Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I'm just wondering...

Starcaller

Planetoid
So, I love plotting for an RP. Plotting, planning, fleshing characters out... (hate it when all plotting goes to nothing but that's a story for another day). However, I just fear and loathe the moment when I have to look for face claims for my characters. I'm so hard to please in that aspect, it's ridiculous! So I'm wondering, how many of you have this issue? And more, where do you go when you need face claims for characters? Where do you search?

I just don't do faceclaims cause none of them fit the image in my head. So I force my partners to just use their imagination (their brain) to paint the picture. My character stays intact for me and the partners can interpret their looks however they like.

Yeah, I mostly do that too but there just are people out there who can't do without that and more, I just feel kinda bad if my partner went through the trouble of finding a picture for their character and I didn't, y'know?

Well you shouldn't, they didn't have to look for one but it's their preference. Same as it's your preference to not use one.
Most of the time, the face claims I see in other people just don't really fit when I read how they portray their character; personality wise, etc... It seems off at times. And what bothers me with them is that sometimes people just link a face claim in a post and then leave it at that....there's no written description of their character which I find lazy. Even if they use the excuse of "i'm bad at descriptions".

Well, you are right. Generally, I'm not fond of the character sheet type of stuff. I mean, most of the times it just looks like a freaking resume. I much prefer characters showing their personality and traits through the story. But well, that may as well just be me. I just see it as in real life, nobody just comes up to you, hands you a sheet with all their history and such. You discover it through interaction.

Personally, I love hunting for face claims for my characters! Usually, I end up fleshing my characters out while I'm hunting for FCs. Looking at portraits lead to searching for photos of their outfits, their hobbies, their homes, their jobs, their sexual preferences... Next thing I know, there's a Pinterest board solely dedicated for that one character.

I often use Pinterest or WeHeartIt to look for face claims for real people and illustrated. For anthros, e621 is a good database. I haven't used any anime face claims, but if you know a show and/or the name of the character you want then ZeroChan. RPG Initiative also has a playby directory where you can filter characteristics that you want to see in your character.

Pinterest is often a great source for locating what you may need. It is for me.

There's nothing wrong with using a face claim, and it has no bearing on the persons imagination. Peoples minds work in different ways. I for example, my brain tends to rely heavily on visual stimulus. I used to draw a lot when I was young, If I had kept at it I feel I would have been able to better express what I see in my mind far better than I ever could with words. I enjoy telling stories based on pictures, there's often a lot that can be said and not everyone is going to interpret it the same.

When with a writing partner, I tend to go with what they prefer. If they don't like face claims I won't use them, if they have no preference? It could go either way. Some times it's simply fun to look at pictures to breed new ideas.

Oh, I use pinterest as well.

Imagination gone wild (ImaginationWild)

It's loaded with character boards xD although they also get revamped every now and then.
But I only use it for inspiration of stuff that reminds me of those characters. And when looking at portraits of people whether real or drawn or whatever, it's always the vibe or atmosphere that I go for. Like my serial killer doctor "Il Dottore", there's pictures of medical stuff and the medieval plague doctors. To present the vibe that the doctor isn't your typical one but a morbid aspect of it. the morbid curiosity about the human body, etc... But none of the pics accurately represent the way he looks like so I don't use them. But I do like to browse through the boards to put myself in the mindset of said character.
And as you will see some are more fleshed out than others.
I do keep character sheets on google docs just so I have their information nearby. Especially when it's been a while that I played a character. Or to remind myself why they are the way they are.

I generally use face claims, unless I really cannot find one that fits. I google around and generally I will find. I also prefer to have a picture of my partner's character, but can do without.

I like faceclaims and prefer to have them, but I don’t really care if my partner uses a faceclaim or not. It’s their preference. I don’t like it when people use multiple pictures that are all different for their faceclaim.

Back
Top Bottom