The Bear and the Maiden Fair - A Forgotten Realms adventure (Rivine x Madam Mim)

Rivine

Supernova
A lone figure sat on one of the walls of Caer Callidyrr, the home of the Kendrick family, rulers of the Moonshae Isles. The wind whipped at his long brown hair and stirred his beard a bit, but he paid it little heed. It had been years since Owain Kendrick had been home, but the scent of the sea was still familiar to him. His hazel eyes turned to the sea, wondering which of the gods had decided to make a fool of him, to doom him to this fate. To be wed. Though he would not have been keen under normal circumstances, the one that confronted him was anything but; he was to wed Glinde, shield-maiden and daughter of the Northmen's king, Renner the Fury. If the daughter was anything like her father, then he had to wonder how long he would survive their vows.

"Owain!" a high voice cried out, causing the man to sigh.

A deft move mother, sending Alis to fetch me. He rose from where he had sat himself on the wall, standing on it for a moment and looking down from the parapet to see a girl of about five standing there. A frightened look was on her face for a moment, until Owain hopped down and then moved to the stairs, descending them to her.

Alis, with her mop of brown hair, looked at him and frowned, "You could have fallen!"

If only. The thought was a brief one and Owain put a smile on his face. "No! You would have caught me!" he declared and rushed over, sweeping his sister up, who giggled a fair deal. Then he began to walk up the path that lead back towards the keep. "I suppose that mother sent you out to find me?" he questioned the young girl.

His sister nodded and smiled, "Yes she did! And I found you!"

"You did indeed. Far easier now that I am home, isn't it?" he asked the girl, who nodded quickly.

It did not take him long to get within the main curtain wall of the castle where he sat her down on her feet in the courtyard. Alis took his hand then and drug him off towards the keep, evidently set on fulfilling her mission. As they made their way through the courtyard, Owain glanced around, marveling how little things had changed; the stables had been expanded a bit, as had the smithy, but the quarters for the various servants and laborers were still the same, as were the storage buildings that held all manner of reserves. The castle had been there a long while and he suspected that the walls would be in place still when his bones were dust.

Once they had entered the keep, he was quickly confronted by a woman of at least fifty years, shorter than he, with a stern look on her face. His mother, Alicia Kendrick, was both a warrior and a druid, a woman of faith and steel who had protected her realm for years. "You must get dressed. They will be here soon," the queen stated shortly. Owain flashed her a small smile and asked, "Can't I just enjoy myself for a bit longer? They can't be that close..." But then a horn sounded once, twice, thrice... the sign that longships had been sighted. Alicia looked to her son and said, "You best enjoy yourself. For today your marriage brings peace to our people."

"Ye Gods have you no bottom to your enthusiasm?" Glinde crawled up the woman's body, kissing her all the way up. The wench giggled when Glinde captured her nipple and teased it with the tip of her tongue as she grinned in a predatory manner. "You're like...the ever-burning flame. The over-flowing cornucopia of the gods. The bottomless well...mmm and just as wet." This she added as she slipped her fingers out of her slick cunt and across her clit.

"Oooohhh Lady Glinde..." the wench moaned, writhing under her touch. "You can eat from my cornucopia until your heart's content."

Glinde leaned up to nibble on her ear before kissing her deeply. "Well, we'll have plenty of time for that later, won't we?" she suggested before withdrawing abruptly, rolling over the strumpet beneath her and off off the cot. The horn had sounded and she knew what that meant; she poured water from a pitcher into a basin and began to clean herself off, wiping off the sweat and fluids. Glinde herself didn't care, but she didn't think it would quite be good form to show up smelling of sex.

"Later?" The girl propped herself up on her elbows and looked over. "What happened to now?"

Glinde smiled over her shoulder and winked. "Because I'm getting married, darling."

As she stepped onto land Glinde tried to remember the girl's name but she couldn't. Not that she usually did but the shield maiden was unaccountably nervous and trying to remember the names of the women helped her focus. Twelve in a week was slightly unusual for her, but it had been a last hurrah and gave her plenty to try to remember as they walked through the gates of the keep. Hanging on her father's arm like this felt weird; she was a grown-ass woman, she could walk herself.

"Remind me why I'm doing this," she murmured to her father.

"An alliance," Renner murmured back. "There are threats to both our nations, much larger than either of us...but together we can stand strong."

Glinde sighed. "Right. Just don't expect me to curtsy or nothin'."

Renner chuckled and it rumbled deep in his chest. "I'd sooner cut off my own beard!" Glinde had four older brothers, but he was fond of saying he had five strapping sons. He was aware of her...tendencies, but had kept them quiet for the eventuality that this day would come. As they crossed the courtyard she saw the royal family of the Moonsahe Isles come out to meet them.

"Prince Owain." Glinde inclined her head respectfully as they were introduced and shook his hand with a strong, firm grip. "I thought it was bad luck to your people to see the bride before the wedding?"

Owain had slipped out of the great hall soon after the horns had sounded, knowing full well the beehive that the place would become. Already he heard the increased shuffling and bustling as the servants began to prepare the space for the feast that would be occurring there later. For his part, Owain headed up to his room to ready himself. As he pushed the door open and entered he wandered over to the window that he had spent so much time looking out of in his youth. He leaned up against the wall and gazed out to the bay below, watching as a score of longships slowly made their way to the shore. Normally such a sight would have been cause for alarm, but instead the arrival of the ships would be celebrated.

