Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What do you do to get the RP juices rolling again?

Sadie

Storyteller for Rent
I've been gone a good while, probably about a year. Besides getting used to the new look, I've been creeping on the Seeking threads and lazily considering revamping my own from way back when. (And passively starting forum chit-chat of course)

What do you do to get back in the groove after a hiatus? :D

I try to come up some plots followed by characters to fit into those plots. Usually I'll listen to some music or read a bit to help me get started though mainly listen to music

I'm an avid 'classic' sci fi reader and one of it's most revered fathers was Ray bradbury. Someone once wrote to him saying he had a writers block and asked Mr. Bradbury for advice. He told the young man, 'ideas are like cats....if you approach them, they'll run away from you. If you don't they'll come to you.....'

Reading and watching movies is what gets my juices flowing so to speak. I also create a lot of characters.

I get many of my juices flowing by listening to music. I find that music can get me into a writing mood. That, and I explore fantasies in my head of what I'd like to write. My characters will explore out scenarios before I ever even put them down in words.

I just consume something that will give me some inspiration or ideas. I used to look through search threads to see if anything would get me excited too.

I always have plenty of ideas. The problem is finding a partner I feel I can work with. That is the hard part. I think over the years of having so many RP's dropped or not even started etc that I have grown too cynical and so I am very fussy about who I start a RP with or who I start speaking to about one.

Sometimes I find a picture that I like and I try and build a character based on that image. Helps get things flowing.

Usually world-building gets my gears going. I get excited to throw a character into what we're planning together. My problem right now is that I've world-built with flakes so much, I'm burnt out on world-building and just groan at the thought of doing it again. Catch 22.

Reading old RP's can help to get the old dome-piece moving again for me. Sometimes I'll open Google docs and just write a short story about an OC or I'll run that character through several scenarios in my mind while I'm bored at work or home chilling. Also just talking about what you'd like or the particular character you want to play can help, example, messaging someone and just shoot ideas off of one another.

I tend to have a scenario or plot in mind. It could be something really simple like a married woman deciding to work in a brothel but then I like to add things to it, make it more complex, twist it up I guess. I like characters who are challenged by or not suited to the situation they are in. So it all plays a part in keeping things interesting for me.

If it's not a basic scenario then it tends to be a story line of sorts. I am influenced by all sorts of things like things I see on the news or movies, TV shows, forums etc. So I try and build something from that even if it is going in a much different direction or changing it a lot to suit me. Lots of variables.

I'm visual, gifs and pics can get me going, especially when paired with the ideas they could inspire.

Coming back from hiatus, usually rereading RPs and then making myself write. After a few posts of putting steel to sharpener, I'm back and running smooth.

Rereading my old RPs, talking to my favorite writers, watching or reading things. Sometimes ideas just pop into my head as well, but that's pretty rare.

I like to write small scenarios that can be added into the roleplay to create more interesting scenes, I love writing with my fellow roleplay partners to get back into roleplaying!

Creating foils for existing characters to increase tension and drama. It also helps to move the story along and make the role-play more interesting for your partner as well.

I have a variety of means. I often use my smartphone as a "bedside notebook" to text-write myself little ideas which can gradually grow into a larger plot. I often read and watch media related to the type of story I'm writing or want to write, to get a "feel" for the commonalities and how I can turn them into my own.

I tend to lose my path by being sidetracked with other interests. Conversely, the solution is burning through those (typically) temporary overwhelming whims and then going back to 'regularly scheduled programming', and doing my best not to instigate a roleplay that is based on one of those limited whims to do something. More generally, and probably more related to this thread, I tend to get into things by making other content/hobbies I work with relate in some way to the themes of what I want to do in roleplay, which makes it easier to get into those concepts.

I'm one of those dive head first people. I will either reach out to my previous rp partners or start bouncing ideas with friends. Normally I generate ideas after reading a book series or watching a new tv series. I also find rereading previous work helps focus on where I went wrong the first time and to correct them if trying the plots again :)

Mostly I try new kinks or ways of writing and playing games. I've done a lot of freeform so I've tried playing systems games and seeing newer kinks in other peoples ads to try out. Sometimes I get ideas from movies I watch or books I read. I really really try to avoid doing the same thing over and over again since it can lead to burnout and not being enthusiastic about writing anymore.

Back
Top Bottom