Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tabletop Game Discussion-dice, cards, etc

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
Yes. It’s an obsession of mine. I play lots of them. Board games, dice, card games, D&D 5e.....what do you play and rec?

Some recent faves of mine are Formula D, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Sushi Go, King of Tokyo (and I’ve barely scratched the surface). Anyone else? Would love to hear about what others play and rec and why. : )

I’ll add more later and definitely add my two cents as discussion progresses. ; )

Smash Up is excellent. My favorite combo so far is Cybernetic Apes and Mad Scientists, although I haven't played every combo.

I see it's an AEG game and I'm familiar with them because of Love Letter (though I guess AEG sold Love Letter to a different game company this past May...so says their website??? o_O). But anyway, reading up, that looks hella fun! I'll be adding it to my ever growing list. >.<

And so people can kinda look into the games I mentioned above (and uhh...they freakin' should):

Forbidden Island - link#1, link#2
Forbidden Desert - link#1, link#2
Formula D - link#1, link#2
Sushi Go - link#1, link#2
King of Tokyo - link#1, link#2

Some other great ones I'll mention at this time would be Love Letter, since I kind of already alluded to it, so...

Love Letter - link#1, link#2

And...

Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre - link#1, link#2 (I've learned that there are more sets than just Mt. Skullzfyre...oh the freakin' joy!!!)
Pandemic - link#1, link#2
Dead of Winter - link#1, link#2 (this one now has a new version out called "The Long Night", which can actually act as a standalone or an expansion to the original)

Oh, Sushi Go, I've actually played that. Exploding kittens is fun too.
Munchkins is an obvious.
and I wont even bother listing the super obvious TCGs and TTRPGs which are honestly far too numerous.

Once I got a better job I'll probably go to a local card shop and buy literally ever Smash up box. I'd looove to play it again but I don't have anyone to play against. Maybe once I move down to Appleton I can find a local comic and card shop.
I also want all of Munchkins too. Which would be a big waste of money but I so want to.

My friends and I devour board games, so I'll stick to our more recent purchases so I don't end up writing one wall of a post. Recently we have been enjoying:
- Azul (2-4 players): A beautiful strategic game of tile laying that it's accesible for all people since it's not only simple but also gorgeous to look at.
- Diamant (3-8 players): A short and sweet game of pushing your luck and balancing risks with being absolutely greedy for more and more gemstones. Easy to get in, hard to stop playing "just one more".
- Kobayakawa (3-6 players): The simplest one of the list. Fifteen cards numbered 1 to 15 and a bunch of tokens. As simple as it gets and a good way to introduce people that never played anything into the variety.
- Secrets (4-8 players): An absolute blast of a hidden role game, deception and confusion on par of a Coen brothers movie. Hilarious and pretty.
- Mysterium (2-7 players) and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (1+ players): This two are my absolute fave deduction games, even if they don't have much to do with each other. One is a cooperative asimetric game with gorgeous art that matches simple mechanics, the other more akin to a "choose your own adventure" book that can be shared.
- Magic Maze (1-8): Real time cooperative madness that will have you staring madly at your friends while unable to talk. A hectic riot of a game.
- Small World (2-5): If you like silly combos take a look at this tongue in cheek fantasy game about area control.

Other than those my group has several evergreen games that we end up coming back to once in a while like: Power Grid, Dead of Winter, Eldritch Horror, Ticket to Ride, Samurai Sword, Citadels, Deception, Salem 1962, Cargo Noir...

The only long game I tend to enjoy. Its a mess with so much content, but it's a theme park of crazy moments. It bogs down with higher player counts though.

3z9AaTx.jpg

I love Arkham/Eldritch Horror but can rarely find the time to gather people together for a game. I also really love deck-building games like Dominion and recently got into Mystic Vale which has a pretty neat gimmick where instead of adding cards to your deck you slot transparencies onto your cards to upgrade them so the number of cards in your deck remains static.

As for pen & paper, I mainly focus on D&D 3.5/Pathfinder and Shadowrun 4/5e.

I'm playing 5e, finished the Pathfinder Playtest and am very excited to get into 7th Sea.

I definitely want to play more non-rpgs but it's so much effort to organize...

I am a fan of a number of d20 systems, from D&D (Modern, Future, 3.5 & 5e), the Conan and Warcraft RPG's and Magic the Gathering... I have some multiplayer box sets I've never got to use however, and that makes me sad :(

I'm a huge fan of Tabletop RPG's.

My personal favorites include D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness (both Classic and New), Big Eyes Small Mouth, Boot Hill, and RECON, among others.

I've become a big board game fan in the past few years. I began as most do, knowing only Monopoly, Clue, etc... my friends were introducing us to new games, and I wanted to find more... and boy did I! I didn't know there was this massive culture, and I spend hours upon hours a day looking through board game geek for what I've missed.

Now I've got about a shelf and a half filled up with board games. I love co-ops, pirate themed, space themed, and many other things. My favorites right now are Firefly the board game, Jamaica, Flash Point, and I'm really getting into the X-wing miniatures game.

I really like Godbound, if you like insane power level-style stuff. You can become the chosen god of Say, Speed, Earth and Strength and build your character from there.

It's so much fun,

Back
Top Bottom