As he watched the ships the prince could not help but wonder about his bride to be, Glinde. He had heard a fair bit about the shieldmaiden and all of it had spoken of her abilities as a fighter and a leader. But little else had made it's way this far south, nor had Glinde as far as he knew. It seemed that much of her efforts had been directed elsewhere and in helping her father consolidate his power. Though she had brothers, much of the talk was about the 'Maiden Fair', as many of the Ffolk had taken to calling her since the announcement that she and Owain were to wed had been read. The title was not said without sarcasm, for many doubted there was such a thing as a maiden amongst he women of the Northmen. More then a few times he had heard some whisper that her father or one or all of her brothers had likely done the deed, but Owain had made it clear that he would have no such talk about his bride to be.

Sighing softly he pushed away from the wall once the longships had drawn themselves up on the shore. He moved over to where a new surcoat hung on the door of his wardrobe. He took a moment to inspect it, noting that the thread that had been used to emblazon a bear upon the chest had been interwoven with fine strings of silver to make the bear appear as it should, an all the more regal at that. Well, she is expecting a prince old boy, you might as well give her one. With that thought he moved quickly, unbuckling his belt and tossing it onto his bed. Soon the tunic he had been wearing joined it, leaving him with just a plain white linen undershirt on. That done he went over to a mannequin that was in the corner of the room, upon which a hauberk of chainmail hung. But the mail was not that commonly worn by warriors in the Moonshaes, for the chains themselves were finer and shone like silver for it was not made of common steel, but rather had been crafted from mithril. The prince fetched it off the mannequin and slid it on easily, as if it were just another tunic. It was quickly joined by the surcoat, his finest belt, and a pair of fine bracers. The last piece of the ensemble was his sword in it's sheath, which he affixed to his belt. "Well, guess this will have to do," he stated softly.

By the time he had dressed and was stepping out the door his older brother, Gregory, was coming down the hall, scowling. "Hurry up. Your bride and her father will be here in moments. Do you want us to look like fools?!" the older sibling declared.

A smirk formed on Owain's lips as he walked by his brother and stated, "Well you are fool enough for us both." He broke into a trot then, a soft peel of laughter escaping him as he made his way down the hall and down the stairs, his steps silent.

Owain managed to make the courtyard and took a place between his mother and father. The former shot him a stern glance, while his half-elven father just smiled and shook his head. Owain was not supposed to be there when his bride arrived, but he was not about to wed a woman that he had never lain his eyes upon before. So he kept his hazel eyes focused forward to the gatehouse, where the Northmen were just coming through. His hazel eyes widened a bit as they settled upon the blonde woman that was on King Renner's arm and had to take a breath. Well, the stories he had heard had forgotten something rather important; how lovely she was to look upon. The rest of her appearance certainly lived up to her reputation, for she wore a leather tunic and trousers along with a great fur cloak, eschewing a dress.

Unable to help himself, Owain found his feet carrying him forward to meet the king and princess before they could be received by the rest of his family. His mind barely registered Renner introducing his daughter to him and Owain to her. But he was a bit surprised when she extended a hand to him. Owain grasped her hand in his own, noting the toughness of her skin. "Princess Glinde," the man murmured softly. At her comment about it being bad luck for him to see his bride he blushed ever so slightly and chuckled. "Some might think so. But I think that Lady Luck is more likely to smile upon us today."

He glanced to her father then and asked formally, "King Renner, might I steal my wife to be away from you for a moment?" His eyes drifted back to Glinde and he flashed her a smile, "That is, if you do not mind...." He hoped that both would agree, for he would like at least a small bit of time to get to know the woman he was to wed. Likely it would drive his mother mad that he was not adhering to custom, but his father would be able to talk her down.

When Owain shook her hand she noticed how soft it was. Well, it wasn't scholarly soft, but he had clearly not spent his life wielding a weapon consistently. The sword he wore at his hip, she surmised, was probably mostly ceremonial. Glinde had tried to step off the boat with her hammer but King Renner--whose great axe was strapped to his back--had insisted it was too aggressive for such an occasion. Owain had fine features, as did his father; there was clearly some other blood in there, the blood of some more delicate race, and Glinde was at once convinced she would have to spend the rest of her life defending her new kingdom. Men who looked like Owain didn't like getting their hands dirty, and the only way to keep a kingdom was through military might. When he called her "princess" she almost laughed but managed to stifle it behind a smirk. Rarely anyone ever called her that.

Ilsa! That was her name! It came back to Glinde once Owain had turned to her father and her thoughts had wandered to their wedding night. Ilsa and most of the others had been made to wait on the ship until she and Renner were within the castle walls, so as not to intimidate the Ffolk. Her father's deep voice broke through her thoughts as he acquiesced to letting his daughter walk with her soon-to-be husband. Renner the Fury was large, strong, stubborn, and lethal; everything a man ought to be, in Glinde's opinion, and this Owain seemed to be none of them. She was nearly as tall as he was and at least as muscular. Most of the men of the north were broad-shouldered, barrel-chested, and wild-looking. They were fierce men, men she could respect, men she trusted her life to...and Owain looked as though he'd never seen a battle in his life, with his high cheekbones and long, narrow nose that looked as though it had never been broken.

"You think I look like a princess?" Glinde asked once they were away from her father. She snickered and shook her head. Out of the corner of her eye she caught a glimpse of the woman who appeared to be Owain's mother. She had turned the color of brick. "You meet your wife and the first thing you do is piss off your parents, presumably intentionally. I approve." She favored him with an actual smile. The shield maiden allowed a few moments of silence between them before casting a glance over at the man she was to marry; with any luck if he wasn't strong he was at least kind. "So what is it you wanted to talk about, Prince Owain?"

Had he known her thoughts Owain probably would have laughed. His hands had grown softer over the past two or so years, but not because he did not know how to wield a sword. Rather he had been called to use his wits for the good of the realm, to represent the interests of the Moonshaes in the Kingdom of Tethyr. Though he had aided the kingdom on several occasions, most notably against a pirate band from the Nelanther Isles as well as a marauding group of ogres that had come down from the Snowflake Mountains. The deeds were not the most heroic, nor were great tales told (at least, not often) about the prince from the isles beyond the sea. But Owain was respected as a man who could hold his own in a fight. His wife to be would likely learn that soon enough.

But Owain's mind was more on the moment and the permission that Renner had just granted him to take Glinde and speak with her for a time. "Thank you King Renner," he murmured politely, then turned back to Glinde, flashing her a small smile. He had offered her his arm then, but the Northlander seemed more intent on escaping the courtyard. So Owain lead her off towards the 'wood' that his mother kept within the castle grounds. As they moved under the oaks, apple and cherry trees (amongst others), his bride to be asked if he thought she looked like a princess. Owain smiled, then shrugged, "You are very beautiful. More that I had anticipated or could have hoped for really." Looking over at her he went on, "But you have an air about you that is not soft like most princesses I have known. I suppose I called you that because it is your birthright more than anything."

When she brought up his parents though, a chuckle escaped him. "I can imagine that my mother is annoyed. But she has always been one for rules and decorum," he stated softly, then shrugged before he went on, "But father won't mind so much." Glancing over at her he took in her appearance, then commented, "I am my own person. Yes, I agreed to this because they asked me too, but I will still be myself." So he smiled wider when she asked why he had wanted to talk to her, and of course noticed how she had emphasized prince. "Please, call me Owain," he corrected her. Still with his gaze locked on her he went on, "And I wanted to just talk to you I suppose. It just seemed cold to me to bring two people together and wed them with them not knowing each other. We have both done this for reason larger than ourselves I suspect so..." He let out a small sigh then and murmured, "I just want you to know that if anyone will know how you feel about this, it will probably be me. It seems like we will be spending quite a bit of time together Glinde and I think it will be easier on us both if we can, at least, talk to each other."

Glinde laughed at Owain's admission that he hadn't hoped much for her in the way of physical beauty. "What did you hear?" she asked with a smile. "I enjoy hearing rumors about me, especially outside my own people. Am I a snaggle-toothed, monobrowed hag? Oooorrr am I fat, short, and hunch-backed with foul breath? Bearded like my brothers and father?" She shook her head. She knew what people said about her, including most of the ugliest rumors, and it amused her to watch the expressions of those who believed them when she showed up in person. Then he admitted that she didn't have an air about her like most princesses.

"That would be because I'm not soft like most princesses. Most people call me Lady, if they call me anything at all." Glinde shrugged as she searched for the correct term. "My father is more like what you might call a high chieftain. We're not a soft folk; we don't abide by the niceties and manners your family might. There's not often call for manners on the battlefield."

Owain led her into the trees and she silently prayed to the gods that he wasn't going to try and kiss her or any sort of romantic glop. Certainly she had a soft spot for a bit of romance, but it was typically hidden very deep down and not allowed to emerge. Glinde had been careful not to attach herself to anyone, lest she or they fall in battle, and to keep things less complicated while she was away. Her eyebrows raised mildly when he stated that he simply wanted to talk to her, to get to know her. She respected honesty and frankness.

"Well then," she said, leaning back on her heels. "Let's talk. I didn't expect you to want to get to know me in the--" she glanced up at the sun, "--three hours we have, but it's a pleasant surprise. I suppose the most important thing you should know about me, Owain, is that I'm not fond of men. As a gender, I mean." Glinde looked him in the eye and was unabashed about her admission. "I'll drink with them, I'll fight by their sides, I'll laugh with them, but I don't share their beds. I realize we're meant to produce an heir, so I suggest at some point we work out some sort of arrangement." She rolled her shoulders back, disliking even the thought but resigned to it, at least until she had a child. Another unpleasant aspect. "I would like to be friends, Owain...but my respect and friendship must be earned."

The prince arched an eyebrow as the shieldmaiden laughed. What was that about? But when she asked him about what rumors he might have heard, the laughter made more sense. But her wanting to know about it... well that seemed a bit odd to him. "Oh, well...." he started, then just looked at her for a moment. "You really want to know?" he asked her, then shrugged. Letting out a soft sigh, Owain then said to her, "None of those really. Most of the rumors I had been quashing lately stemmed from the announcement that was read to the people. Your father had sent a missive in which you were called a fair maiden... and many were calling that into question."

