Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Forgotten Realms Pathfinder: Seeds of Evil) Ch. 1: The Gates of Honey Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenshi

Supernova
Poison_Ivy_2.jpg

Aramina Honeywine

A few days south of Waterdeep down the Trade Way they traveled, each on their own business, close enough together to get hints that they weren't alone on the stretch of road To the north and west of the road the last few miles of the Misty Forest stretched, the primeval magic of the ancient woods an ever-present reminder of the grandeur and danger of the natural world. Beyond the Misty Forest loomed a great gray mesa—the High Moore.

In the last few minutes of evening, with the sun sinking out of sight beyond the foreboding plateau, up ahead a girl's voice crooned a gentle song in the lyric language of nymphs and sprites. The first to catch up to the tone would espy a buxom young woman, clad in only the scantest garb of living leaves and vines, reclined on a rise beside the road. She sang to welcome the first stars of evening, reclining on a blanket of hr own rose red hair.

* * *​

A little further down the road, a little later in the night, Nolymae of the Moonwood made her way past farms and fields to the gates of Honeyton. With nightfall, the soothing thrum of bees industriously going about their business from flower to flower gave way to serene silence. Then a series of howls that just didn't have the feel of normal, healthy wolves running down bounding dear in the night.

A chill was creeping across the silvermaid's flesh. It was as if—despite the stars hanging in the night like luminous diamonds studying a sable cloak, Shar—goddess of darkness and despair—held dominion over this night, and still would even when the moon rose.

Perhaps she could persuade the townsfolk to open their gates and let her in despite the late hour?

Sylfeal Simbane was having a similar experience as she broke the tree line into the fields surrounding Honeytown.

As Sylfiel broke through the treeline she saw the small walled town of Honeytown before her. The eerie sound of the howling wolves made her shiver. The scarce light from the stars made enough light for her elven eyes to see but the lack of the sun was disturbing. There was something not right about this night at this place.

Sylfiel was dressed in her light leather outfit that hugged her body and left little to imagination. Several knives were strapped to her body but she didn't otherwise carry any weapons.

She made her way towards the town's gate hoping that they'd open their gates for her despite the late hour.

55ef8cb13393a4727d80608072f882bd--female-armor-female-knight.jpg

Abigail Marteau
Further back in the forest, riding along the road yet still quite a ways from the treeline is a tall woman astride a large tan destrier, the woman clad in fluted heavy armour and a rose-coloured tabard. The sign of the dawning sun is delicately picked out on one shoulder, and carefully sown onto the heraldry of the imposing horse. Abigail had been riding for several days now, and both she and her horse were getting tired and fatigued, due to the lack of smaller towns in which she could sleep properly. As it was, the pale-haired woman sighed heavily.

Far too many of the hamlets in this area were rather untrusting of outsiders, and she had done her very best to foster goodwill via healing and the dispatch of small groups of raiding monsters or randomly roving undead. Despite this sincere effort, their insular nature meant that she had to personally prove herself to each separate town in turn.

Another of those wolf-like howls sounded in the distance, the noise surprisingly loud, but not unexpected this close to the Fey lands of the Misty Forest.

Abigail was unsure how close the town of Honeyton was, but she was hopeful that she would arrive quite soon. She was not looking foward to yet another night standing resolutely still, and having to call on that sacred and divine power just to avoid ambush - again.

Nolymae

Riding a young white horse and shining with a halo of gentle, silvery light, Nolymae approached the gates of Honeytown and dismounted. The girl's slender, graceful figure was clad in little more than a short, gossamer gown which rippled in the night wind, yet the mundane chill of the night seemed to bother her not at all. What did bother her were the frightful howls of the wolves in the nearby woods and the lack of Selune's comforting presence in the sky above.

She stroked her steed's mane gently and looked toward the gates, where another traveler had already arrived just before her and was even now requesting entrance. Everywhere she went, Nolymae's inner light cast back darkness around her as surely as a bright torch- a gift she'd had from birth. For now, she suppressed her light so as not to alarm the other woman and the guardsmen of the town, and walked forth to the gate, issuing a soft greeting and adding her voice to the request for sanctuary. "My name is Nolymae, and I too have come to request shelter."

Baltana

Moving up the road at a decent pace she appeared in what a casual observer might think were rags with a gandasa at her hit and a bow across her back along with a heavy shield - in truth that was mostly illusion from her sleeves and she was dressed in sturdy Darkleaf Hide.

She was a somewhat odd figure, mixing an exotic delicate attractiveness with the deadly assurance of one used to the stresses combat - and a seemingly oblivious nature to both aspects.

She liked the night, still and quite where you could hear the sounds around you - which is what made her pickup her speed to encounter the potentially sylvan creature singing ahead of her on the road. Sould be some twisted fey spirit, some monster luring people to it, even a hag - she grimaced at that. Or perhaps a friendly dryad or other traveler which might be a pleasant conversation to have.

Approaching the red haired beauty "here you" she sounded in Sylvan "what are ya and what are you about" - her eyes scanned the creature trying to discern its nature, and than the tracks it had left.

Knowledge Nature (take 10: 15): to identify what the Aramina Honeywine is (i.e not and animal, fey, monstrous humanoids, plant or vermin).
Survival (take 10: 16): To note if the Aramina Honeywine tracks match what she appears to be.

Balenor was more creature of the night than of the sun, not only was he a dream speaker but he had grown up in the Temple of a moon goddess and was later claimed by the shadows themselves. Still, he did not like the feel of this one an almost tangible sense of menace crawled along his skin and time had long since past to find shelter. The night makes him uneasy with nothing but a thought to the sleeves on his wrist he transfers his clothing into garments equal to even the darkest nights. His unease is felt by his familiar who makes a slight error in his evening work.

No No No! I have told you before when making those you need to apply the nightshade after the Naga venom here use this first!

Reaching into his pack he pulls out a vial and passes it through an air hole on the sachel the familiar often calls home being what he is he has no need for light so the witch covers the box so it reflects nothing.

There now that just about ought to do it I think we are ready to finish up those vestments. Just as soon as you weave in that nightshade.

The night is getting to him and he will soon be needed to help with the finishing touches of his next project gathering the shadows of the new night he manipulates fate in his favor, letting loose a cackle that would make any hag proud when done.

A few moments later with a few arcane gestures he manipulates the powers coming from the box ordering them into the proper patterns that can sustain the magical powers already imbued into the cloth.

Wonderful! these will probably sell nicely in this region given how nature is having its way with the place. Now I want to put your box away so that it does not reflect any light come on out.

The door to the box opens seemingly on its own and out comes a scorpion the size of the average house cat. It crawls up the front of the elf over his face and disappears somewhere inside the hood nesting so that it can watch out for any incoming dangers. The elf reaches into the box and pulls out a green overcoat with an exquisite forest scene done in gold embroidery and places it in his backpack before shoving the container seemingly too large inside one of the side pouches. Another cackle escaping his lips. He travels thus the only trace of his passage is the intimidating laughter.

Spellcraft 24 to make those
With a fortune hex and a cackle to keep it going.

Narunir

The night was rapidly cooling off as a lone figure made his way along the road from Waterdeep to Cormyr. Not that anyone could tell their gender just by looking at them, as the cloak they were wearing covered their entire body. Nevertheless, Narunir walked along, shivering slightly as he walked. Despite the late hour he was eager to reach his destination, and the warm bed that awaited him at the end of it.

Poison_Ivy_2.jpg

Aramina Honeywine

Yellow-green eyes opened and a smile stretched across rosy lips. The redhead rose to a seated position on the rise beside the road, looking across and down at the hard bodied, raven haired girl. “Oh!” she gave a delighted squeal. “You have such a lovely accent. It's been a few weeks... Oh!” she piped up in delight again. “You have leaf armor too, and the most beautiful eyes. Please say we can be friends?”

She hopped up and danced down to the road, bounding over the ditch to land close to the changeling, offering her hand. “My name is Aramina, daughter of Honeywine.” The inflection she gave the single syllable joining Aramina and Honeywine suggested to a Sylvan speaker that the relationship was adoptive. “And you want to know what I am? Well...” She gave a little shrug that made her bosom rise and fall despite the scant support the leaves offered. “I... Suppose I'm human? It's an odd question, don't you think? What are you?”

Baltana

She was slightly confused by the womans reaction, traveling was dangerous and as such this seems an odd reaction to her ... but she did appear human and her tracks seems to indicate as such.

Grasping her hand she allowed her finger nails - as sharp as a dagger - to slip over the womans skin slightly to get a feel for her, not enough to cut or hurt but enought that she could be comfortable that the woman did not have a hags, or even a changelings natural resilience.

Aramina might notice that the shorter womans own skin while soft was somewhat unwielding, similiar to how her own was when she used nature to ward herself.

"Hmm ... perhaps we can be friends" she pulled the taller woman close looking up at her, using her movements to gauge strenght - strong but not oddly so.

"You seem to be telling the truth to me so I will trust ya" she held the woman close "for now, but if you turn out to be some beastie seeking to kill and eat me I will not be happy" she held her gaze for a few seconds but than blushed as she realised the intimacy of there position her head tilted to look into the womans eyes made her chin right at the woman's soft bosom.

She let go and jumped away blushing "sorry, not used to odd travelers on the road - so cautious and thought you might be some hag or the like luring in victims" she quickly explained before composing herself.

Sharess was a goddess of passion but Balthana was only a lay worshiper at best and so equate it to the passion of battle, she had mostly avoided other passions as a rule - but that was not to say she was unfamiliar with them, looking at the woman as a friendly human in the woods rather than a monster wanting to eat her made the whole thing somewhat odder.

"Anyway adopted daughter of a human, child of a half elf, Balthana" she introduced herself she felt that more didn't need to be said on that on her heritage - "experienced beastie killer".

Her eyes met the human's again "ya didn't say what you were about Aramina" she retured to point after having been distracted.

45214eb9d2a2d40e1cd10bbea19c0ffc.jpg

Honey Town's wall was about twelve feet high, with small towers on either side of the arched gate. Four archers stood on those towers, bows held causally at their sides with one hand, arrows knocked. They were bearded men, not handsome, but fit and clean, wearing breastplates, short swords, and quivers. Their eyes—different shades of brown—wandered Nolymae's body as she approached.

Guardsman.jpg

Three more men stepped into before the silvermaid, one setting a lantern down behind them so they could see each other clearly. Two of the gaudsmen bore heavy cudgels, sheathed swords, and sturdy shields.

1401381520218.jpg

Randal Thrace, Seargent of the Night Watch

The third of them wore a finer and heavier armor. Rather than a shield, he wore a greatsword across his back and a cudgel on his hip. This was the man who addressed her. “Good evening, fair maiden. Its' a shame you got here so late. I'm forbidden to allow any entry to the town after dark. The werewolves who haunt the forest are a great danger, as are the bandits who seek to steal the town's mead.”

Sylfiel could hear this discussion as she drew closer. The archer's eyes rose to the sleek elfmaid in her revealing outfit.

As she approached, Sylfiel could hear the discussion at the gate. The talk of werewolves didn't make her feel any more comfortable. The dark and grim tales of the vile beasts were enough to make a shiver run down her spine.

She came up next to the fair white haired woman that looked so beautiful and delicate, like she'd just stepped out of a dream. Sylfiel would have complimented her beautiful dress had they been in the security of the town. Instead she said to the man on the wall, "My good man. As you can see we are neither bandits out to steal mead nor are we werewolves." She licked her lips and continued, "We just need a safe place to stay for the night and if you are the one to help us I'm sure we can find out a way to compensate you that will satisfy you."

Sylfiel knew that simple men like these only thought of one thing. Gold. And she still had some left and tonight seemed like a good time to spend some to avoid spending the night with werewolves and bandits.

To many, Alyx would appear to be a common traveler. Unarmed and unarmored, he almost looked vulnerable - still a tall and well built man, but with no weapon and no armor, surely he could not be a normal threat, right? And yet he had a natural confidence to his stride, a calm and collected look about him that showed he felt little danger for the world around him. Dressed in well furnished but also well worn travelers clothing, his dark skin and hair were a contrast to his gold flecked pupils, almost glowing as they looked across his destination. It seemed he was not alone on his path – two women, a redhead of questionably leafy attire, and another woman were on the same road as well. Moving to approach them in a more open manner, he gave a small smile to the two, “Ah, this seems like i’m on the right road then. Though I wasn’t expecting to run into others.” His accent was a little unusual, clearly not from the area – and this close, one could see that bits of his skin almost seemed to shimmer in the growing darkness.

Narunir

Looking up briefly Narunir was shocked to see a few other figures on the road before him. After all, it was late, and one would expect most sane people to be safely in their beds by now (And what did that say about him, he carefully didn't wonder). As he came closer though a crimson blush came to his face as he saw how one of the woman was dressed.

"I wasn't expecting to see so many people on the road so late," he said, his eyes occasionally flickering to the redhead's significant cleavage, always looking away after a second from embarrassment. "Still, I'm always happy to meet a fellow traveler. Narunir Cadarn's the name, pleased to meet you all!"

Traveling down a road at night one of the worst things a lone traveler can come across is a group of people. Of course, that is exactly what would happen on a night like this one is going to be. Thankfully he notices the band up ahead has a friendly face in it and if the other three are any trouble, a repeat customer who does seem to have a bit of honor so he believes at worst the odds will be 2 against 3 not bad considering... He cackles to himself and cast mage armor just in case it should last him till he can find shelter even if they are not hostile.

Pike get ready we are going to come across a group of people soon and if they are hostile we are going to do our normal thing, I incapacitate them and you slit their throats... maybe they will even have some things to sell... If they are not hostile then we will be safer in numbers.

I will go when you are ready. He speaks out as he approaches the group.

Hello Alyx I do hope I am not interrupting an... intimate gathering. Exactly what is going on here?

Balenor cannot help but cackle in embarrassment as he notices he just walked up to a woman in armor standing whit a customer and another female barely dressed in leaves and a half-breed in just pants.

e529982033525ee5c1f99ef09b7a47c1--character-concept-character-ideas.jpg

The dark furred women spurred on her oxen to pull her covered wagon in the direction her and her mother's vision guided her. She mused to herself about the vision and what the goddess was getting her into now.

Feline eyes scanned the trail ahead, peeled for anything out of the ordinary. She also took care to spot anyone else on the trail before she ran them over.

Poison_Ivy_2.jpg

Aramina Honeywine

The redhead's smile widened when the raven haired girl said they might be friends. She frowned at the mention of beasts. "Oh, yes," She gave a little sigh.
"A werewolf pretended to be my friend once. I had to chase her away with fire.
It was horible, I must of cried for a week."

The redhead leaned in quickly and gave the changeling a peck on the cheek.
"A deal, then. I won't turn into a monster if you won't, okay?"

Asked again what she'd been doing, the redhead took a step back, glanced at the setting sun, and gave a contented sigh. “I was just soaking up some Sun. It feels really good, you know? Misha Willow taught me how to do it last year. Those last golden rays felt so nice... Oh,” she turned to face the newcomer. “Good evening there. How do you do?” she greeted him in common.

The redhead repeated that when another man arrived a moment later, cheeks taking on a pleased heat when she realized where his eyes had roamed. “I'm Aramina Honeywine. This is my friend Balthana.”

2ef69c0da1f43d780aca1f528c45abb6.jpg

Baltana

She looked at the newcomers with unhidden suspicion "hmph" she snorted "caution Aramina they could be bandits or worse" turning to the newcomers "and that being the case ye might want to move on - ya will find I have little patients for trouble on the road" fixing Balenor with a glare "or cackling madmen for that matter".

Three would be a challange but they didn't seem overly armoured - which might be misleading - still at least one would likely regret starting an attack on them.

Well that is good to hear. Since the lady does not like trouble on the road then the five of us should be more than capable of ensuring we find none. Though this night is going to be hungry. Malice is in the air and the scent of blood will most certainly reach all of us if we do not find shelter soon.

The tall elf cackles (very much as a hag would) at this. While he is not letting his guard down for a second around these people, he hopes to solve that problem of being a lone traveler at night.

And I am not mad I am a merchant with a propensity for certain magic... Ever hear there is magic in laughter dear? Well, perhaps not everyone's but mine can sustain certain abilities I have indefinitely.

Nolymae stepped forward to meet the men who emerged from Honeytown's gates, her hands resting at ease at her sides. Although she wore an elegant and finely crafted sword at her hip, her overall appearance was hardly that of a dangerous swordswoman. The sword's silvery pommel was expertly fashioned after the head of a female unicorn, similar in style to the holy symbol of Lurue which hung at her breast.

The young priestess glanced to her side in surprise as the other woman came up beside her. She hadn't noticed any other travelers behind her on the road. "It is as she says," Nolymae added, with an earnest nod, "we are no bandits, but simple travelers. I had hoped to arrive here well before nightfall, but I'm new to these lands and do not know these roads. If you would but take us in for the night, I would be happy to repay you for the trouble, whether with precious gems, or with such services as a priestess of the Unicorn Queen may provide." She patted a small pouch that hung at her waist, and bounced it gently in her fingers, causing the various small gemstones within to clack softly together.

Narunir

"I'm no bandit!" Narunir exclaims, surprised that anyone could think him a criminal just by looking at him. Was it his smile? Or was his aunt right when she said he looked like a delinquent? "it's good to meet you Aramina and Balthana, I hope you're both doing well this evening." Those listening to Narunir speak could probably tell that he was used to speaking rather formally, the years of being taught respect having had an effect on him.

2ef69c0da1f43d780aca1f528c45abb6.jpg

Baltana

Her fist formed a tight ball as she wanted to shut up the creature - she had heard laughter like that before and she could easilly imagine a hag noting a gathering and deciding to prey on it, still she had no proof he might be a simple idiot wandering around at night and acting suspiciously because he thought it was fun, killing people for being annoying was not something she wanted to go down for herself.

"I don't care about whatever vile tricks you might have" this was something of a lie of course but she was a good liar "I care that you are acting either suspiciously on a night that has pleanty of suspicion to go round like a hag or witch or other beastie, so stop it" gritting her teeth as she tried to be cordial "please" however she did it the word managed to sound threatening. Ideally if he taged along the next town could deal with him.

Turning to the other man she noted his half-elven features - like her fathers if her adopted mother was correct - he didn't really look like a bandit alright "ya might not be - but that doesn't mean your not troublesome or in league with dark powers".

Alyx recalled that cackling quite well before. Turning to look at a familiar face, he gave something of a small, polite smile. “Been a while, Balenor.” The craftsman knew Alyx, and that the maenad was no thief or brigand – a far more honorable sort. “Seems we’ve found eachother in good spirits tonight. Though we also have some unusual strangers here now as well.” His eyes briefly pivoted from person to person. “I’m Alyx, a traveler. It’s nice to meet you all, though the night seems quite auspicious.”

Abigail Marteau

A horse is not he quietest thing to be riding along a road, with the sound of hooves on stone being quite unsubtle. Over this, however, Abigail could hear several boices raised in consternation up ahead. One shouting, others talking normally.

Her curiosity peaked at the exchanges, Abigail's brow furrowed. Few wnough would be out on the roads, so they were likely either travellers, traders... or less savory characters.

As much as she would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, Abigail always took reasonable precautions. Loosening the scabbard for her greatsword and keeping her right hand free to reach up for it, she continued around the bend to spy a motley gathering of characters. She was less happy at the sight - three men, gathered around and eyes flickering over a voluptuous and barely-clad woman, another scrawnier girl standing with an angry expression and arms folded nearby. The sounds of an ox-cart were beginning to echo from the road behind her, as well.

Her horse approaching, Abigail called out in a cautious greeting - not too loud, of course.
"Hail, travellers. Are you also heading towards Honeyton?"

Turning to the approaching horse and woman hailing from it, the darker skinned man gave a quiet nod. "Yes, i'm headed there. I'd probably hazard a guess most of us are, we seem to be on the same road afterall." Giving a wave to her, he stepped partially away from the others, mostly to give them and himself some space. "Though I should have thought about buying a horse, walking has certainly proved to have its fair share of troubles and delays."

Abigail Marteau

"Well, I'm pretty sure I could manage to give you a ride, and I'd be delighted to help a fellow traveller, but that would leave the others all alone, wouldn't it? And I could never leave a group to fend for themselves like that, not with night closing in so fast."

Abigails arms sweeps out to encompass the others, still wrapped up in their own conversation. A moments thought, with one hand brought up to her helmet, and she carefully dismounts from the heights of her horse, stroking its mane and whispering "Thank you, Barry." into its ear before turning back to give her attention to the group. That the movement serves to show her greatsword to them is not an unintended consequence - can't be too sure, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom