Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Star Wars: The Eclipse before the Dawn (Corsair and Xana)

Xanaphia

Union Smut Peddler
Seven years earlier.

Star Wars:
The Eclipse before the Dawn

Shadows Jedi Knight Kaydia Voss-Hall and Jedi Master Quentin Hall have uncovered a vast separatist conspiracy, spearheaded by the extremist and former Jedi, Count Dooku.
Tensions grow between the Republic and the Seperatists, as more and more planets join the movement, often as a result of economic pressure as much as shared ideology.
War seems inevitable as both sides are unable to come to an accordance.
Still, the Jedi Shadows pursue answers, on the eve of war:
Who benefits from war between the Republic and the Seperatists?
And what does this have to do with the resurgence of the Sith?

Coruscant, 23 BBY

“Room for one more?”

Kaydia had been in the shower, with all intentions of getting clean, so she could prepare for tonight’s assignment. But the sight of her husband, her Quentin, nude with hard cock in hand chased away all other considerations. So, it wasn’t surprising that she turned to him, smirking, appreciating how good he looked, how fucking good he always looked. “It will be a tight squeeze. But, you always manage to make it fit, don’t you?”

Then she was wrapped around him, arms around his shoulders, legs around his hips, smooth, slick muscles swallowing his length. Their bodies moving against and with each other’s, the mutual pleasure driving them both.

“I want to feel your cum in me, while we attend this party,” Kaydia moaned, tightening her legs around his waist. It was a true statement, certainly, but it wasn’t what she wanted to say. It wasn’t the thought on her mind, the thought that had been on her mind more and more lately. I want to have a baby. I want to have your child.

She wasn’t trying hard to hide the recurring thought, which had started as slight pleasant fantasies and grew into a stronger and stronger desire. So, it was possible, even likely, that he knew already. They hadn’t had a real conversation about it, because it had been a touchy subject for a while. Especially after discovering what Aldane’s plans for Linora and her had been. She hoped he might bring it up, that he might just outright tell her how he felt about the idea, without her having to broach the subject. It was one of the benefits of their force bond, wasn’t it?

"The tight squeeze is the best part," Quentin smirked, feeling water spray over him as he pushed into the shower with Kaydia. Her sleek body slipped against his as he kissed her, his hands running down her bare back slowly. Her leg slid over his, her body inviting him as she pressed against him. Muscles in his back and arms rippled as he lifted her, and he gasped aloud as he pressed her back against the wall and thrust deep into her.

"I want to feel your cum in me," she moaned, tightening her legs around his hips, "while we attend this party."

Seven years they'd been lovers, nearly five of them married, and every day was better and sweeter than the on before. Oh, sure, they'd had theur fights and quarrels - what couple didn't? But life with her was nearly perfect. "I think," Quentin gasped against her lips as he drove his length into her, "that I can arrange that." He kissed her, then bit lightly at her throat. "Maybe... I should mark you..?" he moaned, catching her xkin with his lips. "Let everyone see how much you're mine?"

He came with a gutteral cry, hips bucking against hers as his pleasure flooded her. When he was spent he cradled her in his arms, kissing her gently and unwilling to let her go. "When this is over," he gasped, "this investigation, I mean. Let's... slow down for a while." He kissed her again, smiling. "Teach for a while, and... maybe have a child of our own."

“If you want that,” She started, trying to hold back how giddy his suggestion made. Trying and failing, as a big, stupid grin took over her face and she plastered him with joyous kisses, “Because I want that more than I can begin to say.” It was hard to pull away from Quentin now. Now when she wanted nothing more than to bask in the afterglow of his suggestion, and maybe squeeze in another attempt at conception. But there was still the mission tonight to consider. Still, she filled the time spent getting ready with conversation.

“Master Yoda asked me if I wanted to take over as curator of the forbidden archives, especially after that mission on Malachor,” she offered, patting herself dry. She had already begun analyzing and cataloguing the numerous Sith Holochrons they had retrieved from the ruins of the Trayus Academy.

“And there are treatises I’ve been wanting to write,” she explained, picking out her dress for the evening. “I am not sure how the council would feel about me putting out the details of our force bond out into world, but there is knowledge to be gained from it, and knowledge is power.” She was quiet for a moment as she picked out a pair of shoes. Devoting herself back to the Jedi teaching of her youth had been rewarding, but she did still enjoy wearing a fine dress and a nice pair of shoes. It was necessary for the kind of work they did, when they had to infiltrate the gatherings of the wealthy elite, as Sith were attracted to the power that money could provide as much as anyone else. Why shouldn’t she enjoy her work? “Maybe it too will have to go into the forbidden archives.”

“And, well, having a baby has been on my mind quite a bit lately, but you probably knew that, didn’t you?” she confessed as she put on her make-up and styled her hair. “Do you think Master Valis would appreciate it if we named the child for him? Because I like Korrin for a boy. For a girl, I can’t decide between Mara or Jade. Do you have any ideas?”

Turning, she could see he was choosing between a couple ties and she got up to help him, “We could tell everyone we are trying to conceive. As part of our cover story, of course,” She mentioned, selecting a bronze tie that very nearly matched her dress. “It makes sense, after all, if I am to play the trophy wife to your financial whiz. I’d be trying to get pregnant to get my hooks in you, and your vast fortune. And we can discuss our concerns about starting a family in the wake of war with the Separatists with Senator Corralis. You know, since we are donating a substantial contribution to his reelection campaign.” She smiled big, unable to resist planting a big kiss on his lip, unwilling to pull away as it grew deeper. Still smiling big as she stopped to breathe, nuzzling his face with hers, “Or we can keep this to ourselves. Our little secret, for now.”

"I suspect the Council would approve of you writing that treatise," Quentin said, pulling on a grey and black button-down shirt. "And then they'd consign it to the Forbidden Archives, for review by Masters and Knights who have a need to know such things and permission of the Council." He chuckled as he realized Kaydia had come to the exact same conclusion. "Great minds think alike, it seems."

“And, well, having a baby has been on my mind quite a bit lately, but you probably knew that, didn’t you?” she confessed as she put on her make-up and styled her hair.

"I noticed, yes," he replied dryly, donning his coat. "You've been thinking a lot about the subject, and loudly." He smiled at her in the mirror, running his hands over her silk-sheathed flanks and kissing the back of her neck. "But, in fairness, I have too."

“Do you think Master Valis would appreciate it if we named the child for him? Because I like Korrin for a boy. For a girl, I can’t decide between Mara or Jade. Do you have any ideas?”

"Valis Korrin Hall-Voss?" He tired the name on for size. "I suspect Master Valis would be delighted, if a bit baffled. Axotls don't worry about parentage. The entire community raises the children, so the concept of naming a child for a specific individual is odd to him. But I'm sure he'd understand the gesture. And Mara..." He considered it. "Why not both? Mara Jade Hall-Voss has a ring to it, doesn't it?"

Satisfied with her own preparations, she turned to fussing over his as she chattered happily about how they could work their plans into their cover for the evening. That ended with a kiss that deepened deliciously, ending with a happy nuzzle against his cheek. “Or we can keep this to ourselves. Our little secret, for now.”