When the subject changed to what she and he father were called, he grunted a bit. "Well, I will just address you as Glinde if you do not mind," he murmured, smiling a bit. As she descried her people he nodded slightly, then said to her, "Your people are not the only ones who have known conflict. But I suppose that the Ffolk do not seek it out as much." As they made their way through the trees the man could not help but feel a bit more comfortable. He had always found the areas beyond the confines of cities to be more tranquil. So walking through the 'wood' was helping to quiet his mind.

As they walked his mind did turn to thoughts that some might consider romantic, wondering how she would respond to his advances. But as she paused and spoke frankly, those thoughts drifted out of his mind. Owain listened quietly for awhile, then grunted and nodded. "Well, that is... not something that I expected," the man commented softly. He had thought that she might object to things... but this? Owain looked at her, then smiled a bit and stated, "There could be worse things I suppose. But it seems that we do have somewhere to start; earning your respect." Owain then asked, "So... what might that entail in your mind?"

"Ah." Glinde nodded at the questioning of her maidenhood. "My father or my brothers this time?" She looked sideways at Owain. "I am not a sensitive woman, Owain. I know what's said about me and it doesn't bother me because I know the truth of things. And so long as I know the truth and you know the truth what the rest of them say doesn't matter, does it? Your enemies will slander you regardless of what you do or how good of a ruler you are, so might as well have a thick skin about it. I told him to take out the fair maiden bit, by the way; it sounded so damn silly to me, and I guess to your people, too. But that's a very old rumor." She seemed to dismiss it with a wave of her hand. "That's been circulating since I was old enough to come to public notice, mostly to discredit my father then my eldest brother. I suppose it's my turn, hm?" She smiled lightly, clearly amused by the amounts of pure bullshit people were willing to make up in response to change.

The calmness with which Owain accepted her preferences surprised her. Glinde knew that many kings and princes might be angry, demand to annul the agreement, possibly even force themselves on their wives. This princeling, however, seemed fine with it if not a bit disappointed. They were off to a better start than she had expected.

"Well, you're handling this all very well," she commented. "And for the record, given the circumstances and me being who I am I don't expect fidelity just as I ask you not to expect it of me. I enjoy women very much and I don't think I should be made to suffer just because of that. It wouldn't be fair to ask you to be true to me, either, for the same reasons." Glinde's tone was calm and reasonable, but really it was just a courtesy to Owain. If he expected fidelity from her or attempted to force her into it, he would be sorely disappointed; she was controlled by no one, and wasn't even faithful to the women she bedded. Often she didn't even know their names. And in all honesty the more sex Owain had with whomever he chose, the less he would pester her for it.

Then her husband-to-be asked about how to earn her respect and Glinde looked over him carefully. How to answer this without sounding like a godless psychopath? "Owain, I know the Ffolk and probably you consider my people to be...aggressive, warlike, probably even barbaric. Maybe we are. The fact is you and I come from very different cultures with very different ideas of what might earn a person's respect. I will treat you as a fellow being gifted with the light of the gods just as everyone else is, until you give me reason to do otherwise. But the fact is that for my people, respect and admiration come at costs you might find...repugnant. Scholars and learned men are laughed at; the men worth respect are those skilled at fighting, fucking, and killing. Not necessarily in that order." Her eyes flicked over him appraisingly. "I come to truly know and respect a man while sharing a foxhole, a game kill, or a woman. And I'm sorry but to me you don't seem the type to start a war or partake in what you might consider debauchery to earn your wife's good opinion."

Owain arched an eyebrow as she said that she was not sensitive. Nodding a bit the man then said to her, "Well we will not be enemies anymore now. I have made it clear to many that I won't have them speaking ill of my wife... or wife to e as the case was." The prince shrugged a bit before he went on, "Well let us not worry about it. You seem more amused about it than anything." So having said that he let the subject drop and just chuckled a bit, shaking his head. One positive thing about Glinde so far, beyond her lovely appearance, seemed to be that she had a rather thick skin, which he liked.

As the conversation turned to her inclinations, Owain smiled as he said to her softly, "Well what is the point with being upset? We have just met and well... you are who you are." But his mind was swimming over the possibilities and the issues that this would bring up. His own religious and philosophical beliefs lead him to be accepting of all manner of things. After all, what was the point of She was right, they would have to come to some type of arrangement. So when she commented that he would not have to stay faithful he grunted. "Well, that is good I suppose," Owain commented before he went on, "But there will still be the matter of heirs, like you said. We can discuss that later though."

He could not help but wonder, again, if the gods had thought this was funny. Glinde did not seem as insufferable as he thought she might be. But he was starting to think that there might be other issues... like what she respected men for. He grunted a bit, then said to her, "Well, seems like we will have a fair bit to do after we have wed." The prince looked over at the blonde woman as he went on, "Although I will not be starting a war for you, I had actually arranged for us to go to my family's hunting lodge tomorrow." With his gaze on her, a small smirk formed on his lips as he murmured, "Though you are rather wrong on one count... " he moved a bit closer and asked, "We still have three hours. So shall we bond a bit?"

Glinde was beginning to like him a little bit. Owain was friendly to her and while in her culture that might get a man laughed at for being weak she didn't mind it so much. It was strange to be around a man who wasn't gruff and surly until she got to know him better, but it was a decent kind of strange, one she thought she could live with. She knew that she would just have to keep her own cultural insensitivities in check; they would be stuck with one another for the rest of their lives, and if they were to at least be friends it wouldn't do to hurt his feelings by poking fun at him for not killing things on sight. She nodded when he suggested they discuss the production of heirs later. She had heard that there were certain times of the month in which a woman was more likely to get pregnant, but she hadn't the faintest idea of when that might be.

"Oh we've got our work cut out for us," she agreed. "We've got a lot of work to do after we wed, but if I can be frank you aren't quite the simpering, weak-wristed prince I had expected to meet. It's a pleasant surprise." He murmured something about her being wrong on one count and Glinde raised her eyebrows, glancing at him and smiling. So debauchery was still on the table. Perhaps they would have a decently happy marriage after all. "Hunting sounds like something we would both enjoy," she responded with a note of approval in her tone. "How is it your people hunt, then? I imagine our methods may be quite different. Or would you rather bond over something else?"

"Aye, we do," Owain echoed in agreement of his own. "But I have heard and seen that all marriages take work. Our will just be a bit.. different... I suppose." Before he had viewed it as simply being a duty and had only hoped that he would get some pleasure from it. When he had first seen her, he thought that perhaps there could be some magnetism between them. But now... well now he was hoping for them to at least be able to stand each other. Considering how the conversation had gone so Owain was thinking that they would at least be able to be amicable with one another. Better than he had feared, worse than he had hoped.

So when she commented that he was not a simpering and weak-wristed prince, Owain had to have himself a laugh. His eyebrows rose a bit as he asked her, "Did you think that the sword was just for show? Well, it is partially, considering it plays a part in the ceremony later, but I do actually know how to use it." Shrugging slightly he admitted then, "I might not have faced any Northmen, but I think that even the strongest of you pales in comparison to ogres and trolls."

He noticed how she arched an eyebrow and glanced at him, which made him smile in kind. She might not like men, but Owain could not help but think that she looked very striking indeed when she smiled. A small chuckle escaped him when she mentioned hunting as being something they could both enjoy. The man then commented, "Well, I am quite fond of does I must admit. And it seems that we share that inclination. So yes... hunting together... that could be quite fun indeed." The prince fell silent then, curious to see if she would pick up on his not too veiled innuendo.

Glinde fixed him with a 'look' when he insisted that even their strongest warriors paled compared to other monsters. "Trolls do present a problem sometimes," she acquiesced, "but that alone makes it clear you've never faced my people. We've driven ogres back from our lands a number of times. And yes, I did think the sword was somewhat for show. I'm not overly fond of swords; they break easily against armor and bone. Most of my people prefer hammers and axes." She had bristled at her people being called, essentially, inept against some of the larger monsters that threatened to take over their lands. It was a grave insult to a Northman's honor to suggest that he would be unable to defeat any foe, but perhaps he didn't know any better. She'd give him a pass...this time.

The topic turned to hunting, however, and she let the insult drop. Owain smiled back at her and Glinde felt a little more at ease, particularly when he made his own innuendo. "I'm immensely fond of does," she agreed, "though I would never begrudge you spearing yourself a buck, if you had such an inclination; I hold no grudges." The playful innuendo was amusing. Perhaps they'd get along well after all. "I think perhaps through hunting we may find more in common than we first thought."

"It seems that I have erred in some way," Owain commented softly, noting the change in her tone and disposition. That look she had shot his way was more than enough to illustrate her intent. The prince considered for a moment, wanting to be careful with his words. Finally he spoke, his words measured and thought out, "I had been speaking of strength only in the raw, physical sense. I know the history between our peoples is one of violence, one of death on both sides. I do not wish you and I to embody that history." The prince then did something odd and inclined his head to her slightly, apologizing, "Forgive me for any insult Glinde. It was not my internet."

When the subject moved on to weapons he grunted softly. "A sword can be quite versatile I have found. But we all have out own preferences. Personally I like my blade in one hand so that I can work a spell in the other," he told her, a mischievous smile on his lips. "Say what you want about swords, it is hard to argue against a cone of fire.."

A slight shrug was his initial answer to Glinde's own innuendo. Shaking his head, Owain replied, "Thank you for that allowance, but I prefer the does. Far more... tender." Smirking a bit he looked at her and admitted, "Now I'm very much wishing that we had time for a... hunt... of our own. I am sure that you have some Nothlander techniques I could learn from." Moving over to stand before her he locked eyes with her and grinned as he said to her, "But I am no soft prince. I think that you would be surprised to see what I can do with my spear."

Glinde had accepted his apology with a grunt and a nod. They had been getting along rather well and didn't wish to sully the mood any further. She still didn't like swords, though, regardless of how versatile he found them.

She stopped when Owain moved in front of her and grinned. Glinde smiled back and stepped around him. "I'm interested to see how the does find your spear," she said, "as it's all in the way you use it to achieve your goal. I can appreciate a man who can use his spear to successfully take down a doe. But you're right, there are a good many techniques I could teach you." She glanced sideways at him and smiled before glancing at the sun again. "Oh three hours is more than plenty of time for a hunt of our own, I should say," she commented off-handedly. "I know where we could find a doe to hunt, if you don't have any roaming the castle grounds. You ah...have hunted before, have you not?" Their planned debauchery might take a bit of an awkward turn if he were a virgin, after all. But on the other hand, if he were then she could teach him, train him, groom him. A win-win, she figured.

As she stepped around him, Owain could not help but chuckle a little bit. She really was a bit of a feisty one it seemed. But he shifted once again to move along beside her and continue the stroll through the grove. He listened as she spoke of how a man could use his spear, which made him smile once more. However it was when she mentioned the techniques that he had to comment, "Well I do not depend solely on my spear, let me assure you. I have other skills to use in a hunt that does tend to find quite... enjoyable."

When Glinde mentioned a hunt of their own though, he looked over at her, his eyebrows rising. "You wish to hunt? Now?" he asked with a bit of surprise. Owain was silent for a moment, then started to laugh a bit and shook his head. "Well you do have quite an interesting attitude about hunting," he found himself saying, then glanced over at her to add, "Can't say I find fault in it." He had always had a more liberal view on sexual matters than many of the Ffolk, though his people were not nearly as conservative as some were on the mainland. "And don't you worry yourself, I've hunted plenty of times."

They came to the other end of the 'wood' and he considered for a moment. "Well, I know of a doe or two who might be willing to help us. Though I am fairly curious to see what you enjoy to hunt. Perhaps we should flip a coin to decide who's doe we chase down?"

Glinde laughed at Owain's question. "You're the one who said you wished we had the time," she pointed out. "All I'm saying is that unless you're doing it on purpose, taking three hours to bring a doe to release--of death--generally means there's something wrong. As a hunter, anyway. As for the sport itself I've always been of the opinion that it's good for the spirit and ought to be done as often as possible. And one must hunt all sorts of game; variety is the spice of life, after all."

She was relieved when he assured her this wouldn't be his first time. A virgin to train would have been nice, but probably a bit tedious. With women, at least, she'd found that the more experience they had the better the sex was. She tilted her chin and looked at him sideways approvingly when he said he didn't find anything wrong with her appetites. She'd expected him to be prudish when it came to carnal desires, and maybe the rest of his people were, but at least she was starting to feel like she would have basically free reign with Owain. She followed him to the other end of the grove of trees and watched his expression when he stopped.

"Oh mine may be well tired out," Glinde admitted with a smirk. "Though absolutely willing if you're unable to track down a few for us."

The prince could not help but chuckle a bit and shake his head as Glinde spoke. She had a point, he had said that he wished that they would have time. "Oh, but what is wrong with savoring the hunt? Surely you enjoy bringing a doe to her fall over and over, just as I do," Owain retorted, smiling warmly all the while. But it was her insistence that variety was the spice of life that made him arch an eyebrow. Looking over at her he said in an even, diplomatic tone, "Well now you are going back on what you said earlier it seems. You prefer variety, but only enjoy does? It seems that you have missed quite a bit that life has to offer you, from where I am standing."

As they paused at the grove's edge and she made the point about her doe, he found a smile on his lips again. "Worn her out already? Well my wife to be, I should be mad that you have partaken without me," he jested a bit. "If I were an angrier man, I might give your ass some well deserved spankings." He paused then and took a step back, looking at her butt for a moment before he murmured, "Though might have to give it a few just for fun..." After that he walked past her, winking as he told her, "Come on. I know where we can find a doe for our sport."

Without waiting for her, Owain lead the way, assuming that she would follow along. Owain lead the way through the castle's outer wards, knowing the vast complex quite well. But before long he had her walking along one of the outer walls and paused. Towards the end of the wall there was a small tower that was quite open on all the sides. Standing on a balcony was a young woman, gorgeous and certainly not of native stock. "That is Dua. She is the daughter and apprentice of our falconer. They are Calishites, making her a rare done indeed," he commented. Glancing over at his wife to be he smirked and added, "And also far more... liberal... than many of the Ffolk lasses."

"Nothing wrong with savoring it," Glinde agreed, inclining her head. "Like I said, there's only something wrong if you're taking three hours on purpose. And I do prefer a variety," she added. "Does come in many sizes and with many different markings." She arched an eyebrow and looked sideways at him, knowing exactly what he was suggesting. Already she was going to have to sleep with him to produce an heir, wasn't that enough? The look on her face clearly indicated that he oughtn't push the point. The proud shield maiden already had to sleep with him, there was no sense in adding insult to injury or trying to convince her to like it.

Her eyebrows raised higher when Owain commented he ought to spank her. "You may try," she said slowly. "It would be amusing to see your attempts, anyway. She's my doe, after all, and we weren't even on Moonshae shores yet. Let us be clear about one thing, Owain, lest it cause problems: unless I say so, what's mine is not automatically yours."

It was a marked turn in the tone of their conversation, and really Glinde did want to get along with him and save the afternoon. After all, she'd shared a bed with as many as six women at a time but never a man. But Owain was pushing boundaries to see where she stood, and she had to show him where those boundaries were. Regardless of how she viewed other women--silly and easily seduced, really--Glinde was no one's property and would not bend to someone's will just on the basis of being her husband. The Northfolk were raised better than that, Glinde especially. Renner had made no difference in raising his daughter versus his sons; he wouldn't permit his eldest to submit to another baselessly and so his youngest wouldn't, either.

Owain lead the way across the grounds to one of the outer walls. Glinde followed his gaze up to a small, open tower and smirked.

"Aye, I've heard the Calishites were dusky and fair, but never have I seen them with my own eyes." Her eyes roamed Dua's form none too chastely...or subtly. "So! Do you mean to corner her here in the open, or do you prefer a more ah, private hunt?" Glinde looked over at her soon-to-be husband, serious for a moment. "I do have one rule: she says no, we leave her alone and find someone else, no questions. That is what separates my people from barbarous heathens and I intend to keep it that way."

"Well, I sometimes take my time I must admit. But three hours would be a bit of a stretch," he granted her, smiling. "And does are quite wonderful creatures." Owain was really starting to like Glinde, especially since they had found some commonality. The prince did suspect that her lust for battle likely exceeded his own, but, from his point of view, fighting and bloodshed was something to be used as a last resort, rather than a first. After all, why fight someone when you could just as well use diplomacy? That view, he knew, was a matter of their different cultures though. The Ffolk, at heart, were peaceful, interested more in providing for their families and living their lives, but when roused, they could be a terrible force, as many a Northman had found out in the past.

However, when she spoke next, it was clear that she had not taken his comments about spanking her as a jest. Sighing softly, the prince commented as they walked, "Glinde, you really must learn to shrug things off a bit. I was having a go at you, more than anything. Although you do have quite the nice posterior." He could tell that her mood had soured more than a little and realized that he had done something to remedy that. Looking over at her, Owain spoke in a conciliatory tone, "Among the Ffolk, husband and wife are supposed to share as equals. But you have made it clear already that our marriage is to be different and, considering the situation, I have accepted your terms. I know that, largely, you will wish to be unconstrained and I can oblige that for the most part. You can enjoy your women to your hearts content. But we will need to work together on some things, and not just to produce an heir. So, whatever I said to offend, know that it was not my intent. I would much rather we were on agreeable terms and I am sure you feel the same."

Thankfully they arrived at the wall before to long and the prince watched his wife-to-be, noting her smirk and the apparent hunger in her eyes. Well, it seemed that they had similar tastes when it came to their prey. "Aye, she is quite the lovely lass," the prince agreed softly, a smirk of his own playing upon his lips. He was about to respond to her question about a private or more public hunt when she cut him off, telling him of her rule. The warm look on his lips dissipated slightly and he looked at her evenly. "Do you think I am some manner of cur? That I would force myself on a woman?"

Sighing he then stated, "Never mind now. We can discuss that later. Right now I would rather hunt." Having said that he began to move along the wall once more. When Glinde caught up to him he then added, "Dua has a private apartment at the top of the tower. She rather likes to make teas for people who pay her a visit. I think you will find it is a rather enjoyable hunting ground."

It was not long before Dua noticed their approach, a smile forming on her lips. She moved in from where she had been on the balcony and could be seen returning the falcon that had been on her arm to a cage within the tower. That done she moved to stand in the entrance from which they were approaching. With a bow she murmured, "My prince. Come to take a bird on a hunt?"

Owain smiled and shook his head, then said softly, "No Dua. I've come to introduce you to my wife-to-be... and have some tea, if you do not mind."

"I realize that husband and wife are supposed to share as equals," Glinde conceded. "My people are much the same way. However, given the circumstances I think it would be wise for us to for the most part be equal, but separate. I'll work with you, Owain, and I will do my best to meet you halfway on many things...but I am my own person and I will stay that way."

They arrived at the wall and Glinde looked up into the tower. When Owains look fell, however, she realized she had offended. "Of course I don't think that," she replied evenly. "But the line between seduction and force or coercion can be very fine indeed. Many men, I've found, don't realize where that line is. It was mainly a ground rule I put out there now in order to avoid any awkward encounters we may have in the future. I apologize if I offended, it wasn't my intent."

She moved with him along the wall and nodded when he informed her of Dua's apartment. Really she enjoyed a good encounter out in the open where anyone might see; the risk of getting caught or of making someone passing by jealous was exciting to her. But she didn't know Owain, nor he her so she didn't begrudge him privacy. Dua noticed their approach and Glinde smiled back pleasantly. Had Owain said "teas" or "tease"? Her eyes flicked to the cage where the falcon was being returned, but she said nothing. The Ffolk weren't one with the land like the Northmen and she understood that, but she herself would keep no animal caged.

"Lady Dua." Glinde bowed slightly at the waist respectfully before taking her hand. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She brought Dua's hand to her lips, leaving a gentle kiss on her fingers before dropping it and smiling coyly.

Owain grunted a bit and shrugged. "I was not asking you to be another person. But this is not just about you and I alone. It is about the both of us, together," he stated softly. After that the man let the subject drop, figuring that they would have ample time to discuss the topic later. Soon enough his mood had turned more foul though, thanks to her insinuation via rule. He listened to her apology without a word, letting her lay out her case. In the end he glanced over at her and asked, "And what makes you think that I am most men? I think I have treated you more than fairly. Why would you think I would do otherwise with others?" But then he shook his head and said, "All is forgiven. Let us enjoy ourselves instead of bickering. Hmmm?"

Thankfully they were soon in Dua's company and already Owain was thinking of the possibilities that might bring up. He watched as Glinde took the caramel woman's hand and kissed the back of it. The prince had to smile at that, for he noticed how smooth his bride's actions were. This was certainly not her first hunt.

