Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Undertale :3

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this sooner. It's a great game packed with charm, humor and detail.

tumblr_nwysq3DbE91u4ggj0o1_1280.gif

Not to mention that killer soundtrack.

I am only an hour or two in, but I don't get the appeal. Do I have to get all the way to the end?

Personally I would say try and get to the end, but I know I was drawn into it quickly, the way he characters act with their own personality, the unique ways they act when you battle them, whether going pacifist or genocide.

I feel you need to go pacifist to get the most out of the first run, allows for so much more emotion and understanding as you interact with the characters much more. For example, if you kill Papyrus then Sans won't appear the rest of the game, really not allowing you to see his nature.

It's a unique and charming game for people who have never played a single game in their lives and are too stupid to realize that the game wants you to consider racist child-killers as more sympathetic than the child they're trying to murder.

Loved this game. It reminded me of Earthbound in a lot of respects, the only problem is that I can't bring myself to start a genocide run ;-;

That would be because it shamelessly tries to rip off Earthbound's style, without having even the slightest idea of what made Earthbound good.

No need to bother. It's boring crap that with a completely stupid final boss that affirms that yes, the game genuinely thinks the monsters aren't bad people for murdering humans, and an idiotic plot twist that comes out of nowhere, makes no sense, and literally exists just to screw you out of the good ending in future playthroughs for no good reason.

Minxette said:
That would be because it shamelessly tries to rip off Earthbound's style, without having even the slightest idea of what made Earthbound good.

No need to bother. It's boring crap that with a completely stupid final boss that affirms that yes, the game genuinely thinks the monsters aren't bad people for murdering humans, and an idiotic plot twist that comes out of nowhere, makes no sense, and literally exists just to screw you out of the good ending in future playthroughs for no good reason.

I saw it more as a homage to Earthbound than a ripoff personally, but the
bit at the end where you go around and talk to all the NPCs is rather blatant.
I'll probably end up doing a genocide run eventually but I would imagine that, if it's as bad as you say it is, it's more of a critique on violence and the whole "killing=victory" motif that's been present in many video games. Probably reading too deep into it, but I'll have a better idea when I actually do the genocide run.

The creator thinks the game is some deep commentary on RPGs, but apparently the whole "violence is bad" thing doesn't apply to people who try to murder children because of their race.

It's amazing that there's people stupid enough to think there's any intelligence in this shitty game.

Whoof! Saltier than the Dead Sea over here!

Gotta tell you, it takes some real skill to reach the Anita Sarkeesian levels of wrongness you've hit, to the point where I... genuinely have to wonder if you've ever played Undertale, or were simply given the cliffnotes from some drunkard and used that fragmented knowledge to get good and angry.

And hey, good call on the condescension. It's not enough to just say 'I don't like this game.' Oh no no, you had to go the extra mile and say 'I don't like this game and anyone who does is braindead retarded! Why can't they be as amazingly smart as me, when I'm clearly the smartest being in the universe!' I would've been with civil discussion, but then you decided to come in here twice just to lambast everyone in here, and the broader fandom, as an idiot. So I'd say that ship has sailed.

But let's humor you. Let's have a look at the 'child killing racists' as you call them.

Toriel- Doesn't have the heart to seriously hurt the player character and lives in paranoid fear that someone else might.
Papyrus- Doesn't know what's going to happen to the player character at the capital, and doesn't have the heart to seriously harm them.
Sans- Only bothers to fight the player character if they've decided to become a genocidal monster.
Alphys- Has zero interest in harming the player character and is just looking to make her life more interesting.
Mettaton- Was initially planning on killing the player character to become a star, but *GASP!* learned that it was wrong to do so!
Undyne- Was originally going after the player character for the sake of saving her people, and is justified if the player has killed any monsters. But *GASP!* learned that it was wrong to do so!
Asgore- Was stuck in an impossible situation between his own personal morality, and doing what he felt was necessary to save his people. It's also pretty much outright stated that he didn't personally kill any humans and indeed he has zero interest in harming anyone.

The other denizens of the Underground are mostly unaware that the player is human at all. Not that it isn't understandable for them to dislike humans, after all the humans did force them to live underground and the story stresses repeatedly that living underground is exceptionally hard to do.

But even that isn't the case because the true pacifist ending shows that the monsters integrate peacefully back into society. Why it's... almost as if one of the core aspects of the pacifist route is showing that such a reunification is possible.

If you're about done stroking your own ego on how you're oh so much smarter than everyone else, you know the way out.

I haven't played Undertale. I've seen maybe... an hour at most of the game. Even with that little exposure, I was able to infer most of what Mellow Yellow was saying, if not the major specifics. The game is clearly an "actual" commentary on video games, and implements ideas that nearly no other game out there has really done (at least with as much exposure). When was the last time you've played an RPG with a story that changes, significantly, based on whether or not you're a pacifist? The Japanese can only ever create stories where a pacifist character is forced to kill. I normally read/watch video game reviews and dissections by people far more intelligent and versed in the medium than I am, and this game is the one that normally comes up as an example of good game design. It seems that my opinion is, more often than not, in stark contrast to Mellow Yellow, but in this case I'd say it's in the same area.

Pacifism can make a difference.

