Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Whom the Gods Annoy (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons): Chapter 1. The Stars of Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilithsboy

Star
Night had settled in the city and normally at this time the streets would be as busy as a noonday market if not more so; however, tonight the streets were deserted hardly a rat could be seen digging through the garbage. The people were scared and locking themselves in their own homes but even that did not make some feel safe for word was that some were vanishing behind locked rooms.

As a crescent moon descended and dawn began to break the almost palpable feeling of dread lifted. People woke this day, not to crows calling but alarm bells ringing and the sounds of guards running through the streets. Signs were being posted on all the bulletin boards at the inns and street corners. A call was sent out for adventurers who had no ties to the land itself. Last night it was not some lowly begger or small town merchant who disappeared, but the daughter of a visiting dignitary, and if she were not found soon it could mean civil war.

Sinna_and_Adrahael_Evensong.jpg

Andarael Evenong

Had any been walking the streets beside the inn known as the Salazar Arms last night, they might of seen—up on the third floor—the shutters of a window sill being opened a few hours before sunrise.

Framed in the light of the candle burning on the bedside table was a creamy skinned elf girl with long, silver-frosted, snow white hair. As was her habit when taking rest in a bed, the young maiden had stripped down to her fine white lingerie.

The elf girl glanced back at the bed where her mirror image still rested in the reverie, still and peaceful, at one with the universe, her eyes open but unseeing. The other girl was her twin, her heart's mirror. The only real way to tell them apart was the tattoos. The girl on the bed—being reverent to Hanali Celanil, goddess of beauty and romance—had red roses tattooed on her thigh and hip. The girl by the window did not, though as she turned, her hair swished smoothly away from her back momentarily giving a clear view of the tattoo clawing it's way up her shoulder—a lioness rampant with sable fur and golden eyes.

With a tender smile, the first girl turned back to the window and stood vigilant watch over the sleeping city—what little of it she could see from this one vantage—as the mortals within awaited the dawn.

“It's a curious thing, isn't it Sinna,” She said softly when her sister woke, “That these mortals live such brief lives, but waste so much of them sleeping? Radiant flares of brilliant light, capable of horrible evil and indescribable beauty, then snuffed out by time or violence in a few short decades. Even that of them which passes on to a heaven or hell does so with no memory of who they'd been in life.

“Then there's us. You and I are little more than children, but we've seen humans bury great grandparents who were younger than we. A few candle marks of reverie ever day centers us and rejuvenates us so that we may return to our normal lives, dancing, studying and training...

“We will likely spend at least half a millinea here on Aber-Toril, maybe twice that, before passing whole into the eternal land of Aryvandor. Sometimes I wonder... In that entire span of time, will my light burn half as bright?”

By the dawn, the young bladesinger had put a good deal of thought into the problems this city faced, and had already prepared her small arsenal of spells to address them to the best of her ability. In the end—be it by sword or spell—she was a warrior, not a detective.

Finishing her last slice of ham, she pushed back an empty bowl that had contained fruits and berries a few minutes ago. “They need us Sinna. I don't know how many of the People dwell here, if any, but I'd like to help them. If there is not a single elf in need in this town, well, I am still sworn to uphold our way, and it is not the elven way to let the innocent suffer.”

Kelic Darkstrider

Kelik Darkstrider had awakened half an hour before the dawn, not to the usual sound of animals and birds singing, but to a deafening silence. Very unusual for an early morning. Even in a city, he expected to hear crickets on their fiddles and birds laying claim to their morning perches.

Tonight, not even rats scrambled in the alley behind his room.

Feeling the unusual chills to the morning air, Kelik thinks to himself, This city is frozen somehow. Frozen in unseen terror. But as to the cause of it? I don’t know. It has me more than a little on edge. Not only do I feel the people's terror, but the very animals speak to me in fearful whispers. Something must be done.

With grave determination, Kelic knelt, and held his unicorn pendent in his hands as he prayed to Meiliki for the power to make the wrong things right.

Next, to keep his mortal body strong, he traveled down to the common room of the awakening inn and ordered a hearty breakfast. By the time he'd eaten his fill, messenger's were putting up signs.

Striding to a bulletin board, he touched the note a man had just hammered up. “Where do I go to answer this?”

Marl Marl had risen early as he was taken to reviewing the previous days books for his nephews' smithy. He had finished consecrating the small shrine to Dumathoine at the entrance to the forge last week and had stayed to see that they knew the appropriate rituals for the little shrine to prevent befouling the site. It appeared that the nephews were not charging appropriately for their goods according to the local market. Yes, you could get pad this much for their services in the Hold, but not in a mixed community that wouldn't recognize their craftsmanship. They made nails that would last a century and hammers that would work as long. Their tools were higher quality, but the people around here didn't look that far into their future, hell most wouldn't live that long. He had noticed that business was slow, and for a dwarven smithy, idle time when they had skills as his nephews did, was a waste and a shame.

He had encouraged his nephews to make staple products a grade below their current work, for the common man, still better than common fare, but charge the common price. Get their name out there. Sign some projects that they can honestly say their work went into. Then as their name spreads a bit, then pitch their higher quality to the true architects and craftsmen. Another idea was to branch into a niche service. Team with a trapper or ranger to provide exotic birds in beautiful cages, or something of the like. They needed steady currency, something that will allow them the leisure to work on their more industrious projects, their specialty goods. They needed something that would allow them repeat business or word-of-mouth advertisement.

As it was they were spending more than they were taking in, and their product sat on the shelf, seen as too high priced for what people were wanting. The alarm arose as the last of his notes were drying. This drew the dwarf to the window, and as it came clear through the morning, Marl turned and began saying his prayers over his gear as he placed it on. He brushed through his muddy brown hair and beard, though he never once thought to braid it allowing it to flow forth.

Presentation, the cryers were saying that the city needed people, ones who were not connected to the town. He had felt the wrong that lay over the town during the last month that he had lain within their walls, but had missed the crux as his interests were taken with the shrine preparations.

Handing his notes to the youngest nephew, Aldor, he made his way to the door. "May be in for the evening, might not. Save the cot fer me, and I will warm it as I can. If I be leaving, I will send word. Remember the rits now, for reconsecration will cost you and yer brothers their hides. And don't skimp the church, I ain't passin' the loan, but Dumathoine knows yer price." He growled as he left the smithy, he truly hoped the boys well, but they would keep looking to him every turn if he stayed here. He needed to make it obvious that he wasn't staying and that they needed to make their own decisions. He wasn't coming back tonight, even if he had to stay at an inn.

Following the pages back to their master after the papers were sent to be distributed was nothing, and from there he found where to answer the call for aid.

Sinna Evenong

The white haired elf—still luxuriating in bed despite being well rested—glared a bit at her twin sister. The elf maid sat up, her hair a bit wild from just enjoying the silence of the morning 'til her sister started prattling. So early in the morning to get philisohical!

Sinna groaned and thought to herself, Why must she be so loud? We know what we must do and the words we live by.

Sinna waited for her dear twin to finish her morning rituals. Once the other girl came down, Sinna groaned and pulled her self from the bed. Her bare feet could be heard on the wood panel floor as Sinna crossed to hug her sister from behind. The girl with the rose tattoos trailed her hands down the other girl's arms. Sinna's twin could feel a bit of silk in one hand trailing down her right arm. As Sinna reached her beautiful twin's wrists, the other girl began to feel it go around her wrists. “Will you behave or do I have to get rough with you?” Sinna's tone light hearted and non threatening but a bit annoyed. “You are bit to noisy for first light and I want some quiet while I get ready. Will you accept your fate?”

Andarael Evenong

The bladesinger felt slow, sensual shivvers race down her spine at the feeling of an unkown silky binding tantalising her wrists. For a split second she hesitated, remmebering the fear the vilager's suffered. Then, feeling the first light of false dawn upon them, she leaned in and grazed her twin's lips with her own. "My fate is in your hands, sweet Sinna."

Sinna Evenong

Sinna grinned and returned the kiss as she bound her sisters wrists. She then padded over to the bed and retrieved another two strands of silk. Sinna tied one with a knot in the middle and pressed it to her sisters lips. “Now be a good girl, my dear Andarael, and face the consequences of being so loud in the morning."

Sinna gently pressed her self up against her sister, waiting for the other girl to accept the gag.

Once Andarael's lips parted to accept the gag, Sinna tied it off behind her head and gently patted her ass to let her know she wanted her to raise it. Adrahael knew this meant she wanted access to her ankles. Once Andarael raised her butt Sinna crossed the ankles and tied them together. "Now stay still and quite while I get ready and that will be they end of your punishment,” Sinna smiled playful as she set to her rituals to prepare spells, get cleaned, and finally get dressed. She slipped into new under garments and a dress of alternating white and black patterns forming diamonds shapes that contained both colors. She then slipped on a black pair of soft leather black boots with a reinforced sole to protect her if she should step on broken glass but not much else.

Those who express interest are directed to the castle a well fortified building overlooking the town. Only one road goes to it and from high atop the steep hill it has a clear view of anyone who would approach, a sheer cliff goes drops into the ocean on the western side.

A number of people have gathered but most are simply gawkers and there is quite the spectacle. Aides and officials of every sort dash around bringing maps as nobles and military officials argue over what could have happened and whom is to blame. From what you overhear the girl disappeared from a room with only arrow slits and the door was still locked from the inside. The only concurrence is that no one on either side trust the other right now. Visiting dignitaries are being accused of faking the whole thing to give an excuse for a war no one wants and the actual rulers of the area are being accused of everything from murder to slavery.

No one seems interested in calming the situation but there is a Que beginning to register parties interested in helping.

Sinna Evenong

After finally completing her preparations, Sinna walked over to her blushing sister and kissed her cheek. She set to removing the restraints from the other girl's ankles then her wrists. "Don't you move yet," Sinna teased, then removed the gag and tossed it aside. "Alright, lets go."

Sinna made her way to the door, opened it and headed down the hall. She made it to the breakfast table and had a few minutes to eat as the chaos of the morning rose.

Agreeing with her twin, she left with the other girl to render aide.

Andarael Evenong

Andrahael walked arm in arm with her twin up to the castle. The young bladesinger wore—over her alluring white lingerie—a white and silver dress, bound in the back with indigo ribbons—and an indigo pleated skirt. Her hair was bound back by an indigo ribbon and her longsword was clipped to a silver chain at her waist.

She stepped into the line and waited patiently, gazing at the spectacle in the court with mixed amusement and concern.

Reaching the steward, she introduced herself, “I'm Andrahael Evensong of the Leopard school bladesigners. This is my sister Sinna. We'd like to help.”

Marl Strakeln, priest and man who feels if he leaves it up to government and politicians to find this boy he will have his own grandchildren before the committee finishes identifying the questions that should be asked of the guards. Now let someone who is tested in studying the mysteries seek the boy." He placed his mark on the Steward's paper, then moved to the line where the prospective seekers would proceed from here. As the excitement built, he turned to the elf in the white and silver dress before him. In a loud boisterous voice he clapped himself on the knee and announced, "They be posting a portrait and reward at the Scaled Dragon, He's Not Here, The Gardens of Meditation, and the Golden Goose. You heard it here, the Lord will shower glories upon the person who finds the lad."

The dwarf had just mentioned four of the largest inns and taverns in the city, the Scaled Dragon was run by a dwarf, and catered to the lower denizens and rougher side of town. Willing to accept all coin that entered the door, bouncers strong enough to hold the crowd to a dull roar. He's not Here, was a house of discretion that held a large and thriving bar attached. The Gardens of Meditation was an elven run establishment which offered fine liquors, wine, conversation and for more, well more, but catered to the influential and elves. The Golden Goose a fine little high end dining establishment with side rooms for gaming, drinking, and meetings.

As he fielded the response several of the crowd heard and the word began spreading fast, even thinning a bit as some left to get a good look at the portrait and reward when they arrived. He watched the crowd with the same scowl he wore for everything else. Taking note of anyone with too much interest in the gathered would-be investigators. Someone taking too much pleasure from the chaos. As he drank in the reactions of the those of the crowd, he leaned in to the whisper to the elf. "Well, it's true, ye heared it here. If he is unwilling to do any more, if the boy be found I will pick a basket of 'glories and let him have it poured over the person who helped. Make it a small ceremony of sorts. I did it with a bunch of kids back in the Halls to get them to find a friend's doll."

Kelik Darkstrider checked the bulletin board. After asking the guard more about what was going on, he followed the guard’s direction up to the castle, signed up to help, and then moved to stand quietly with a dwarf and two lovely elf lasses.

The elfkin flashed the dwarf a smile and introduced himself, “My name is Kelik Darkstrider, of the Forestarms of Meiliki. I was directed up here by the guards at the inn. Will we be working together?”

Leon Rider

As a holy knight, and one devoted to the tenants of guarding things not that weren't just sacred, but beautiful, it was not hard to convince him to keep Civil war from happening. As he approached the group of elves and dwarves, the human gave a nod. "Leon Rider, Heartwarder of Sune. I'm here to help as well, if such is still necessary!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom