Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fate's Great Fear

Alba Zeno

Meteorite
“Each generation on this planet of Pamose has their own story of my work, tales of Fate’s chosen ones. Each one of the other weak Diopaku may have had a chosen hero or a story about them here and there, but the only one who ever truly mattered in history was me. Those destined to be great, heroes of the light and the villains shrouded in the dark whose names will live till the end of time, all because of my mercy and assistance. I made the paths they would take, paths of peace and chaos, life and death, and the one that the humans love the most. Good and evil. They always see themselves as good and who they're fighting as bad, never giving a single thought of the reasons another person fights. This is the beauty of ignorance and shows why humans will never reach the peace they all preach and beg for.

I controlled their lives and deaths, like putty in my hands. No mortals could resist my powers, except for Them! All my careful and perfect plans would always start to unravel when they would dare to interfere! A single race of people whose souls were beyond my influence! They were not swayed by birth to the dark or the light, they were The Greys.

That pathetic mortal race truly believed that humans should have the power to control their own destinies, just because they were touched by her power. The fools believed this so much that they began to influence the other races and even change the destinies of entire conflicts I bred! The hate and rage I felt toward them and their foolish disgusting guardian grew over the decades and centuries until it became so immense that sixteen years ago I made a drastic choice that I relish every single day. I influenced the people of the light and the dark, plus even other Diopaku, to come together and annihilate every single one of those filthy Greys! Millions died in the span of mere days, it was absolutely beautiful! Of course, there were some of the light and dark who rejected my orders and tried to defend the Greys. I delighted in their deaths and those that were captured alive, I provided them a greater purpose as test subjects and bait.

In every corner of the world; the cries of the children, the screams of the helpless, and the useless fighting could be heard. It was purely amazing and I couldn’t help but laugh as a sea of their worthless blood finally spilled to the ground of Pamose. Every now and then I have hopes one had lived, so I could fully exterminate them myself. Now they have been gone for sixteen years and all has been going exactly as I foresaw. I am expecting fun between Anistar and the Empire soon. This conflict will bring me one step closer to my final goal and begin the beginning of the end. Go now boy and watch the seed of mistrust grow in their weak pathetic hearts.”

Sixteen years earlier… A young couple was hiding in the shadows of a blazing city. They ran through the bloodstained streets, ignoring the screams and cries of pain and death that were echoed throughout the town. The smoke danced around as a grey cloud, hiding the deaths of entire families just out of sight. The shadows of the knights showed them breaking into houses, burning buildings so the inhabitants would run out into a waiting blade, and even throwing the newborn children to the ground before the CRUNCH of a skull would be heard. The couple was horrified and disgusted by this pure destruction of life and future generations of hope and freedom being completely and utterly annihilated without care or hesitation.

They ran through the narrow alleyways, careful to avoid any of the ones that were near the homes of old friends and allies. As they were nearing the main gate of the village, a blood-soaked beggar crawled out of a nearby doorway with his legs missing. The stumps and hanging flesh were leaving a pronounced blood trail. As the couple attempted to avoid his gaze, he saw them and began to crawl towards them and beg pathetically.

“Jason! Mai! Oh, Diopaku I am so glad to find you! You have to help me! They killed them! My daughter and Marie! They sliced off my legs! W-what are you doing?”

The man, Jason pulled out a sword and looked away as he stabbed the beggar right in the head. The beggar’s loud screaming was replaced with a horrible gurgling as his lungs filled with blood and he went silent. Jason and Mai turned from the sight, whispering a prayer for the man, and ran toward the safe haven of the nearby forest. They finally past the gates, just as a huge black stallion jumped in the way and knocked them to the ground. A large man dressed in black spiked armor that resemble thorns, calmly stepped off his horse as he pulled out a lance and an enormous shield from his back. The symbol of an arcing sun was etched into the shield and seemed to have been dyed red with the amount of blood on it. His armor was splattered with so much blood, it shined in the reflection of the flames. His twisted smile was exposed from the dark helmet that shielded his eyes, showing just how much joy he was taking in from this slaughter.

“Your guardian is imprisoned and will soon be dead. Your people are being purged from Pamose as we speak. You all should have known better than to tempt Fate’s fury for so long. She has a plan to finally rule creation, all that stood in the way were you all. The death of the Greys will be the birth of a new Pamose! A whole new universe! When I ordered this attack I never imagined it would be so easy! I guess you all were never really anything special.”

