Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

PM Search Feature Currently Disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
Just a quick announcement to alleviate the slight panic I'm seeing...the search feature for PMs has been recently turned off. Not sure if/when it will be turned back on. However, someone will update as needed. Thanks for your patience and so sorry about the inconvenience. Also, so sorry that this was not announced before it occurred.

Best,
DA.

darkangel76 said:
Just a quick announcement to alleviate the slight panic I'm seeing...the search feature for PMs has been recently turned off. Not sure if/when it will be turned back on. However, someone will update as needed. Thanks for your patience and so sorry about the inconvenience. Also, so sorry that this was not announced before it occurred.

Best,
DA.

Awwwww :( I really hope it gets turned back on. I really enjoy re-reading my old rps but it's near impossible if I can't search the rp with the person to have all the replies together.

One person with one search nearly took the server down.

There's no 'fair' way to address this at the moment.

Vekseid said:

I understand that but isn't there a way to punish that one person without having to shut down the entire search option? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but in my eyes, that's more unfair to the rest of us than it would be to just give that one person a warning or temporary ban if it was indeed only one person who misused it...

katisacat said:
Vekseid said:

I understand that but isn't there a way to punish that one person without having to shut down the entire search option? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but in my eyes, that's more unfair to the rest of us than it would be to just give that one person a warning or temporary ban if it was indeed only one person who misused it...

I believe the problem is that problem exists and could be a problem with others too, even if it is not malicious. Since the number of PM messages we have is unbounded (and I am guilty of that) searching in each and every one of them becomes increasingly intensive.

I wonder if it is possible to limit it to "meta" data like sender and such, right now i am having hard time finding stuff sent to me by specific people, but i understand safety of the site, ease of maintenance and cost are always going to have to come before my desire to find any given message.

I downloaded all of my PMs just now to an HTML file and deleted them. I hope every little bit helps. :)

megyn said:
Good idea i am doing the same. its easy enough it seems

Right? :) And I don't even know what HTML stands for but I know my browser can read it and I can search that way PLUS reduce load on the BMR servers.

AnnaBeth said:
I downloaded all of my PMs just now to an HTML file and deleted them. I hope every little bit helps. :)

That's a good idea. How do you download those messages? Is there a way you can copy them to like... a google doc? (I don't have my own computer so... :p)

I'm not gonna lie, having the search function is helpful but if one person almost killed the server with a search then I feel it should probably stay off as a safety precaution. Just my opinion and I'll gladly take the heat for it but I'm just adding my two cents.

katisacat said:
That's a good idea. How do you download those messages? Is there a way you can copy them to like... a google doc? (I don't have my own computer so... :p)

Click on Private Messages like you were going to read them.

Right under the ad artwork is a line of menu options:

Inbox | Compose Message | Manage Folders | Empty Folders | Download Messages

Click on Download Messages

I selected All Folders
Messages older than 0 days (so I'd get all of them)
Export Unread Yes
Delete Exported Messages Yes
Choose whichever file format you like (I used HTML because I know a browser can open it)

Then click the button! Be patient and good luck. :)

I like that it took my PMs off the server and hopefully helped with the load on it, whatever that looks like.

AnnaBeth said:
katisacat said:

I selected All Folders
Export Unread Yes
Choose whichever file format you like (I used HTML because I know a browser can open it)

I like that it took my PMs off the server and hopefully helped with the load on it, whatever that looks like.

Tank yew!

Vekseid said:

Sounds like a query on a non-indexed (text?) column, those can be brutal.

Is it possible to restrict the types of searches available instead of prohibiting them altogether?

katisacat said:
AnnaBeth said:
katisacat said:

I selected All Folders
Export Unread Yes

Tank yew!

Weird, it's not letting me.

katisacat said:
katisacat said:
AnnaBeth said:

I selected All Folders
Export Unread Yes

Tank yew!

So when I tried to do it I got some strange SQL errors that i didn't understand. so I assumed it was telling me I had too many to process

So I just kept limiting it more and more . I increased the number of OLDER THAN days until it was getting a couple of thousand at a time or so , and then it worked. I made multiple exports from there, each about the same size based on a guestimate

megyn said:
katisacat said:
katisacat said:
Tank yew!

So when I tried to do it I got some strange SQL errors that i didn't understand. so I assumed it was telling me I had too many to process

So I just kept limiting it more and more . I increased the number of OLDER THAN days until it was getting a couple of thousand at a time or so , and then it worked. I made multiple exports from there, each about the same size based on a guestimate

ok, tanks :3

katisacat said:
megyn said:
katisacat said:

ok, tanks :3

:/ I can't get it to work for me. It downloads all the messages so I have to scroll through dozens of duplicates because it will only let me download every reply when I just want to have the ones that are all the replies of that portion before the previous messages got cut down, I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but it's just a lot of duplicate messages to scroll through to try and save and it takes up a lot of space. If I could search through my pms I could get just the replies I want and save them... This is really frustrating :'(

I'm sorry to be a bother but it's been getting very difficult in many ways to be unable to search Pms... iz it possible to have it turned back on yet?

The easiest way to search your pms now that the search function is disabled would be to do a browser search for the name of the rp or the name of the person with whom you rp. You do have to go page by page with the search as it only searches the current page but it is a relatively helpful work-around until the search function is restored (if it is restored).

EDIT: The shortcut key for a browser search for those that don't know it is 'Control + F'. For most standard browsers on a PC.

I would like to reiterate that even if we can't have search in pm anymore, having SOME WAY to find all the messages you have with one person together without having to sift through all your PMs would be very much appreciated. I, as well as others on this site, still find this lack in ability to easily find old PMs very frustrating.

Only recommendation I can think of: use PM folders :B

I know that doesn't really help you right now, you'd still have to search through all your PMs manually for the things you are trying to find presently, but automatically stuffing PMs from certain people into folders would help in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom