Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Creationism vs. Evolution, making 'bullshit' sound sexy

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHN3JtyUXg[/youtube]

I'd take her suggestion, except book paper prolly chafes way too much. Could use to keep warm, though.

So can I really get a free copy of OoS?

Because I've been meaning to read it in full.

Alex said:
Ahaha, I love how he mixed in agnostics with atheists.

Quite a few atheists I know are agnostic.

Then again, I know quite a few agnostic theists, too.

Regarding hating church: not all churches teach that there is a problem between theory of evolution and the idea that there is a god. It's just YEC that have a problem generally.

Kawamura said:
Alex said:

Regarding hating church: not all churches teach that there is a problem between theory of evolution and the idea that there is a god. It's just YEC that have a problem generally.
He made agnosticism sound just like atheism, which as you know is not always the case. I just found it overly amusing how he basically made it sound like it was a plague upon the earth that must be exterminated.

I'm agnostic and I think that it's a possibility there could be some godlike persona somewhere. I do, however, tend to draw a lot of philosophies from a religion, though.

Kawamura said:
So can I really get a free copy of OoS?

Because I've been meaning to read it in full.

It's in the public domain - pretty sure you could grab it from Gutenburg.

Alex said:
I'm agnostic and I think that it's a possibility there could be some godlike persona somewhere. I do, however, tend to draw a lot of philosophies from a religion, though.

That's... and? I'm an agnostic atheist that thinks there could possibly be a god. That's sorta the point of the agnosticism: I don't claim to know one way or the other.

And I know I could get it in the public domain, but I would really like a snazzy copy. Especially since my taking a copy as someone who is at least slightly educated regarding the modern theories means someone who just doesn't know won't get fifty pages of potentially swaying bullshit.

That, and I really like books. And I have scissors. I could just remove the rant and have a nice copy.

Kawamura said:
Alex said:

That's... and? I'm an agnostic atheist that thinks there could possibly be a god. That's sorta the point of the agnosticism: I don't claim to know one way or the other.

And I know I could get it in the public domain, but I would really like a snazzy copy. Especially since my taking a copy as someone who is at least slightly educated regarding the modern theories means someone who just doesn't know won't get fifty pages of potentially swaying bullshit.

That, and I really like books. And I have scissors. I could just remove the rant and have a nice copy.
I'm not claiming to know there's one way or the other, now am I? :) Possibility is a very broad word.

I'm thinking about getting a copy myself, because it's a good read.

Kawamura said:
Alex said:

I'd just as soon not deal with any of them. They're all a big friggin headache to me and don't wanna deal with any church's bullshit. :|

Kingschoolyou said:
I'd just as soon not deal with any of them. They're all a big friggin headache to me and don't wanna deal with any church's bullshit. :|

I don't mind working with churches: usually they have good resources for charity reasons. Making up that infrastructure on my own would be a bigger headache for me.

Kawamura said:
Alex said:

Agnostics believe there is a God, but don't follow an organized religion. Atheists do not believe there is a God. Someone cannot be both, believing in two opposites; that's like flipping a coin and having it come up both heads and tails.

As_Day_Fades said:
Kawamura said:
Alex said:

Agnostics believe there is a God, but don't follow an organized religion. Atheists do not believe there is a God. Someone cannot be both, believing in two opposites; that's like flipping a coin and having it come up both heads and tails.
agâ??nosâ??ticâ??â??[ag-nos-tik] Show IPA
Use agnostic in a Sentence
â??noun
1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

Agnostics aren't sure if there's a god or not. Atheists are sure there's not.

As_Day_Fades said:
Kawamura said:
Alex said:

Agnosticism is a knowledge claim: one cannot know/doesn't know.

Atheism is a belief claim: one lacks a belief in a god or believes there is no god.

Irreligious is about religion: an agnostic atheist can be religious. A gnostic theist could be irreligious.

Not really related to the topic, but I thought it was kind of furry...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWBC0AnAAT0[/youtube]
around 4:50 he kind of says he doesn't believe women should have a right to choose. :p

Kawamura said:
As_Day_Fades said:
Kawamura said:

Agnosticism is a knowledge claim: one cannot know/doesn't know.

Atheism is a belief claim: one lacks a belief in a god or believes there is no god.

Irreligious is about religion: an agnostic atheist can be religious. A gnostic theist could be irreligious.
Hence, one can believe or not believe in the existence of a power, and then separately and simultaneously hold that no one can be sure.

That's just the believer/nonbeliever admitting that there's more out there than we know, and thus they may be wrong.

EDIT: Just putting your point into translated direct response, Kawa; you know how some casual readers don't get the implicit correlations, so I'm just making it explicit.

Aw man, that video. ;_; I noticed he said humans have six senses, which is actually wrong, with or without the 'common sense'.
Humans can sense their equilibrium, they can sense the location of parts of their body without looking at them, they can sense pain...even what we think of as 'touch' is a mixture of temperature and pressure senses.

As for the 'something from nothing' idea from the origin of life, people say that it violates the laws of thermodynamics to create order by random chance, but the fact is that the law only applies to closed systems, and the Earth has the sun pumping energy onto it constantly.

Even the Catholic church understands that the Bible can't be used as basis for a scientific observation. I remember seeing an interview with the church official in charge of the Vatican's observatory, and he explained excellently that the Bible was written down more than a thousand years before the emergence of science as we know it, so the Bible simply doesn't include any scientific fact.

But anyway, that's my religious rant. Maybe on Thursday I could pick a copy up before I go to class. I figure I probably live at a big enough college that they'll be handing out the books here.

As amazing and wonderful it is to try an imagine such a thing.....all it ever does is leave you with a headache and wondering. My point is.....does it matter???

BE HAPPY AND LIVE LIFE BEECHES!

Hey everyone, just browsing through here and happened across this thread; So excited, because the site I usually discuss religion on just axed the religion forums. Boo to them

Something I saw that intrigues me is how different people view atheism and agnosticism. I'm an agnostic atheist (and a humanist as well), so I'd like to clear something up, If I may.

Theism is the belief in God or a higher power (Vishnu, Horus, Apollo, the FSM, etc). The a- prefix inverts the meaning; thus an atheist is someone who does not believe.

Agnosticism is a bit trickier but follow the same rule. The root of the word is greek, gnosis, meaning knowledge. A Gnostic, then, is one who knows. The person who coined the term agnostic meant it to represent exact what its literal meaning is- one who does not know.

Therefor, one can be both agnostic and atheist without it being a contradiction of terms. In fact, as it is impossible to know 100% whether God or a higher power does or does not exist, it can be argued that we are all agnostics. In the same vein, we are all atheists to at least one god or even "thing" out there. No one, or at least very few, believe that Osiris is real; anyone who does not is atheistic regarding Osiris.

These are the actual definitions of the words.

I hope to be in here a lot if religious threads are common; it's a main area of study for me.

That sort of discussion really belongs in its own thread, yo : )

To quote Ghandi:

I don't hate the Christian God, I hate the Christians

I was raised as a Christian, and I was forced to attend church on Sunday mornings or my mother said that I would not be allowed to live in the house. Once I turned 18, I went to college, and have never set foot in a church again, much to my mother's dismay. I find it incredibly hard to be a Christian because there are alot of things in the Bible that I do not agree with. That, and I had terrible experiences going to several different churches and I found nothing but judgement, resentment, and scrutiny. I want to be a Christian, but I don;t know if I can. So therefore, I think I fall under the category of agnostic theist/deist.

Back
Top Bottom