Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Avatar/ LoK Roleplay using FATE Core System

Where should this RP happen?

• Total voters
What it says in the title. An avatar style world, likely set just after Avatar Korra’s Time (making the next avatar an earth bender), using the FATE Core rpg system. You can find the SRD or a free pdf pretty easily.

I’m unsure whether to do it over discord, dicelog.com, or in a thread here. I suppose that will be based on player consensus.

The time period will be late 200X to early-mid 201X, to give a reference for fashion, technology, and music.
Or just the modern year.

Each bending type will be treated as a separate skill, thus keeping power about the same for bending and non-bending characters. Doing the special types of bending (lava, lightning, blood, and astral projection), or using the avatar state, is going to require taking a Stunt, to represent focused training in that area.

If you want your character to be the avatar, it’s first come first serve.

Last edited:
Hey, this sounds pretty great! I've been interested in checking out Fate, so this'd be a good excuse.

My preference would be to play in a thread here. I think I'd probably play some kind of Airbender.

Well, read through the Fate Core rules and I'm 100% on board. If anyone's interested but put off by not knowing the rules, I'm happy to help out; they don't look too hard, and they sound like a lot of fun.

Here's what I've got for a character so far. I haven't settled on a name or gender for them yet; probably depends on who else is in the game.

High Concept: Airbending Gearhead
Trouble: Curiouser than a Cat Owl

Phase One Adventure Summary:
My character has family in the Northern Water Tribe; their parents (or maybe grandparents?) were both non-benders from water bending families, before their airbending skills awakened and they joined the new Air Nomads. Two of my character’s cousins in particular are well-intentioned troublemakers, real get-rich-quick sorts who constantly get in over their heads. One time, while visiting their family, my character poked their nose into their cousin’s business and found out that one of their schemes had crossed some dangerous sorts - I’m thinking smugglers of some kind, or maybe street racers since we’re using modern tech? Anyway, my character bailed their cousins out of danger (first by fighting, then by talking things out?), then gave them a stern talking to (which they probably listened to for a couple of months, at best, then promptly forgot about).
Phase One Aspect: Cousins in the North Pole
(I’m thinking this aspect represents my character’s Water Tribe heritage, so aside from stuff literally involving their cousins, it could also be invoked for things like knowing Water Tribe customs and so on.)

My other two aspects depend on what other people come up with, of course, but I like the idea of one of them relating to my character’s airbender training; maybe something like Trains on Air Temple Island or Technically a Monk. I’m thinking that part of my character is the tension between the airbender monk life and training, and their interest in getting out there, seeing the world, and generally getting involved with things.

Skills: (Assuming we’re mostly using the standard list?)
Great (+4) - Crafts (or maybe that’s Mechanics with modern tech?)
Good (+3) - Airbending, Athletics
Fair (+2) - Fight, Physique, Will
Average (+1) - Empathy, Rapport, Drive, Lore

Stunts: Not sure yet, but maybe something like ‘Evasive Combatant’ which inflicts stress on people when I successfully dodge? And maybe ‘Talk To Me’, something to do with figuring out and fixing problems with machines?

Jovial, what do you think?

Well, read through the Fate Core rules and I'm 100% on board. If anyone's interested but put off by not knowing the rules, I'm happy to help out; they don't look too hard, and they sound like a lot of fun.

Here's what I've got for a character so far. I haven't settled on a name or gender for them yet; probably depends on who else is in the game.

Jovial, what do you think?
I dig it! You've got the right idea, dude. Stuff like the airball and glider would be a stunt, where it lets them move faster during a move.

The bending skills give you access to attacks like those seen in probending, and some out of combat stuff (bridges, drawing water from air, pushing people, indulging pyromania), but stuff like say, rapidly making a pillbox (fortification) would require a fate point, unless you take multiple turns (two or three)

I like “Technically a Monk” better, but you do you.

:) Hey, may I play?

I'm a bit weak on the lore. I've only seen the first Book of the series. The rest is bits and peices and minor spoilers.

You're looking for a possible future of that world with modern technology?

I have Daredevil sitting next to me here. HE says he would like to p lay too, preferably a blind earth bender who--like Toph--has advanced tremor sense.

Maybe Daredevil's character could be the Avatar? A blind Toph-style Avatar could be pretty cool.

I'm still pondering gender.

Double D's going to make a guy.

I'm imagining a fire bender girl--there are redheads Somewhere in avatar-world, right?

28378582_1571647676287942_3717516803615419158_n.jpg

But I'm also pondering a big jolly water bender. Maybe even kind of Simoan looking.

Best-polynesian-tattoo-ideas-for-him-and-her-9897987.jpg

Oh, that guy is not at all jolly enough.

And when I look at it, it seems Simoans actualy have a strong fire dancer tradition...

230df087a980f0c2626a24527d19071c--polynesian-men-polynesian-culture.jpg

Hmm...

SAMOA_-_The_Fire_Knife_Dance.jpg

Okay, Im still open to feedback--including for what sorts of erotic (and violent) themes you want in this story, but I'm starting to seriously consider an remote island culture with water benders. During the period of the original avatar series, the Fire Nation tried to conquer them a few times and were repelled. They were defeated before they could make a serious effort to take over. In one of those attempts, a fire bender woman was taken as a war bride, and I'm her descendant...

And, while i'm spamming the thread, a scene for you:

Confronted by ten times their number in rifle wielding soldiers, the big fire bender with the ropy muscles stepped to the fore of the small force of fire and water benders assembled to protect their home. He held a burning brand in one hand and his armies only level action rifle in the other.

"Some day," he called out, "This technology you bring against my people will make bending obsolete. All the moves we have mastered, all the discipline we have cultivated, and all the power we wield will be reduced to ritual dances and civilian tournaments."

The fire bender held high his people's one lever action rifle, then hurled it contemptuously to the other army. "That day is not today."

Tech isn’t quite modern. Gunpowder was discovered and refined, as well as mechanisms for firing bullets, so most things a civilian is likely to have are going to be either semi-auto or double action, with fully automatic weapons being a new technology prone to jamming and other issues.

I dig your character concept. Open to a lot of themes, but I want violence to be handled with caution and some sense of at least semi-realism. As for sex, it isn’t going to be asex focused game, but I expect it to happen. What do you guys think: smut in thread, or taken to Private Messages?

How about smut in thread where it's directly related to the plot, and smut in a side thread that others can read if the writer's aren't shy?

Heh. Daredevil does like the idea of playing the Avatar.

Will people be able to guide him--and myself--a little when our knowledge of cannon fails?

I'm happy to help out where I can. Been a while since I watched it myself, particularly the original series, but I'm sure it won't be much of an issue.

Smut in-thread, or in a side thread when it's going to be in the way, makes sense to me.

How about smut in thread where it's directly related to the plot, and smut in a side thread that others can read if the writer's aren't shy?

Heh. Daredevil does like the idea of playing the Avatar.

Will people be able to guide him--and myself--a little when our knowledge of cannon fails?
That sounds perfect. What about you guys? Like the idea of having a separate smut thread for non plot-relevant smut?

Looks pretty good so far.
Bird, you’re missing a social stress track.
Everyone, you get three free stunts and three refresh. You can trade in refresh for more stunts, but you need at least 1 refresh.

So since this is Fate for bending are we using lore and discipline like dresden fliles rpg does for slinging spells to control bending?

We looked it over and it seems there isn't anythign that modifies the social stress track. at least, not by atribute alone.

Traveler wanted each of the four core forms of bending to be it's own skill.

Back
Top Bottom