The Battle of Okinawa. In what would later become the fiercest, bloodest battle in the pacific theater; the 307th Infantry, of the US Army, was tasked with scaling a 400-foot cliff to attack an entrenched, Japanese position. Unsurprisingly, and typical to the theater of war, the Japanese were an excited and brutal foe. Among the 307th was a Private by the name of Desmond Doss. Doss was a man who was an outright pacifist, who refused to so much as hold a rifle. In an organization that aims to create the most effective killing machines possible, it's impressive he managed to avoid a dishonorable discharge. During the Battle of Okinawa, Doss would damn near run through the explosive power of the Type 97, Japanese grenade; all kinds of small arms fire; and likely the near suicidal charges of Banzai warriors with no qualms about sticking you with something sharp. Why would he do this? Doss believed his contribution to the battlefield wasn't to take lives, but instead to save them. His heroic efforts, and they damn well still are, saved at least 75 US soldiers from a miserable death in the Ryukyu Islands (as beautiful as they are now). Doss would go on to have his leg shredded by the very grenades he was dancing around, and then get shot in the arm.

So what's the point? How does a heroic story and history lesson tie into Undertale?

Pacifism is interesting, and can make a great story. In a genre that is DOMINATED by action, violence, and death; Undertale decided to go in a different direction. It did not turn itself into a point and click, or place itself into any other non-violent genre. Instead it tackled the genre that has you kill more enemies than almost any other: the RPG. Like Private Doss, the game puts itself in an environment of expectations, and subverts them to do something different. Not only did it give you the option of NOT killing enemies, but also made you the hero for doing so. In any other game it was the objective that elevated you from a nobody to the hero of the land. You kill people, and as a result, the lives of the NPCs usually improve. In Undertale, you prove that humans and monsters can essentially co-exist by NOT killing anything.

But self-defense is okay, right?

I agree, self-defense is perfectly okay. However, what you need to realize is that this is a conflict of mistrust and old grudges. Both sides attack, because they assume the other side is out to get them. Bad blood leads to new blood. Undertale allows you to force everyone to realize that they don't need to fight. The protagonist never killed any monsters, and the monsters never killed him. Just like the protagonist subverts expectations, the game subverts genre expectations.

Also, depending on your sense of humor, the game has comedy.

I mentioned it in another thread, but the idea that a game is shitty really needs to be thought through. Ride to Hell: Retribution is a shitty game. ET on Atari is a shitty game. The CD-i Zelda games are shitty games. Superman 64 is a shitty game. Sonic '06 is a shitty game. Need I go on? Do I need to actually explain what a shitty game is?

There's a difference between not liking a game, and assessing a games objective quality.

MellowYellow said:
The other denizens of the Underground are mostly unaware that the player is human at all. Not that it isn't understandable for them to dislike humans, after all the humans did force them to live underground and the story stresses repeatedly that living underground is exceptionally hard to do.

You know, I'm amazed at how Undertale fans know absolutely nothing at all about the story of the game. It's almost as if you have to be outright delusional, to flat-out ignore that yes, the monsters are perfectly aware that you're human and that's why they're trying to murder you, in order to convince yourself there's any "charm" to the story.

But good for you. You think the story coming up with shitty excuses justifies the monsters trying to murder children because of their race. And I'm sure you don't care that the monsters accidentally murdering humans is part of the backstory and something you're not expected to even hold against them.

Which is beautiful, because the "best" ending is setting the genocidal psychopaths who don't give a crap if they're accidentally killing humans free, so more innocent people can die just because you're supposed to mindlessly think the monsters are perfect and innocent and flawless.

There is something truly screwed-up about Undertale fans.

(Oh, and Undyne doesn't give a shit that she tried to murder a child because of her race. All of the monsters just go from "rip an innocent child apart" to "BFFs!!!11!" because the game's writing is complete and utter garbage. But let's not forget: the game thinks not wanting to make friends with the bloodthirsty child-killing racists makes you a bad person.)

When was the last time you've played an RPG with a story that changes, significantly, based on whether or not you're a pacifist?

Plenty of times. Everything in Undertale is shamelessly ripped-off from other games, games made by people with actual talent and creativity. Anyone who thinks Undertale is unique in any way is an idiot, plain and simple.

Minxette said:
Plenty of times. Everything in Undertale is shamelessly ripped-off from other games, games made by people with actual talent and creativity. Anyone who thinks Undertale is unique in any way is an idiot, plain and simple.

Feel free to list em'. Be careful what you list, otherwise you're going to look really dumb.

I'm pretty sure it is not so much but hurt, but rather people being naturally defensive towards some one who is outright assaulting them for their opinion/love of a game. Not to say your wrong, just saying that But Hurt typically means some one is mad about losing in some way. I dont think anyone here lost anything to be but hurt about. Say for, the vindictive person that got kicked for being vindictive.

Any way, Undertale is a good game so far, love playing it. It is mainly the characters that make it great, their personalities are fun and each are unique. Other wise the plot is pretty meh so far. But thats my two cents. LOOOOVE~ Papyrus!

I may not have the game do to not having money and I mostly likely not get do to other games I want. But, I have seen a few play throughs and I do like it bullet hell/SMT/Mother game style. It nice game from what I seen.

Also Temmie is my spiritual animal.

latest

hOI!!!!!!

Quality can be taken so many ways. Some things are more universally obvious than others.

Personally? If it looks clunky, draws from a lot of places, is done in a style that strikes people as lazy and manages to get many people to care (beyond a universal 'what a garbage' response), it obviously managed something right in the execution. If that's the end result, I reckon that impact is as good a judge as any. So yeah, pretty good.

I played it once, never really caught on. I respect how it did certain things, that's about it myself.

Back
Top Bottom