"It seems reasonable to talk about," Quentin mused aloud, kissing her back. "As my gold-digging trophy wife, you'd clearly be looking for some reason for me to stay with you. After all, what if some gorgeous redheaded Jedi came by and turned my head?" He pushed her back, pressing her into the wall as he kissed her again. His hands bunched in her dress, slowly gathering it up around her hips. "Maybe you should fuck me right now, in this dress," he said, biting at her lip and down her bare throat. "After all, there might not be a convenient elevator at the party..."

“Maybe I should,” Kaydia giggled, grinding her hips against his, and his growing hard on. “I better get to my wifely duty, otherwise I might lose you to this mysterious redheaded Jedi.”

She knew she should have said no. They had a duty to attend to, and that was supposed to come before love or pleasure. But there was no way she could have said to his request. Not now, with babies on the mind. Not now, when she felt so in love with him, and felt his love in return.

So, she pushed him back, letting him fall against the couch. Tugging at his pants with a primal hunger for her lover, her husband, her man. A primal hunger to conceive a child with him. Letting him bunch up her skirt until creamy white thighs were exposed, and then balanced on either side of him. Submerging him in her needy sex, gasping in relief as she sheathed his length.

“Cum in me, love,” She moaned, guiding his hands to hold her hips. Desperate kisses followed, feeling closer to him now than ever before. A connection that went deeper than the physical, the mental or the emotional. Everything, all at once. “Please. I want to get pregnant, I want to carry your child, Quentin. Please love, impregnate me.” She begged, knowing her husband could hardly resist her pleas, “I want it. I need it. Please.”

Their impromptu lovemaking had made them late to the fundraising party, but not by much, so Kaydia viewed it as well worth it. And she smiled contently at the feel of his seed, still warm inside her as they arrived. Did she smell of him? Did she care? They were finally getting a chance to pretend to be husband and wife, why shouldn’t get to show the world how much she loved Quentin?

Her arm was hooked into Quentin’s as they made their way around the ballroom, making small talk with the other guests and playful little inside jokes in their own minds. When the Senator was free, they took a moment to meet with him, introduced by the protocol droid that assisted him, “Mr. Westin Armaia, and Mrs. Vynne Armaia.”

“Senator Corralis, it is a pleasure to meet you in person,” Kaydia cooed, offering her hand to shake. Instead he took the fingers and brought them to his lips.

“You seem quite familiar, Mrs. Armaia, Are you quite sure we haven’t met before?” The Senator questioned, eyes roaming her figure. Fantasies of what she looked like under the dress seeped from his mind, and Kaydia tried not to let the disgust show on her features.

“I’d remember if I met a Senator, especially one as prominent as yourself,” Kaydia assured him, faking charm.

“I know I’ve seen you somewhere. Are you an actress, perhaps? Or a model?” He continued, determined to solve the mystery of her familiar face.

“Darling, did you know the senator was such a shameless flatterer?” She teased, leaning into Quentin as she felt rather appraised by Corralis. “Nothing of the sort, I am afraid. My husband here is just a whiz in the market, stocks and futures, and that’s where we built our fortune.”

Quentin's arm slipped protectively around Kaydia's waist as she leaned into him. Not that she needed it, mind - she was certainly capable of taking care of herself. But he could taste her dislike of and her discomfort around Senator Coralis, and even without the Force he would have recognized the man's interest in his wife. Far more interest than the sort a gorgrous redhead in a daring gown would generate. And while Quentin knew that determining the extent if the Senator's ties to the Seperatists and Count Dooku was vital, and that Kaydia shiwing some skin to distract him and get him to lower his guard was part of it, thst didn't mean he had to enjoy it. Not when she didn't.

"Vynne is too modest," he said, not having to act to give the body language of a jealous spouse. "She serves as the public relations manager for our little company, so she's been in a number of interviews and press cinferences." He smiled, just a little. "I've never been much for publuc speaking myself, I'm afraid."

The Senator nodded at that, akthough his expression remained dubious. "Yes, perhaps that's it..." he saud slowly. "I do watch rather a lot of financial and political news - comes with the office, I'm afraid. Still," his eyes were fixed in Kaydia's ckeavage rather than her face, "I can't help but think I've seen you in another cintext."

"It's a big galaxy," Quentin assured him. "And while I feel my Vynne is the most wonderous and delightsome of them all, there are any number of beautiful redheads to be seen. Perhaps you are misremembering..?" He kept a smile plastered in his face as his thoughts touched Kaydiia's. If this buffoon doesn't let this drop...

"Yes, that must be it," the Senator agreed, still sounding unconvinced. "Are you enjiying the party?"

"Certainly, and for wonderful cause," Quentin said, relieved. "We need more Senators, willing to take the unpopular stand and call fir a diplomatic resolution to the war." He paused for effect. "And, although I wouldn't keep you from your other guests, perhaps we may soeak privately later? About other assistance Ican offer your campaign?"

“Why yes, we can speak again on the subject. Look for me after dinner, I’ll be sure to make time for you,” Corralis insisted, squeezing Kaydia’s bare shoulder as he spoke with Quentin. She could feel him taking one more lingering look at her body before turning to greet the next group of guests.

Kaydia grabbed a glass of champagne from a nearby waiter, downing half of it to wash away the feel of the senator leering at her. If things went well with Quentin, she’d have to give it up soon, so she was going to indulge tonight. I wish this creep did have an elevator we could use. Let him see exact why I am here on your arm tonight.

She sighed. Perhaps they could use his obvious, if disturbing, attraction to her to their benefit. It didn’t have to lead anything. Just an evening enduring his leers and perverse thoughts, and hopefully they’d be a step close to discovering the puppet master at the center of the conspiracy. What was her discomfort against the sanctity of the republic? Besides, Quentin’s arm around her waist felt nice, and he’d definitely make it up to her at the end of the evening. Even if it were just him laying back while she drained more of his seed in order to ensure pregnancy. A thought she let drift towards his mind, their newest endeavor making her voracious in appetite for him. “Shall we dance?”

If there is a next time on a mission like this, you get to play the eye candy creep bait, she teased, wrapping her arm around his shoulder in a rather traditional stance. The Orchestra started a new song, stuffy and formal, but it was an excuse to be close to him. Do we really think my cleavage will be enough to get him to confess to anything?

Quentin sniggered at his wife's comment, even as the accompanying images made him suddenly and uncomfortably hard. I rather enjoy an audience, from time to time. But, somehow, I think the Senator's zttentions would be... unpleasant.

He plucked a flute of champagne from a tray that drufted past and sipped it, taking more time to enjoy it than Kaydia had. Nit that he blamed her for downing it all. This mission wasn't the first where one of them had used their appearance to distract a target, and upon occassion the distraction had called for them to seduce the target. He sincerely hoped that this wouldn't be one of those.

"Shall we dance?" Kaydia asked.

"By all means," he smiled, taking hervarm and escirting her to the floor. The music was a traditional waltz, something he could have danced in his sleep. It was made far more entertaining by the way Kadia nestked into his arms and moved with him, turning the waltz into a delicious promise for later. At her question he made a show of glancing downwards, tracing the bare flesh of her upper breasts with his eyes. My love, he replied with a smile, you're fishing for compliments. But yes, I think it will be enough. Your magnificent breasts could persuade a man to firget his sultry Jedi temptress, and a Jedi to defy the council. What hope would a mere Senator have?

The song ended, and another began. The new one was a faster tempo, sending them spinning and sweeping across the floor in a swirl of skirts. As they danced he coukd see more than one of their fellow guests watching with envious eyes, expressions that thrilled him to the core. Let them be jealous. Kaydia was nis!

Both of them were breathing just a little hard when the second dance ended, and the inhalations did delightful things to Kaydia's ckeavage. "Shall we find a drink?" he asked. "Or would you prefer to step outside for a breath of fresh air?" He leered, just a little. "Perhaps we would need to take an elevator to do so?"

Kaydia felt eyes on her, more than she would have expected. More than she had been used to, in quite a while. Eyes that made her feel self-conscious and anxious. She wasn’t the most beautiful woman here, she knew. She had counted five others who fit that title better than she, including a dark skinned human woman she would have considered inviting to their bed, if she weren’t so keen on keeping Quentin to herself as of late. Still, they stared. Not a lot, she realized as she paid attention. A small handful of men, seeming to continually appraise her as the senator had.

While she might have been in their gaze, and on their minds, she was in Quentin’s arms, and that shielded her from the worst of the lecherous leers. She made efforts to incite their envy, brushing her body against Quentin’s more than was necessary, and tickling his jaw and cheek with light kisses. She was Quentin’s, all Quentin’s tonight.

"Shall we find a drink?" he asked. "Or would you prefer to step outside for a breath of fresh air?" He leered, just a little. "Perhaps we would need to take an elevator to do so?"

She chuckled, still giddy and still leaning against him. I say we find that asshole’s room, and fuck hard on his bed. I imagine it would be the first time a woman has actually gotten off in there. But for the sake of appearances her eyes cast about the ball room, “A drink would be lovely.” Leaving him with a light, chaste kiss that promised so much more, they parted ways to seek out another drink. And maybe some appetizers. There were some braised scallops that smelled just delightful.

“I know where I’ve seen you before.”

She was alone as she arrived at the refreshments table, placing a couple morsels on a fine crystal plate. Caught unaware with a scallop in her mouth as words came from behind her, seeming to drift over her skin. Corralis’ body brushed against her back, his breath hot on her shoulders.

“Oh?” She replied, coughing as she forced herself to swallow her mouthful.

“Yes, and I understand now why you were so coy about it. Not that you have anything to be ashamed of my dear,” his hand ghosted over her arm. Kaydia’s heart pounded, as she tried to figure out what he was referring to, sudden anxiety that he meant the life she lived as Scarlet. “Your holo-vid is one of my favorites. I think I’ve watched it a hundred times, utterly entranced with your performance. You make it all seem so real.”

The Telerath holovid, she realized, releasing a held breath. She’d never escape that, would she? Still, it wasn’t the worst thing he could discover about her, and she laughed in relief. “You caught me. It’s not exactly the sort of thing you bring up in polite company, now is it?”

“Perhaps, but it’s a rare opportunity for me, and I’d be remiss to pass it up. I’d love to host a private viewing party, with you as the guest of honor,” He suggested. Kaydia bit her lip. The knowledge that her and Quentin’s lovemaking had spread so far and wide was exciting, in abstract. In reality, it was different, somehow. Coming face to face with a man who had seen every inch of her skin, without her knowledge or consent was disturbing. And a private party, to celebrate it? It felt crass.

And yet it was also an opportunity to snoop in his private chambers, and possibly even access his personal data servers. All she had to do was smile and play along, and Quentin wouldn’t ever be too far away. “I suppose it would be rude to deny my fans, wouldn’t it?” she teased, hoping to lead him on just enough to put off suspicion.

“Splendid, just splendid,” the senator smiled victoriously, touching her bare shoulder again. “It is a prime opportunity to meet with your husband as well, to discuss his concerns privately. I am quite sure we can all come together, to help each other out.” There was more hidden beneath those words, a spike of lust from the senator as he overlaid what he had seen of her body on her presence before him. She kept her revulsion off her features, but there was no denying the relief that lit her face as Quentin came up with a pair of flutes in hand. Corralis flashed him the same sly smile and left again, presuming to give her a chance to relay the plan to her husband.

He’s seen our holovid, it seems. From Telerath. Thinks me a porn star.
She filled him in, gleefully accepting the champagne. Wrapping her arm around his shoulder, she wondered how many of the insistent stares were other “fans” of theirs. He wants to host a private viewing party. Seems like the sort of thing we could use to our advantage, doesn’t it?

Quentin's eyes went wide in shock at her statement, and it was only a lifetime of discipline that kept him from dropping his champagne. Shit! was his first coherent thought, followed by He recognized you? His eyes darted around the room in an unonscious fight-or-flight reflex, and it took an act of will to force himself to remain calm.

This isn't good, love, he continued, sipping his drink and smiling. We're looking into a Seperatist sympathizer, and he's seen us from Telerath? What if he's seen the other Telerath footage? Footage of an acrobatic lightsaber duel, captured by security cameras as the duelists lept from speeder to speeder. Our cover could be blown, even if he hasn't, because it'll raise questions. Like, how is it a wealthy businesswoman and her head if security are now a wealthy investor and his trophy wife?

He was acutely aware, now, of the weight of the two lightsabers strapped to his back. And of the other lethal toys that he wore. How long would it be, he wondered, before he had to use them?

Sipping his drink, he forced himself to relax more. But then, if he thought we were Jedi, well... He shrugged. Should we scrub the mission now and get the hell out of here? Or am I being paranoid?

Calm down. I can guarantee he isn’t thinking that hard about it. The Telerath vid doesn’t introduce me as a wealthy CEO, remember? Just a woman getting thrown on a table and fucked. So, now it’s part of our cover story. We met there, on Telerath. You, acquiring the capital to start your business, and I was there husband shopping. He certainly doesn’t think we are Jedi, and I doubt he thinks of anything past how long it takes him to get off.

By now they were being called for dinner, all the guests streaming into the dining hall to sit at their assigned seats. Kaydia clung to Quentin’s arm, keeping a pleased smile on her face as they moved through the crowd, and as she tried to assuage Quentin’s fears. If you really want to pull out now, we can, but we aren’t going to get another chance to investigate him. Certainly not like this, with him inviting us into his private office. Sex makes people stupid, love, and all that man could think about when he approached me was how I looked naked.

They arrived at their table, finding an older Twilek couple already seated there. “Vynne Armaia, and my husband, Westin,” She greeted, shaking their hands and nudging Quentin to do the same.

“Nij'buli, and my mate, Ulor’buli,” The male introduced, as Quentin pulled her chair for her, “All this clamor about war with the separatists is just dreadful, isn’t it? Bad for business.”

Not if you’re selling weapons or ships, “I had heard war was good for the economy. Or is that just a lie the war hawks tell us to get popular approval for their wars?”

“It’s certainly not good if you rely on cheap labor from the outer rim, like I do. I do hope the good senator can continue to pursue diplomatic avenues in regards to the Separatist’s demands.” Nij continued, as plates of cream covered noodles and braised kommerek steak were served.

