Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does anyone here play D&D, watch Critical Role?

I used to. I'm not a huge fan of Season 2, too many characters I just dislike on a personal level. Love campaign 1 tho, the Briarwood Arc was dope

I play a crap-ton of tabletop RPGs, and have dabbled in watching Critical Role. I'm thinking it'll become even more accessible now that the show has come out (I think it came out yesterday?) I currently have an Exalted campaign, three Pathfinder, two(?) 5E, and I think two 3.5, though I'll have to look at my actual roster.

Play DnD probably once every other week. I run campaigns for family/friends and right now we're doing a follow-up of the Curse of Strahd campaign that I've dubbed, just like the old second adventure, Return to Castle Ravenloft.

As for Critical Role, I've never been a fan... gave it a fairly good swing when I watched it when it first came out... but it's very much scripted from what I can tell, and really if I was in Mercer's shoes I'd have it scripted too, makes sure that you don't have any 'misses' with the episodes considering it was a big part of his income. In my experience real DnD isn't scripted other than what the DM does... so I found it uninteresting, kind of like watching a show without being able to see the characters or animations or whatever. I do see why people would like it if they have those kinds of sensibilities though.

I play quite a bit of D&D and I mostly DM, currently doing a whole Homebrew campaign for a group of 7 peeps, they seem to be enjoying the story, and love the harshness of the universe they are taking part in.

In terms of critical role, I have seen a few episodes but life is pretty busy planning the D&D sessions for me to invest the time to watch it.

I'm a senior when it comes to D&D - started with E1 & E3 in high school, then to E2 in College, skipped E4, and restarted in E5 about 3 years ago. I hopped into CR last year - listening to all their old podcasts while at work, and caught up to Campaign 3. (Fun Fact: Tabletop RPGs and I share the same birthyear HAHA!)

It was easier to play catchup through all their campaigns through the podcast, and going back to watch on YouTube was a little difficult at first because the platform was so rough - which is understandable. But now, with the new studio and the wonderful maps from Dwarven Forge - it's just awe-inspiring!

Sad to say, my old group in college (a total of 22 peeps - 4 DMs within) started recording two of our major campaigns that lasted between four to seven years - mainly for book series. But there were no such things as YouTube, Twitch, or online platforms like Iwaku or Wattpad. Wish we had the connections Mercer and the team have, cause maybe we might have been the first.

Regardless, I love their platform. They're changing the whole stipulation against roleplaying games, proving that they're not about devil-worshipping or drug-induced hallucinations. Hell, there was so much shit about RPGs back in the '80s that make it so hard to just enjoy hanging out with your friends for an adventure. Critical Role and all the other RPG platforms have truly upped the bar for others and cleared the issues against roleplay for the better.

Anyone who wants to connect to CR, I suggest just running their podcasts as background noise while doing other things, if you can. Right now, I'm listening to Campaign 1 again while working on college essays, since The Legend of Vox Machina animated series is out now. I'm comparing the original campaign to the layout of the animated series to catch what was removed or enhanced in the storyarch. So far, not too bad - they're starting with the Briarwood Arch, which was the chosen favorite voted by the Critters.

Been in a group for DnD for 2 years now. We have reached level 18. Things are incredibly powerful and we will have to confront arch-fey and demigods soon.

i am half way through c1, i haven't been able to mesh with the characters but i think it's due to the low quality and.. starting with c2 first. c3 i haven't clicked with any of the characters, but i also haven't had any time to catch up. i might do what phi suggests and listen to it on podcast while i'm doing my rounds...

i have done some pathfinder and 3e but haven't delved beyond that. hard to find groups. ;-;

Bidet!!
Hello bees!
Smiley day to ya!

I grew up playing RPGs as my dad was a huge RPg fan, Shadowrun, Vampire. His homebrew fabtasy and, some DnD, DnD is not myfave system there are much better ones for in depth RP, but it's a fun and asy game to get into.

I adore Critical Role.

I've enjoyed MM's DM Tip series. The Animated Legend of Vox Machina just worked better for me. More power to the Critters, but I'd rather play or write as opposed to watch somebody else's session if I'm not a part of it.

Been playing D&D since the advent of Advanced D&D - the Basic set was still around when I got started, but was fading in favour of Advanced.
Then moved to 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition, 3.5 Edition, skipped 4th Edition (with good reason), and now quite enjoy 5th Edition.

Never watched Critical Role, so cannot comment on that.

So I started playing D&D back in high school in 1993ish, my sisters and I (4 in total) found D&D advance books at a yard sale and although we only had adventure companions and nothing to go by we did our best. Eventually after a summer of playing twice a week or so we decided to really get into it by inviting a guy from D&D club at school to my house to DM with us. It was a great experience although it took a loong time to convince it wasn't a practical joke for these 4 cheerleaders and theatrical girls who were nerds at heart.

I found forum RP in 2003ish and enjoyed it a lot. I go back to tabletop my original love in 2010 and I now play mostly on Roll20. I discovered last year people playing on twitch or online live and I have fallen in love with watching them. My favorite, of course, is critical role with Mat Mercer and the world he has created 'Tal'dorie'

Seeking out my fellow fans and thinking about making a 'watch along' thread where we can discuss and talk about episodes.

"Is it Thursday yet?"
I personally play a tonne of D&D though to be honest I’ve not been keeping up to date with Critical Role. I watched seasons 1 & 2 to completion but never really started on Season 3 because I got into Dimension 20 instead.

I DM a game for my group set in Runeterra, which. Has been going on now for 2 years!

I used to play D & D. However, I do not have a group at present since my DM rolled a nat20 on a baby. I used to watch Critical Role too but I stopped watching as much when I started playing myself. I still watch clips every now and then. I also love watching their intros and seeing their crazy commercials/intros at conventions. Um but these days I prefer shorter TTRPG shows, like Dimension 20 or World of Darkness, the ones ran by Jason Carl.

Back
Top Bottom