Dua, for her part, blushed fiercely. "I... I am no lady, as you must be," the younger woman commented softly. Dua glanced to Owain, then back at Glinde before she spoke, "Won't you both come upstairs then? It is a lovely day and I would love to have some company."

Owain smiled and said, "Oh, it would be our pleasure to join you. Please, lead the way."

The Calishite turned away then and moved off, the light dress she was garbed in waving softly in the breeze, helping to highlight were rather lovely form. Owain took a moment to appreciate her, then looked over at Glinde and smiled. "What do you want to bet that she is wearing nothing under that dress?" he asked her.

Glinde opened her mouth to answer but snapped it shut when Owain changed the subject. She thought he was most men simply because he was most men and hadn't given her any reason to suspect otherwise. Certainly he was different compared to other Ffolk and possibly other royalty, but so far he'd been no different from any man she'd seen in way of views or temperament. Clearly he was used to people thinking the world of him off the bat and that irked her. Unimpeded admiration made it difficult for one to keep humble and spoiled a person. Regardless, she let the issue drop for now.

"Well, they do call me Lady Glinde," she admitted to Dua with a small but charming smile, "so I suppose you're correct." Glinde made no effort to hide her rather lascivious gaze as she watched Dua walk up the stairs in front of her. The sway of her hips was a lovely distraction indeed. She smirked when Owain asked his question and leaned over to murmur, "What do you want to bed that I can find out before you can?"

Dua couldn't make out what they were saying but pretended not to hear anything at all. It wasn't her way to ask questions; discretion, after all, was key to having an affair with the future king. It was a bit awkward that he'd brought his three hours bride-to-be to see her, though, and she wondered silently what exactly she meant by it. In her tower room she put a kettle on and busied herself fixing the tea.

"Please, make yourselves at home," she offered, gesturing at the comfortable-looking chairs.

Glinde took one, leaning back and watching Dua as she worked. "I had heard that Calishites were a beautiful people," she remarked casually, "but really the stories do them no justice. Are your people all as exquisite as you, Lady Dua?" She had known from the first that Dua was no lady, but persistent flattery got you everywhere.

As soft blush spread over Dua's cheeks when Glinde admitted that she was a lady. She had always known that the day would come when the prince's parents would find a suitable match for him. Her heart was pounding a bit as she felt both nervous, happy for him and scared of what this would mean for what she had shared with the man.

Owain, for his part, had noticed that his lover was acting more than a little subdued. He would have asked her about it if Glinde had not proposed a different kind of bet. The prince's eyes moved to the shieldmaiden as a small smile formed on his lips. "Well now, that is quite the bet," he complimented her softly. The man considered as they moved up the stairs, then stated, "I will wager this; the loser is not allowed to orgasm until we have consummated the wedding." He was not sure if she would agree to such a wager, but he was more then willing too. After all, about the worst that could happen was that he would be really wanting to lay with her later. Although, he was already yearning to do so...

By then they had reached the apartment and Dua had bid them to sit. Owain moved to a chair and settled in, watching the Calishite for a moment before Glinde spoke. When she did he glanced over at her, arching an eyebrow, then looked to Dua to see what effect the compliment had.

The caramel skinned girl was blushing and smiled ever so slightly. "You flatter me lady Gilde," she murmured softly, then went on, "But, in truth, I have never been to Calimshan, so I would not know."

It was then that Owain decided to interject. "You might find this intriguing Dua... but my wife to be actually prefers the company of women," the prince stated bluntly.

Dua looked over at him and blinked, then blushed even harder. "I... see...." she half whispered, then looked to Glinde and smiled.

Glinde grinned at Owain's proposed wager. They had to consummate their marriage anyway, so why not make it a little more interesting? "Challenge accepted," she murmured as they continued up the stairs.

Dua for her part was rather subdued and seemed shy. If Glinde was reading the situation right and she had been Owain's lover, she absolutely couldn't blame the woman. It was an awkward situation indeed. Still, watching the color rise to her cheeks was amusing; she liked her chances at winning the bet. She opened her mouth to continue their conversation when Owain decided to interject, completely off-topic. She glared at him, disliking his blatant cheating. Glinde valued fair play and if this was how he tried to win things she would have to be quite careful when dealing with him in the future.

"Does this make you uncomfortable?" she asked gently. The shade of red her face had achieved was both admirable and attractive. Glinde sat closer to the edge of her seat, watching the Calishite carefully.

With the game now afoot, Owain had every intention of winning. It seemed that Glinde had much the same notion, but since he already knew the answer at the heart of the wager, he figured that he had the advantage. Though the prince did often deal fairly with people, there were two areas in which he often enjoyed having advantages; love and war. As the old adage went, all was fair in those two situations.

Dua blushed more as the Lady asked if she was uncomfortable. The other woman shook her head a bit and looked down for a moment. "Not in any unpleasant way," the Calishite murmured softly. A small smile spread across her lips as she looked up at the blonde Northwoman. "I too have such inclinations... amongst others."

Owain spoke up then, smiling himself, "Dua is a rather open minded lass. Would you care to show Glinde what you like to wear under your dresses? I think that she would be most interested in it..."

Back
Top Bottom