn’t looking to hear a lengthy explanation about what creatures might be lurking in the swamp. And honestly, she shouldn’t have cared to given one. All this time speaking and her nervous chatter kept her driveling on instead of broaching the topics she really wanted. To her dismay, it seemed things would remain that way as he appeared to reject her offer of guiding him safely.

Kaia could only imagine the sort of things he must have been thinking, her heart all a flutter while Aezon appraised her with a peculiar gaze. Why was he hesitating? Her mind ran with the possibilities, hoping she hadn’t made a mistake when speaking of Radiance. She hadn’t said much, but if Kai and Lena’s ominous threats were anything to be believed, it might be enough to seal her fate. Yet when the words finally came, Kaia found herself both relieved and surprised. The young man appeared to be so guarded that she never expected him to change his mind like that. No matter, the acceptance had her beaming. With any luck she’d be able to talk with him a little more after all. While she was still reluctant to reveal her own situation, she remained eager to learn more about Aezon; specifically if he was an Ascendant as Kaia suspected.

“Great!” She blurted, unable to hide her joy over his decision. “I guess we’d better get going then.” Tentatively, she stalked forward, mulling over how best to bring up her curiosity. None of the ways she might approach the topic felt right, however. Perhaps it would have been best to come right out and ask him, but Kaia imagined what her own reaction would be if someone pointedly asked if she was an Ascendant. Such a thought was enough to squash any ideas about using that tactic. But then, how? She pondered silently.

Leading the way back towards the crossroads, Kaia stole a fleeting glance over her shoulder, spying Aezon and Leiku as they followed behind. Words were on the tip of her tongue, but she could not summon them forth. Why is he so hard to talk to? She wondered. More often than not she had trouble holding her questions back, not bringing them forth. Was it simply her fears of him learning the truth about her? Or was it something more than that? He did have a sort of intimidating air about him, even without the spirit at his side. Perhaps all the rumors and legends about the Shadow Tribe had gotten to her after all, a touch of fear overriding her inquisitiveness.

For now, Kaia decided to focus on the task at hand. As they trekked further into the bog, she pointed out spots which could easily deceive a traveler. “Sometimes the ground isn’t as firm as it appears,” she explained. “I see you learned that the hard way, though,” she said with a gentle smile as they passed what were undoubtedly Aezon’s tracks. You could still see the depression where the less than solid earth had attempted to swallow him whole. “If you’re not familiar with the terrain it’s usually best to bring a walking stick, that way you can test the ground as you go. Lucky for you though, I’ve been wading through here all my life.” Kaia flashed him a grin before guiding him down the most concrete path. Though, even proven trails could be hazardous. Muddy and uneven, it was easy to lose one’s footing. Kaia moved with lithe grace however, leaving her to slow down in order to keep pace with Aezon. She spent the time explaining ways you could make an easier time of a journey, hoping that by focusing on a topic she was knowledgeable in, she would feel comfortable enough to breach what was really on her mind. Plus, the added knowledge couldn’t hurt if he was truly planning on navigating the Mist all on his own. “It’s easiest if we follow the river from here,” she told him before striking out to the left.

As they grew ever nearer to their destination, Kaia knew she was running out of time. She chewed on her lower lip and kicked herself mentally; trying to pluck up the courage to talk to him about such potentially sensitive matters. She decided to start with the one area she felt she might hold an advantage in. “So,” she began slowly, hopping over a small mud pit to reach solid ground, “If you don’t mind my asking…” Kaia waited for him to do the same, making sure he was across safely before strolling on. “What did you need the Shadow Root for?” Her eyes fell on him softly, patiently waiting for his answer even as her mind ran wild with the potentials. She knew they were often used in rituals, particularly with his tribe, but what said rituals might have pertained to she could not say. Admittedly, she was a little nervous to find out.

No matter her curiosity in Ascendants and his culture, there was no denying that shadow magic brought their world to its knees once. Aezon didn’t seem like he would, or was even capable of doing such a thing. Yet, his air of mystery was palpable. It was daunting and intoxicating both. Kaia found herself drawn to him, absorbed in the moment as she waited for his answer and hoping she hadn’t overstepped a line. Regardless, she felt like she deserved to know. Whatever his intentions were, she was now culpable. It was she who’d stolen the ingredient, and placed it into the hands of a dangerous stranger, after all.

Curious as he was about them, Aezon had to admit he was less than eager to run into one of these swamp dragons. Kaia managed to paint a vivid portrait of the beast, almost losing herself in the excitement of describing them. It was a little odd to see her so cheery over the prospect of a man potentially having his arm torn off, but her tenacity brought the shadow of a smile to Aezon’s lips. If she was at all excited about the monstrous reptiles of her homelands, it was nothing compared to her joy of him accepting her offer. He never expected to find someone to happy to share in his company. She seemed scarcely able to contain it at first, only to fall into silence once they were back on the trail.

Aezon lingered behind Kaia, keeping in stride while remaining uncertain over her habit of gushing one moment and going tight lipped the next. He hadn’t spent enough time with people to know if they were all this way. He was pretty familiar with contempt by now, but anything else was a bit of a mystery. He passed an inquiring look at Leiku perched on his shoulder, wondering if all girls acted this way. The spirit merely stared back at him with wide, blank, eyes. It appeared shadow spirits would be no help in the greater mysteries of the female mind. Things only grew more confusing when he looked up to find Kaia stealing a glance of him. She looked like she was about to say something, but just as quickly she turned her attention back to the path. Their eyes only met for an instant, but for some reason it left Aezon feeling all twisted up inside. It felt like he should say something to break the quiet, but he’d never been very good with words. Her reaction to his mention of Radiance was proof enough of that.

Luckily, Kaia hadn’t lost her voice for long. Aezon was quickly learning of her love for explaining things. He listened attentively as she pointed out the footholds he ought to utilize, and carefully followed in her wake. It made for a much easier venture than his blundering attempt alone. He couldn’t help but feel a little embarrassed when she pointed out the evidence of that. “It seems I was somewhat unprepared,” he had to admit. Though, Aezon allowed himself a genuine smile as Kaia grinned back at him. “Well, I appreciate the help. Things are a bit easier when you’re not constantly finding yourself in a sinkhole.”

The terrain still proved difficult, though. Solid was a relative term here, as even the best paths tended to be flooded or slick with mud. Kaia was much more surefooted than him, but he could keep up better than most. Aezon had tackled his fair share of difficulties over the course of his life. His determination, along with Kaia’s studious tips and guidance, had him getting the hang of traveling through the Mist before long. Still, even at his best he felt he could never navigate this place as gracefully as his escort. As promised, things grew a little easier on the riverbank, but nothing could be done about the soft ground which could slide right out from under the foot. Aezon always managed to catch his balance and keep from falling, but Leiku was left to flutter in a panic each time his ride began to wobble. Eventually, he decided it was easier just to fly alongside him instead.

Aezon followed Kaia over the mud pit, easily making the leap to join her on the other side. He gave her a curious look when she took on a more serious air and posed her question. His gaze averted at once as she mentioned the shadow root. He should have known this was coming. It was to be expected, in fact. And loathe as he was to speak of his private affairs, Aezon knew he probably owed it to her after everything she’d done for him. Kindness, even in small doses, was seldom offered to his people. Even so, he remained silent, refusing to look at her. But Kaia waited, apparently refusing to take a step further until he answered. Eventually, her patience won out, and Aezon met her soft appraisal.

“You wouldn’t understand,” he started to say, only to sigh and shake his head. Perhaps it was best just to be honest with her. Kaia seemed understanding and compassionate enough so far. “It’s for--” His words were cut off as Leiku flittered inches from his face, anxiously pumping his wings in an effort to get Aezon’s attention. “Leiku,” he sighed with annoyance at first, only to regard him more seriously as he noticed the spirit’s state of alarm. “What is it?” Once he caught on, Leiku sped away, bringing Aezon’s attention down river. Once it was there, the little black bird fluttered away and vanished, no longer revealing itself to them.

Aezon peered into the distance, trying to see through the blanket of fog to find whatever had gotten the spirit so worked up. He’d been traveling with Leiku long enough to trust his instincts, so when he saw inky shapes forming within the mist, he knew better than to stand around and waiting. Without warning, he wheeled around and snared Kaia’s hand. “Come on!” he hurried her, pulling her away from the river. “We have to get down!” He didn’t give her time to argue, forcing the both of them into cover behind the nearby brush. Their hiding space provided them enough shelter to avoid prying eyes, but gave enough vantage to see further up river. Aezon’s eyes focused on the murky water like a hawk. The tension was palpable as he watched, waited, and listened. Soon, they could hear the sound of several oars cutting into the water. He stiffened at the sound and anticipated the boats coming into view.

They appeared first as a disturbance in the mist. The haze snaked across the flat water, fleeing from the advancing prows of a set of long canoes. There were five in total, each bearing at least four men. Aezon noticed the padded armor they wore, along with the brutal looking sickles and clubs they carried. It was a small force, but they looked ready for war. His eyes narrowed at the spectacle, remaining perfectly still as the rowers continued to push up river. He didn’t know who these men were or what they were planning, but one look told him to keep well out of it. Only once the boats had passed out of view would he dare step out into plain sight again.

Kaia’s heart fluttered with anticipation and fear at Aezon’s response. What wouldn’t she understand? Had she made some terrible mistake in giving this man the shadow root after all? Just as he sounded ready to fess up to his intentions, Leiku flew between them. Kaia had been so wrapped up in her anxiety that the spirit startled her, forcing her to take a step back as it cut them off. She didn’t understand what was going on, but Aezon seemed used to Leiku’s odd forms of communication. Kaia could only follow his gaze, wondering what had gotten them so worked up. Her bright eyes squinted into the depths of the mist, managing to spot the approaching shapes along with him. “What is—” she started to say, only to find her hand and ensnared as Aezon pulled her away.

Kaia sucked in a breath, surprised by suddenly being dragged along. Why did they have to hide? Did he know something she didn’t? Before she could voice any of the questions, she was shoved down into the bushes and motioned to silence. Kaia’s heart was thumping as she bit back to urge to argue, and followed his instructions. She stared out from between the brambles and watched the river, wondering what could have caused him to react this way. She began to understand when she heard the sound of oars. A passing boatman was nothing to fear, but her blood grew a little colder as the realized it was several. It wasn’t often people journeyed through the Mist in such groups. Not so far from Kaja Lai, anyway.

Any thought of it being traders from the city disappeared when he finally saw the men. Kaia gasped at their appearance, hunkering down closer to Aezon once she realized who they were. “Reavers!” she announced quietly. Vicious men who answered to no War Chief but their own, they were known to roam the Mist bringing terror and heartache everywhere they went. Kaia was paralyzed by fear as she watched them creep along the surface. What were they doing out here so far from their preferred, open waters? Her heart practically stopped once she put it all together. “They’re heading for the village!” she declared.

Before Aezon could stop her, Kaia sprang to her feet and took off. The curious shadow tribe boy was all but forgotten as the image of her parents flashed through her mind. The careful guidance she led Aezon with was gone as she bolted through the swamp. Her feet carried her swiftly across the world she’d known ever since she was a little girl. She veered to the right with all due haste, making sure she was out of sight of the reavers whilst taking the most direct course back home. She knew there was no way she’d beat their boats. They must have been coming within sight of the village even now, while it would take Kaia several minutes to reach on foot.

She remained uncertain of what she would, or even could do once she arrived. The people of her village were hardy and strong, but few were skilled enough warriors to fend off such a raid. Kaia liked to think she was without rival when it came to the bow, but she couldn’t take down 20 well-armed men alone. She didn’t let that stop her, though. She just had to make it back to the home first. Once she knew what she was dealing with she could formulate a plan. Her heart racing, Kaia put on an extra burst of speed, silently pleading to the spirits that she wasn’t too late.

Kaia’s breakneck pace saw her arriving faster than ever before. Once the murky shape of her village appeared within the fog, however, she began to slow down. It wouldn’t do to clamber into town and possibly right into the midst of danger. She decided to approach carefully instead. Taking her bow in hand, she tried to steady her breathing while creeping through the haze. Nothing appeared to be out of the norm at first, but as stepped by a set of pylons on the outskirts of the village, she could hear the sounds of distant shouting. The clash of a skirmish was quick to follow, leaving Kaia to pick up speed as she hurried towards the source. The sounds of fighting were silenced as quickly as they’d begun, but Kaia was able to deduce the commotion came from the center of town.

Once more, Kaia slowed her pace wen reaching her destination. Remaining cautious, she kept herself out of sight, ducking out behind one of the storefronts that overlooked the small plaza. No sooner than she’d taken cover, Kaia was startled by the sound of a bang and clash coming from inside the shop. She made sure she was well out of sight of any of the windows while drawing an arrow from her quiver and hastily nocking it. Her stomach remained in a tight knot as she heard the sound of a struggle inside before another loud crash. Worse yet was the painful wail that came after, followed by the sound of hostile voices as someone was dragged away.

It wasn’t just the storefront, she realized. A quick glance from behind her hiding spot showed her that reavers were going door to door, forcing everyone out of their homes and into the streets. Those who’d been gathered were guarded over by 10 of the brutes, each with their weapons drawn. The villagers were packed neatly together, herded like cattle. She searched the faces for Kai and Lena, but did not spot her parents among them. Instinctively, her attention jumped to the door of her father’s herb shop. There seemed to be no sign of life at first, then Kaia’s heart jumped to her throat as she heard a clamor from inside. She moved to step out and make for the store only to falter back as one of the reavers happened by. She’d just managed to escape his notice, leaving her to hold her breath while he passed by the side of the building and moved on. Kaia dared not move again until he and his sickle were well out of sight.

Venturing another peek around the corner, Kaia’s attention snapped back to their shop. In an instant, the doors were thrown open and both Kai and Lena were forced outside by a pair of men. They seemed to come along willingly, but that didn’t keep the reavers from manhandling them. When one of the men found Lena moving too slowly for their liking, he shoved her from behind. The force nearly sent her toppling into the mud. Kai recoiled at the harsh treatment, shouting at the men and stepping over to help his wife. His good nature was rewarded with a fist to the gut, sending him to the ground in her place. No sooner than he was down in the muck did the reaver deliver a swift kick to his ribs.

Kaia watched in horror, barely able to stomach what she beheld. She had to stop herself from rushing out to help them; the reavers would see her long before she made it. She could easily take out the pair of them with her bow, but where would that leave the other villagers? Rounded up as they were, they’d be at the mercy of these men if she came out fighting. Who knew what they’d do then? The decision became all the harder when Kai received another blow. Lena wailed out, pleading for the men to stop. The other reaver snatched a handful of her hair and yanked her away. Holding her head up straight, he pulled his sickle to her throat and forced her to watch the scene instead.

Kaia couldn’t take it anymore. It seemed like the world fell silent as her blood came to boil with anger and fear alike. Nothing felt real as she stepped out of her hiding place and drew her bow. She took aim at the man holding her mother hostage, ready to let her arrow fly free and sink into his skull. He was so engrossed with the beating her father earned that he never would have seen it coming. But Kaia found herself terrified with the prospect of ending a man’s life so quickly, causing her to hesitate. She announced herself instead.

“Stop!” she yelled, approaching the reavers with a stride of confidence. She hoped they would not see through the bluff, picking out the nervous wreck beneath the surface. “Leave him alone and let her go!” she commanded, keeping her voice strong.

The man assaulting her father had his fist primed for another strike, only to stop at the sound of her voice. He stepped away from Kai and shifted his attention between their new guest and the one still threatening her mother. She caught the notice of the other reavers as well. In a flash, all of the attention was on her. She could feel the weight of their eyes, enemies and hostages alike. She was even aware of Kai and Lena. Their gazes bore into her with fear and alarm. But Kaia pushed all that away, fighting the urge to look at them as she locked eyes with the man holding the sickle at Lena’s throat.

“Let her go,” she repeated, standing firm several paces away.

The man’s stern face cracked with a grin, a wicked sort of amusement sparking in his hellish, green eyes. “Or what?” he challenged her. His voice was rough and daring, bearing not the slightest hint of worry for his well being.

“Or I’ll put this arrow between your eyes before you can even blink.” She pulled the bowstring tighter to prove her point. “And I promise you, I won’t miss.” Compared to hunting snakes and frogs out in the mire, it would be all too easy.

The reaver remained unimpressed. If anything, his grin widened. “Well I don’t know,” he said coyly, “This one might be worth dying for.” He brought his lips in dangerously close to Lena’s ear, keeping his eyes on Kaia all the while. “I can think of so many fun things we can do together,” he said, quietly. “You might even enjoy some of it by the end.”

His words made Kaia sick to her stomach, but the anger he stoked was much worse. She took another step forward, her hands practically shaking as she fought the urge to loose the arrow. She was right on the cusp of doing it; of killing this man and setting off a chain of reactions she might quickly come to regret. Looking up from the ground, Kai seemed to read her expression and realize it. Weakly, he raised a hand as if to stop her.

“Kaia, don’t,” he beseeched her.

“Then again,” the reaver went on, pretending he hadn’t heard the man, “You’re more the sort of thing I’ve been looking for. You’ve got a much prettier face than this old hag, anyway.” He relaxed the grip on his weapon, but held it close enough to remain a threat. His accomplice stood by as well, staring daggers at Kaia. “Perhaps we can make a deal,” her foe suggested. “I’ll let her go if you walk on over here and take her place. It’s either that or you can kill me and then my men will kill you and…” Rolling his eyes, he sighed and shook his head with frustration. “Well, after that I imagine it’d probably be easiest for them to slaughter the rest of these fine people too.” His grin spread as the terms were laid out. “So what do you say, beautiful? Shall we have a fair trade, or a bloody one?”

His unexpected proposal sent a cold chill down Kaia’s spine. She’d worked so hard not to look into the faces of her parents. Not even when Kai pleaded with her did she risk looking away from her opponent. But now she could not stop herself, her heartstrings pleading at she looked into her mother’s tearful eyes. Everything about her expression told her daughter not to do this; to turn around, run away and forsake them in order to save herself. Her father seemed to share in Lena’s sentiments. His face haunted her as he stared up from the pitiful state to which he’d been rendered. Abandoning them was something Kaia simply could not do; not her parents, nor the rest of the people she’d known for so long. If turning herself over meant ensuring their safety, it was a trade she was willing to make.

Kaia released the breath she didn’t realize she was holding, easing the tension out of the bowstring while hesitantly lowering her weapon. The cocky, victorious smirk the reaver wore as she surrendered made the moment all the more repulsive. Returning the arrow to its quiver and hooking her bow back over her shoulder beneath his sickening observation was one of the hardest things Kaia ever had to do. Unlike her mad dash home, now her feet carried her with deliberate slowness. She couldn’t bear to look at her father again, not even as he sluggishly got to his feet in a vain effort to stop her.

“I’m sorry,” she told him softly before passing by. Once she was near enough, the reaver lowered his blade and released Lena. He did not let her wander far however, keeping the woman by his side until Kaia came to the end of what felt like the longest walk of her life.

Aezon glanced at Kaia when she declared who, or rather what these men were. If her reaction was anything to go by, Leiku’s instincts had been correct as usual. His attention turned back to the boats as they cut across the water, pondering over their intentions. Kaia seemed to have the answer. Aezon tried to stop her as she jumped up with her conclusion. “Wait!” he quietly called after her. But the girl was too fast, taking off at a sprint before he could so much as get the word out. Aezon grumbled with annoyance, his concern leaping back to the boats to make sure they hadn’t been seen or heard. All seemed clear as their bows were swallowed into the mist, disappearing from his view.

Once they were gone, Aezon stepped out of his hiding spot, grumbling over Kaia’s recklessness. “Nothing to be done for it,” he murmured when Leiku returned to his shoulder, “We’d better keep moving.”

As grateful as he was for her help, at least now he’d be free to go his own way again. Yet, even as he turned to leave, Aezon found himself hesitating. His notice went to the footsteps Kaia had left in the mud, following the trail that would lead to her village. It’s not your problem… he tried telling himself. They wouldn’t want your help anyway. Once more he turned to leave, only to be struck by a pang of guilt. He knew what Saizo would have thought about this. Kaia had ventured out into the swamp to help him. What kind of man was he if he wasn’t willing to return her kindness?

Sighing, he turned back to Kaia’s path and took off in her wake. He wasn’t nearly as confident as Kaia in her stride, but having her footprints to follow made things a lot easier. Still, he was clumsy enough that Leiku abandoned his perch, taking wing before shifting on the fly. Nimble paws struck the ground as the spirit took the form of a wolf, dashing beside Aezon while they made for the village. Kaia had a decent head start on them, especially when accounting for her agility, but with determination he caught up to the village soon after. Like Kaia before him, Aezon stalked quietly through the shadows of the town. The sound of cries and shouting drew him towards the center. It also kept him alert, keeping watch for danger as he rounded every corner.

His route through town, however, took a different course than Kaia. Her trail had been too hard to follow upon arrival; her footprints lost among the others throughout the village. As such, he came upon the scene from the other direction, nearer to the rest of the hostages than Kaia and her parents. Remaining out of sight, Aezon crept as near as he dared to survey what was going on. He counted the number of guards watching over the gathering of villagers, before spying a few others who swept the town for any stragglers. Fighting them all would be a daunting task, but with Leiku’s help it could be manageable. The spirit remained by his side even now, cloaked from the eyes of all but his own. Before he could come up with a solid plan though, there was a shout from across the square.

Following the sound, Aezon saw Kaia making her stand and approach the two men with her bow drawn. He quickly picked out her father sprawled across the ground, leaving him to deduce that the woman held captive must have been her mother. That would explain her bold actions, even if he thought they were a bit impulsive. His eyes were glued to the scene as she exchanged words with the man holding Lena captive, but he was too far away to hear what was being said. Aezon knew that now would be the perfect moment to make his move. Kaia held everyone’s eyes center stage, giving him ample opportunity. But he faltered, finding himself too involved in what was happening to seize his chance.

What is she doing? He wondered, peering through the mist to see her lower her weapon and walk towards the reavers. Understanding came once the man moved Lena to the side, holding her at bay. Aezon scowled, disapproving of the girl’s rashness. That seemingly good heart of hers was likely to get her killed at some point. “Alright buddy, it’s now or never,” Aezon spoke quietly to Leiku. He looked into the spirit’s vibrant, intelligent eyes. “We have to get the attention off of her and on to us. Think you can distract them somehow?”

The wolf tilted its head at him, bringing Aezon to motioning at the group of armed men watching the exchange. Leiku caught on to his intentions after that. He growled an affirmative to his stalwart companion before slinking off and disappearing into the fog. Aezon held his position, waiting and observing. There was no telling exactly what the spirit would do, so he had to be ready for anything. Though his adrenaline was already building, his hands were steady as a rock as they fell to his sword hilts. With utmost care, he silently drew the curved blades and held them at the ready. He then took a steadying breath, preparing himself for what was to come while surveying the scene. With Kaia only a few steps away, there wasn’t much time left to make this clean. Fortunately, the shadow spirit was quick to action.

Aezon didn’t even notice Leiku before it happened. A scream broke through the air as one of the reavers collapsed to the ground. Everything came to a standstill as the interest was torn off of Kaia and directed towards their fallen comrade. One of them stepped forward to investigate, only to stumble back as the downed reaver wailed again. Aezon could see now that Leiku had one of the man’s legs between his jaws. The wolf thrashed, bringing further shouts of terror from his victim as he dragged him away. With his visage hidden from all but Aezon, the others were left to stumble back in surprise while he was swallowed into the fog.

“What was that thing?!” One of them shouted with a touch of fear on his voice.

Meanwhile, Aezon slunk out of cover. He kept low, staying out of their peripherals while the reavers stared into the mist. Even the one holding Lena hostage was left astounded. He seemed to forget about Kaia, watching the scene as carefully as the rest of them. Every man was on alert now, their weapons drawn. Yet, Aezon could sense their nervous anticipation. None of them could explain what happened. Even as their lost man’s cries persisted in the distance, a few called out to him, but no one was willing to venture into the fog to help him. Such fear would be their undoing. It gave Aezon all the leverage he needed to get in close with nobody the wiser.

The tension grew denser still, once the screams fell to dead silence. By then Aezon was only a few feet away from the group of villagers they’d rounded up. The number of captives vastly outnumbered the reavers, but none of them appeared tenacious enough to rebel. Judging by the wounds many of them wore it seemed any sort of resistance they had put up was effortlessly crushed. Which means these reavers are skilled fighters, Aezon concluded. I can’t afford to hesitate. I have to be decisive. Strengthening his resolve, he tightened his grip on the hilts and approached the nearest guard from behind.

Aezon’s footsteps were absolutely silent. The warrior didn’t so much as breathe as he snuck up on his victim. Between the thick mist and Leiku’s distraction, he remained out of sight right up to striking distance. By then he was close enough that one of the hostages managed to spot him. The woman gasped with eyes wide when she saw Aezon lifting a sword. That was enough to snag the attention of the guards. The ill-fated reavers saw where she was looking and turned to spy a flash of the steel before it came down. The sword cut right through his padded armor, slicing him diagonally from the left shoulder down to his right hip. The man’s face bore an expression of shock at the scarlet kiss left in the blade’s wake, only for his eyes to roll back in his head before he collapsed to the ground.

Sounds of alarm rang throughout the rest of the reavers once they realized what was happening. They responded at once, the nearest guards rushing at the attacker with their weapons drawn. Aezon had to act fast. He stepped away from the body of his foe and held his swords up to meet the next. With a furious shout and a pair of sickles, the first crashed upon him. Aezon threw his guard up just in time to catch the wicked blades. Mist swirled around the weapons, trembling as their steel clashed and the harmony of combat sounded in the air.

The bandit’s strength was surprising. Aezon was left rattled from the force of the blow as he fought to hold him off. But with the others coming to join the fray, he didn’t have time for a power struggle. With quick and precise movements, Aezon stepped back and swept to the side. His foe stumbled forward as the resistance gave way, giving him time to retreat as the next opponent came in with a club. Aezon nimbly dodged it, leaving the bludgeon to whistle through open space. While the men recoiled from their failures, Aezon held his shamshirs at the ready and stood his ground. His expression was cool and calculated; the very definition of focus while he observed their every move.

His enemies were smart enough not to rush him all at once. Had they forsaken the group and gone for Aezon instead, the villagers might seize the opportunity to revolt, thus sealing the reavers’ doom. Therefore, a number of the guard lingered behind, issuing threats to their captives while they watched the struggle. Aezon was grateful for their hesitation; with three more joining the fight he was outnumbered enough as it was. The five men encircled him, steadily closing in. With his blades spread out and able to strike in any direction, no one was willing to make the first move. They simply prowled around like lions hunting dangerous prey, waiting for their opening. Aezon danced with them, trying to keep his attention on all of them at once.

Suddenly, an attack came from behind. Aezon spun around to meet the enemy, knowing it would spur the rest of his foes into action as well. He caught the man’s sickle with one of his swords, parrying the blow before whirling around to deflect the next. As a third reaver came in, Aezon had to retreat. His feet carried him swiftly aside to miss having his skull caved in by the man’s club. Two more came in from his flanks, scarcely leaving Aezon a moment to breathe as he caught both of their weapons with a shamshir each. His knees threatened to buckle against their strength, but he kept his balance and held them off.

With precious time before the others would overwhelm them, Aezon had to think fast. Twisting his left sword, his opponent’s sickle was left to slide down his blade and strike the cross guard. With a flick of his wrist, Aezon smacked the weapon aside, disarming the first reaver. With his other shamshir free, he swung it towards his second foe. But the thug was quick on his feet, jumping back before the blade could slice him. Aezon had to follow the example, forced to retreat once more as the others came charging in. While he continued to evade his assailants, uproar stirred among those reavers watching the battle unfold. They shouted with impatience, barking orders for others to join the fray and finish things.

Three more answered the summons, but Aezon was too quick for any of them to land a decisive hit. He was poetry in motion, dodging and parrying with a fluid grace. Here on solid ground, he was every bit as nimble as Kaia. But he couldn’t keep this up forever. Given his number of opponents, he was stuck on the defensive and that meant he could make no headway. He deflected one strike after another, to the point that his arms were starting to go numb. If he didn’t find a way to turn the tables, this would all be for naught.

Aezon’s opportunity came when he spied Leiku dashing back through the mist. A sly grin took his face as he batted away a foe’s sickle with his blade and delivered a swift kick to his gut. It left the reaver winded, and gave him the space he needed to dodge another incoming attack. The wolf-like spirit noticed the vulnerable man, and seized the chance. Lunging in, Leiku clamped his ethereal jaws around the man’s ankle and brought him to the ground. Just like an animal, the spirit ruthlessly gnashed the flesh, causing as much damage as possible. Unable to perceive the beast that savaged him, the reaver screamed bloody murder as he fought in vain.

The return of their invisible assailant scattered the men, leaving each as confused as the next. The diversion was all it took for things to tip in Aezon’s favor. His left blade caught one of the reavers under the chin, opening his throat in a spurt of crimson. Another enemy fell to his right, even as Leiku released his first victim to pounce another. With six of their men dispatched, things were starting to look very different. The remaining bandits were hesitant to approach. They eyed Aezon with apprehension, wary of both his skill with the blades and the unseen force that he utilized.

Noting the fear in their eyes, Aezon saw a different way he could end this. He issued a sharp whistle to summon Leiku to his side. Uncertain of what he was up to, the men shifted nervously at the shrill sound. They looked around, expecting an attack from anywhere while the shadow wolf simply waltzed right in front of them as beckoned. One look into Aezon’s eyes was all the Leiku needed to sense his intentions. A fierce growl forming in his throat, he turned towards the men and raised his shadowy hackles. Despite the spirit’s better nature, he stepped out of the illusion and presented himself to their enemies.

Burning eyes of fury commanded all of their attention, rendering every man still as stone. Then, opening his colossal maw, Leiku issued a blood-chilling roar that shattered the enchantment. Every man standing before the spirit turned tail and ran. The wolf bounded forward and snapped at their heels, but pursued them no further than that. Aezon couldn’t help but smile at their cowardice savoring the victory as he watched them flee towards the docks. As the last of them disappeared into the depths of the fog, Aezon finally sheathed his blades.

Back
Top Bottom