Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Game Will Stand the Test of Time?

I'm surprised that Warcraft and Minecraft haven't been mentioned yet. I believe Minecraft is still one of the most searched videos on youtube and other games have taken ideas from minecraft. Warcraft turned into World of Warcraft and set a standard on MMORPG's, so far no other MMORPG has been able to kill WoW. Games that are fun and give a unique element that other games copy, tend to stand the test of time.

I feel like MineCraft are another model of a building type game. Its one that breaks down the simplest unit further than any previous game has, offering a modicum of control you didn't see before. The simplicity of it and ability to build complex structures hit on the same areas of the brain as Lego building sets tapping into something that was already there in many folk. There will always be a community for such things but this one is massive because you can do anything with it and people will always want to see how far that's taken.

W.O.W. is something that built on Blizzard's Massive success and desire for a continued revenue stream from faction based gaming. The lore they built up from Orcs and Humans in 94 to W3 was significant. They learned by studying NWN and Everquest and avoided their failings to make the biggest mmorpg but people still played NWN and EQ till their followups came out.

In the test of time category MMORPGs have the unfair advantage of being constantly tweaked and updated so it seems they're not quite standing the test of time so much as adapting to time to keep their appeal.

The table top games have the similar quality but its based more in becoming more refined or balanced in their Mechanics. (The fact someone made this goddamn NPC enemy shows why table tops esp DnD is the greatest of all time ) (Here's where the reference to that comes from...so hilarious )
IF you change form to suit your audience are you standing the test of time or are you changing and therefore admitting you can't stand the test of time as you were?

Anansi said:
I feel like MineCraft are another model of a building type game. Its one that breaks down the simplest unit further than any previous game has, offering a modicum of control you didn't see before. The simplicity of it and ability to build complex structures hit on the same areas of the brain as Lego building sets tapping into something that was already there in many folk. There will always be a community for such things but this one is massive because you can do anything with it and people will always want to see how far that's taken.

W.O.W. is something that built on Blizzard's Massive success and desire for a continued revenue stream from faction based gaming. The lore they built up from Orcs and Humans in 94 to W3 was significant. They learned by studying NWN and Everquest and avoided their failings to make the biggest mmorpg but people still played NWN and EQ till their followups came out.

In the test of time category MMORPGs have the unfair advantage of being constantly tweaked and updated so it seems they're not quite standing the test of time so much as adapting to time to keep their appeal.

The table top games have the similar quality but its based more in becoming more refined or balanced in their Mechanics. (The fact someone made this goddamn NPC enemy shows why table tops esp DnD is the greatest of all time ) (Here's where the reference to that comes from...so hilarious )
IF you change form to suit your audience are you standing the test of time or are you changing and therefore admitting you can't stand the test of time as you were?

While to some degree I agree, ultimately, a strong game evolves. Like all things in the world, evolve or die. How long would mankind have lasted had we stayed in the caves drawing mammoths while the world around us emerged from the ice age?

While I do understand that to some, the very fact that a game like WoW has changed with the times and player base as a negative. And perhaps its not at it's peak anymore sub wise. But its still a monster in the industry even after nearly 14 years.

As somebody who has beta tested every expansion since Mists, and am currently in the Alpha for Battle for Azeroth, the thing that makes Blizzard games great isn't their originality, almost everything they do came from another source. But they polish it and make it better. They make it available to the masses. Does that stick in the craw of some people? sure. Elitists are elitists. But any of the games mentioned here thus far, have had some form of evolution. Or they wouldn't be something today's player base would be interested in. If its not new and hip its in the trash bin.

And yes, I admit that is a stereotype and an over simplification. But I use it as a point. Being that I remember when Tetris was brand new and my first PC has less Ram than the watches have today, I've watched a lot of games come, and go. And those that refused to adapt, died. Even Skyrim, perhaps one of the most universally loved game I can think of, has evolved through user made mods. All the updates and content. Its not the exact same as it was when it was first released.

Anyways, thats my two cents. Still can't buy a cup of coffee with it.

I'd say Suikoden 2 has a good chance. Came out during the golden age of RPG's in the late 90's and has developed a strong cult following for all the right reasons.

Easy to pick up and play. Excellent characters and story. Base building that comes with recruiting your army. Tactical war battles. Multiple endings. I could go on.

Plus as a pixelated game it's aged VERY well.

I have to say, I think most puzzlers will still be around in 70 years. I mean, they’re always coming out with new-fangled versions of Tetris, Bejeweled and the like, so why not? I also have no doubt that, as someone said before, that the industry will revert to just having their brands as the system names. And emulators are already popular, making classic gaming available to most everyone nowadays, so just imagine how extensive the library will be in 70 years.

Physics wise, Super Mario World aged pretty well. Not only the level design and music are great, but they were a lot of secret levels beyond the Star World.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky.

Loved it in middle school, love it now. Absolutely timeless.

Halo series, I'm still playing ODST for the umpteenth time.

Although the graphics looks like a Dreamcast game, but I think first one in the series has the most charm and general "feel" that the later games have just never come close to matching.

Out of all the games listed in here only three of them are likely to be around with new versions in that amount of time. Games like "Halo" and "Skyrim" as some have suggested definitely will not be. Nor will Dark Souls. Dark Souls was not groundbreaking, nor did it bring anything new. That sort of game has been around for quite a whilst. Skyrim has already ended. The game itself is still played, but it will not continue. Elder of Scrolls the series, however, will continue but not for 70+ more years. Especially not with how bad Bethesda has been doing lately. Halo definitely won't be around in 70+ years. The game came from Quake and Unreal Tournament and was nowhere near as good as either.

The safest bet is by far Dungeons & Dragons. Entire genres and game mechanics are built based on the system that D&D uses. D&D has already been around for 40+ years and it doesn't have to worry about ageing considering it is a tabletop experience. Due to the survivability of D&D any game similar to it has a chance. Shadowrun is definitely one of those games. Out of the games mentioned thus far the only other one that really stands a chance is Mario. Mario's fate is tied to Nintendo though so it really depends on whether or not the company continues to do well. If Nintendo were to go out of business at any point or move onto other things, it isn't likely they'd sell the rights of Mario to anyone and even if they did there wouldn't be any guarantee that said company would treat Mario as their mascot like Nintendo does.

There are some games that could theoretically have newer titles around at that time, the chances are much lower compared to the previously mentioned though. An example being super popular fighting games which have already reached 20-25+ years. Final Fantasy games could be around at that time. If you count sports games despite them all being pretty much the same in their respective genres. Anything Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of The Rings are all likely to still be around. Most of those will highly depend on how and who gets what rights over the years. The fan bases for those three will definitely still exist in another 70+ years. Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of The Rings have far too many fans to die out any time soon and they've all contributed a massive amount to fiction.

And any gamer that hasn't lived under a rock for the last two decades knows what Half-Life is. At the rate it is going we'll still be waiting for game #3 in 70+ years.

Last edited:
I'd say Nintendo and most of their titles. Specifically Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Mario is more unverisally recognized than Mickey Mouse. Zelda because people will buy a new system just for the latest Zelda game and Nintendo puts some of their best quality into those games. Pokemon, because, you will never be able to catch them all, the next generation just keep coming out.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky.

Loved it in middle school, love it now. Absolutely timeless.

Explorers of Sky is possibly one of my favourite Pokemon games ever. I was going to say "only below..." but I couldn't actually think of any Pokemon game that I loved more than it.

Besides that, DnD definitely has the following and interest to be popular many, many years from now - as it is so many years since its creation. Nintendo as a whole releases a LOT of very memorable series. Like Void said - Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are still popular 20+ years later and have the potential to remain popular so much longer.

I'd say a number of nintendo originals like mario and zelda will always be around. They've become ingrained in gaming pop culture now that pretty much everyone has had some experience with one of them.
As well the originals like tetris' and pacman's simplicity can strike a cord with anyone. Those get new versions nowadays and im sure people will always go back to them and others to see what can be added to meet the time periods popular choices. (Tetris 99 being an example of that)

It's been more than 20 years since StarCraft was released and in my opinion it'll last a lot longer even than the sequel. It's just so good. It's practically Korea's national sport.

Back
Top Bottom