“No disagreements there, Nij. War is distasteful, if Senator’s Corralis’ leadership will help us avoid it, I say we throw our support behind him.” Kaydia agreed, twirling noodles on her fork.

You’re the master here, love. If you think it’s too risky, let’s make an excuse to leave after dinner. But you have to admit, we’ve gotten ourselves out of messy situations before.

Quentin thought hard, remembering as Kaydia's thoughts whispered in his mind and they took their seats. They'd watched that recording more than once, several times because if this very possibility and more frequently for personal enjoyment. And she was right - first names had been used, but it could easily have been a high-end porn shoot. And he'd been in disguis with his hair dyed blonde and his eyes altered to be blue, and his tattoos hidden by a pigment treatment. The odds were that he woukdn't be recignized, and that they'd just.assume his "trophy wife" was a high-end pornographuc actress who made good.

I don't like it, he repeated, taking his seat. But you're right. We'll just need to be watchful, is all.

She made small talk with the Twi'leks seated at their table as he studied the room. "I agree," he added, slicing off a bit of steak and swiping it through the cream sauce. "So much of thiscwar stems from Chancellor Valorum's mishandling if the Naboo situation. As I understand it, it was his decision to involve the Jedi that sparked the dissatusfaction of the Trade Federation and the Commerce Guild." A convenient fiction that had been seized on by the Seperatists, but it would serve here.

"Of course!" Nij'bull's lekku writhed in agreement. "Valorum was twisted around the fingers of those religious fanatics, and look what happened!"

"Isn't that a little harsh, dear?" Ulor'buli asked. "The Jedi are defenders of the Republic..."

"Hah?" Nij'bull snorted laughter. "They invaded Geonosis with an illegal army, lighting the match that began this war. And now they take to the front lines with hordes of clones. The only decent ones leftvare Kenobi and Dooku, trying to bring an end to this fiasco!"

"Well," Quentin said carefully, "maybe if the Senatir's coalition gets a majority seat, we can bring an end to this war. Bring them to the table and settle things without further bloodshed."

“Oh all this talk of war is unpleasant,” Ulor’buli complained, sipping at her wine, “I know this is all politics, but surely we can find a more agreeable topic. Vynne, dear, do you two have any children?”

Kaydia laughed, dragging her fork through her food wistfully, “Not yet, but we are hoping to, soon.” She reached for Quentin’s hand, taking the opportunity to scan the dining room. She met a couple pairs of eyes as she glanced about, but nothing felt sinister. Sensing her companion’s expectations, she turned the question back at her. “Do you have children?”

Clearly looking for the opportunity to brag, Ulor beamed. Middle age did little to mask her good looks, and she had a lovely lithe figure, shown off in her form fitting dress, “Two daughters. The youngest, Seralaa is in school, training in business, like her father. Our oldest, Kaala takes after me, a dancer. She is actually the current Prima Ballerina for the Estiche company, in their run of Under the Green Sun.” She pulled out her personal datapad and showed off several holograms of the young woman, clad in a number of fantastic outfits, and even a short clip of her signature dance.

“She looks just like you. You two must be so proud, and I’ve heard good things about that show,” Kaydia congratulated, finishing off her glass of wine.

“Oh, you have to see it! And not just because my daughter’s in it, even if she really is the best part,” Ulor gushed, “get me your contact informant before the night is over, and I’ll get you a pair of tickets.”

At that point all attention was turned to the stage, where Senator Corralis had come up to give a speech. Taking the donors for their generosity and confidence in his vision. Outlining his platform as a friend to business and his opposition to ongoing war with the Separatists. Once his speech was over and dinner was finished, a servant droid approached them. “Senator Corralis invites you both to the private study on the third floor. I am to escort you there, and the senator will meet with you shortly.”

Following the droid through the security protocols was far easier than it would have been to bypass on their skils alone, but from she could tell, it would have been quite doable. After all, they had broken into the central bank on Telerath. Who else in the galaxy could hope to keep them out?

There were three other couples up there, as well as a handful of single men. Wealthy elites, the lot of them, ranging from around their age to far older. There was a small amount of cheers and whistles as she entered with Quentin, and a palpable sense of lust permeating the study. She blushed a little from the attention, keeping her arm looped into Quentin’s.

“Vynne, settle something for us. Is the video real or fake?”

“You think I’d fake something like that?” She asked, appalled. After a moment of observing the shocked looks on their faces, she laughed, “I am quite talented, as it turns out.” Playing off the holovid as a purposeful work of fiction was their best shot. High end porn actress was a mask with considerable benefits, right now.

“Well, surely some parts of it were real, yes?”

“There wasn’t much editing, if that is what you mean, but everything was scripted to be spontaneous.”

“Westin,” Corralis called, as he joined the gathering, “I do believe you want to speak to me alone? Join me in the library, and we can discuss your concerns.”

Quentin did not like the attention Kaydia was getting. Oh, to be sure there were times where he utterly loved the way men and women drooled over her. He'd even shared her with some of them, enjoying the mutual lust and attraction. But, not this. There was a predatory hunger in the air, a lust that reeked of the dark side. She was just a thing to them, something to be owned and used and cast aside. The salacious reactions they had to her entrance, and to the answers to her questions, confirmed that.

“Westin,” Corralis called, as he joined the gathering, “I do believe you want to speak to me alone? Join me in the library, and we can discuss your concerns.”

He hesitated, just for a moment. If Kaydia wasn't a Jedi, he'd never leave her alone with this crowd. It was too ugly. Even as a Jedi, he was reluctant. She could handle herself, he knew that. But he was her husband, and it was hard not to think in terms of protecting her. But he had a job to do, and the library wasn't that far. And besides, the first person in the room to try something out of hand would quickly learn to regret it. She might not be Scarlet anymore, but the skills she'd learned as a Black Sun assassin were still there.

"Of course, Senator. I'd be delighted." Pausing to kiss Kaydia in a distinctly possessive way, one that drew more whistles and cheers from the audience, he followed. Be careful, love.

The Senator's library was a showpiece, more of a museum than anything else. Bound books sat next to scroll cases, and there were even carved tablets of stone or precious metals on the walls. Subtle, alien sculptures sat on plinths along the wall, and a portrait of the Senator and his family dominated one wall. Senator Coralis crossed to a sideboard and poured himself a drink. "Want one?" he offered.

"Certainly," Quentin agreed, not really wanting one at all but aware he had a role to fill. He accepted the cup and sipped, feeling the alcohol burn down his throat. "How may I be of assistance, Senator? Both to your reelection campaign, and after?"

The kiss was unexpected, but welcome. It certainly worked to shore up their cover identities and keep any concerns that they were Jedi far from anyone’s mind. Jedi didn’t marry. Jedi certainly didn’t marry porn stars. And Jedi definitely didn’t kiss their porn star wife in a possessive manner in front of a crowd as an attempt to dissuade the interest of others. Attachment, after all, was forbidden. But Kaydia suspected that reinforcing their covers wasn’t Quentin’s intention. She could feel the concern in his mind, in his touch, carried by the words he left with her. It was just like him, protective of her, without ever questioning her own abilities.

"How may I be of assistance, Senator? Both to your reelection campaign, and after?"

“Truth be told I am not sure I can support the direction the Republic has taken. At best, it’s ineffective; at worst, it’s corrupt. Too many competing interests. There may be strength in unity, but bureaucracy grinds everything to halt. It may be time for those of us with common interests and values to break off from the republic, and establish our own government. One that aligns with our beliefs, in the name of efficacy. Of course, I need the support of my constituents. Need to know they support joining with the Confederacy of Independent Systems.

“As long as the separatist force is small, the Republic will seek to enslave us through force. They did it on Geonosis. But, if enough of us left the republic, war would be un thinkable. Make the war too costly to continue, and the Republic will come to the table, and grant our demands.” He turned back to Quentin and smiled smugly, “Would you be interested in meeting Count Dooku, Westin? I could arrange a meeting.”

"Of course, I need the support of my constutuents. Need to know they support joining with the Confederacy of Independent Systems."

It didn't take any particular acting skill for Quentin to appear shocked. The Senator's words, after all, were borderline treason. "That's, that's a, a bold statement, Senator," he temporized. "But, isn't too bold?"

"As long as the seperatist force is small, the Republic will seek to enslave us through force," Coralis replied, falling into the rhythms of a prepared speech. "But, if enough of us left the Republic, war would be unthinkable."

Nodding along, Quentin sipped at his drink. "So. Succession, then, to firce peace?"

The Senator nodded. "Make the war too costly to continue, and the Republic will come to the table, and grant our demands."

"That... there is a certain logic to the idea." It still wasn't hard to act shocked, as he tried to decide how to respond. Thecnically, he could act now. Arrest the man for treason, or...

The Senator turned, smiling a smug smile. "Would you be interested in meeting Count Dooku, Westin? I could arrange a meeting."

His eyes went wide. "My dear sir!" he gasped. "I... that is, I mean, yes! I should like that very much indeed!"

"Scripted to appear spontaneous," repeated one if the guests, savoring the words as he clearly stared at her breasts. He was a tall, sticky man, a wall of fat-padded muscle with thinning hair. "How remarkable. So you enjoyed the shoot?"

“Excellent!” Corralis exclaimed, clapping his hands together. “I will have my assistant contact you when we get the details of the meeting. I think you will find that the CIS’ pro-business stance will align with your interests. It is, after the reason the trade federation and the banking clan have allied with them.”

“But enough politics, tonight,” The senator insisted, refilling his glass and offering Quentin some more. “I have to say, I am quite pleased you and Vynne accepted my invitation. Is it difficult for you, to know so many have seen and enjoyed your wife’s performances? Or do you enjoy the thought, that so many others want the woman you possess?” He gave Quentin a moment to respond, sipping at his drink before continuing.

“I should admit, I was hoping you’d be open to the idea of letting your wife put on a performance for us. I doubt money could sway you, but I have considerable power and pull, and favors from me can be even more valuable than money. Think about it, and ask your wife. Or does she like it better when you don’t?” the senator laughed darkly at that, “Come, let’s not leave them waiting any longer.”

Since she began working alongside Quentin, Kaydia had become quite adept at juggling her presence and her perception, especially when they had to be in different places. Like in this case, when she was answering questions for a group of admirers in the study, while follow Quentin’s conversation in the library. They often had to make use of this setup, one of them playing distraction while the other pursued their goal, and they were very good at it.

So while the Senator confessed his separatist leanings with Quentin, she sipped at her wine, cleansing it from her system as it went down. She didn’t need to be drunk, after all. Even if it did seem the intentions of room. Hoping to leverage drunken behavior into a repeat performance. But drinking wine let her focus on the treason that the Senator was admitting to Quentin, digging his own grave with each word. And then there was the bombshell, offering a meet with Count Dooku. That was a double edge sword. A meet with the Sith lord at the center the conspiracy. A Sith Lord, the one who had trained the Baronet. A man who was powerful while he was still a Jedi, and was terrifying now that he had embraced the dark side. They had grown stronger, together, since the confrontation on Ziost, but were they really ready to come face to face with a Sith Lord? And what about the family they were supposed to be starting?

“So you enjoyed the shoot?" The question pulled her away from her concerns.

Kaydia laughed playfully, remembering the excitement, the passion of having Quentin before a crowd, and the way the merakuya made everything more sensitive. Still, she answered with a restrained, “Well, as much as anyone enjoys their work. Or perhaps a touch more.”

“You must have quite a taste for pain,” A woman asked, with dark eyes, dark hair, and fair skin. She was a few years older than Kaydia, and rather striking. Emphasized by the leer she was giving her.

“Well, a little pain can enhance pleasure, the same way spice can turn a dish into an exquisite experience for the senses,” Kaydia explained, feeling the lust of room focusing on her now. It edged on distressing, dark in its hunger, but she maintained composure. Now that they had what they needed, they could leave soon. It didn’t have to go any further.

Once more there was real joy and relief on her face as Quentin joined her once more. Slipping under the protection of his arm, not because she couldn’t protect herself, but because felt darkness rising in her. Darkness roiling as she felt appraised like an object before the crowd, and she fear that if she were pushed, that darkness might just lash out. But Quentin always centered her, and she needed that now.

“Well, if everyone is quite comfortable, why don’t we start the show?” Corralis called, dimming the lights and starting up the Holovid.

Quentin curled his arm around Kaydia, stroking her hip as uf his mere touch could soothe the roiling dark thoughts in her mind. "The Senator is extremely well placed," he murmured. "He even suggested that he might be able to arrange for me to meet with Count Dooku himself! Can you imagine what an opportunity that would be?"

Glancing around the room, taking note of the hunger in the eyes that lingered on his wife, he shivered. No wonder she was feeling out of balance. "I almost hate to bring this up," he added, still speaking in a low whisper, "but he wants you to put on a private show, implying that there would be political benefits to indulging him." His eyes flicked around the room as they found seats, and he took a glass of sparkling wine from a passing droid. "I,m hesitant, in thiscrowd. But it wouldn't be the first time we've had an audience."

"Well, if everyone is quite comfortable," Senator Coralis asked, "why don't we start the show?" He gestured, and the lights dimmed. "A special presentation, in honor of our guest."

Quentin settled back, using his arm to mold Kaydia possessively to him as the holovid flickered in. Let them watch, he thought smugly. She's mine, unless we're sharing... But the thought trailed away as the image resolved, displaying a scene he'd never watched. He knew it, from her descriotions and nightmaresm but he'd never seen it. He'd never wanted to.

Chains jerked the holographic Kaydia into the air. Then a man stepped into the frame, long blonde hair caught into a pony tail, a grey military greatcoat over a silk shirt and black slacks. "Welcome aboard, m'lady. Quentin Hall, rogue Jedi. The Jedi Council offered a hundred thousand dactares for infirmation leading to his capture. A tidy profit. And you're nit bad either - I might get as much as three hundred thousand from Black Sun for you."

It took a minute for Quentin to react, a shicked minute in which the pirate ripped her clothes from her bidy and in which she tried to turn the tables. "Such a magnificent display," breathed one of the watchers. "You could believe it was real."

It was, Quentin thought, trembling with rage. Suddenly, he was on his feet. "Stop this! Now!"

"My dear..." Coralis began.

Quentin fixed him with his gaze, pinning him in place as the Force surged through him. "Turn it off. Now." His hands balled into fists as the Senator,not understanding why, obeyed. Only then, did he remember who he was supposed to be atthat moment. "Firgive me," he added, pulling Kaydia to her feet. "We had thought you referred to a... to a different..." He shook his head, half escorting and half pushing his wife towards the door. "That... was not a oroduction she remembers... fondly..."

Kaydia wore a smile as Quentin spoke to her, even as his words made her uneasy. “It would be an opportunity,” she agreed, her hand on his back as his was on her waist. Utterly uninterested in untangling form him. His next request had her stiffen. She knew he had too much respect for her to keep things from her, to make this decision for her, but hearing the offer was not helping her regain balance. She felt like prey, as her mind encouraged her to become a predator instead.

“I’m not sure we are in need of any more favors,” she whispered back to her husband, focusing on his warm. Oh, she wanted him, and a dark part of her wanted him before the room. Let them all be jealous, as they watch her writhe upon her husband, as he brings her to climax. Witness the bliss on their features as he floods her with his desire, leaving no doubt who she belonged to, and who belonged to her.

Instead her mind settled into fantasies of making love this evening, as she settled into his arms. Letting his love fill and embrace her, as they sweep away this whole evening. Enjoying the possessive way he held her close, wanting to be just a close to him. They just had to indulge the senator awhile longer, and they’d be back home and done with this whole mess.

But the clinking of chains roused her from her fantasies. It was not the familiar opening she was expecting, with Quentin brushing fixtures aside to take her on a table. Instead she was strung up with chains, reminding her that this time had been recorded as well. So the whole galaxy could watch her rape. Shameful terror clutched her heart as dreadful events played out before her again. Paralyzed by fear, as she watched her holo-self seek some escape from the impending torment, trying to reach for the unconscious Quentin in vain. She tensed in anticipation from the SIN, half expecting to feel it in her own skin, as if someone here might activate it for effect.

Fortunately, for the present Kaydia, Quentin was here for her now, ready to shelter her from the ghosts of her past. Exerting his will on the Senator, creating an opening for them to escape. She was thankful for that, thankful for his hand pulling her to her feet and to his side. But they had to be careful now. She had just finished tell the party how much she enjoyed this performance, and that she liked pain. If they started charging their story now everything could fall apart. Suddenly, there might be concern that the Jedi referred to in the holovid was there in the room before them.

"We had thought you referred to a... to a different..." He shook his head, half escorting and half pushing his wife towards the door. "That... was not a production she remembers... fondly..."

“A pity,” Corralis said, thumbing the remote for the holo projector, “we don’t have to watch this one then. I have more of her holovids. Why don’t you show us your favorite, Vynne?”

“More?” Kaydia repeated, the more a choked sound as she struggled to hold down the fear that was transforming into rage. What more was there? The Telerath vid or…?

“Yes, I purchased a collection of your performances from Baronet Aldane ha-Florindel Sergovia Organa-Nahal. It was pricey, but I have to say, it was worth every dactare,” Corralis laughed, as a series of titles and still images projected along the back wall. All of them, featuring her, and the Baronet. Bound. Burned. Slashed. Choked. Airtight. Obedient.

When she didn’t respond right away, another guest spoke up, “Aldane really did have the best movies. The way he could get his actresses to move from terror to delight on cue was brilliant. And his snuff films were deliciously framed. You could actually see the light leaving the actress’ eyes.”

“You have to wonder if he lost a couple, learning to perfect that technique,” Corralis joked, “Alas, some men are a slave to their art.”

Once more, Kaydia was on that ship. Surrounded by would be rapists, pouring their hostile lust into her, one after another after another. This time, she wasn’t going to be a victim. She wasn’t going to let them violate her again. Never again.

They feared you once. Let them fear you again.

A blink later her eyes flared scarlet, as she pulled away from Quentin, his love and concern dampening her connection to the dark side. “Senator. Let me show you my favorite part of this video. And then perhaps we can move on to the live performance. I do hope you will up for participating.” Her voice was darker then, even as it carried playful tones. Taking the remote, she fast forwarded the holo-vid, speeding past her rape. Stopping right as her twin rapists reached orgasm within her, and the force of the SIN brought on her own unwilling climax.

“Ah yes, the finale,” The senator acknowledged, “It is very powerful.”

“No, not yet, Senator. This part,” Kaydia explained, watching as hope broke within her mind, leaving her with murderous determination only. She smiled big as she watched Quentin’s saber fly to her hands, releasing her from the chains and then plunging into the woman. Her rapist’s bisected form was more satisfying this time around, even without the blood. And then she was laughing in time with the vid, remembering the pleasure of stabbing the captain, again and again and again. His blood covering her shame just slightly. The vid continued as she wandering out of sight, leaving the screams of her victims echoing through the hull of the ship. Nervous laughter filled the room, some guests starting to suspect there had been a horrible miscommunication before.

“Well, I have to say, ending this performance on the murder was an interesting directorial choice,” The senator admitted, tension replacing the lust that had filled his thoughts since first laying eyes on her.

“Oh now, Senator, I thought you liked snuff?” Scarlet questioned, her coquettish tone managing to sound menacing. People were leaving now, the darkness radiating off Scarlet tangible to those without a connection to the force. She helped the evacuation along, recreating the force push from the holovid, recreating the torment that had empowered her then. Only the Senator was left, pinned against the back wall. Screams from the holovid playing background, as she walked over to the open bar, and poured herself a glass of fine wine. Damn, how she missed fine wine.

“Are you ready now? For your private performance?” Scarlet asked, sitting in the front row, sipping from her glass.

“Please…” he gasped, desperately drawing air into his lungs, “Don’t do this.”

“Oh good, you already know your lines,” Scarlet laughed, drinking more deeply from the wine. “Now, that wasn’t quite how I wanted this last scene to go down, but all productions run into issues…well. This is how I wanted it to go down.” At that moment she shattered his pelvis, leaving him with only her force grip to hold him up. The pain was excruciating, based on his cries, but she wasn’t done yet. “This was what I wanted. A slow, painful death for my attackers. Let my torment be their last experience in this life.” In sequence, she broke more of his bones, timing his screams to play parallel to the screams from the holovid. Humming into her wine, she relished in the symphony of anguish that played out before, conducted by her own hand.

Once his voice was raw from the torment, Scarlet sighed, draining her glass. With the tightening of her fist, his spine cracked in half, bending him in ways vertebrae was not accustomed to being bent. He found his voice in time for one last scream, before crumpling on the floor in a broken heap.

“Now that was a well-crafted snuff scene.”

Kaydia! No Quentin screamed in his mind. He had to scream with his mind, because he couldn't scream out loud. He couldn't speak at all. Couldn't even move. All he could go was watch in helpless sorrow and horror as the guests scattered and as she pinned Senator Coralis to the wall.

He knew the technique. Force Paralysis was one of the names, a way of stopping all voluntary motor signals from the target's brain. He'd taught her the technique, but he'd never dreamed she'd use it against him. Why? he wanted to ask, but he knew the answer. She'd done it for the same reason she was blocking his thoughts, letting them slide away as if her soul were encased in impregnable black armor.

She didn't want him to stop her.

He couldn't blame her, not really. The son of a bitch had watched her rapes and tortures as entertainment. Had wanted her to put on a private show, bused and degraded for his pleasure. Kaydia! he howled. No! Don't give in to your hate! Don't...

There was a loud, wet crack as the Senator folded in half backwards, screaming in agony before falling chillingly silent. "Now that," Kaydia remarked, sipping her wine, "was a well crafted snuff scene."

Tears streaming down his face, Quentin strained helplessly against her implacable iron grip. Did she even know she'd done it to him? Did it matter? No, he decided. It didn't. Once he'd told her that if it was a choice between her and the Code, he chose her. That hadn't changed. Not now. Especially not now, when she'd need him the most.

"Kaydia," he gasped.

Once the adrenaline of the kill wore off, Kaydia was aware of her surroundings. The ringing of alarms and the terror of screams and Quentin’s gasping of her name. She could feel the panic of the guests as they sought refuge from her and the confusion of others who had no idea yet what she’d done. And worst of all, she could feel Quentin’s horror and lamentation over what she had done. She released him at that, only half aware she had paralyzed him in the first place.

“I…” she tried, looking at him, her husband, searching her mind for some explanation that made sense. The wet trails on his cheeks stung, and now everything that had felt good about killing the senator felt rotten. In the end, she really was just Scarlet.

Unable to meet his gaze, unable to accept the concern and love that still flowed from him to her, she turned away, “Quentin…I ‘m sorry. I’m not…I wasn’t strong enough.” Just outside, sirens blared, surrounding the building. Escape would be difficult, but not impossible. Not for them. But how many more would die because of her? Some might say she was justified in murdering the treasonous bastard, but it still wasn’t right. She was a Jedi, and she was supposed to be better than that.

“I’m going to turn myself in,” She declared, swallowing hard at the admission. “I never properly paid for the crimes I committed as Scarlet, and as long I am allowed to roam free, she will live within me.” She turned towards him now, trying to hold back the tears, but not succeeding as she saw the look in his eyes. Still, she approached him, brushing his hair from his face, smiling sadly. “I love you, Quentin. I will always love you, no matter what.” She took a kiss, a kiss she strongly suspected might be their last for a long while, if not their last ever.

The Jedi came for her all too soon. Quentin sat numbly, drained and exhausted as local security forces stunned her into submission and cuffed her wrists and ankles behind her before they cuffed him too. They weren't taking chances, even though the security footage showed him helpless and unmoving as the Senator had been murdered.

"We can still run," he'd told her. Begged her. "Disappear, and let the Council decide your fate. They'll understand. Thay have to!" But she'd refused, and waited for security to arrive. And now it was too late.

"We'll handle it from here," Anakin Skywalker told the officer. "Rex. Take a detachment and escort Scarlett to the shuttle." He eyed the two prisoners, noting her resignation and his despair. "As gently as possible. And release Mister..." He smiked, just a little. "Westin Armaia. I think he's another victim here."

"Yes, General." The Clonetroopers gathered round and escorted Kaydia away. Quentin watched, helpless as the doors cloeed behind her, cutting her off from his sight. Then a hard metal hand rested on his shoulder.

"We'll do what we can for her, Master Faylen," Anakin assured him.

Quentin barely reacted, almost not recognizing his cover identity within the Order. Quentin Hall was dead, after all. "I know."

"I read the initial report," Anakin continued, eyes narrowing. "She was clearly provoked. I'm sure that, when I present the evidence to the Supreme Chancellor, he'll find a way to offer clemency."

Quentin turned a little, startled. "The Supreme Chancellor?"

"Oh, yes. He asked the Council to send me specifically." Anakin smiled, and squeezed Quentin's shoulder comfortingly. "Don't worry. He's taken a personal interest in Jedi Kaydia Voss-Hall."

“They want to charge you as a terrorist.” Palpatine declared as Kaydia was lead into his chambers, “Have a public execution to send a message to any other separatist terrorists.” She was still bound, wrists cuffed behind her, ankles cuffed together. And yet, even like this, she could hear Scarlet whispering to her, about how she could kill everyone in this room, and escape. Find Quentin, and escape. Live out her life at her husband’s side, away from the Jedi and the Republic and the duty and any other cares. Freedom, the darkness whispered to her. But there was no freedom in running and hiding. She’d never be free of Scarlet unless she faced up to what she had done.

“Is that it then?” She whispered, finding a calm she wouldn’t have expected. “General Skywalker said that you might find some clemency, for me.”

Palpatine nodded. “I’ve looked over your record, as a shadow. Your clandestine work has served the republic well. Taking this into consideration, as well as the contents of the holovid that provoked your reactions, I am able to offer a plea deal. Plead guilty to manslaughter, and you will serve 15 years in a maximum-security prison, no chance of early parole.”

“15 years…” She breathed, hardly able to conceptualize it. It was certainly a better deal than the death penalty, but it was still so long. There’d be no babies for her and Quentin when she got out. If Quentin would even wait for her that long, —No. He deserved better than that. Better than putting his life on hold for the mistakes she made. “I’ll take the deal. Do I…Can I see my husband again? Before I go?”

Palpatine gave her a hard look, before shaking his head, “No. No. I am afraid you will be on a prison transport ship within the hour. But I will be sure that someone passes the details on to him.” Nodding, she bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears. Her life wasn’t over. It was just on pause.

Serving a prison sentence in the notorious Stygeon Prime was as much as Kaydia would have expected. A lot of time alone, with her thoughts and memories. A lot of time to practice her meditation and force excersizes, deepening her connection to the all living things. Including the life growing within her.

That had been a shock. At first, she thought she was just having a hard time adjusting to prison food and the stress of being separated from her husband. But when she felt the second heartbeat in the force, she realized that being late the Senator’s fundraiser had been even more productive that she could have imagined. Quentin never could say no to her, and now she had her last wish. But what did it mean now, while she was imprisoned?

Once there was no more hiding her pregnancy from the prison, and no way to contact Quentin in the force, despite her attempts, she was brought before the warden and an unfamiliar republic official. There was no small talk, just getting right into the heart of the matter.

“This changes things for you quite a bit, doesn’t it?”

“Does it?”

“I imagine you would want to be out of here that much quicker.”

“Clearly.”

“And I imagine you’d be willing to do a great many things to get out earlier?”

“What are we talking about?”

“The skills you developed as Scarlet. The republic is at war, and you can make reasonable progress on ending it sooner, rather than later. Your actions can save millions of lives.”

“How soon?”

“Three to five years.”

“And my husband? Will he know or?”

“No, and you won’t contact him either, or everything is called off.”

“Everything?”

“Your child will be taken into republic custody on birth and you will not see nor hear about them until you are released, in their teenage years. Or you can stick to the deal, and get your child back before they have a chance to form long term memories without you.”

There was no choice. No real choice. It was her one chance to have her family. Her one chance to be with Quentin, and their child. Repaying her debt to the republic by serving it with the skills she developed as an assassin. The only way to escape Scarlet was to become her once more.

“Whatever the republic needs.”

Deep Space 20 BBY

Fourteen names composed the folders on her data disk. 12 men and women she had killed over the last two years. Another one, the new one, was her target. The last one was her reward, her motivation, her entire purpose for living and going back to her life as Scarlet. It was the only thing that mattered anymore. She opened that one first.

Mara Jade Voss-Hall
Height: 90 centimeters.
Weight: 13 Kg

The details were cold and detached, painting a half picture of the child she had hardly known. The child she had held but once since carrying her. Quentin’s daughter, not that he had any clue she even existed. A dozen pictures of a redhead toddler accompanied the fact sheet, and it seemed the girl was happy enough. She showed no signs that she missed her mother or father, no sign that being an orphan had bothered her any. There was an attached hologram showed her playing. Laughing. Oblivious.

Each time it was always the same. She didn’t want to be Scarlet, did want to kill people for some faceless entity. But she saw her daughter, her Mara Jade, and none of that mattered anymore. She couldn’t stop now. If she stopped, everything she had done to this point would have been meaningless. She only hope was to see through this job, and the next, until she was free. Mara would be safe, and she could reunite with Quentin. Would he still love her, if he knew that she had dipped her hands back in blood to protect their child? If he knew that she always had been a terrible Jedi, that she had chosen love over duty, again and again.

Resigned, Kaydia opened the new folder. Her target. Bail Organa, senator from Alderaan, and Prince Consort. Another anti-war senator. How was this helping the Republic? How would his death end the war any quicker? But Kaydia wasn’t allowed to question her orders. And she could do was hope this would be the time Quentin might catch her.

She’d left clues, at the other crime scenes. Too subtle to gain much notice to any but the most astute investigators. The sorts of things Quentin had shown her to look for when they worked together. The sorts of things that only someone who had spent their life hunting force users would perceive. He was the only one who could stop her now. The only one who could save her.

"She isn't here, my son."

Quentin looked up, startled at the intrusion. He'd been pouring over the Archives, trying to locate where Kaydia was being held. "What?" he asked in confusion, blinking at Master Valis. "Not here? But... she's a Jedi. By law, she..."

"I am aware of the statutes," the Axotl said, staring at him with unblinking liquid black eyes. "It is why the Order, for the most part, polices itself. But in light of the politically sensitive nature of the case..."

Quentin was on his feet now, pacing. "What? What's happened?"

Valis blinked. "The Supreme Chancellor has invoked a little-used law passed after the Exar Kun uprising. He will be passing judgement on her case himself."

Quentin stared at him in shock for the span of three heartbeats. Then, wordless, he sprinted from the room.

"Master Quinn Faylen," Supreme Chancellor Palpatine said, smiling as he rose from his chair. "How may I assist you?"

Quentin took in the spare room with its view of the sprawling ecumenopolis, noted the looming presence of the indigo-armored Chancellory Guard, and forced his pulse to slow. "I thank you for your time, Supreme..."

Palpatine waved off the formal words with a smile. "Nonsense, Master Faylen. I am delighted to speak with one of the Order. What did you need to speak with me about?"

"A prisoner," Quentin said, forcing himself to be calm. "Jedi Sir Kaydia..."

"Voss-Hall," Palpatine finished. "Also known as 'Scarlet'." He shook his head sadly. "A Black Sun assassin the Order believed redeemed. Until she branched out into political assassination. What did you need to know?"

"It's not a matter of knowing," Quentin answered, aware that his words were tumbling out faster than he could control. "I've come to serve as her advocate. I..."

"Oh dear," Palpatine interrupted. "If only I'd known... but no. It would have changed nothing. Her guilt was incontrovertible."

A hollow opened in Quentin's gut. "What..?" He couldn't bear to finish.

"I ordered her execution," the Supreme Chancellor stated. "For the good of the Republic, we cannot show...". He continued for some time, speaking of the tester good and the need for order and the importance of showing that none stood above the law.

Quentin heard none of it.

Mandalore
20 BBY

Quentin stood silently in the bedroom, ignoring the people around him as he let the living currents of the Force unfold around him. There was little enough to sense, though. The hostile patience of Prime Minister Almec and his guards. The quiet nervousness of the other two Jedi, Kento Marek and his partner Mallie Taris. But no clues to the identity of the murderer.

He opened his eyes.

"Well?" the Prime Minister demanded, disdain dripping from his voice. "What have your vaunted powers told you, Jedi? Will you deny that your own Order has struck down Duchess Satine?"

"The assassin entered with the assistance of the Duchess," Quentin said. "There are no signs of forced entry. The Duchess was found in bed, yes? Her heart stopped?"

"Yes," the Prime Minister growled. "But I don't..."

Quentin ignored him, crossing the room and examining the bed. After a minute he was crouched low, examining the silken sheets closely.

"What are you looking for, Master?" asked Sir Kento, moving to watch more closely.

"Nothing that can be seen with the senses," Quentin murmured, tracing the sheets with his hands. Feeling the impressions that had been left behind. Passion. Shock. A touch of memory. Nothing that could be put easily into words, but a complex melange of thought and sense that built up... "Proof."

"Proof of what?" Nellie asked, moving to stand near her partner.

"She invited her killer in," Quentin murmured. "A chance flirtation, leading to more..." He straightened up. "Bail Organa."

"The name of the killer?" the Prime Minister sneered.

"The name of the next victim," Quentin replied. "She left the name, as a warning." He squared his shoulders, hope and fear mingling in his heart. "I'll find her killer, Prime Minister. I'll find her."

“Is this your first trip to Alderaan?” The customs agent asked, looking over her paperwork. The question brought back memories, of lying in bed, counting down the minutes. Of watching her sleeping lover, as she pleasured him awake. Of being carried through the ship, and making love as the shower rained down on them.

Take everything I have, everything I am. Take me forever. Marry me.

“It is,” she lied smoothly, flashing the official a friendly smile. Jedi Knight Kaydia Voss had been to Alderaan once, to take a renegade Jedi into custody, but she wasn’t Kaydia today. She hadn’t been Kaydia in quite some time.

“Enjoy your visit, Miss Lorsha Lestrante.”

She doubted she could seduce Bail as she had Satine. By all accounts the Queen and her consort were very much in love. Seducing both occurred to her for a moment, but then she’d have to kill the queen too, and regicide could complicate things. But seduction was far from her only tool.

Following two days of surveillance, she found her in with the senator. Playing the same role she had the first time she’d come to Alderaan, with Quentin. Bail had a dedicated chauffer, Enric Tahli, but when he was unable to perform his duties, they contracted with an agency for a temp. And as it turned out, Enric was as susceptible to force suggestion as anyone.

Pulling up to the palace gates, security looked over her forged liscense, “No Enric today?” the security guard mused casually.

“No, he cashed in his vacation time. I guess Champagne Supernova is having a reunion tour?” she suggest, throwing out a thought she had pulled form Enric brain before sending him on his way.

“Oh, the Gallaxes brothers managed to make up? I might have to see if I have any PTO left,” he joked, returning her documentation.

“I’d be quick if I were you. They are likely to start feuding again, mid tour,” she teased, putting everything away in console compartment. They shared laughed, before he informed the Senator over the intercom that his car was waiting on him.

Back
Top Bottom