Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[Interest Check] Achtung! Cthulu

Happy New Year all of you.

For Christmas, I got a stack of books that look wonderful - Achtung! Cthulu (and no, I can't say "achtung" without wanting to shout it in a bad WW2-movie German accent either).

I'd like to have a go at running something relatively small (meaning 2-3 players), using the Savage Worlds system. Out of the box it comes with interesting cross-overs with Dust, Godlike, and even a cyberpunk system.

The nature of the system is a little more two-fisted than you might normally imagine Call of Cthulu; investigators tend to be special forces / soldiers / intellectual elites for their respective countries. It also reminds me of Delta Green / the Laundry Files, but necessarily more low-tech.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to run:

A!C = "I just hit that Deep One with my jeep!"
A!C + Dust = "I just shot that Deep One with my mech!"
A!C + Dust + Godlike = "Captain America just hit that Deep One with my mech!"

Do any of you have any experience with this game-line? Is it any good? Any pointers?

It has been some time, but I did play Call of Cthulu awhile ago and loved it. I really dig the Cthulu mythos, and that mixed with WWII would be awesome! In short, I'm very interested in being involved with this one way or another :)

Not sure if I'd play, not a fan of Savage Worlds, but I'm hoping someone pulls a John Constantine.... I forget where exactly, but pressing the but of a cigarette in the eye of the giant squid monster himself before flipping it the bird..... Will be interesting to watch and see if anything gets to that point.

A!C + Dust sounds like hilariously insane fun but even without that I'd love to take a stab at this system!

I've not actually tried Savage Worlds before, but the combination of World War 2 and Cthulhu really appealed to me. What about it puts you off, RPG-Girl?

The standard assumption is that players are agents of the Allies in some form, working against various flavours of Nazi villainy. In some ways, I imagine something like Hell Boy as well. But having said that, I can also imagine something "Agent Carter"-like with Peggy rolling her eyes and quipping at a Deep One-Nazi hybrid before shooting it with a tommy gun...

I guess it largely becomes a question of style / theme, and what people are interested in.

A!C can use either the BRP-CoC system or Savage Worlds, and all the cross-overs are dual-systemed.

Mostly? I understand d20 systems almost the same way that I can read the English language, and I have oft been accused of being a relentless bibliophile. Other systems.... for some reason, I just can't grasp the mechanics and systems at all. Like trying to understand a text that has been translated into four or five languages before reaching English. I could try.... but at the same time, I have a lot of trouble grasping the mechanics.

I'll think it over. I might do something..... and besides, sanity is for the weak.

Back
Top Bottom