Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Becoming a goddess

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirix

Supernova
In a land where the gods are all but gone, only their words and the power that come with them remain after Man tried to claim Heaven and Hell for themselves. They failed in taking the divine lands, their bodies not made to live in the hostile heats of the Hell, or the high reaches of the heavens, but they succeed in taking out the gods. Little did Man know though that this would create the Godbound, Mortals turned demi-gods in moments of great danger or constant study to enlightenment, and the chaos that would be unleashed as each tried to claim what they wished in this world.

This is one of those stories.

Erin finds herself and the small mercenary band she has come to call her family in the small hamlet of Gordan. On the fringes of the country Coethas, this small gathering of houses and buildings is constantly being attacked by all manner of dangerous creatures and vile humanoids looking to take what they can from the citizenry. Lady Priss has dismissed everyone to do as they please while she makes a deal with the Elder to take out the local bandit hive.

Some of the possible actions available to Erin are she can talk with those on the street she sees, check out the hunting and bounty board near by, or visit the tavern for a drink, or whatever she desires to do.

Erin respected Lady Priss, but who knows how long it would be before an agreement would be made. Elders in towns like this had a tendency to be misers and pedants, taking a long time and effort to save themselves a tiny bit of coin. So the crew had been freed to do as they may, most heading for taverns or other comforts. But Erin was restless and so she went to the bounty board. Surely something there wouldn't take too long.

The board is mostly plastered with the faces of the bandits your company is getting ready to go take out, but there are a few monsters and other pests on the board as well tucked off into a corner. There are posters for undead a few villages over, and a an orc band in the other direction. The only mark near by is a troublesome earth elemental that has been wandering about and causing mayhem when it crosses the humans or their livestock. In the corner is says to go see the bar keep for more details.

Surely an elemental couldn't be that tough? If all it's doing is killing some cows it's probably either weak or stupid. Either way it was going to be coin in her pocket, if Erin had anything to say about it. She yanked the notice off the board and headed into the tavern, pausing to smile and nod to those in her company to were already entertaining themselves. She headed up the bar and slapped the note down. "I'll have a drink. And someone to tell me all about this." she said.

The bar keep takes the paper from the counter and looks it over a moment then looks at the woman that had slammed it down. By the armor, she was obviously part of the mercs currently in the city. "Well, I can give you both. Take a seat and we can talk details." he says, stepping away only for a minute to grab a pint for the woman, setting the cup in front of her. "Now, you have half a mind to take on the elemental? We have been dealing with that thing for a month now. Not even big Dave could run it off." He says, pointing over to a large lumber jack in the corner with a cracked axe and an arm in a sling. "I'm sure your capable, but I would think about taking some of your friends." He recommends, throwing another mead down the counter before turning back to Erin. "Pay will still be the same. Only have about 30 gold we can spare for its slaying." He starts, starting the numbers game.

Erin took the seat and the pint, taking a long sip before letting the man across the bar speak. She gave a glance over at Big Dave when he was indicated, giving the wounded man a smile and a wink before turning back to the bartender. He threw out an offer, but it was low. It was always low. Erin hated to quibble over the price of things, but if you didn't you were a fool and would get cheated, so she muddled through it the best she could. "30? And you want me to take a whole crew? And we'd get to split it up for, what, a drink each which would send it right back into your pockets? I'll need at least 50 if I'm to convince even one to come with me."

The bar keep could see that Erin could play the game. He thinks for a moment, then reaches behind the bar to pull out a bag that tinkles and clinks with the sound of the gold pieces. "I have the 30 right here. I'll offer up 15 as an advance and see if I can scape together another 10 to 15 coins." he starts off, standing back up. "And, I'll throw you all a small party. A barrel of my finest, a single plate of food for any involved and for anyone interested, I have a few ladies that might...warm their beds for the night." He counter offers.

Erin grinned at his counter offer. The ladies didn't really interest her, but they might entice some of her fellow mercenaries to work cheap. She downed her drink and then offered her hand, sounds like a deal. She said. Once things were shook on she headed over to her fellows, especially ones for whom a meal and a little "company" would be close to enough on its own. "Who wants to make a little coin and sleep with someone friendly tonight?"

Of the 5 she was around, three smile and perk up at the idea. Jerric, a good looking spearman but kind of fresh as far as experience goes asks, "What's the mark?" He was very much a glory hound, thusly why he had joined the mercs in the first place. Sven and Hendrick, general swordsman the pair also sit forward and nod in agreement to the idea.

Erin grins and takes a seat. If all four come this will be no problem at all. "They say it's an elemental. Been killing cows and harassing the locals. Its close too, close enough that we'll get out meals and company by dinner if we hurry."

(May be more truth to that statement then you know hahaha)

Jerric gets a look of contemplation on his face while the other two just go straight into nodding and getting ready. "Sounds like a good way to pass the time at least." Hendrick says as he pulls out his blade to look over the edge. "Surprised you didn't buckle under the original asking price like usual." He grins, looking over at Erin. "Making you into a fine merc finally." He teases a bit gruffly.

Jerric on the other hand looks at his spear for a moment. "I guess I can add it to the body count." He shrugs then stands up, ignoring the fact that the body count only is 3 unassisted at the moment.

Eric makes a face at Hendrick and sticks out her tongue. "It is hardly my fault people would rather live my life than waste it quibbling over a few copper pieces, but I did it this time to your benefit. But feel free to keep it up if you want me to reduce your cut?" She says, and then turns to Jerric, the greenhorn. "What do you think? Should I take his meal? Or his girl?"

Jerric looks over at the older man then back at Erin with a smile. "Oh definitely his girl. Do the poor maiden a favor." He chuckles, then looks back over at Hendric. He wasn't that bad looking as a whole, but for the present company he was the roughest looking, having been in the company for the longest and sporting the most scars.

Erin nodded sagely. "Good thinking." she said to the spearman and slapped him on the shoulder, turning back to Hendrick. "Mock me again I'm keeping your girl." she tells him with a wink. She'd never be so petty and he knew it, but Erin liked to talk a big game, especially among young and handsome men.

She turned to the group as a whole and smiled. "I don't know about you boys, but I'm getting hungry. Let's grab our gear and go kill dinner!"

"Well, lets go kill us a spirit then." Sven smiles, putting his sword away and standing up to lead the way out. "Go get us a direction and lets go." He says, standing near the door.

(If you want more character building moments with these three, feel free to take your time. If you just want to get to the fight, just say you spot the floating rock and move in to attack.)

Erin gets her sword and her armor while the others gear up before heading over to the barkeep to get directions and tell him to get cooking. Soon they were on the road, and Erin with an extra spring in her step she was so proud of herself. She was leading a squad all on her own. Lady Priss had said she had leadership potential and now she was proving it.

And sooner than she thought, mostly because her excellent mood had made the march go faster, she spotted it. She threw up her hand for the others to halt in their tracks and then pointed. She could see the floating rock in the distance.

[I'm eager for a scrap. I also wonder if I should be getting too attached to these guys :)]

(they will be around until they aren't. The spirit I am putting you up against would be hard by yourself, but should be an ok challenge with friends I think. You go first as per the rules. What is your ac and until you ascend you have 4 hp to represent your humanity)

The rock is just floating along, not doing much of anything at the moment, slighting pulsating with a brown energy and slowly rising and falling about the ground.

Erin signals for her companions to surround it, waits for them to get into position, and then gives the signal and charges in, striking the beast with her sword.

(Lets say I have medium armor so AC 5 and a reduced Spirit save. How should I roll? I have an orokos account if that works)

(I trust you not to fudge rolls. If it seems like your rolls are too good too often then I'll step in haha)

(don't forget your strength so 7+4=11+ac=a miss)

The blade barely skirts the side of the elemental, sparks flying off the hard exterior of rock. The other three rush in and make their own attack

Sven (9+4+ac)

Hendrick (6+4+ac)

Jerric(1+4+ac)

Everyone seems to have been over confident in their veal and excitement at what they thought would be an easy kill as again everyone's weapons just bounce and skid off of the hard rock.

The elemental, fully surprised attacks the first one to strike at it and pushes some of its energies out toward Erin.

Elemental (5+5+5ac=miss)
Even with the magical properties of the creature, in its haste to retaliate doesn't push its attack at the right moment and shoots the magic over top of Erin's head.

(I did forget! Thanks!)

"It's tougher than it looks, but its a lousy shot! It won't last long against us boys!" Shouts Erin, attempting to rally her marcs for another attack before charging in again, looming for a crack or joint she could wedge her sword into.

(Roll!

Attacking Earth Elemental round 2: 1d20+5 13)

(13+ac=miss)

Finding a crack, Eric pushes forward and attacks at it, but finds that her blade is too large to fit and again the rock just deflects the blade. The rest of the boys make their attacks as well, rallied.

S (16+4+ac=hit) Damage roll (d-3=1 point of damage)

H (10+4+ac=miss)

J (4+4+ac=miss)

Hendrick and Jerroc don't seem to be on their A game today as both sword and spear fail to get purchase. Sven on the other hand is able to drive his longsword into a crack and chip away a good piece of its armor.

Havng actually gotten hurt now, the elemental turns its fury to the one that struck his blow and strikes out at Sven

E(12+5+5ac=hit) (d-4=1pod)

The elemental manages to get a hit on Sven, knocking the man back and the breathe out of his lungs.

(sven-3 health left)

"Sven found an opening! Get him!" Erin barked as she ran around to Sven's side. "Over here you great bag of rocks!" She taunted, slashing wildly with her sword in order to draw its attention away from Sven so he could recover.

(Attacking Earth Elemental round 3: 1d20+5 7)

(this game just does not want you to hit hahaha)

Realizing that the sword is going for the newly opened chink in the armor, the rock drops farther then Eric expects and again glances off the stone with a flurry of sparks.

Sven takes a moment to recover before stepping forward to rejoin the fight.

Sven11+4+ac=hit d-7=2 damage

Hendrik 20= auto hit d-1=no damage

Jerric 15+4+ac=hit d-7=2 damage

All of the boys hit their targets and with the combined strike on the weak point, the rock bursts open and the magic on the inside scatter and drop back down into the earth.

The men all step back and breathe for a moment, happy that they got the kill with minimal damage to only one of them. "Well, that was well worth a meal, some thighs and a little coin" Sven says, rubbing at his chest a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom