Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Rig Specs

Leonheart

I turned myself into a pickle!
Supporter
For those of you who have built your own computer or have had your computer built for you. What kind of rig are you running? :)

CPU: FX 8350 4.0 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 4 GB
RAM: G. Skill Aries DDR3 16 GB
Case: NZXT Phantom Full-Tower Black
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming ATX
Storage: PNY SSD 223 GB
WD MyBook USB Drive 465 GB
PSU: (I think it's Rosewill, can't remember) 800W Gold Semi-modular

Those are the important things for my system. All of the ancillary items aren't quite so important to me but feel free to post them if you like.

CPU: Intel i7 2600K (OC'd to 4.0)
MoBo: Asus P8P67 DELUXE <REV 3.0>
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw Series (DDR3 1333. 4 x 4GB)
GPU: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750W
AMC: Corsair Hydro Series H90
SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Boot, Progs)
HDD1: WD Black 2GB (Capture, Media Files)
HDD2: WD Red 5TB (Storage)
HDD3: WD Red 5TB (Backup)
Monitors: Acer XB270HU (landscape), Asus VE248H (landscape), Asus VW246H (portrait)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Blackout Windowed

Uh... AMD Kaveri APU, 4 (3.9 downclock) GHz with an onboard R7 that I can't use because APUs are the only AMD video card with crossfire restrictions. Ugh. Instead, I use my R9 270X. I have a mishmash of DDR3 memory, 8 GB... A crappy PSU that doesn't output it's rated power, forcing me to downclock... Got a pretty nice 1080 Acer monitor, tho', and a great wifi card that can pick up signals from Mars (or up to a city block away).

Colossus was built in a basement from a box of scraps, but I love my rig, and it still pushes Ultra on modern games. Total pricetag for everything in it is probably >$400, too. I'm about due for an upgrade soon. I want to swap the motherboard and processor for Intel tech, so my girlfriend can use the APU for Civ 6 when it comes out.

AMD FX 8320 (4.0GHz OC)
Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 280x 3GB (1110Mhz OC)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X (12GB (4x3), DDR3 1600MHz)
NZXT Phantom Full-Tower White
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
WD Blue 1TB
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+G
BenQ XL2420TE
Gateway HD2201

My first build about two years ago. I originally had an R9 270x, but upgraded.

I still have my R9 270X, Trygon! They're great cards :) Mitsu, you and I have the same tower except mine is black :0

I just recently got a Sapphire Nitro + RX 480 8GB. It's factory OCed to like 1342 MHz, but I bumped it up to 1380. I like it.

Leonheart said:
I still have my R9 270X, Trygon! They're great cards :) Mitsu, you and I have the same tower except mine is black :0

Kinda salty about getting passed over for all the cool new software (Damn you GCN 1.1), but it's mitigated slightly by my ability to run Doom on Ultra around 75 fps, with only occasional dips to 45. Genuinely impressive stuff. I wonder if that's the Vulkan magic.

Doom is especially well optimized for AMD cards. They really went all out on making sure vulcan squeezes everything it can out of your card's performance.

Well, it's a shocking showcase of what this tech can do. This card is older than the current console generation, and it crushed that game's amazing graphics with ease. If you haven't played it, Leon, get on it. It's a great game and an even better tech demo, in classic id style.

I wonder how much it has to do with the current iteration of Id Tech. Carmack left them with the groundwork for a pretty great engine. Just look at what they managed to do with Rage, despite all of it's flaws. On consoles it ran exceptionally well considering just how good it looked. Now you have Doom on the next Id Tech up, and the game was easily one of the best of 2016. I'd say the Witcher 3 was the only other game that gave it a run for it's money in technical competency. Both run surprisingly well on cards that aren't top of the line, considering it's a stupidly beautiful open world game. In comparison, Fallout 4 hardly hits 60FPS on my computer (exteriors) and it looks far worse than either game.

970 some Garbo AMD processor that I'd have to look up, 16gb DDR3, 2x 1tb storage, 1x 250gb Kingston SSD, some 600w power supply and a h100i cooler for CPU.

For an IT guy, my PC is pretty crap.

Thanks, Trygon, I will look into it. It's still better than most market PCs, Sugo :)

Back
Top Bottom