Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One handed fun...

Natali

Meteorite
Not that kind of one-handed fun! get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm looking for some suggestions for PC games.

I went on holiday last week and had an accident, was hit by a motorbike in a narrow alleyway while in Marrakech (anyone who has been there will know how many of htem there are!). Other than being a bit bruised all over from the fall, my only major injury is a few broken fingers and sprains in my left hand.

I can type with my right hand and have been making the most of that with roleplaying... but I've been told that I have to take 5 weeks off work - minimum.

My left hand however is currently completely unusable. I can't press keys, move a mouse, click etc.

One of my friends has been kind enough to lend me her desktop pc which is easier to use... So I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for any PC games that only a require a single hand to play? (can't do consoles, can't hold the controller with one hand)

I'm pretty open in terms of genre but since my income is low right now, I'd like to keep the budget below $40 if possible.

Any suggestions? :)

Natali said:
Not that kind of one-handed fun! get your mind out of the gutter!

I'm looking for some suggestions for PC games.

I went on holiday last week and had an accident, was hit by a motorbike in a narrow alleyway while in Marrakech (anyone who has been there will know how many of htem there are!). Other than being a bit bruised all over from the fall, my only major injury is a few broken fingers and sprains in my left hand.

I can type with my right hand and have been making the most of that with roleplaying... but I've been told that I have to take 5 weeks off work - minimum.

My left hand however is currently completely unusable. I can't press keys, move a mouse, click etc.

One of my friends has been kind enough to lend me her desktop pc which is easier to use... So I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for any PC games that only a require a single hand to play? (can't do consoles, can't hold the controller with one hand)

I'm pretty open in terms of genre but since my income is low right now, I'd like to keep the budget below $40 if possible.

Any suggestions? :)

Some obvious choices that leap out would be FTL or XCOM 1/2 (which are on sale on Steam, if you happen to catch it before Monday). Both have a turn-based or pause-based style that would fit neatly with what you're looking for.

Aside from that, there's a whole whole off top-down RPGs that might hit the note for you. Divinity Original Sin 2 is a personal favourite, but would probably end up over 40 dollars. The first is very good as well, and should be fairly cheap.

Civilization is another classic pull. You could pick up 6 on deal on Steam (in the same 2K deal for the weekend) or go even cheaper and grab 4 or 5 with their expansions for really rather little. They might even end up being fuller experiences, as they were matured after release while 6 is still in-progress.

Those are the biggies that are occurring to me right now, but I'll add more if they come to me.

I was going to suggest Civ 6. I just bought it on sale on steam and am loving it. It seems (so far) you can play entirely with the mouse.

Without a genre to go on, I'll just toss out some suggestions from my library that I wager could be played with a single hand that are also not too costly (mostly RPGs and turn-based roguelites/likes). Also, I use a pretty 'weak' laptop so none of these will be too graphically intensive either:

Card Hunter: A card-based tabletop style game, kind of a mix of card games and D&D. If nothing else, it's free to play, and can be played co-operatively.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: Digital implmentation of a tabletop game; a co-operative card game based around superheroes. It has an online component and single player, though I find not a lot of people are on, and it kinda can get old quick if you don't buy into the DLC stuff.

Curious Expedition: Roguelike expedition simulation with sprite-based graphics, set in the late 19th century. Not much story to speak of, but I found it entertaining for a fair bit of time, and it's 35% off right now.

Shadowrun Returns: Single player, turn-based tactical cyberpunk RPG. Admittedly, I haven't played much of this, but I enjoyed the hour I did and will be going back to it.

Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition: A retro space-strategy turn-based RPG, with crew management, and base building. Along with seemingly some roguelite elements.

Into The Breach: Pacific Rim meets Edge of Tomorrow. You play as time-traveling mechs fighting kaiju bug-creatures. There's not much story to speak of, and it is more of a puzzle game than a tactial game, using movement and positioning to keep yourself alive, made by the same people who did FTL (that someone suggested above).

Darkest Dungeon: Gothic roguelike turn-based RPG. Priciest one on this list, by a fair margin given your budget.

Other suggestions that I'm not 100% sure could be done one-handed (or haven't played any of yet): Fallout Classic Collection, Beamdog's Enhanced Edition RPGs, Monster Loves You!.

Thank you! Plenty of games on there on that I'd never heard of, and a couple of them are definitely drawing my attention. Hopefully that should give me something to do for a while!

It's a browser game, but Cookie Clicker can be worryingly addictive. You only need one hand for it, and it can quickly become a black hole of time.

I tried your cookie suggestion just now Mellow, and I got so wrapped up in it that I tried to pick up a cup of tea with my left hand. There were tears.

MellowYellow said:
It's a browser game, but Cookie Clicker can be worryingly addictive. You only need one hand for it, and it can quickly become a black hole of time.

I'll echo what Mellow said.

It's oddly disturbing how quickly you can get sucked down the black hole that is Cookie Clicker.

Natali said:
I tried your cookie suggestion just now Mellow, and I got so wrapped up in it that I tried to pick up a cup of tea with my left hand. There were tears.

Oof, sorry. Yeah, CC can be shockingly engrossing for such a basic game.

Good news though, decided to buy a game this morning based off one of a suggestion someone sent me via PM. Game called Northgard.

Back
Top Bottom