Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Messagers?

Rook10

Star
I see a lot of people saying the prefer to use AIM or YIM. What is the logic behind that? I just don't see why that is preferred to the PM system on BMR. Could someone maybe explain this to me?

Could be any number of reasons. Better organization through messengers? Personal preference? Looking at something more of a "live" RP?

Some people find the IM more...fresh. You respond very quickly, so there's a much higher pace to it. Things move along very quickly.

I don't like them for RP purposes myself. But the above is the usual justification that I hear from those that do.

There is a certain intimacy with roleplaying over IM. Interacting in real time, you can sense that the other writer is right there with you, especially when you see "User is typing..." prompt. Usually, the roleplay is of a faster pace and is good for most one-shot and short term roleplays.

I am a really big fan of messengers, but can understand why some people would prefer PM and Forum roleplay. Some people like to take their time with their stories and write out a well thought-out response that might take several days to arrive. Those such as myself may prefer the quick real time mind-stimulating mode of roleplay to get into the zone and be completely absorbed by it.

Messengers are so much better for dialogue. It actually feels like a conversation between character, whereas long post format often leaves one guessing how their partner is going to respond to dialogue, and trying to write around that. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it just falls flat. Plus the immediate responses are nice. When i first joined I only wanted im Rps, but I have grown on forum and pm rps.

I'm just not a fan because if I leave the chat room I can't come back a review earlier posts. Also I RP a lot from my phone and YIM is no longer available on iPhones

That's understandable. Just thought I would share why some may to choose to go with that route. It's def not for everybody. ^.^;

No yeah I totally get how people like the sort of garuntee that youMll respond quickly. It's always a bit of a let down when you're going back and forth on PMs quickly and then the other person poofs for the rest of the day or something. I just regret not being able to RP with a lot of people who only use messengers because I feel like I'm missing out on some great fun hah!

Rook10 said:
I'm just not a fan because if I leave the chat room I can't come back a review earlier posts. Also I RP a lot from my phone and YIM is no longer available on iPhones

I know of two apps that support the YIM protocol on iPhones:
Trillian
IM+

Both are also available on Android.

Back
Top Bottom