Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Vampire: the Musketeering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in mind attempting to combine two of my favourite genres:

1) Dark Ages: Vampire / Mage: the Sorcerers' Crusade
2) Swashbucklering

I therefore will attempt to run a vampire game set in roughly the same place and period as The Three Musketeers.

The point of this game will be interesting stories rather than strict historical accuracy.

What do I hope to provide

Everything that Dumas offered; meaning, swordfights, intrigue, drama, a shifty cardinal, one-liners, all in a Paris by moonlight.

I'm not yet certain if I want this to be a Mage or a Vampire game; that'll depend on interest.

What do I want from you?

Please don't come to me with a character sheet and character you had from a previous game. This is kind of an odd concept, so previous ideas might not work.

Why am I doing this?

Because Dumas, as written, wrote a story that any ST could be proud of. And because I think that the courtly aspects of Vampire aren't paid enough attention to. In a setting like this one? Well, it will be a living, breathing part of both mortal and unliving life.

I know so very little of either system, but the idea intrigues me as I love swashbuckling and that era of French history.

I vote Vampire if you want the courtly aspect. Though I would be willing to try Mage.

As I said... vampire works best with the courtly intrigue, but my vote still goes for mage. Though, if there's enough interest on both sides... why not the power struggle between the two factions?

I'll spend the weekend avoiding Eurovision and reading what fluff there is about Paris during the time period from both gamelines. In the end, I think the 'conflict' angle appeals. The problem with that, though, is that in a three-way fight between being-true-to-Mage, being-true-to-Vampire, and being-true-to-Dumas, the French chap's going to win.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I'll have a go at trying to come up with an idea that would allow vampires and mages to co-exist and pursue interests and ideas. Hrm! this could go very good or very terrible...

Right. After some further thought and digging around, I'm going to have a go at doing this using some half-arsed mix of Mage-20 and MtSC. It fits the slightly more... whimsical nature of the idea, I suppose. And it has the added benefit of the characters being able to go out in sunlight.

If you're still interested, please drop me a PM with your character concept. If you've got no clue about Mage / old World of Darkness, don't worry! I'm delighted to hand-hold and teach as we go.

Depending on how much interest there is, it will either be a play-by-post game here (2+ people) or via IM (only one person).

Is this a traditions focused scenario? Or could the Order of Reason be involved on friendly terms?

(Maybe with the traditional idea of Cardinal Richleau as a villain, when the historical figure was actualy a patron of the arts and in many ways a good guy, putting Richleu as a high level ORder of Reason Operative and involving the Traditions with the Muskateers could be thematicly apropriate?)

Anyways, I'll start digging for a concept. :)

*Grins* I apreciate that you mentioned the redesing of Paris in the 1900s.

A few years before my father passed, we were talking about parkour. Dad explained to me that Napolean the Third redesinged the city in such a way that the roofs were all on the same level, making the development of modern free running posible. : )

Sorry, i just had a history geek moment. :)

History geeking isn't something to apologise for. It, after all, is what got me interested in playing Dark Ages Vampire rather than Masquerade :)

I like the image, though, of Napo3 deciding that Parkour should happen and ordering Paris redesigned so that France can be famous for yet more things!

New to the system, but might be interested in joining. Currently thinking of a bit of a dabbler, some magic. The artificer description seemed interesting.

Just want to say that I appreciate the "skill list" for different society roles.

If you want me to expand it to non-society roles, please say.

My general theory is to make the system-stuff as non-traumatic as possible. Which can be quite hard in oWoD.

For those new to the system / setting, one aspect that might not be apparent from the stuff I put up in the primer is the metaplot. Mage is always a game about conflicting ideas. At this particular time, the two major conflicting ideas are between the "Order of Reason" and "The Traditions". The Order of Reason doesn't really believe in magic per se; they rather see what they're doing as enlightened science. By contrast, the Traditions are Gandalf-esque balls-out point-hat-wearing high-magic. In the future, the Order of Reason ends up buying sharp suits. cyborgs, and leather jackets in bulk and becoming the technocracy. But again, don't let that worry you at this point. Here I'm mostly concerned with coming up with an excuse to buckle swash (or perhaps swash some buckle) in Paris with some particularly cool special effects :)

mystictiger said:
If you want me to expand it to non-society roles, please say.

My general theory is to make the system-stuff as non-traumatic as possible. Which can be quite hard in oWoD.

For those new to the system / setting, one aspect that might not be apparent from the stuff I put up in the primer is the metaplot. Mage is always a game about conflicting ideas. At this particular time, the two major conflicting ideas are between the "Order of Reason" and "The Traditions". The Order of Reason doesn't really believe in magic per se; they rather see what they're doing as enlightened science. By contrast, the Traditions are Gandalf-esque balls-out point-hat-wearing high-magic. In the future, the Order of Reason ends up buying sharp suits. cyborgs, and leather jackets in bulk and becoming the technocracy. But again, don't let that worry you at this point. Here I'm mostly concerned with coming up with an excuse to buckle swash (or perhaps swash some buckle) in Paris with some particularly cool special effects :)

I actually really love that kind of conflict. My last attempt to run a game had the central conflict of rule and divinity. It was an L5R game set after the Steel Chrysanthemum was defeated.

I'm currently working on a Bishop who is also a member of the Craftmasons. Picking from among all of the abilities is a bit difficult, but I am not varying *too* much from the list you provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom