Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Absolute Truths

dready

Star
just a thread about the realizations people come across at the most random of times, then feeling somewhat idiotic when they honestly think about it. ^^ feel free to post under here, but also to discuss and discover if there is a way to disprove the theories inside as well. :3

first off: take something able to be perceived as a thought or viewed, then add any emotion as well, and there is at least one person in the world who makes the statement true, another which makes it false, and a third which is inconclusive.

second: there is no such thing as inheritance of morals and ideals, only potential to embrace or shun the two.

third: there is always someone better off in the world than you, another who is in the same situation, and a third who is in a worse situation than yourself.

For your third point of view it not true, because there will be some one who is on the best possible situation. and in return there will always be some one that is in a situation that is the worst in the world. you just have to hope you never wind up in the worst one. But as long as you survive it can be pretty safe to assume you were not.

Nocturnal Pulse said:
For your third point of view it not true, because there will be some one who is on the best possible situation. and in return there will always be some one that is in a situation that is the worst in the world. you just have to hope you never wind up in the worst one. But as long as you survive it can be pretty safe to assume you were not.
interesting, didn't think of that. *nod* any truths that you've thought of?

Yes there is a truth. People are stupid. A person can be smart but people are stupid. when in a group the dumbest one is the one who controls it. The larger the group the more true this is. all it takes is a one person to start a group to become violet and destructive, and in larger groups any one that does not join in becomes a target. It's a sad fact to me.

i disagree with such a truth, due to how a group at my college is not lead by the dumbest in it. if that was the case then it'd be a run between newbie and pierce to be the head of the group. mostly our group doesn't work like such due to how open the entire ordeal is, and we don't give a crap of what happens outside of our happenings unless it involves food and free entertainment, then we swarm all over that shit. X3 don't get me wrong, we do dislike people (mostly the fashion students who keep trying to knock down our self-esteem by saying we don't know fashion, until they caught myself on a bad day and i ranted back on how we dress how we want to just as they dress blindly to what is in fashion without a second thought to it's capabilities needed for the day. i think i went a little too far when i pointed out that their tanning bed-legs shouldn't be the only things showing when it's sunny outside and they want to get an even tan) [/rant] but we don't become aggressive unless suitably provoked.

even then there isn't a 'i want to beat the crap out of this person, am i allowed?' ordeal, it's more of a 'that person annoys me.' 'there's a good chance that they won't be lasting for long here anyway.' mindset.

btw, thanks for the rant. haven't been able to do one in a while and it feels so nice to type so much again. ^3^

third: there is always someone better off in the world than you, another who is in the same situation, and a third who is in a worse situation than yourself.

The scale is off a bit here.

If you have these:

1) a bank account with any amount of cash in it

2) a wallet with any amount of money in it

3) a jar or place in your house with spare change in it

You are in the top 8% of the worlds population and qualify as 'rich'.

While the information doesn't change the scale above, it might help you feel less poor.

Something I've recently realized is that good and bad are really really abstract concepts.
The expression "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" really has a lot of truth behind it.
It sounds kind of dumb when I say it like this, but all ideas of aesthetics or quality are purely subjective.
Example, I dislike Country music. I think it's annoying and doesn't sound very intelligent. I have a lot of friends that agree with me, and thus I perceive what I think to be the truth. On the other hand, there are thousands, nay, millions of people who do like Country music. They might think it's soulful or calming or easy to relate to or what have you. And what right do I have to say that they are wrong?

That sounded a lot more insightful in my head but I don't really know how to word it. Hopefully you get the idea. And it can apply to a lot more things than just music tastes.

Okay I just remembered one I came up with a few years ago.

Heaven and Hell on earth are only the best and worst things that person has ever experienced.
Ex.
A spoiled rotten rich kid who got lived in a mansion and got everything he ever even thought of wanting would find living in a little apartment with only three basic meals a day pure Hell

On the flip side.

A poor kid who has been living on the streets who had to search though trash cans for anything he could eat living in a little apartment with only three basic meals a day pure Heaven

Heaven and Hell are all a matter of prescriptive and what is the best and worse thing you have ever experienced.

There's a school of philosophy dedicated to defining 'Truth'. There's some disagreement concerning what, exactly, constitutes 'Truth'. Being as philosophy as a whole can be construed as the search for truth, one wonders why they didn't hammer these things down to start.

This is known as 'Job security'.

Trygon said:
There's a school of philosophy dedicated to defining 'Truth'. There's some disagreement concerning what, exactly, constitutes 'Truth'. Being as philosophy as a whole can be construed as the search for truth, one wonders why they didn't hammer these things down to start.

This is known as 'Job security'.
Truth is a very powerful thing, but the one problem is that 'Truth' has too much of a measure of flexibility to it. People find their own truths, whether it is right or wrong. A universal "Absolute Truth" is also impossible to find, because there will always be at least one person that will be completely against it. I have nothing against the people, since I am one, but there are a lot of Christians that stick to the Bible on how Humans came to be, even though it is thoroughly and well disputed by Science.

Nocturnal Pulse said:
The problem with that in the real world, though, is there is no absolute "best possible situation." You'd think someone like Bill Gates would be in the best possible situation, what with having more money that he could possibly spend in the immortal lifetime he's working on getting. But rich people get that way because they're dissatisfied with what they have. "I have a personal Learjet, but it's last year's Learjet!" or "There's still a tiny bit of old growth forest we haven't yet logged!" No matter what they have, they want more, because they want it all, and you can't have it all when you have a half-dozen other superrich people all competing for the same total pie (and it does come down to just a handful of super-rich, a few dozen very rich families, and then gradations of the rest of us).

So while there might be a Platonic Ideal of the "best possible situation", you're not going to find it in reality, simply because of the nature of humanity. Greed itself will see to that.

Also, "worst in the world" depends on what category you're talking about. Frame of reference. No matter how bad something is, something could always get worse, and there's usually someone already there, right up until they die. I would say once you go below a certain threshold, it becomes, like art, a matter of individual taste. Is it worse to get your eyes eaten alive by ants first, or your testicles? Who can say, but both are pretty damn bad.

Actually, in "best possible," above a certain threshold it's a matter of taste, too. So I think dready's original Point 3 stands: there's always someone better or worse off than you, but after a point on each scale, it depends on your personal taste as to what qualifies.

You will get your heart broken.

People will let you down.

Things can always get worse.

As my grandma always said, if you miss one bus, another is just around the corner. I was always told this in reference to men, but it actually works for buses as well.

1) You will eventually, someday, die.
2) Though you may not know them yet, there is someone out there who's world will stop once you die.
3) Vampires don't, nor should they ever, sparkle when coming into contact with direct sunlight. It's just not right.

Those are my three truths ^ ^.

Interesting topic there dready.

Here are some random thoughts from me ....waste your time on it if you have some.

1. Everything/situation is a matter of perspective - something not good for one is good for others and viceversa
2. Everything is transient - here today, gone tomorrow
3. Absolute Truth itself is Absolute False or even Absolute Vacuum. In other words there is nothing that is Absolute.

second: there is no such thing as inheritance of morals and ideals, only potential to embrace or shun the two.

I've been thinking about this ever since watching a repeat of Louis Theroux's interview with the Westboro Baptist Church the other day. Sure, some of the kids have renounced the view of their parents, but watching the younger ones, who hold the God Hates Fags signs up, what chance to they have? If you're strong-willed enough you can imprint anything you want into your kids.

As for truths...whether it's a matter of fate or just random chance, the unexpected will always happen.

1: Effort is a rather meaningless way of trying to prove that you are worth something.
2: Success and failure is two sides of the same coin: they both teach a lesson.
3: Nothing in the world is absolute. Everything except one thing comes to a end - the only exception is death, and even that will be a fallacy sometime in the future.

Back
Top Bottom