Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I got a failing PS4. I really am in need of tips, insight.

winter.nights.yuu

Banned
Banished
Hi! Since this is where gamers gather on BlueMoon, I thought it'd be best to place it here...

Well, I bought a PS4 about 1 month ago. It's been a blast, up until now. Here are the list of problems I am having with it...

1. The biggest issue; the controller. I only own 1, it's fully charged, but upon turning it on (only able to use the touchpad to turn it on), it disconnects automatically after about 3-4 seconds. Therefore the Home button doesn't function at all, so I even have to kickstart my PS4 using the on-button on the machine itself. I don't know if it's the cord that's having issues, but it's fully charged.

2. Since day 1, the Discdrive is having trouble accepting/running discs. I've been buying all my games digitally(since then). Once inserting the disc, any disc, it makes a really weird LOUD grinding sound. Then it ejects it. Then, it won't accept any game disc or DVD movie disk, even after rebooting. Then several days later, it seems to have solved its problem, but then, at random, the issue continues.

3. Just days ago, the PS4 turned itself on, all by itself. It was OFF. Nothing, not even my cats, touched the damn thing. Is that even normal?

I still have my warranty, it will expire roughly 10 months from now. But I don't want to waste my warranty if these issues can be fixed, you know?

I browsed the web for days on end. Some say the blutooth antenna may be damaged, or that shoving that disc with a little too much force may damage the drive. I never had so much trouble with a console. It's my...6th console ever with the Nintendo Entertainment System. Never had any problems before, my PS3 being my previous baby, and I love it. Seems...sturdier than my PS4.

Turn the PS4 off, and then press and HOLD the power button until you hear a second beep. Takes 10-15 seconds. This will start in safe mode, with a few recovery options. The one you want is Rebuild Database. Run this process. That should address Issue 3 (Assuming it didn't power on to accept an update file or the like), and maybe Issue 2, unless 2 is a fucked drive. The controller sounds like it's not finding the playstation, and may need to be resynced. Just plug it into the system and try turning it on with the playstation button. If that doesn't work, my guess would be some kind of hardware failure in the controller's bluetooth. Try pairing it to your phone or laptop or whatever (hold playstion button and share, I think, for about ten seconds when it's off. It'll come on with the lightbar flickering white, and be discoverable by other bluetooth devices) to see if it works with other things.

Try all of that and report back. I don't have high hopes for the disc drive (grinding noises are BAD), but Rebuild Database is some kind of magical panacea for various PS4 woes. It should always be your first choice when something acts weird.

I think I'm at the end of the line here. It might be that the controller simply got a serious malfunction, although it still gives off that orange light when supposedly charging. Makes it impossible to navigate through Safe Mode, let alone choose anything on the screen. The PS button simply won't turn it on, anymore. The touchpad doesn't respond, unlike before. I used a programme on my laptop, as you suggested, to test PS3 and PS4 controllers alike. The DS4 won't turn on, nor register, using the usb cable.

Do I want to spend 60 bucks on a new DS4? I'm still sitting on the fence. Might as well buy a new charging cable, to find out. *sigh*

Don't need to buy a charge cord, it's microUSB. AKA, the cord every non-apple cellphone has used for ten years. It doesn't need to be Sony-branded or anything.

Got any friends with a DS4? At this point, trying other controllers is probably how to go.

Sounds like you just have a faulty system altogether. There was an odd issue awhile back that circulated with both PS4 and XB1. People would be dropping their systems or the systems were shaken (in box, accidents, etc.) and the disc drive would go faulty. This may sound dumb and a little off, but trust me. Try lightly dropping the system (only about half a foot should do) onto a soft surface such as your bed or a pillow. This may resolve your second issue.

Trygon said:
Don't need to buy a charge cord, it's microUSB. AKA, the cord every non-apple cellphone has used for ten years. It doesn't need to be Sony-branded or anything.

Got any friends with a DS4? At this point, trying other controllers is probably how to go.

My friends aren't into gaming, so pretty much no. I was thinking about that, too.

Back
Top Bottom