Jason jumped to his feet, rage toward the knight filling him. “You were the psycho who ordered this massacre! All this death for what?! You’re just as insane as Fate! You bastard, you think killing us will kill what the Greys stand for or the beliefs we spread across Pamose for generations?! You think with Fate by your side you’re invincible? Let’s go then, and when I put you down I swear you'll pay for what you have done. Even if you kill me, in the end, Fate will toss you aside the moment she has no further use for you. You’re nothing but a tool, she’s using until you've outlived your usefulness. After that, she'll throw you away like trash.”

Jason pulled out his sword and told Mai to run, but she shook her head and pulled out a wooden staff that had a multicolored stone on top. “Till death do us part, remember? I swore that day to stay by your side and I'll be damned if I leave you to die like this. We are leaving here together or dying here together, now let’s beat this bastard.”

Jason stared at her in shock, but then smiled nodding at her. “Fine love, then let's finish this quick and show this guy the power of the Greys!” Jason rushed the knight with quick stabs and jabs as Mai summoned several spheres of energy. The knight blocked Jason's every move with his shield, but while he was busy blocking Mai would use that as a distraction and shoot the energy spheres at his back and exposed armor weaknesses. Whenever the knight put distance between himself and Jason, he used his lance to stab at him at incredible speeds.

Jason dodged the lance the best he could but quickly found himself getting cut and nearly stabbed. Each attack that he managed to land simply bounced off the knight's accursed armor. He cursed and spun his sword making the knight back away, and giving Mai the perfect chance to hit the knight with several more orbs. Seeing just how hard his armor was, Mai aimed all her orbs on the same place and they exploded on impact, blowing a hole in the armor’s right shoulder piece.

The armor began to glow red as the hole slowly began to repair itself, with vine-like veins filling the hole. It was as though the armor was a plant and used the blood on it as nutrients to rebuild itself. Mai quickly realized they weren't going to win this fight as the footsteps of more soldiers were growing louder, so she grabbed Jason by the collar and raised her staff to teleport them away. The knight roared and refused to allow such weaklings to get the better of the Hero of Anistar, so he rocketed toward the couple trying to stab Mai with the lance.

Jason saw the knight coming and twisted his body, getting in the way of the lance’s path. Spitting out blood, he tightly grabbed his sword and plunged it into the hole in the knight's armor. The pain caused him to pull away, taking the lance and sword with him, just as the couple vanished.

Mai opened her eyes to find themselves in the unexplored territory that was behind the town. It was a jungle that the town’s bravest refused to travel into as monsters were said to be everywhere and they had lost a good few before. She knew they couldn’t stay here with being so close to the village, she rushed around and found Jason nearly unconscious from the lance wound. Using nearby herbs and quick thinking, Mai was able to stop the blood flow and get Jason to wake up. They hugged tightly and, after a moment of absorbing how their lives had just been destroyed in a matter of hours, decided they had no choice but to continue running deeper and deeper into the unknown. Even as they ran, the sounds of knights echoed through the jungle. A few hours later as they felt safer and began to rest, they were forced to fight back tears for their race who were burned, beaten, drowned, and slaughtered by the one who hated them most, Fate.

The couple tended to each other's injuries and hugged each other tightly with little hope anyone else could have escaped the devastating sneak attack. They decided they must live for all those who wouldn’t get the chance. Slowly, they began to make the most of their situation and build a new life from the ashes of their old one, keeping to themselves to never be noticed as the last of the Greys.

Two years after that day… The couple now owned a large treehouse that was camouflaged by the environment and was near enough to a town to blend in and get supplies when needed. Since the death of the Greys, the five countries of Pamose all have tried to stay at peace but any blind person could see how strained it was becoming. The last generation of the Greys was born in the forest and as luck would have it, they were twins. Jason and Mai named the children Airi and Asher, ancient Grey names.

Airi was born a few minutes just before her brother and the couple sensed that the children would have a hard life ahead of them. Mai would tell stories to the children as they grew, stories of the endless battles of the light and dark and the pained warriors that were always trapped in between. She and Jason told of the monsters they fought and the different races that the planet of Pamose had to offer. They taught the children of the world and the different kinds of people in it. She told of the forgotten Greys who had hidden in the shadows of the famous because their power to choose that made them dangerous and unique.

They alone had the true power of choosing what sides they believed and fought for, they alone once denied Fate’s plans. They were once so powerful and numerous that Fate refused to accept them any longer and instead convinced humanity they were a threat that was to be feared. As humanity does when afraid, they made the wrong choice and after killing the Greys, swore to unite if any others were to rise again. Whenever the children asked if any Greys were left, Mai would hug them and respond, “I’m afraid not.”

Back
Top Bottom