Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Which is more inviting? [closed]

ImaginationGoneWild

Loremaster Extraordinaire!
I'm trying to decide which type of lay-out for a request thread appears more inviting.

I've tried both before but I experienced varying results with it. Since you guys are the biggest member-base I've seen so far for a forum that allows adult themes. I'd figure why not ask you guys?

Currently I have a more list-based lay-out. It just sums up the facts and gets right to the point.
Or does a more personalized lay-out work better? Like the whole: i'm x age, i'm z gender, blabla real life. And then giving out an extended reason why i'm looking for the things i'm looking for?

I'm also debating whether I should add my ideas and list of characters to a request thread or not but I have a LOT of them. I don't know if it'll come across as just rambling a list of things that people will just skim over...

RE: Which is more inviting?

I can only tell how do I like my own, that being a short elevator pitch of a few plots preceded with a couple things about how do I like to play/write. But that hardly speaks for what would be the best choice. Try different things seeing what are you comfortable with, perhaps with separators or spoiler hidden sections to not make it look too big. See it as the first thing a future partner will know about you, and try to make it enticing and informative so it's not the last.

Which do you prefer? Do you like the get-to-the-point list method, or do you want to know that information about the person? I know that appealing to the most people/getting the most replies is the ideal, but if you put out what you prefer, I think you'll appeal to people who like things the way you like. The people who are goign to skim will skim no matter what, so don't worry about it. I suspect that people go into a request thread looking for their specific thing. If they don't find it they likely bail, and if they do find it they likely go back and read more.

Now, I can understand not wanting to put a novel on there; the bigger the post, the more intimidating it might look. But including some plots and some characters can't hurt.

What I would suggest is put to put the most pertinent stuff in the first post of your request thread. The stuff you really want, and the things with the broadest appeal. Then, each time you bump your thread, do so with more plot/character ideas. That way if people want to see more, they can just keep scrolling down, the first post not overwhelming, and you are bumping iwth content rather than just "bump".

I personally think the way you have your request thread now is very invitiing. it helps those who are only looking for certain things to filter through and almost immediately decide if you would be compatible or not. It's really efficient that way!

I've really struggled with writing something that doesn't end up feeling like a shopping list. So reading this thread has been insightful and interesting. But it doesn't leave me any closer to knowing how I want to write mine. I agree with HeyThere - it works really well.

Back
Top Bottom