Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Recruting for Pathfinder campaign, homebrew setting/races

Morathor

Supernova
I'm looking to run a Pathfinder campaign in my homebrew setting, Ascana. I've been working on the setting for more than a year now, and spent the last three weeks compiling most of my info into a single google doc, which ended up being about sixty pages. I don't expect you to read the entire thing; I'll try to just give an overview of major details here, and you can read up on specifics that interest you--the outline on the left should make it relatively easy to navigate. So. Ascana is a peninsula, with climates ranging from subtropical to temperate. It has eight major cultures and nine major races, plus halfbreeds and planetouched.

Most of these cultures have more than one major species, and every races appear in more than one culture. A quick overview of the cultures/civilizations:

The Ascana League
Races: Halflings, humans, dwarves, gnomes
The Ascana League consists of over a hundred relatively independent city-states. Although any two cities are dozens of miles apart, as a whole they are united by a shared language and culture, by common currency and trade laws, by a military alliance, and perhaps most importantly by the Beacon Towers constructed in each city. These towers were originally intended to allow distant cities to call for aid during emergencies, but as the magic and technology used for them has been refined over the centuries, their use has expanded significantly. The modern Beacon Towers can transmit dozens or hundreds of messages simultaneously, they can relay complex information and sound, and are increasingly being made available for public use--to contact distant relatives, to discuss business, or to share news and entertainment.

The Durim
Races: Dwarves
The Durim are reclusive hill folk. Their sparsely populated settlements are built both on mountainsides, and within mountain caves. The Durim value family and kinship; they are raised learning their genealogy and forming close ties with their relatives. At the same time, they are expected to be self-reliant and independent. For the Durim, adulthood is knowing your responsibilities and doing them without having to be told or watched.

The Galsic Clans
Races: Goblins
Technological innovators and cultural magpies, the Galsic live in ramshackle cities that sprawl across whatever territory other civilizations don’t seem keen on claiming. Although Galsic do not tend to be malicious, they are widely--and correctly--considered to be dangerous due to their reckless thrillseeking. They care mostly for new and exciting experiences, with little thought to the consequences for themselves or others. Galsic culture holds that the meaning of life is simply to enjoy it while it lasts. They do not mourn death, only a boring life.

The Illati Tribes
Races: Orcs, humans
The Illati are people of the forest, who put great value in hunters and in hounds. They are aggressively territorial, and while passage through their hunting grounds can usually be negotiated, they do not take kindly to trespassers. This is especially troublesome when a tribe moves; if the game becomes scarce, or the soil goes barren, or the water dries up, a tribe of Illati will abandon their settlement to find a new home, and will often lay claim to territory with no regards for who might already be living there.

The Seshuran
Races: Elves
The Seshuran are a nomadic people, rarely settling in one place for more than a few months. They usually travel in small packs of up to half a dozen, but in the east multiple packs may travel together for extended periods of time. Some also live alone for long stretches of their lives, though this tends not to be very good for their mental state. Due to their lifespans, Seshuran often struggle with ennui. Many are storytellers, adrenaline junkies, or tricksters.

The Skadaran Confederation
Races: Goblins, lizardfolk
The Skadaran Confederation consists of hundreds of fairly independent island tribes, united primarily by a common culture and language. Most are also part of a formal alliance and a central government, though the scope of these is limited. The Skadaran are known to value their leisure more than most, and prefer working in short bursts, however grueling, to longer periods of less intensive labor.

The Undercommon
Races: Goblins, hobgoblins, orcs, lizardfolk, dwarves, gnomes, elves
The Underground Commonwealth, more often referred to as the Undercommon, is a vast, diverse society built on the vision of one individual. The founder, whose identity is largely unknown outside the Commonwealth, believed that freedom and safety were opposing forces and that you could not have both. They wanted to make a place for those who would risk their lives to be free.

The Valdir
Races: Hobgoblins, humans
The Valdir homeland lays across the sea, more than a year’s journey to the north. The peoples of the Ascana Peninsula only know the Valdir by their navy, which has established numerous outposts along the eastern coast. These seafaring warriors treat pillaging and commerce as two sides of the same coin; one day they come as raiders and pirates, the next as traders and merchants, and are often confused to be received with hostility.
The races are homebrewed; some of them, like dwarves and halflings, look more like the Pathfinder default than others. Humans are probably changed the most because the role of generic-but-versatile race is being filled by halfbreeds. For easy reference, I'm just going to list the races by their ability score modifiers, and if you like the sound of one you can look up more details in the google doc:

--Dwarf: +2 to CON and WIS, -2 to your choice of STR or CHA
--Elf: +2 to DEX and WIS, -2 to your choice of CON or INT
--Goblin: +2 to DEX and INT, -2 to your choice of CON or WIS
--Gnome: +2 to CON and INT, -2 to your choice of STR or CHA
--Halfling: +2 to DEX and CHA, -2 to your choice of STR or WIS
--Hobgoblin: +2 to STR and INT, -2 to your choice of CON or CHA
--Human: +2 to CON and CHA, -2 to your choice of DEX or WIS
--Lizardfolk: +2 to STR and CHA, -2 to your choice of DEX or INT
--Orc: +2 to STR and WIS, -2 to your choice of DEX or INT

--Halfbreed: +2 to one ability one of their parent races has a bonus in, no penalties; can also potentially take +2 to a second ability

--Aasimar: Normally inherits their parent race's modifiers, but can trade for +2 WIS and CHA
--Ifrit: Normally inherits their parent race's modifiers, but can trade for +2 STR and DEX
--Tiefling: Normally inherits their parent race's modifiers, but can trade for +2 DEX and CON
--Oread: Normally inherits their parent race's modifiers, but can trade for +2 STR and CON
--Sylph: Normally inherits their parent race's modifiers, but can trade for +2 INT and CHA
--Undine: Normally inherits their parent race's modifiers, but can trade for +2 INT and WIS

The actual scenario I have in mind is about a band of mercenaries, being hired by a wealthy patron from the Undercommon to represent their business interests on the surface. You'll get missions and objectives from your employer, like guarding a caravan, tracking down a missing shipment, or investigating the disappearance of a business associate. Some of your objectives will be sketchy or illegal, so characters with uncompromising morals probably aren't good choices for this game. But neither are unruly murderhobos; the alignment for this game could best be described as "professional."

I'm going to be allowing basically all classes, archetypes, feats, spells, and items found on the Pathfinder Reference Document. However, anything race specific will need to be approved specifically, since the races have changed and they might not fit. Other material may be approved on a case-by-case basis, but I'm more likely to approve Paizo than third party. Finally, I will be using the optional Background Skills rules.

Also for either game: this is an erotic RP site and players will have the option to play out explicit scenes, but these aren't really intended to be the focus of the game. My intention is more that these will be mainly adventuring campaigns, and if the inevitable attempt to seduce the boss goes well you don't have to fade to black. I should also note I'm not planning on including or even allowing non-con scenarios or themes.

Okay I think. That's. Everything. But if I've overlooked something or something doesn't make sense, please feel free to let me know so I can try and fix it.

Last edited:
Currently we have two interested players for this. (I also took one of the two scenarios off the board--I've moved that to another site.)

I had expressed interest in this as well. I will be a female, human anti-paladin. I think that Aquarian and I were the originally referenced interested players.

Also, now that I've had a chance to refresh my memory on how antipaladins work in pathfinder, I feel like the code of conduct for that class is going to be as hard to work around as the standard paladin--if not more so. An antipaladin has to spread tyranny and inflict cruelty at every opportunity, which is rarely conducive to business. Like I said, this is intended to be a game about professionals, who can at least usually be counted on to hold up their end of a contract.

To be honest, in the weeks since I last posted in this thread, I've gotten pretty overwhelmed... a couple of other RPs I'm in that I thought were finished have revived, and I don't think I have the time or energy to run this right now while also keeping up with my other games. Sorry.

That said the world setting/custom races are open for use, if anyone else wants to try their hand with it. (Or with a different concept.) I'm just not up to it at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom